• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Sakaki

Off topic 2 cents:

The Pokemon series is the only series where I don't punch people with brass knuckles, imprinting 'WEEABOO' on their forehead for using the Japanese names, since, overall, the series is so Japanese-rooted to a degree that it's difficult to even see it as any other culture.

This is incredibly evident in the GSC games. I really hope they don't go changing buildings or songs for the US release. Like they could kind've get away with that shit in the originals ("Oh, those buildings could be anything! The kids won't know!") but they are very distinctly pagoda-style buildings in the DS version.

EzLink

Banned
Whoo just beat Pokemon Colosseum after 5 years (bought it on launch day)! In my delirious anticipation for this game I just had to get the Johto starters and the legendary dogs onto my Platinum

Even so, I'm not sure that will be enough to curb my hunger

must resist urge to import!

cvxfreak said:
HeartGold and SoulSilver are the perfect Pokemon games. Nothing that's come before can be in the same league, IMO.
As AWESOME as the game is, it still won't have that same impact when saw two words "Pallet Town" 8 years ago. I literally sat their in disbelief for five minutes not believing it.

/nostalgia

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
cvxfreak said:
HeartGold and SoulSilver are the perfect Pokemon games. Nothing that's come before can be in the same league, IMO.
The hyperbole in this thread is amazing. I don't think I've seen any other game get this sort of hype on GAF. I don't know if I'm more amused or annoyed by it.

I'm looking forward to HGSS, but I still haven't completed everything I wanted to do in Platinum. I still feel like spring '10 is too soon for another Pokemon game, and yet there are maybe dozens of people here who can barely restrain themselves from importing. It's bizarre.

ant1532

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
The hyperbole in this thread is amazing. I don't think I've seen any other game get this sort of hype on GAF. I don't know if I'm more amused or annoyed by it.

I'm looking forward to HGSS, but I still haven't completed everything I wanted to do in Platinum. I still feel like spring '10 is too soon for another Pokemon game, and yet there are maybe dozens of people here who can barely restrain themselves from importing. It's bizarre.
you dont make sense to me. you seem to be annoyed by the praise, calling it "hyperbole" yet you say "but I still haven't completed everything I wanted to do in Platinum." which i guess infers your praise for the depth of that game. so how is it hard to understand for you that the next one in the series is even better? and saying its to soon for another amazing game is just foolish.

SaintZ

EzLink said:
Whoo just beat Pokemon Colosseum after 5 years (bought it on launch day)! In my delirious anticipation for this game I just had to get the Johto starters and the legendary dogs onto my Platinum
I beat Mt. Battle in Story Mode for the first time yesterday. It was a huge pain in the ass. I still need to purify half of the shadow Pokémon and beat Mt. Battle in Colosseum Mode to get Ho-Oh. I'm not sure I'm going to do it. The game is so slow and I hate the double battles >_<.

swerve

Allow us our excitement! The series is making pretty neat strides with HGSS, and we're enthused. Simple as that.

I've been on two PokeWalker trips today. I caught a Nidorina whilst out and about, and my Rattata and Hoot Hoot both levelled up. It's pretty slick transferring back and forth, but there is a downside that the pokemon get transferred from the main menu (not in-game) and so they have to be in the PC storage, not in your party. So for me, the pokewalker is mostly useful for raising pokemon I don't want to be using much at their current level.

But that's cool, too! I always have a box called 'Raise' with the pokemon I intend to level up, but never get around to it because I get too attached to my core group. This time, I can raise my Raise pokemon on my way to and from work.

*ENTHUSE*

Travado said:
The Slowdown has been completely removed now in comparison to Diamond/Pearl/Platinum?

I know that Platinum has less slow than Diamond/Pearl, but it's still there.

And how is the battle speed, slow as always?

Any comments on the battle speed? It would be nice to have it sped up a bit.

