• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

So i traded a bellsprout for the onyx in Violet city and I must be missing something but why does he always get 'boosted xp' when I use him?

Kawaii

MikeDub said:
So i traded a bellsprout for the onyx in Violet city and I must be missing something but why does he always get 'boosted xp' when I use him?
Happens with all pokemon you get in a trade (either ingame trade or over internet/wifi)

Wichu said:
Voltorb Flip is really addictive... I can't believe I have over 10000 coins already :p
The highest level I've been on is 7; the one thing I hate about it is the seemingly random level-downs. Does anyone know how they work (i.e. why sometimes you drop 1 level, and sometimes 3 or 4)?

EDIT: Just now, I dropped from level 6 to 5, then right after, 5 to 1 :(

I fucking hate Voltorb Flip, but I will concede that it is addictive. But that's only because it makes you think there's skill involved, but at certain points, it comes down completely to luck. The highest level I made it to was 6, but then it dropped me straight to level 1.

I think it's determined by how well you were doing that game before getting a Voltorb. If you flipped over a few 2's and 3's, you won't drop down as many levels (or at all), but if you get a Voltorb almost right away, you drop to level 1.

That Voltorb Flip calculator that somebody posted a while back is a big help. Not in that it gives you a better chance (as it still comes down to luck), but it makes playing a LOT quicker, as you don't have to bother figuring things out yourself.

I think I might swear off Voltorb Flip completely though. The Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, and Flamethrower TM's are the only things worth buying, and I get the feeling that breeding to pass them down will be quicker than playing this until you have enough tokens.

MikeDub said:

Pokemon that you receive in a trade earn 1.5x Exp. That's been the case ever since the original games.

womp

I've never been a huge Pokemon game fan. I'm 36 and it wasn't on my radar 12 years ago when it came out when my little brother was freaking out over it...He was 8 at the time. I've always loved Pokemon Pinball and the original Mystery Dungeon game is fun - I'm more into the designs of the characters, after all it's Nintendo and they are the masters of that.

So after dabbling in Pokemon Pearl for a bit and getting tired of it's slow ass battling which even I knew was an issue with it, I decided to snag Soul Silver because being a handheld electronics whore the Pokewalker fascinated me. The game is a lot of fun, I've walked over 50k steps since it's release, and I just beat Falkner, got the egg, and am heading to Azlea Town.

I'm trying to put together a decent team but I think I'm faltering a bit here...

Elekid
Magby
Bellsprout
Psyduck
Onix
....Egg. :D

I chose Totodile as a starter but he isn't really blowing me away so far and even Psyduck seems to have better moves at the moment so I swapped him out for the egg placement. I'm regretting not choosing Cyndaquil. Onix is probably a weakspot but Magby and Elekid are lv14 and 15 a piece and kicking ass, I'm liking them a lot. I don't want to play competitively and just want to have fun trying to 'collect 'em all', completing the adventure and trading.

Any suggestions for a good starting team? Thanks. :)

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
womp said:
I've never been a huge Pokemon game fan. I'm 36 and it wasn't on my radar 12 years ago when it came out when my little brother was freaking out over it...He was 8 at the time. I've always loved Pokemon Pinball and the original Mystery Dungeon game is fun - I'm more into the designs of the characters, after all it's Nintendo and they are the masters of that.

So after dabbling in Pokemon Pearl for a bit and getting tired of it's slow ass battling which even I knew was an issue with it, I decided to snag Soul Silver because being a handheld electronics whore the Pokewalker fascinated me. The game is a lot of fun, I've walked over 50k steps since it's release, and I just beat Falkner, got the egg, and am heading to Azlea Town.

I'm trying to put together a decent team but I think I'm faltering a bit here...

Elekid
Magby
Bellsprout
Psyduck
Onix
....Egg. :D

I chose Totodile as a starter but he isn't really blowing me away so far and even Psyduck seems to have better moves at the moment so I swapped him out for the egg placement. I'm regretting not choosing Cyndaquil. Onix is probably a weakspot but Magby and Elekid are lv14 and 15 a piece and kicking ass, I'm liking them a lot. I don't want to play competitively and just want to have fun trying to 'collect 'em all', completing the adventure and trading.

\

I won't spoil what's in the egg, but make sure to evolve it to its final form!

upandaway

womp said:
If you're gonna use Bellsprout, make sure to give it a good chunk of awesome moves, since it learns almost nothing good by itself. And make sure to evolve Onix sometime, anyone can help you with that by trading with you when your Onix is holding a Metal Coat.

Kinda surprising you ditched your starter like that! But Psyduck's okay for the league, hell I used one in Platinum.

womp said:
I chose Totodile as a starter but he isn't really blowing me away so far and even Psyduck seems to have better moves at the moment so I swapped him out for the egg placement.

