• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Diglet

Neo Member
thaOwner said:
I heard it kinda does but man, watching videos of people playing it the old fashion way seem like the way to go though.

I'll probably try it. Hopefully It'll do something.

Tarazet

OH GOD WHAT I HAVE DONE

2q9a0d2.jpg

This is going to be a labor of love.

I thought, "5 year olds who can barely read play this game. How hard can it be to play it knowing no Japanese?"

I found out. :lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
sonarrat said:
OH GOD WHAT I HAVE DONE

2q9a0d2.jpg

I thought, "5 year olds who can barely read play this game. How hard can it be to play it knowing no Japanese?"

Follow Psypokes.com Crystal guide, if required. Most of it stays true to the new titles, and can help you figure out where to progress next without totally spoiling the adventure.

As for me, I've bascially caught everything I can. Reset for legends, ES Dratini, etc. I've started breeding for Dragon Dance Crawdaunt, but it's going slowly and after putting in 30 hours over 2 weeks, it's probably time for a Poke-Break. :lol

It can be tough, I played Pokemon Yellow through in Japanese when I was like 17, didn't understand a word of it.

Fantastic little games if you're just learning the language though. No kanji = anyone with basic hiragana and katakana skills can get by with it.

EzLink

Banned
Oh hellll fucking yes. For all you Plat owners who may not be following the platinum thread, there will be another WiFi Shaymin event for NA starting September 28th. I missed it the first time around (hell, i guess i'm not even sure if there was a first time around or not) but i'm pretty fucking pumped

Now give me fucking Arceus, Celebi, and Deoxys!

...you only get Gen 1 and 3 starters once you beat the game? I want Squirtle...boo. :(

Oh well, I might actually try to go through the game with my first "cute" runthrough. I usually try to pick what I think are the coolest or strongest, except legendaries, but Diamond reminded me how easy that makes the games. A team with Garchomp and Tyranitar will run train through fools. This will obviously take a lot of baby Pokemon. I'm looking at bulbapedia though and both Magby and Smoochum's articles say that they can only be available via trade. This doesn't make sense to me; surely this has to be wrong. You can still breed them right?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm planning to model my HeartGold run after the one I did for Platinum:

- Grass starter.
- Use only Johto Pokemon (#152-#251).
- Use only the earliest Pokemon that can be found unless it causes type redundancy or inadequate HM distribution.
- No HM slaves.
- No TM usage (except for stuff like Flash, which used to be an HM anyway).

I used to just plow through these games by overleveling the starter and using nothing else, but I've found it more fun to try and make a usable team out of the common, mostly-unremarkable critters that populate the earlier areas of the game. From start to finish, my Platinum team was Torterra, Staraptor, Bibarel, Kricketune, Luxray, and Bronzong. Only Kricketune failed to carry his weight in the endgame, and that was partly because I decided to tackle the E4 with my entire team below level 50.

I'm finally getting around to finishing up all the various odds and ends in Platinum. Looking forward to HGSS!

Espada

The Crimson Blur said:
...you only get Gen 1 and 3 starters once you beat the game? I want Squirtle...boo. :(

Oh well, I might actually try to go through the game with my first "cute" runthrough. I usually try to pick what I think are the coolest or strongest, except legendaries, but Diamond reminded me how easy that makes the games. A team with Garchomp and Tyranitar will run train through fools. This will obviously take a lot of baby Pokemon. I'm looking at bulbapedia though and both Magby and Smoochum's articles say that they can only be available via trade. This doesn't make sense to me; surely this has to be wrong. You can still breed them right?

That's probably referring to their availability in the wild in the game. Being baby pokemon, of course you can get one by breeding a female Magmar with something (or a male Magmar with a Ditto).

EzLink said:
Oh hellll fucking yes. For all you Plat owners who may not be following the platinum thread, there will be another WiFi Shaymin event for NA starting September 28th. I missed it the first time around (hell, i guess i'm not even sure if there was a first time around or not) but i'm pretty fucking pumped

Now give me fucking Arceus, Celebi, and Deoxys!

Awesome, I missed it the first time they offered it. I'm fully expecting Arceus to get the Giratina/Shaymin treatment when his movie is aired in the U.S. next year. Well, the event Arceus anyway.

