• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Magni

shanshan310 said:
maybe they translated it faster? they are closer to Japan? what does it matter. You get it when you get it. Stop complaining, Ausgaf has to wait even longer - for everything.

Uhh..

Release dates
JP November 21, 1999
AUS September 4, 2000
NA October 14, 2000
EUR April 6, 2001

Pokemon Gold/Silver

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yay for March 14, then!

I do hope they have more worldwide Wi-Fi events than shop-restricted ones.

Yay! So I finally decided to get a DSi and imported Heart Gold(it shipped on the 17th, so I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get it before xmas).

I'm really excited because this will be the first ever handheld console that I'll own, eventhough I've been a huge fan of Nintendo's games.
I did play Pokemon Red via Pokemon Stadium and the GB Player for N64, which pulled me into the pokemon craze back then, but never owning any other handhelds made it so that my Pokemon experiences ended there.

But man! For one who only played the original game, the amount of new options and additions available in HGSS is really intimidating.

Heck I'm trying wrap my head around the 300+ pokemons that I don't know, and Dark and Steel!? But there's Breeding, Day/Night, new gear, Happiness, Gender, Nature????

I'm looking forward to get into Pokemon again, and will probably have some questions in the future!

Metroid Killer said:
Yay! So I finally decided to get a DSi and imported Heart Gold(it shipped on the 17th, so I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get it before xmas).

I'm really excited because this will be the first ever handheld console that I'll own, eventhough I've been a huge fan of Nintendo's games.
I did play Pokemon Red via Pokemon Stadium and the GB Player for N64, which pulled me into the pokemon craze back then, but never owning any other handhelds made it so that my Pokemon experiences ended there.

But man! For one who only played the original game, the amount of new options and additions available in HGSS is really intimidating.

Heck I'm trying wrap my head around the 300+ pokemons that I don't know, and Dark and Steel!? But there's Breeding, Day/Night, new gear, Happiness, Gender, Nature????

I'm looking forward to get into Pokemon again, and will probably have some questions in the future!

You're in for a real treat with the DS. IMO the best system of this gen is the DS. So many great games among the piles of shovelware compared to the Wii which is miniscule in gems. :/ - I might be a bit biased just because I own 67 DS games though.

upandaway

Metroid Killer said:

Remember that every single person who played Gold and Silver had only played the originals before. As long as you'll be able to read the text you'll be fine (and even if you don't, I was having tons of fun back when I played it without knowing English).

My friend opened his drawer the other day that he didn't open in years, and he found an old GBA and a bunch of old games, including Red, Gold (that I lent him. Look at this bullshit), Crystal and Sapphire. Funnily enough only Gold and Sapphire can't save. Thanks to this looks like I'll be playing Red and Crystal until Soul Silver comes out.
I started Crystal and man, now that I know how to read this it's all sorts of insane. I still remember mostly every trainer, every city, what you need to do and all of those things. I pretty much memorized them when I was a kid from how much I played the games over.

I had in mind a team to pick when SS comes out, but I'm already doing it here, so I'll go a different route. I'm having so much fun with this.

OMG Aero

Metroid Killer said:

So wait, this is the first Pokemon game you have played since Red and you decided to import it? Can you read Japanese or did you just want to dive in at the deep end?

upandaway said:
Remember that every single person who played Gold and Silver had only played the originals before. As long as you'll be able to read the text you'll be fine (and even if you don't, I was having tons of fun back when I played it without knowing English).
But Gold/Silver was 2nd generation while HGSS seems to incoperate all lot of stuff that has been added since(including new pokemans)

OMG Aero said:
So wait, this is the first Pokemon game you have played since Red and you decided to import it? Can you read Japanese or did you just want to dive in at the deep end?
I'm halfway through my 3rd year studing Japanese at university. So the game will also function as a learning tool! :D

I have a question regarding Pokedex completion.

Do I have any chances at all to get all 493 pokemons, when I'm in this condition:
I know no one with pokemon games, I know no one with any DS, I don't have other pkmn games that I can trade from...

You can trade via wifi, right? but who wants to trade a starter or version exclusive pokemon, when they are so rare? With Pokemon Red, Pokemon Stadium was of great help since you could get Gen 1 starters and eevee from Stadium. Though with Eevee and its evolution I see that breeding has made it easier to get them. But still getting all pokemons just seem so daunting, but I guess I should just go for as many as possible.

Another thing. When you evolve a pokemon, you don't have the pre-evolved state anymore, does that mean I have to get a new pre-evolved pokemon to complete the pokedex? (Say I have a Charmander that evolves into Charmeleon and Charizard. Do I need to get a new Charmander and Charmeleon in order to have a complete pokedex?)

Thanks for any answers!

kamikaze

Metroid Killer said:
I have a question regarding Pokedex completion.