:( Give me your Totodile then, I promise I'll take care of him.:D

I breed my Quilava to get a baby Cyndaquil and uploaded on the GTS so can ask for Totodile in return and lo and behold, the Totodile I got was captured using a Master in Route 17. Damn Hackers.

Metroid Killer's big evolution-inducing item giveaway!!!

So I got a lot of evolution stones and items that are needed for certain pokemon to evolve, and since I don't need them myself why not just give them away! :D

Now, as you can see in the list below there are items that I more of than others, and there'll most likely not be items for everyone interested.

Therefore it'll be first come first serve principle. But in order to give people that are on the other side of earth a chance to get some stuff, you'll be limited to 4 different items.

In order not to clutch up the thread, please only quote the red text at the top of this post when replying.

I'll send a pm to you once you've posted here, so that we can exchange Friend Codes and find a time to trade.

Updated: What's left as of post #7106

fires.png
Fire Stone: 1
Vulpix -> Ninetales
Growlithe -> Arcanine
Causes -> Flareon
waters.png
Water Stone: 1
Poliwhirl -> Poliwrath
Shellder -> Cloyster
Staryu -> Starmie
Eevee -> Vaporeon
Lombre -> Ludicolo
thunders.png
Thunder Stone: 1
Pikachu -> Raichu
Eevee -> Jolteon
leafs.png
Leaf Stone: 2
Gloom -> Vileplume
Weepinbell -> Victreebel
Exeggcute -> Exeggutor
Nuzleaf -> Shiftry
moons.png
Moon Stone: sold out
Nidorina -> Nidoqueen
Nidorino -> Nidoking
Clefairy -> Clefable
Jigglypuff -> Wigglytuff
Skitty -> Delcatty
suns.png
Sun Stone: 2
Gloom -> Bellossom
Sunkern -> Sunflora
shinys.png
Shiny Stone: sold out
Togetic -> Togekiss
Roselia -> Roserade
dusks.png
Dusk Stone: 3
Murkrow -> Honchkrow
Misdreavus -> Mismagius
dawns.png
Dawn Stone: 5
♂Kirlia -> Gallade
♀Snorunt -> Froslass
ovals.png
Oval Stone: 8
Happiny -> Chansey (day)
evers.png
Everstone: 2
Prevents evolution. When bred, 50% chance of having the nature of the holder.
metalc.png
Metal Coat: sold out
Onix -> Steelix (trade)
Scyther -> Scizor (trade)
dragons.png
Dragon Scale: 1
Seadra -> Kingdra (trade)
kingsr.png
King's Rock: sold out
Poliwhirl -> Politoed (trade)
Slowpoke -> Slowking (trade)
reaperc.png
Reaper Cloth: 3
Dusclops -> Dusknoir (trade)

+Bonus!!!
Since we're gonna have to trade anyway you might as well get some pokemon that you are searching for. I'm only short of 70 pokemon for a full dex and can therefore breed most of the pokemon in the game.

womp

upandaway said:
If you're gonna use Bellsprout, make sure to give it a good chunk of awesome moves, since it learns almost nothing good by itself. And make sure to evolve Onix sometime, anyone can help you with that by trading with you when your Onix is holding a Metal Coat.

Kinda surprising you ditched your starter like that! But Psyduck's okay for the league, hell I used one in Platinum.

I'm using Bellsprout purely because I haven't found any other worthwhile plant Pokemon so far...I don't have to use it though but I guess I was trying to get a group that covers all the basics. :D

NinjaBoyLao said:
:( Give me your Totodile then, I promise I'll take care of him.:D

I breed my Quilava to get a baby Cyndaquil and uploaded on the GTS so can ask for Totodile in return and lo and behold, the Totodile I got was captured using a Master in Route 17. Damn Hackers.

For a water Pokemon he just doesn't seem to be doing much in the way of water so far that Psyduck can do more of at the moment. I had Totodile in my Pokewalker at the time he was set to learn Bite so I missed out on that too but still, that wasn't a big deal as far as I can tell. I'm really not too excited about him so far. If I stick with him will he get better?

One of my favorite Pokemon from what I've played has been Turtwig. I miss him in this. :(

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie

Interested in dragon scale mainly.
Want to ask for element stones, but I know some people don't have access to them at all.
As far as pokemon go A pinsir, a tauros, or a growlithe would all be appreciated.
Soul Silver Friend code: 0689 7478 1629

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Metroid Killer said:

You're awesome!

1x Shiny Stone
1x King's Rock
1x Thunderstone

This is so cool. :D

I can't get on until later, are these held or do I have to claim them as soon as possible?

