• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Got stuck in an endless battle against Morty and had to restart the whole gym over. He knocked out my main pokemon and I had to send out a Rattata against his Gengar till I could use a revive on Feraligatr. His Gengar immediately used that attack that prevents the enemy from leaving battle. I didn't have any attack on Rattata that could hurt ghost pokemon, and none of Gengar's attacks hit Rattata.

rainking187 said:
Got stuck in an endless battle against Morty and had to restart the whole gym over. He knocked out my main pokemon and I had to send out a Rattata against his Gengar till I could use a revive on Feraligatr. His Gengar immediately used that attack that prevents the enemy from leaving battle. I didn't have any attack on Rattata that could hurt ghost pokemon, and none of Gengar's attacks hit Rattata.
Rattata w/ Bite = GREAT JOB!

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
rainking187 said:
I would have reset too, but it technically wouldn't have been endless. Eventually, his Gengar would have ran out of PP and started using Flail, which does damage to himself in addition to you. So with enough potions to keep your Rattata alive, his Gengar would have killed himself.

cdyhybrid

PounchEnvy said:
Clair story

My fight with her was pretty frustrating too. I was also underleveled, my highest poke was my Ampharos at 34, who one-shotted her Gyarados. My 32 Starmie took care of both of her Dragonairs with Ice Beam. Then came the Kingdra. Sent out Ampharos, Quick Claw activated, and used Thunder Wave. Ampharos eventually died after getting Kingdra into the yellow (and using up the healing berry), so I sent out my ultimate cheeser, Togekiss with Air Slash, Roost, and Substitute with Serene Grace. Cheesed her down until she used a Hyper Potion, fully healing Kingdra. Cheesed her down AGAIN and then she used a Full Restore, removing the Paralysis and fully healing it. I almost threw my DS through my window. Had to throw some sacrificial lambs out there while I revived and healed Ampharos (and Togekiss just in case) but Ampharos came back in, Quick Claw paralyzed her again (and the paralysis actually worked this time!) and 2-shotted her with Discharge. A big FU to gym leaders who use two healing items.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
rainking187 said:
>>Gengar<<

IIRC, Foresight + Revenge + "Muscle"/traded Machop = Dead Gengar, IIRC. It's been a week and I forget the exact Pokemon I used in Morty's Gym. I know Foresight allows most "non-Ghost-able" moves to hit, meanwhile.

Edit: ETA, oh and Focus Energy/"<name> IS GETTING PUMPED" Use that, Foresight + Revenge and you'd punch Gengar in the cooter.

Also Scyther is snuggling up to me. Which is D'awww--wait, what, aren't your hands blades? D: D: D:

YagizY

Thinking about getting this game. Are the following pokemon catchable in game:

Abra
Eevee
Charmander
Gengar

Also, is the pokewalker stuff neat?

TheSeks

YagizY said:
Thinking about getting this game. Are the following pokemon catchable in game:

Abra
Eevee
Charmander
Gengar

Also, is the pokewalker stuff neat?

Yes.
No, but can be gotten through
Bill in Goldenrod
No, but can be gotten through
Professor Oak in Kanto, but you get a choice of the R/B/Y Kanto starters and it's ONLY ONE PER PERSON/GAME, so you have to trade for the others
Yes, technically through Gastly/Haunter -> Trade to someone.

Pokewalker is hit/miss for me. It's a neat idea and I like it counting steps (though that's hit/miss on being accurate for people), and I like being able to catch harder to find Pokemon (but 10K requirement is a bit daunting for my day-to-day as I don't walk THAT much), and the "Journal" of the Pokemon's day is cute (but it's repetitive).

So it's a neat addition, but it isn't the draw of the remake.

TheSeks

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Evee and Abra are available through the Pokéwalker too. At least, that's what the Serebii guide said.

Abra can be gotten in game easier through
Voltorb Flip
than the wild, of course "easier" is subjective.

Eevee in-game is a no for wild. Dunno about the Pokewalker, can't say on that, but I don't think it can be (unless it's on a course I haven't unlocked yet).

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Obsessed said:
You are wrong. Why would the evolution of a Pokemon be weaker than the pre-evolution?
Seems like I had remembered something about Gengar haven't a weakness that Haunter did not have. I don't remember what it was, I think it was something to do with type but they obviously have the same types.

Anyway, seems like I remember something from way back about Haunter being better than Gengar in some ways, too.

Maximus.

TheSeks said:
Voltorb Flip

Eevee in-game is a no for wild. Dunno about the Pokewalker, can't say on that, but I don't think it can be (unless it's on a course I haven't unlocked yet).

i caught an Abra on my first try. Ghastly mean look = cant escape from battle! Also, is the only way to get Scyther in game(have gold) through the bug catching contest?

TheSeks said:
Voltorb Flip

According to this Eevee is on the Sightseeing route, but that's unlocked via an Event.

TheSeks

Fraull said:
Also, is the only way to get Scyther in game(have gold) through the bug catching contest?

Version shouldn't matter, it isn't exclusive, AFAIK. But yes, it can ONLY be gotten through the Bug Catching Contest, which is 24 hours Tue/Thur/Sat.