I doubt GameFreak did that though

Cant0na

Banned
just started playing..........what did i get myself into :lol

dont have a clue what im doing/whats going on. Can some one explain
whats going on with the marill that jumps at you in the beginning and the what the girl said

Blueblur1

Sixfortyfive said:

I agree. I'm barely halfway through Platinum and I haven't touched it in two months. While these two versions seem cool, I'd be fine if they took another year to release.

Gravijah

shykyoichi said:
Wait 'til Gen 5. :D

Please be an awesome DS/DSi hybrid game with upgraded graphics for the DSi and special features, yet still having the base games fully playable. I need more Pokemon this generation.

You can have a double battle against
Lance and Clair
...... and no you're not fighting alone.. you're teaming up with
YOUR RIVAL, YUP THE MOSTEST BADASSEST RIVAL OF DEM ALL

cvxfreak

Sixfortyfive said:

Most hyped game on GAF? Not by a longshot.

I said HGSS are the best Pokemon games, and based on what I've played so far, I stand by that statement. Pokemon is definitely not my favorite series, so I'm not trying to paint the game as the second coming of Christ. The improvements over the previous games based on engine, alongside my favorite setting (Johto) and the sheer amount of content make HGSS the best Pokemon
games IMO. I like Pokemon enough to sink 100 hours into it each gen, but I can
see myself sinking even more into HGSS.

Also, the fact you accused me of importing is pretty offensive since I actually live in Japan.

trinest

This game is defo GOTY from Nintendo. Best Pokemon game thanks to working with the last best Pokemon games (the original G/S/C) as the template.

Sixfortyfive

cvxfreak said:
Also, the fact you accused me of importing is pretty offensive since I actually live in Japan.
No offense intended. You're putting words in my mouth. I was talking about the whole thread, generally, not you in particular.

Basically, I expect these games to be moderate improvements over their immediate predecessors, which is typically how Pokemon games turn out. It just seems like I see degrees of improvement where GAF sees wide leaps or something.

Sixfortyfive said:
No offense intended. You're putting words in my mouth. I was talking about the whole thread, generally, not you in particular.

Basically, I expect these games to be moderate improvements over their immediate predecessors, which is typically how Pokemon games turn out. It just seems like I see degrees of improvement where GAF sees wide leaps or something.
Maybe because most had played GSC before and are now playing HGSS with improved everything. Unlike, lemme see, other remakes? (yes, I'm talking to you Chrono Trigger DS)

Nostalgia + Improvement = Epic Win?

cvxfreak

Sixfortyfive said:

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought you were aiming at me since you were responding to me. :lol

To be more clear though, I only played a little bit of Platinum. I don't know if skipping that one but having played D/P will make my impressions different from someone who played Platinum thoroughly.

Still, I need to be clear: this is a damn good game and I'm loving it a lot.

king zell

i dont know where to post this but in the latest Famitsu in the interview with Ishihara Tsunekazu he said that they are working on a new Wii pokemon game to be announced soon

Plasma

Banned
Little Green Yoda said:
Any comments on the battle speed? It would be nice to have it sped up a bit.

I doubt GameFreak did that though

It seems sped up but it's hard to tell I haven't played Platinum in awhile.

Battle speed is definitely faster. Also when you turn off animation, all animations are off, including the 3 second ones the pokemon make when they enter.

OMG Aero

TacticalFox88 said:
As AWESOME as the game is, it still won't have that same impact when saw two words "Pallet Town" 8 years ago. I literally sat their in disbelief for five minutes not believing it.

/nostalgia
You didn't think Pallet Town would be in the game after arriving in Vermillion City and travelling around Kanto?

upandaway

king zell said:
i dont know where to post this but in the latest Famitsu in the interview with Ishihara Tsunekazu he said that they are working on a new Wii pokemon game to be announced soon
Wait, what?

Also, just saw the Giovanni deal. Holy shit. Time travel? Are they crazy?
I love it. Things actually happen in the franchise right now. Fuck yeah.
I knew they wanted to make a couple more things canon after the hints in FRLG, but never go THIS far. But it's still a WiFi event, right? So there's no goddamn chance we get to play it?
Even if there is, I hate how it's timed. Timed Pokemon, okay, I get it, but something like this? They honestly couldn't put it as a sidequest in the game?