Metroid Killer said:

kingsr.png
King's Rock: 5
Poliwhirl -> Politoed (trade)
Slowpoke -> Slowking (trade)
Oh my god Politoed looks awesome :lol
Any chance I could claim a kings rock and I don't suppose you have a Bagon with Naughty/Naive nature?

Also where can I get a razor claw? I want a weaville!

Metroid Killer said:
So you're just doing this out of the kindness of your heart and I can just give you any old pokemon for items/pokemon?! If so, awesome! Need to evolve some pokemon on my Diamond. :D

EDIT:
1x Water Stone
1x Metal Coat
1x King's Rock
1x Dragon Scale

And one of them attached to a Kabuto please or I'll substitute one of my choices for a Dome Fossil if you have them.

^sorry no bagon. But we can talk about pokemon ones I pm you.
Andrex said:
are these held or do I have to claim them as soon as possible?
You just claimed them ;-)

sonicspear64 said:
So you're just doing this out of the kindness of your heart and I can just give you any old pokemon for items/pokemon?!
Yes I don't need them myself anyway.

edit: I'm off to dinner right now, I'll be sending pm to those who already asked for items in an hour or so(just so you aren't sitting and waiting right now)

Wiseblade

I also happen to have 37 Heart Scales
Mine_Heart_Scale.png
if anyone needs some. an a buttload of every evolutionary stone apart from water should Metroid run out.

Veitsev

Metroid Killer said:

I'd like:

1x Leaf Stone
1x Shiny Stone
1x Fire Stone
1x Metal Coat

Pokemon I am looking for are Porygon, Aerodactyl, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and any of the starters cept Charmander, Totodile, and Chikorita.

SS: 4769-9796-6628

Dogenzaka

Banned
Wiseblade said:
I also happen to have 37 Heart Scales
Mine_Heart_Scale.png
if anyone needs some. an a buttload of every evolutionary stone apart from water should Metroid run out.

2 Shiny Stones + Heart Scales PLEASE.

Shiny Stone evolves Togetic, right? I needs mah Togekiss!

Veitsev

Dogenzaka said:
2 Shiny Stones + Heart Scales PLEASE.

Shiny Stone evolves Togetic, right? I needs mah Togekiss!

Yeah it does. Its why I want one :)

Oh and I also have like 10 charmanders bred if anyone wants one. I have like 70 pokemon on my dex and I only have 7 badges so if you want one just make me an offer and if its something I don't already have (which is damn likely) then I'll trade ya one. I have been just flipping them on the GTS for things on the national dex I can't get yet. (I did get a japanese growlithe tho that was cool)

CoolS

Dogenzaka said:
You jog for your school assignments?

No, I have the habit of moving my legs while sitting (which drives people in class crazy) and when i attach my Pokéwalker on my pants around my knee, it counts that as steps. Already 16000 steps today.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Metroid Killer said:
I would mainly like starters (from any gen, really, although I already have totodile and cyndaquil) and soul silver exclusives.

Dragon Scales, shiny stones, heart scales for me.

Johann

womp said:
For a water Pokemon he just doesn't seem to be doing much in the way of water so far that Psyduck can do more of at the moment. I had Totodile in my Pokewalker at the time he was set to learn Bite so I missed out on that too but still, that wasn't a big deal as far as I can tell. I'm really not too excited about him so far. If I stick with him will he get better?

One of my favorite Pokemon from what I've played has been Turtwig. I miss him in this. :(

Totodile is probably the best starter in the long run. It has an excellent attack stat and the a great move pool. It may seem weak at first because of moves such as Rage and the special attack based Water Gun. It becomes much stronger as Croconaw and Feraligatr when you get access to physical attacks and TMs/HMs, especially Ice Fang and Waterfall. Feraligatr is invaluable late in the game when its variety of moves can make mince-meat out Gym Leaders and the Elite Four.

Dogenzaka said:
WTF does it take to win the Bug Contest??

I caught a lvl 30 Scyther and I lost to a Paras! WTF

Compound Eyes Butterfree + Sleep Powder + BALLZ... LOTS OF THEM!!

Try to get it at a full health and as high a level as possible.

So, someone finally traded my Cyndaquil for a Totodile, which happened to be a HM slave (surf, cut, and waterfall) and also male. I had him breed with a Ditto, and I think that the new Totodile will inherit these moves, right? Where can I make him forget them?

Also, if this Totodile belongs to someone from another country (a.k.a. international breeding) are the chances of obtaining a shiny Totodile bigger, and if so, how easy is it?

Thanks in advance.

JADS

upandaway said:
Aw man, so no DeepSeaTooth after all.

Guess I'll really have to go inside that stupid Marsh for a Carvahna.

I have a spare DeepSeaTooth that I am willing to trade in my Diamond version.