Do I have any chances at all to get all 493 pokemons, when I'm in this condition:
I know no one with pokemon games, I know no one with any DS, I don't have other pkmn games that I can trade from...

you'll have a tough time with special event legendaries. starters and version exclusives aren't as tough to part with since you can breed one for trading.

once you have owned a pokemon, it counts in your pokedex. of course if you actually want to have one of each pokemon in hand/PC, you'd need one for each evolution of that pokemon...which usually involves a lot of breeding if you're doing it on your own.

upandaway

No chance at getting all 493. Sure it's virtually possible but I'm not gonna lie to you, you won't make it without most other GBA/DS Pokemon games and at minimum another dude to trade back and forth.
Speed Gamers get all of them every once in a while in a marathon for donations, so I don't know, maybe you could ask 'em for some you don't have or something. That's the easy way out though.

It involves some serious determination. There's another guy on GAF right now attempting it as we speak (his thread should pop with a search).

About the additions to the games, sure the core gameplay mechanics like Natures and physical/special split will be integrated into Gold and Silver, but outside of that the games are the same as their originals. I'm sure they'll add NPCs here and there that explain to you what the changes are (as they're still explaining how to catch a Pokemon).
There's this cool school in Violet City that has a teacher and a book and stuff telling you about mechanics, and there's always Serebii.net.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
I've got all 493. It took a few months and involved a lot of FireRed catching and GameFAQs trolling. And a lot of Emerald cloning for trade-worthy legendaries.

Getting 493 isn't impossible if you're okay with trading for what are likely clones, at least it was that way in Diamond.

It's like buying a stereo system from the back of a van. Yeah, it's likely stolen, but what a deal!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Metroid Killer said:
You can trade via wifi, right? but who wants to trade a starter or version exclusive pokemon, when they are so rare?
Some Japanese players will trade you damn near anything for common English Pokemon just to get the foreign Pokedex entries.

Besides that, starters aren't a big deal at all. Those can be bred.

Lord Phol

So I got my girlfriend a DS for christmas along with nintendogs, which she greatly enjoyed.
And hearing she's interested in pokemon but she's never played one got me thinking it's time to change that.

What I'm wondering is:
1. Should I go for Platinum or Gold/Silver?
2. Is there any difference between Gold/Silver besides the usual pokemons missing/being included?

Any help is appriciated!

Hell I have all the GBA and DS pokemon games and I can't catch em all either. I wasn't willing to drive to Toys R Us to get a mew/deoxys/Arceus so for events that were Toys R Us only, which is totally stupid btw, I was shit out of luck. I hate how even though theres wifi mystery gift, Nintendo is still doing Toys R Us only events to get certain pokemon. Nearest one from me is like 80 miles so screw that. Gas is too expensive.

Neo Child

Banned
Lord Phol said:
So I got my girlfriend a DS for christmas along with nintendogs, which she greatly enjoyed.
And hearing she's interested in pokemon but she's never played one got me thinking it's time to change that.

What I'm wondering is:
2. Is there any difference between Gold/Silver besides the usual pokemons missing/being included?

Any help is appriciated!

Go for platinum, its a great starter up game with a better story. G/S feel like expansions really, maybe once shes done with platinum get her on gold/silver.. =)

Gravijah

Lord Phol said:

What I'm wondering is:

Any help is appriciated!

As a long time Pokefan, I'd recommend Platinum first, unless you can ween her onto some of the older games... I know I'd love to be able to experience the joy of RBY again. :)

Green Scar said:
God bless Movietyme. I know which one I'll be buying when it hits...

Cheaper and around a week earlier. Yes plz.

Thing is, I want both games, so it's £54 from movietyme and £80 if I buy from the UK :lol

Teknoman

So think there will be a pretty decent online battle environment here, or are people going to have to rely on serebii or....gamefaqs again? Wasnt around for D/P launch on GAF so I dont know how that went.

Started playing Platinum again to go ahead and get those item unlocked legendaries, but will probably spend more time in Soul Silver (transfering all/ the best monsters from Diamond and Platinum) since after 500 hours in Diamond i'm Sinnoh'd out. Last time I buy a "third" version, but still going to soldier through it.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Teknoman said:
So think there will be a pretty decent online battle environment here, or are people going to have to rely on serebii or....gamefaqs again? Wasnt around for D/P launch on GAF so I dont know how that went.
Wasn't around for the D/P launch either but I'd expect one tournament out of GAF before interest tapers off. I'd be willing to organize one too.

Wiseblade

There wee a couple of Tournaments which I think were dominated by Firestorm and Jiggy, but them it just fizzled out. A few battles and trades stil go on here and there, but not much. Nostalgia should give it more legs this time.