(I still hate the music. I think it's pretty bad. Not worse than RSE, but I'm definitely gonna spend the majority of the time with the GB Player)

There you go dude. Guess I was a little ignorant there.

Upandaway, could you spoiler text a few of those things, please? Namely the things and characters that wasn't in the original G/S?

Edit: Thanks, man! It's just that everyone else in the thread was keeping them under wraps too...

EzLink

Banned
So how many of you that imported don't know any Japanese? Is it difficult/frusterating to make your way through the game?

I've never imported anything before but this wait is going to be so awful that I'm very seriously considering importing this. My fear though is that I'll import it, love the game but be continually frusterated because of the language barrier, and then not care that much when the English version comes out because I'll have already experienced everything

Gravijah

EzLink said:
So how many of you that imported don't know any Japanese? Is it difficult/frusterating to make your way through the game?

I've never imported anything before but this wait is going to be so awful that I'm very seriously considering importing this. My fear though is that I'll import it, love the game but be continually frusterated because of the language barrier, and then not care that much when the English version comes out because I'll have already experienced everything

Just forget this game exists until Spring, honestly. It'll hurt less.

Yeah, I say "wait" too.

Plus, there's loads of games out very soon to play with. By the time HG/SS hits the US, there should be much less in the way of distractions there :)

spidye

after diamond I've sweared to myself never ever touch a pokemon game again. I never liked diamond and never played platinum.
but, the more I see, read, hear about heartgold the more I giggle like the 10 year old me back in the day I played blue for the first time.
I HATE YOU NINTENDO.

EzLink

Banned
Gravijah said:
Just forget this game exists until Spring, honestly. It'll hurt less.

Blargh. Kinda hard to forget it exists since all of my free time has been going towards accomplishing things in other Pokemon games in preperation for HG/SS :p

Tranced Shadow said:
Yeah, I say "wait" too.

Plus, there's loads of games out very soon to play with. By the time HG/SS hits the US, there should be much less in the way of distractions there :)

Yeah, I guess. I'm sort of hurting for money atm but there are a few games that I can see lasting me until at least Spring 2010 (Scribblenauts)

Still though, I wish NOA would have just hurried the fuck up and got it to us by this holiday season

Sixfortyfive

Serebii has information up for most of the leader/elite4 rematches now.

Heh, Gary/Green's team is about 10 levels higher than all the other gym leaders. Higher than the E4 too, actually.

As it should be. Fuck yeah, Gary Oak.

EzLink said:

Wait. 'Til Spring.

EzLink

Banned
shykyoichi said:
Wait. 'Til Spring.

Killer wait but I've decided that's what I'm going to go with. Silver is my 2nd all time favorite game, and I'm nearly certain this will top that. I don't want to have my first experience with what will end up being one of my favorite games ever to be frusterating

Shiggie

lyre said:
And you know what's the greatest feature of the entire damn game?! Drag and fucking drop monster sorting interface!, ie a feature that should be in the game from the get-go!
I could masturbate till my skin peeled off.

Blackbird| said:
No

Pulseman 2 Wii
Drill drozer 2 Ds
New Franchise Dsi

Good.
Better.
Best!

I would love for Game Freak to make something else besides Pokemon for a change, considering how much I love Game Freak's games in general.

Even still... waiting for these games to come to America will be a loooong wait. I wonder if Gen 5 will be better than HG/SS. I certainly hope so... Maybe they'll gear it toward a slightly older audience. That'd be great.

Sixfortyfive

So, from watching a few Youtube videos it seems like the weather glitch is still in HGSS. On the one hand, that's a pretty lazy oversight. On the other, my Stallrein might live to cheese opponents to death once again!

EzLink said:
Killer wait but I've decided that's what I'm going to go with. Silver is my 2nd all time favorite game, and I'm nearly certain this will top that. I don't want to have my first experience with what will end up being one of my favorite games ever to be frusterating
There are lot of good DS games (Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, Scribblenauts, Bleach: The 3rd Phantom, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days) to play in the meantime.