Wichu

Minister of the Dog said:
So, someone finally traded my Cyndaquil for a Totodile, which happened to be a HM slave (surf, cut, and waterfall) and also male. I had him breed with a Ditto, and I think that the new Totodile will inherit these moves, right? Where can I make him forget them?

Also, if this Totodile belongs to someone from another country (a.k.a. international breeding) are the chances of obtaining a shiny Totodile bigger, and if so, how easy is it?

Thanks in advance.
There's a move deleter in Blackthorn City.

Breeding two Pokémon from different-language games quadruples the chance of hatching a shiny. However, it's still very difficult (1/8192 normally, so 1/2048 with international parents).

EDIT: An enemy Clefable just used Metronome. It got a critical hit Judgment and almost KOed my Slowpoke (how did it not KO?)

Wizpig

Metroid Killer said:

+Bonus!!!
Since we're gonna have to trade anyway you might as well get some pokemon that you are searching for. I'm only short of 70 pokemon for a full dex and can therefore breed most of the pokemon in the game.
Waaait, you mean the complete Pokédex?
With R/S P/D Pokémon too? oh shi-

Anyway, I'd like
Metal Coat x1
Dragon Scale x1
King's Rock x1
Reaper Cloth x1

Just the items!

I'll edit later with my FC, or I will PM you anyway; thanks!
Let me know if you need something from HeartGold, even if I am at the very beginning...
I have the Italian copy of the game...

Wichu said:
There's a move deleter in Blackthorn City.

Breeding two Pokémon from different-language games quadruples the chance of hatching a shiny. However, it's still very difficult (1/8192 normally, so 1/2048 with international parents).

Thanks! I think I won't try to hatch a shiny Totodile, 1/2048 means a lot of tries. If anyone would like to try, I can share some unhatched eggs or a Totodile itself, since I have the Spanish version of the game. The same goes for Cyndaquil eggs/pokémon.

I just read at Bulbapedia that both move relearner and move deleter live in the same house in that city, good to know.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
CoolS said:
I wouldn't say that. I currently leveling my Magby while doing an assignment for school.

You lose out on Moves learned on level up, if the Pokemon hits that move's level requirement in the Pokewalker.

So yes, it's a Furret walker instead of being a "useful Pokemon" walker.

CoolS

TheSeks said:
You lose out on Moves learned on level up, if the Pokemon hits that move's level requirement in the Pokewalker.

So yes, it's a Furret walker instead of being a "useful Pokemon" walker.
Not if I check first if it would learn a move I want it to learn and do that level up ingame :) And if it doesn't learn anything, I'll just level it on the walker.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Metroid Killer said:

In order not to clutch up the thread, please only quote the red text at the top of this post when replying.

+Bonus!!!

Screw the evolution items, I rather you breed me the Kanto/Shinno/Hoenn starters and the Water/Grass starter from Johto. Of course, this means I have to go sit my ass back on the DS, buy some Pokeballs and go out and toss Pokeballs for some garbage tradeable Pokemon. :lol

jdogmoney

Metroid Killer said:

metalc.png
Metal Coat: 8
Onix -> Steelix (trade)

Ooh, metal coat, please.

I won't be able to trade until later this evening, but my friend code is 2321-8526-9740. Since I only want it to make my Scyther a Scizor, would it be a hassle for me to trade you my Scyther, and you attach the metal coat and trade it back?

If so, no worries.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
TheSeks said:
Screw the evolution items, I rather you breed me the Kanto/Shinno/Hoenn starters and the Water/Grass starter from Johto. Of course, this means I have to go sit my ass back on the DS, buy some Pokeballs and go out and toss Pokeballs for some garbage tradeable Pokemon. :lol
Since everyone is being so generous, I could breed you all the starters. I think I have them all, but I could be missing torchic.

Either way in about 8 hours I will be free to trade, so I'll see if you still need them by then.

womp

TheSeks said:

I'd love to play Silver with a Turtwig or Charmander. :(

When does the WiFi trading open up in this game? I just beat the first gym.

Metroid Killer said:
metalc.png
Metal Coat: 4
Onix -> Steelix (trade)
+Bonus!!!
Can I have the Metal Coat? And can we trade my Onix back and forth to evolve it into a Steelix?

Also, can I have any one of the HGSS starters aside from Totodile? Doesn't matter which one, since I'll get the other one via SS when I get it. Thanks a lot.

FootNinja said:
Since everyone is being so generous, I could breed you all the starters. I think I have them all, but I could be missing torchic.

Either way in about 8 hours I will be free to trade, so I'll see if you still need them by then.
If that wasn't just a specific offer, I'd absolutely love a Charmander and Squirtle.

Top Bottom