Teknoman

Wiseblade said:
There wee a couple of Tournaments which I think were dominated by Firestorm and Jiggy, but them it just fizzled out. A few battles and trades stil go on here and there, but not much. Nostalgia should give it more legs this time.

Not surprised there :lol They beat up everyone in the Brawl tournament.

I'm back into the Pokemon world again!

I've had Heart Gold for over two weeks now, and it's absolutely eating all my time away! So much stuff to do, so many pokemons to train. Although I guess I expected more had happened since my last time with a pokemon game(Pokemon Red). At the same time, it feels pretty balanced with all the stuff I've encountered so far, more would probably have been overkill.

I ran into the Pokethlon and Bug Catching Contest last week and there's endless of fun to be had with just those. And a lot of the caves and mountains seems to have more levels than are accessable later on... and then there's Kanto waiting for me o_O the game is HUGE.

The PokeWalker is turning out to be completely awesome! Aside from being a great tool to get good pokemon early on(Nice to get a Magby when there were no fire types in sight in the begining, and a lvl 5 Beldum that knows Zen Headbutt, etc.), it's surprisingly satisfying to walk around in real life collecting watts and building up steps for you to catch rare pokemon and items. It gives you the feeling of never leaving the game after shutting off the DSi. Last week I was at home studying for my finals, and didn't went out that much, but I instructed my girlfriend of how to find pokemons on the PokeWalker and gave it to her to bring along her work route(elderly care), and suddenly it adds up extra reason to take the stairs and just walking in general. She digs it a lot, and thinks it's fun to help me out getting pokemons.

The Japanese is no hurdle at all, sure there's a lot of informal speech which I'm not that strong at(especially when it's all hiragana), but I'm able to understand pretty much all plot dialoque and describtions. The hardest part is all the pokemon names, not knowing what most of them are in english either makes me drown in pokemon names.

I'm gonna try to get a complete pokedex, it doesn't seem that impossible, with pretty much only the event legendaries being tough to get.

Oh and I caught my very first shiny the other day! A shiny pidgey!

So yeah, I'm enjoying the game big time, the awesome stylus control and menu layout is neet as well.

TP

Gamestop is distributing that Pikachu colored Pichu in stores from Jan 30-Feb 14.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/pokehgss/default.aspx

Free Exclusive Distribution: In-Store Only, January 30th – February 14th – Bring your Nintendo DS or Nintendo DSi system and your Pokemon Diamond, Pokemon Pearl or Pokemon Platinum version game to receive this Pikachu-colored Pichu! It’s not only a special color, it also holds a secret you can unlock in the upcoming Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver versions!

Also Amazon is listing a Standard/Software only version but mentions the pokewalker in the product description. Probably an error

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=pokemon+soul+silver&x=0&y=0

Mael

Metroid Killer said:
The hardest part is all the pokemon names, not knowing what most of them are in english either makes me drown in pokemon names.
Tell me about it, I never seen anything pokemon related in anything but in french and most of the time I don't know which pokemon everyone is talking about unless there's a picture with it :lol

Jeo said:
Gamestop is distributing that Pikachu colored Pichu in stores from Jan 30-Feb 14.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/pokehgss/default.aspx

Spiky eared Pichu?!?

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU....damn I hope Gamestop or EB Canada get these download stations! Would rather not be clone begging like during TRU events.

I thought given there's no new pokemon that I wouldn't be nearly as excited for Superior Silver but I have to admit, stuff like this is going to suck me back in quickly.

(bitter griping about lack of pokefarm patch)

Mael

By the way which version of this game doesn't feature Ekans?
I mean I only played Blue (and currently playing Diammond, damn it's harder than Blue) and I'm looking forward to this new release I missed on its original release...
And it seems like I'm fated to miss Ekans and the likes...

Pappasman

Metroid Killer said:
The Japanese is no hurdle at all, sure there's a lot of informal speech which I'm not that strong at(especially when it's all hiragana), but I'm able to understand pretty much all plot dialoque and describtions. The hardest part is all the pokemon names, not knowing what most of them are in english either makes me drown in pokemon names.

I agree. Pokemon is one of the easiest games to play in Japanese even for someone who doesn't know any of the language.

upandaway

Aww man. It's possible to get more than one out of these download stations right? Any chance one of you guys bring one of those Pichus for me?

Whats happened to the european events? Were like 3 behind now its getting shameful, no arceus no special jirachi and now the special pichu :(

Mael said:
By the way which version of this game doesn't feature Ekans?
I mean I only played Blue (and currently playing Diammond, damn it's harder than Blue) and I'm looking forward to this new release I missed on its original release...
And it seems like I'm fated to miss Ekans and the likes...
In Heart Gold you can only get an Ekans in the game corner(maybe in some later PokeWalker stages as well), but they are common in SS.