Espada

The Shaymin you had to go to a Toysrus to get (the movie one) also triggered the Gracidea flower event. It's definitely good to hear that that's not a one time deal.

Tarazet

I'll probably EV train a fresh Bagon in Platinum, then transfer it over to my SS card and gradually turn it into a badass Salamence. My goal in SS is just to get the Pokemon and stuff I want and transfer it back to my copy of Platinum, so I have no reason to take my time when I can get a Pokemon from lv. 1 to 30 in 10 minutes in Platinum.

Espada

sonarrat said:
I'll probably EV train a fresh Bagon in Platinum, then transfer it over to my SS card and gradually turn it into a badass Salamence. My goal in SS is just to get the Pokemon and stuff I want and transfer it back to my copy of Platinum, so I have no reason to take my time when I can get a Pokemon from lv. 1 to 30 in 10 minutes in Platinum.

Heh, that sounds almost exactly what I'll be doing for stuff like Mewtwo, the dogs, Lugia and Ho-oH, pokemon that would either require me to go through Fr/Lg or finish one of the GC games and transfer it over.

I've got a bunch of my favorites lined up to be traded over to SS once it comes over next year. Still, you just gave me an idea that involves catching and trading over a Bagon, Larvitar and Gible from Platinum over into SS.

Tarazet

Espada said:
Heh, that sounds almost exactly what I'll be doing for stuff like Mewtwo, the dogs, Lugia and Ho-oH, pokemon that would either require me to go through Fr/Lg or finish one of the GC games and transfer it over.

I've got a bunch of my favorites lined up to be traded over to SS once it comes over next year. Still, you just gave me an idea that involves catching and trading over a Bagon, Larvitar and Gible from Platinum over into SS.

It makes sense, because you get a huge experience boost. I have a Lucky Egg stolen from a Chansey, so I can give it to my Bagon and trade it.. 1.5x traded boost, 1.7x foreign region boost, 1.5x Lucky Egg boost, altogether I should get 3.825x the experience from each fight. Badass.

Espada

Wow. I can't even imagine how much you'd get from the trainer who uses a Chansey just south of the entrance to the desert area in Diamond/Pearl (her name escapes me). I remember with a traded pokemon holding a Lucky Egg, they received a whopping 7k.

EzLink

Banned
sonarrat said:

Wait, is there some really quick way to get your pokemon to level up in platinum that I'm missing?

Tarazet

EzLink said:
Wait, is there some really quick way to get your pokemon to level up in platinum that I'm missing?

I use the trainers with Gyarados on Route 222. Add to that a traded bonus and a Lucky Egg, and you're golden.

edit: wrong route

EzLink

Banned
sonarrat said:
I use the trainers with Gyarados on Route 222. Add to that a traded bonus and a Lucky Egg, and you're golden.

edit: wrong route

Do they give more experience than the average trainer battle? And can't you still only battle them once a day?

Also, I've yet to ever get a lucky egg. Someday though!

Tarazet

EzLink said:
Do they give more experience than the average trainer battle? And can't you still only battle them once a day?

Also, I've yet to ever get a lucky egg. Someday though!

Use a Vs. Seeker. I typically fight the three trainers all at the water that you can see within one screen, run and heal my Pokemon, then run back and beep the Vs. Seeker. They'll usually be ready to fight again. If I don't get a response, I run around about 100 steps and come back. It works great. Even with no bonuses, it's 2000 exp per Gyarados killed.

xSL4INx

Man, I gotta quit reading this thread. My copy of Soul Silver shipped from Play-Asia on the 11th and it still isn't here :(

In the mean time, I've been making a team of my 6 favorite Pokemon in Platinum for Wi-Fi use :)

Lkr

sonarrat said:
OH GOD WHAT I HAVE DONE

2q9a0d2.jpg

niiiiice. you'll really lucky, i'm enjoying it so far

theluma said:

Wow, I didnt realise they are still making the adult t shirts, going to keep a close eye on eBay for them!

I picked up soul silver the other day and got the 3 preorder figures which are very cool, havent made it to the first gym yet tho.

