• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Firestorm

Echoes said:
Ok, here's a random post. My birthday was due at March 4. A dear friend of mine (back then) surprised me with a Mega Man cake. Today I visited another great friend and he surprised me even more, even though it being a late bday gift.

Can anyone guess what the gift was? No, it is not something in-game, though it is Pokemon related. It made me scream "no fucking way" so yeah, it is awesome.
Probably not as awesome as this:
20ix76c.jpg

Echoes

Big Charmander with wings = awesome!

Oh and, this is where I'd say that Palkia and Dialga are the worst main legendaries ever. ECK.

Mush

I hate this thread with a passion. Most of my friends are playing this right now and I don't have a DS to play HG/SS on. I would pick up a DS in a heartbeat to play Pokemonz again but then there's that thing called the 3DS coming soon.

RAGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEE

upandaway

Echoes said:
http://unseencolors.com/upload/79775869-db3896cf60a0ff2ba754ed45e1787f24.4baf2128-full.jpg[IMG]

All of his Pokemon games.[/QUOTE]
Aww man and they all look new and everything. I would treasure the first 6 like my children.

[QUOTE=Firestorm]Probably not as awesome as this:
[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/20ix76c.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Nah didn't like it. The feet's all torn.
Can compliment the preorder figurines though.

[QUOTE=Mush]I hate this thread with a passion. Most of my friends are playing this right now and I don't have a DS to play HG/SS on. I would pick up a DS in a heartbeat to play Pokemonz again but then there's that thing called the 3DS coming soon.

RAGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEE[/QUOTE]
Buy the game, play on your friend's DS whenever you can. The 3DS is backwards compatible.

vulva

can you even do online trading in this game/anyone wanna send me a dude to borrow to fight clair? ;p

I'll give it back after!

wait: I forgot my router is WPA. Stupid DS =(

Wiseblade

Mush said:
I hate this thread with a passion. Most of my friends are playing this right now and I don't have a DS to play HG/SS on. I would pick up a DS in a heartbeat to play Pokemonz again but then there's that thing called the 3DS coming soon.

RAGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEE

That thing's like a year away. you can pick uo a DS lite on the cheap an join in now!
I wont be getting the game for a few weeks...

Mush

Wiseblade said:
That thing's like a year away. you can pick uo a DS lite on the cheap an join in now!
I wont be getting the game for a few weeks...
I'll probably end up doing this anyway. Won't be for a few weeks though. In the mean time I'll finish planning my party... Can I get a Chinchou before Kanto?

CoolS

Just got my 4th badge. Didn't have to much problems with any of the gyms until now.

My current team is:

Bayleef
Skarmory
Magby
Flaaffy
Staryu

Obviously I traded Skarmory over as an egg and I traded over two TMs for Staryu as well. Skarmory is kind of an HM slave.
All are currently at around Level 22 so they are a bit underleveled.

My question: Could you guys recommend me a good 6th Pokémon. I don't really know what I want to add.

Wichu

Voltorb Flip is really addictive... I can't believe I have over 10000 coins already :p
The highest level I've been on is 7; the one thing I hate about it is the seemingly random level-downs. Does anyone know how they work (i.e. why sometimes you drop 1 level, and sometimes 3 or 4)?

EDIT: Just now, I dropped from level 6 to 5, then right after, 5 to 1 :(

upandaway

CoolS said:
Just got my 4th badge. Didn't have to much problems with any of the gyms until now.

My current team is:

Bayleef
Skarmory
Magby
Flaaffy
Staryu

Obviously I traded Skarmory over as an egg and I traded over two TMs for Staryu as well. Skarmory is kind of an HM slave.
All are currently at around Level 22 so they are a bit underleveled.

My question: Could you guys recommend me a good 6th Pokémon. I don't really know what I want to add.
Either Dark or Psychic, you need one of those.

Magni

Obsessed said:
What is the % chance with a Heavy Ball? Worse or better than a Dusk Ball?

I think I'll just buy 241 Pokeballs. That way sounds so much cooler.

HP max = 157 (Lugia's HP at Lvl 45 is between 150 and 164)
HP current = 40 (roughly 25% of 157)
catch rate = 3 (Lugia's catch rate)
ball bonus = +20 (heavy ball makes it +20, not *20)
status bonus = 1.5

a = 3.799363057
b = 22896.33431

p = 1.490%

The formulas for a, b, and p are located here.

In the best case scenario (Lugia with 1/150 HP), you'd have an 1.783% chance with a Heavy Ball. With a Dusk Ball that chance is 7.028%. Go for Dusk Balls.

Disguises

Wichu said:
Voltorb Flip is really addictive... I can't believe I have over 10000 coins already :p
The highest level I've been on is 7; the one thing I hate about it is the seemingly random level-downs. Does anyone know how they work (i.e. why sometimes you drop 1 level, and sometimes 3 or 4)?