Man I've spent 73 hours already, and my pokedex count is... 73:lol This is gonna take forever, and I haven't even beaten Morty of Ecruteak City yet.

Actually I did have a go at him earlier this morning, but got my ass handed by his lvl 25 Gengar. My problem is that eventhough I've spent over 70 hours already, I haven't concentrated on just a 6 man team, but everytime I get a new cool pokemon I just can't put it in a box and never use it. I did the same thing with Pokemon Red, and ended up having lots of lvl70+ pokemons at the end.

Current team:
Bayleef (24) | Quagsire (22) | Metang (22) | Murkrow (22) | Magby (21) | Elekid (21)
Spr_4h_153.png
Spr_4h_195_f.png
Spr_4d_375.png
Spr_4h_198_f.png
Spr_4h_240.png
Spr_4h_239.png

And then as backup(or just pokemans that I care about :p)
Spr_4h_214_f.png
Spr_4h_017_s.png
Spr_4h_204.png
Spr_4h_020_m.png
Spr_4p_436.png
Spr_4p_355.png
Spr_4h_162.png
Spr_4h_180_s.png

+At least 10 others above level 20

Man it's gonna take forever to unlock all the stuff in the PokeWalker. So far I've unlocked around 1/3 of the courses using over 3.000 watts, but the gap between courses is now getting really big for every new course. The next is 5.000, then 7.500, 10.000 and for the last you have to have 100.000 watts o_O. Considering that I've probably used just as much watts on catching monsters and items as I've gathered for the courses, it's gonna take some time.

But it's a great way to get pokemons, which I really like so far. So many different ways to get your monsters: Fighting them in the wild, headbumping trees, pokewalker, wi-fi events, trades, and so on. I hope this is something that is being expanded further in the next gen.

Oh, I have a question regarding wi-fi events. I was surprised that I could get the Japanese wifi events. My DSi is european and I live in Europe, so I thought I'd have to wait for the events to come to Europe, apparently not. But when the wifi events do come to Europe will I then be able to get some of the stuff again? Something tells me I wont... Two Mews would be too good.

God dammit NOA. Do you know how much I hate going into Gamestop and pulling out my DS to download a Pokemon? Just put it over the WiFi service. Makes everything so much easier.

Galang

Banned
Blu_LED said:
God dammit NOA. Do you know how much I hate going into Gamestop and pulling out my DS to download a Pokemon? Just put it over the WiFi service. Makes everything so much easier.

Indeed, it's too much hassle for me because every store is so far away and none of my friends go to get events because they're embarassed.:lol

Teknoman

About the Pokewalker: If you gain exp while walking, do you also get EVs? Or is it just exp in the basic sense with no EV added? Also if you run into a pokemon while using the walker, do you have to stop and catch it at that moment?

Pappasman

Metroid Killer said:
Man I've spent 73 hours already, and my pokedex count is... 73:lol This is gonna take forever, and I haven't even beaten Morty of Ecruteak City yet.

holy crap. what are you doing? im about 30 hours in and i have 13 badges already.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Teknoman said:
About the Pokewalker: If you gain exp while walking, do you also get EVs? Or is it just exp in the basic sense with no EV added? Also if you run into a pokemon while using the walker, do you have to stop and catch it at that moment?
This. Also, does it make any noise? If the thing starts beeping like crazy when I run into a pokemon, that could be a problem at work/in class :lol

Metroid Killer said:
In Heart Gold you can only get an Ekans in the game corner(maybe in some later PokeWalker stages as well), but they are common in SS.

Actually I did have a go at him earlier this morning, but got my ass handed by his lvl 25 Gengar. My problem is that eventhough I've spent over 70 hours already, I haven't concentrated on just a 6 man team, but everytime I get a new cool pokemon I just can't put it in a box and never use it. I did the same thing with Pokemon Red, and ended up having lots of lvl70+ pokemons at the end.

Current team:
Bayleef (24) | Quagsire (22) | Metang (22) | Murkrow (22) | Magby (21) | Elekid (21)
Spr_4h_153.png
Spr_4h_195_f.png
Spr_4d_375.png
Spr_4h_198_f.png
Spr_4h_240.png
Spr_4h_239.png

And then as backup(or just pokemans that I care about :p)
Spr_4h_214_f.png
Spr_4h_017_s.png
Spr_4h_204.png
Spr_4h_020_m.png
Spr_4p_436.png
Spr_4p_355.png
Spr_4h_162.png
Spr_4h_180_s.png

+At least 10 others above level 20

How did you get a metatang, elekid, and magby that early in the game?

Teknoman

Datwheezy said:
This. Also, does it make any noise? If the thing starts beeping like crazy when I run into a pokemon, that could be a problem at work/in class :lol

Was just about to edit with that question :lol

Top Bottom