Regulus Tera said:
It better introduce actual animated sprites throughout the whole battle, not just the introduction.
You mean like Magikarp thrashing around when using Splash?

Ondore

Sixfortyfive said:
So, from watching a few Youtube videos it seems like the weather glitch is still in HGSS. On the one hand, that's a pretty lazy oversight. On the other, my Stallrein might live to cheese opponents to death once again!

It's already doing that with its new toy, Super Fang.

And according to the testing, it causes permanent rain but doesn't cause extra damage.

Sixfortyfive

Hey, Mismagius gets Nasty Plot in HGSS. Haha, fuck you Gengar.

Ondore said:
It's already doing that with its new toy, Super Fang.

And according to the testing, it causes permanent rain but doesn't cause extra damage.
Check 3:35. Can't remember if that's exactly how it works on Plat (I'm more familiar with glitch hail than glitch sandstorm), but it's definitely causing double damage.

Stumbling upon glitch hail was awesome. I mostly play against a local friend who isn't really into serious battling, so we just come up with lame gimmick teams that aren't always practical in the Smogon metagame. A mono-Ice hail-based team isn't the wisest line-up for OU play, but I like Ice types so why the hell not, right?

Then I discover the following on my team's debut after causing the glitch with a Weavile KO, totally by accident:
- Snow Cloak Pokemon (Froslass, Glaceon, Mamoswine) are immune to glitch hail damage
- Ice Body Pokemon (Wallrein) recover 25% HP per turn in glitch hail (in addition to Leftovers or other recovery)
- Snow Warning Pokemon (Abomasnow) cancel out glitch hail and replace it with normal permanent hail (not ideal, but also not a drawback for a hail team)
- glitch hail takes precedence over other glitch weather, so you can't use Tyranitar or other weather inducers to cancel it out
- almost all other Pokemon lose 25% HP per turn in glitch hail (in addition to any other damage taken)

Substitute+Protect Wallrein under these conditions is the most hilariously wrong thing I think I've seen in Pokemon. If the opponent can't cause at least 75% damage in one turn (thus preventing Substitute), then I win. Best/worst glitch ever.

I feel guilty about using it though, so I give the other guy a heads up I don't think he's familiar with it. "If you try to switch out, I'm not going to be held responsible for what follows next!" :lol

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
OMG Aero said:

So Lt. Surge is...

Guile.jpg

Dabookerman said:
To be honest, some of the music I've been hearing has been a bit disappointing. But then, the choice to use you know what more than makes up for it.

Ok.. wow.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e3TyzBkItk Route 26/27

Holy fucking shit.. they NAILED this one. NAILED IT!
Very true. Some of the songs they just got too... "remixy". I'm not fond of the updated surf theme, for instance. One the other hand some of the tunes are bloody excellent, like the one you posted :). After briefly listening it looks like Kanto's bgms are pretty spot-on.

ant1532

Banned
hey gaf. due to me not owning any videogame systems besides gameboy color, n64, and snes i decided to borrow my friends little brother's copy of pokemon crystal since i never had it. (i was at his house, and i was like, dude. is that pokemon crystal... let me borrow that. lol) So yeah im playing right now, in Azalea town. This game is fucking awesome. My party is a totodile(who i dont plan on evolving to its final form, might evolve it to its second tho) , a ledian, poliwag, and the togepi who recently hatched :D

So yeah, these remakes look fucking ridiculous. i just watched the video of the dude battling Red in the snowy mountain. Is that in the og crystal???? Btw, when the fuck are they going to start having the sprites animate full time during the fight? It seems so easy to do, are they retarded.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
shykyoichi said:
You mean like Magikarp thrashing around when using Splash?

I mean like the Dragon Quest remakes, where the monsters have standing still animations and animations for every attack.

Sure it must be hell to do so one-by-one but we finally got sprites for every Pokémon in the field, so maybe with just a little more of effort and time...

Top Bottom