EDIT: Just now, I dropped from level 6 to 5, then right after, 5 to 1 :(
Is it something to do with how many numbers you turn over before getting a voltorb? It got me addicted for a few hours but I got a bit cocky once I had enough coins for a dratini.

I found my little brother's phat ds lying around and I managed to score a power cable on amazon to get it working again.

If I trade two of my pokemon from platinum to SS and I breed them in that daycare center will they have an id from that game?

I'd like to just get a magby and elekid that I can xp boost to level 100 by grinding the elite 4 over and over on platinum instead of the usual slow xp gains.

I'm considering buying this very soon but I've got a few questions first that I hope someone can answer.

1: Does the Pokewalker require much attention, or will it keep racking up watts unmonitored? The only time I'd be able to use it is while I'm at work, but I don't have time to keep stopping and pressing buttons if it keeps throwing various options up.

2: Are gift Pokemon like Eevee pre-defined when you start the game or when you recieve them? For example I really want a shiny Eevee and don't mind soft reseting until I get one, would that work?

3: If I import some Pokemon from my Sapphire cartridge (haven't played a Pokemon game since then) to add them to my Pokedex can they be sent back or is it a one way deal?

JosM88 said:
If I trade two of my pokemon from platinum to SS and I breed them in that daycare center will they have an id from that game?

I'd like to just get a magby and elekid that I can xp boost to level 100 by grinding the elite 4 over and over on platinum instead of the usual slow xp gains.
No hatched pokemon has the ID of the game they were hatched on, though I can give you some japanese ones that will get you an even higher xp boost.

Wichu

Azure Phoenix said:
I'm considering buying this very soon but I've got a few questions first that I hope someone can answer.

1: Does the Pokewalker require much attention, or will it keep racking up watts unmonitored? The only time I'd be able to use it is while I'm at work, but I don't have time to keep stopping and pressing buttons if it keeps throwing various options up.

2: Are gift Pokemon like Eevee pre-defined when you start the game or when you recieve them? For example I really want a shiny Eevee and don't mind soft reseting until I get one, would that work?

3: If I import some Pokemon from my Sapphire cartridge (haven't played a Pokemon game since then) to add them to my Pokedex can they be sent back or is it a one way deal?
1. You can just leave the Pokéwalker alone; it doesn't need any interaction. Occasionally your Pokémon will pick up items/Watts, though, so it's worth checking every so often.

2. They're set when you pick them up, so you can SR them.

3. One way only, I'm afraid.

Metroid Killer said:
No hatched pokemon has the ID of the game they were hatched on, though I can give you some japanese ones that will get you an even higher xp boost.
If you breed those in my game then they would have your always have your ID numbers right?

If that is the case then I'd love to trade when I make it back from work tonight. I'll pm you about it since I have to get ready for work now.

thanks

JosM88 said:
If you breed those in my game then they would have your always have your ID numbers right?
What? If I breed my japanese critters and gave the eggs to you, then when you hatch them in your game they'll be american(or where you live) and have your ID. So for you to get the extra boost I'll have to hatch them before trasnfering them to you.

But sure just send me a pm when you can.

Axis

ok i have to clear out some of these breeding boxes lol

i have togepi with nasty plot, scyther with swords dance/substitute/baton pass, larvitar with dragon dance and some other random stuff...if you want anything just pm me!

also looking for someone to help me transfer a few things over from platinum and diamond

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I really don't like any of the pre-nat dex available Fire Pokemons, but I have to have one... Looks like it's just me and this stupid Vulpix.

By the way, how/where can I get some evolution stones, IE, fire, electric, etc?

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
Probably answered already (or even in the manual) but could i theoretically put a pokemon on my Pokewalker from say Heart Gold and then transfer it to Soul Silver from the same pokewalker?

Big Ass Ramp said:
I really don't like any of the pre-nat dex available Fire Pokemons, but I have to have one... Looks like it's just me and this stupid Vulpix.

By the way, how/where can I get some evolution stones, IE, fire, electric, etc?
You can get a magby from one of the very first pokewalker courses, and evo stone can be found at the pokeathlon, though I'm most likely gonna have a big give-away later today :D

Vanille

AssassiN said:
Probably answered already (or even in the manual) but could i theoretically put a pokemon on my Pokewalker from say Heart Gold and then transfer it to Soul Silver from the same pokewalker?

Not possible.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Metroid Killer said:
You can get a magby from one of the very first pokewalker courses, and evo stone can be found at the pokeathlon, though I'm most likely gonna have a big give-away later today :D

K, thanks. I really don't like Magby/Magmar, they freak me out. I just figured out I can get a Ponyta from the Pokewalker, he's not too bad. I think I'll go with him.

Gestahl

Only one badge so far, but the remakes have solidified my opinion that the G/S/C series has the best variety of Pokemon in the main quest. Already have 3-4 picks that I'm seriously considering to make full time party members.