Is everyone remembering to download the special poke walker course through wifi for the special pikachu's?

Ondore

Lkr said:
i'm having problems finding the thing in misty's gym. any help?

It's in the inner tubes in the upper-left corner of her pool.

Did you fight the
last Rocket member
already with a L38 Golbat?

Lkr

Ondore said:
It's in the inner tubes in the upper-left corner of her pool.

Did you fight the
last Rocket member
already with a L38 Golbat?
yep, got it. a simple youtube of misty's gym found me a walkthrough shortly after posting.

had to remember that pokeflute is on the pokegear, took me a while

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
kyo_daikun said:
I beleive with nintendo you always need friend codes to play with others online.

No, not at all. Friend codes are generally only required for requesting battles with specific folks or when communicating during multiplayer games. Most DS and Wii games with online capabilities allow for random battles with strangers.

I assume this new Pokemon does as well, but I haven't tested it.

xSL4INx

Finally got my copy in the mail and I've been playing when I can between studying.

I've got two badges so far and am about to obtain my third. I've also got the Pedometer working in full swing with a zubat on it in the mean time.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
DavidDayton said:
No, not at all. Friend codes are generally only required for requesting battles with specific folks or when communicating during multiplayer games. Most DS and Wii games with online capabilities allow for random battles with strangers.

I assume this new Pokemon does as well, but I haven't tested it.

D/P/P Didn't have it, so I wouldn't be surprised if HG/SS doesn't, though I would love to see it. Pokemon is one of the few games they don't (didn't?) put it in, which is odd considering the blatantly competitive nature of the games.

32zpbg2.jpg

I feel bad for every game I was currently playing...because I won't touch anything else for the next three months, most likely.

Yeah, it came out to about $120 shipped through Play-Asia after a few coupons and economy shipping. It worked out pretty well because my girlfriend decided to get SS and I wanted HG, so we just got both. I wasn't initially expecting to get all three figures because I asked PA about it a LONG time ago, and they never gave me a positive answer. I guess that since I pre-ordered on the first day they had the games available, that helped, too.

anyways, I'm really enjoying the game so far. I'm getting a crazy rush of nostalgia...like when I entered Violet City for the first time and heard that BGM...ohhh boy.

just got the Hive Badge and just entered Goldenrod...can't wait to run into that fucking Miltank...yeah right.

xSL4INx

Just got my 4th badge (Morty is the name right?) and now I'm heading onwards.

My team is Bayleaf, Togetic, Flaafy and Sudowodo

Hero of Legend said:
BTW, I'm not sure if it's been said in here, but the president of The Pokemon Company, Tsunekazu Ishihara, says a new Wii game is going to be announced soon.

http://pokebeach.com/#new-pokemon-wii-game-in-the-works

Should I make a new thread about it? I'm sure people will want to say what they hope it'll be and what they don't want, etc.
There's only one way to stop the trend of announcements of announcements.

(Well, there are more, but)

OMG Aero

Hero of Legend said:
BTW, I'm not sure if it's been said in here, but the president of The Pokemon Company, Tsunekazu Ishihara, says a new Wii game is going to be announced soon.

http://pokebeach.com/#new-pokemon-wii-game-in-the-works

Should I make a new thread about it? I'm sure people will want to say what they hope it'll be and what they don't want, etc.
I'd wait until we at least know the title. It could just end up just being another one of the Mystery Dungeon games or something.

Ravidrath

OMG Aero said:
I'd wait until we at least know the title. It could just end up just being another one of the Mystery Dungeon games or something.

Yeah, although we are WAY overdue for another Wii game from Genius Sonority... maybe this one has been in the works long enough to be worthwhile!

...And by "worthwhile," I mean have a real Pokemon Box Channel it installs on your system, like Mario Kart does.

Ravidrath

Ookami-kun said:
Is it possible to evolve Feebas in HG/SS?

Probably not, unless the Pokathalon Apricorn shakes can serve the same function as the Pokeblocks/Poffins? But that seems unlikely.

There are other Pokemon that don't seem like they can evolve in HG/SS, like Magnezone or any of the other Coronet-channeling Pokemon, Glaceon and Leafeon, etc.

Top Bottom