Wichu

Disguises said:
Is it something to do with how many numbers you turn over before getting a voltorb? It got me addicted for a few hours but I got a bit cocky once I had enough coins for a dratini.
After some further research, this seems to be the case. Say you're on level 5; if you flip 0 or 1, then get a Voltorb, you go to level 1. Flip 2, you go to level 2, etc. If you flip 5 or more, you don't level down.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
upandaway said:
That Flail+rain thing?
Well it only learns 4 moves total (Splash, Tackle, Flail, Bounce), so that's already decided. Only real questions are "Jolly or Adamant?" and whether it's worth it to use anything but a Focus Sash.

I just want to see what kind of streak anyone could hope to get with it.

What is your opinion on spoiling and pokemon games? With sites like serebii and bulbapedia that turns every stone in the game we have the option to know everything beforehand.

I think that the games are a pretty odd size when it comes to spoiling. On one hand they aren't very story-based certainly not for being rpg games. It's only a notch above Mario game in that regard. But still there are certainly times where I'm glad I didn't use a guide.

Then there's also the fact that they are so content heavy, and if I didn't use a guide in some way there would be so much stuff I would miss. Take Mt. Mortar for example, as I was filling the Johto pokedex pretty good I was wondering when I would get the Hitmon___ pokemons, when I didn't get one from the fighting dojo in Safron City as I thought I would, I then discovered that I had missed a pretty big cave with exclusive pokemon and items.

And not knowing if there would be a 1% rare pokemon in some route also feels like missing out on stuff. Since much of the content in the games are hiding behind low % encounters I think it is necessary to use a guide.

The way I've used bulbapedia and co, is everytime I entered a new area I would explore it myself, fight the trainers and stuff, then I would check one of the guides and see if there were some rare stuff I missed.

I think it's rare that you have to balance this issue so much in a game. And I guess since I'm taking my time with the main quest it doesn't make it easier, whereas most people would plow through the main game and then declare the game for 'spoiler-open'.

Sixfortyfive

I don't consider anything unrelated to plot to be a "spoiler" in the first place, and since Pokemon is so light on plot I hardly care about spoilers in this series at all.

I don't really use guides or other reference material for the initial playthrough, though. I don't even bother catching many Pokemon until the post-game, and I spend most of my money on Repels prior to that. After I get all the HMs and the Itemfinder, I usually take my time in exploring the map from one corner to the other, catching more Pokemon, turning over every rock for every hidden item, talking to every NPC and taking notes down for anything important that I'd have to get back to later. I'm in the middle of doing so right now actually: 100% done with Kanto and about 60% done with Johto. After that, it's back to training for Red.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I just noticed how many people here are posting with Pokemon avatars. :lol
Myself included of course.

How do you get the magnet train ticket?

Merovin

So Bayleef was just on the pokéwalker, sent him back, levelled up to 22. Didn't learn Magical Leaf?! What the hell! I thought it was supposed to learn attacks or evolve when sent back?!

Sixfortyfive

Andrex said:
I just noticed how many people here are posting with Pokemon avatars. :lol
Myself included of course.

How do you get the magnet train ticket?
Retrieve Copycat's Pokedoll.

CoolS

Merovin said:
So Bayleef was just on the pokéwalker, sent him back, levelled up to 22. Didn't learn Magical Leaf?! What the hell! I thought it was supposed to learn attacks or evolve when sent back?!

Sadly, it doesn't learn any new attacks. That's why I started to look up a Pokémon's moveset before transferring it to the walker. But it sure is a pain in the ass.

Wichu

Merovin said:
Nope, that's the major downside of the Pokéwalker.

Merovin said:
Nope, leveling up in the pokewalker wont gain any EV stats, evolutions or moves.

You'll have to EV train it yourself, level it up in the game in order for it to evolve and trade heart scales in Blackthorn City in order to learn previous moves.

OMG Aero

There is no real point in sending Pokemon you use to the PokeWalker anyway. Just send random Pokemon you catch and put in the PC, like Sentret or Rattata.

Wizpig

Metroid Killer said:
What is your opinion on spoiling and pokemon games? With sites like serebii and bulbapedia that turns every stone in the game we have the option to know everything beforehand.
Hate guide spoilers, if you remove the experience from Pokémon it's not like you have much left imo.
I'm not going to use those websites, if not to check planned events. (ha, as if)

Well and maybe I will check what you get if you play HeartGold with GreenLeaf or other old games in Slot 2... but not right now.
I don't even HAVE a Slot 2.

CoolS

OMG Aero said:
There is no real point in sending Pokemon you use to the PokeWalker anyway. Just send random Pokemon you catch and put in the PC, like Sentret or Rattata.
I wouldn't say that. I currently leveling my Magby while doing an assignment for school.

Top Bottom