Poyunch

Obsessed said:
You are wrong. Why would the evolution of a Pokemon be weaker than the pre-evolution?
I do believe there is a Pokemon like this. It might only be a single stat but I remember there being a Pokemon that is like this.

Blizzard

Banned
fernoca said:
Awesome! Ignored the Yellow Forest can be unlocked through WiFi this Thursday! XD!
This coming Thursday? :O How do we do that? (I can google for myself if I have to, sorry to be lazy :p)

I didn't realize that some of the routes are events only. I hope they aren't go-to-gamestop events...

Blizzard said:
This coming Thursday? :O How do we do that? (I can google for myself if I have to, sorry to be lazy :p)

I didn't realize that some of the routes are events only. I hope they aren't go-to-gamestop events...
It's a wifi event, so I think it's going to be through the Mystery Gift thingy.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gah I wish the Pokewalker didn't reset. Or if it did it still counted your steps...

I'm never gonna get the rare Pokemon or items at this rate...

Unless... is biking analogous to walking as far as the Pokewalker is concerned?

Poyunch

fernoca said:
Awesome! Ignored the Yellow Forest can be unlocked through WiFi this Thursday! XD!
Well damn. My wifi doesn't seem to work for DS games (or it's really confusing). My DSi functions work perfectly with it but not the games and I got my friend to do the Pichu wifi event. I guess that means I'm going to have to find a free wifi spot. I'm going to feel kind of embarrassed going to my Starbucks just to sit down and play my DS.

Teknoman

Andrex said:
Gah I wish the Pokewalker didn't reset. Or if it did it still counted your steps...

I'm never gonna get the rare Pokemon or items at this rate...

Unless... is biking analogous to walking as far as the Pokewalker is concerned?

Any movement really. Just leave it on while you're driving/walking/at home/ on the bus/ exercising/ whatever and you'll end up with some steps.

PounchEnvy said:
I do believe there is a Pokemon like this. It might only be a single stat but I remember there being a Pokemon that is like this.

there are a few pokemon that have a radically different stat distribution than their evolutions, but they usually look radically different to tip you off. Trapinch has higher attack than Vibrava, but is much worse in all other stats. Scyther is faster than Scizor, but doesn't hit as hard.

Going back to the Gengar debate, during R/B/Y I read that it wasn't as good because it gained a second type, Poison, which made it susceptible to a lot more stuff than just Ghost.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Jet Grind Radio! said:
Going back to the Gengar debate, during R/B/Y I read that it wasn't as good because it gained a second type, Poison, which made it susceptible to a lot more stuff than just Ghost.
The entire Gastly line is Ghost/Poison. Pretty sure that it always has been.

Blizzard

Banned
Jet Grind Radio! said:
You're right. =O I keep being wrong in this thread. Maybe I should just be quiet. =X

:lol
I thought trade/stone evolutions (or maybe one of them) didn't learn moves after they evolved, but neither of those are apparently true. o_O

Blizzard said:
I thought trade/stone evolutions (or maybe one of them) didn't learn moves after they evolved, but neither of those are apparently true. o_O
I had no idea. The only one I knew that could do that was the Eevee evolutions.

Then maybe I should evolve my Weepinbell then.

Spirit3

One day of work, 20,000 steps. I hate my job. I don't hate this game. It reminds you of how awesome it was to be a kid. Gold and Silver introduced the Unown right?

Linkhero1

I'm thinking of revising my Pokemon team. Any recommendations?

I still haven't gotten every single one yet, but this will probably be my final team.

Typhlosion - My starter, I might actually stop using him in the future.
Electivire - Want to train it mainly with fighting moves
Alakazam - Speed and Sp. Attack are too good to pass up
Blastoise - Sp. Attack and Defense are pretty good
Umbreon - Sp. Defense is good.
Drapion - Speed and Defense are good.

Harpuia said:
I really, really hope that in the 5th gen, they get rid of HM moves.....god, there's too many in this game. :/
That, or have HMs be separate abilities that only exist outside of battle.

Although, Fly is pretty awesome in battles.

Jet Grind Radio! said:
That, or have HMs be separate abilities that only exist outside of battle.

Although, Fly is pretty awesome in battles.

Surf is also a fantastic move, except in double battle of course. But there are so few of them in this game it doesnt even matter.

fernoca

Aww..read on a prior link to Serebii that the 'Yellow Forest' Wi-Fi Gift starts on April 1st...but on the 'Upcoming Evets' section, it says April 2nd.....oh well..at least is this week. So I'll hold my hype a little and train my main/starter in the meantime..

Though after getting the first badge, had to restart the game..since noticed that my character's name...was missing a letter (Brndon instead of Brandon).. XD ... :( ..oh well, now it's Jimmy like the animated series.. :p

Firestorm

grandjedi6 said:
Rock Smash needs to be like 4x more powerful in Gen5. And no more defog/flash bullshit.
Would also be nice to have Defog remove stealth rock from your opponent's side rather than your own.

upandaway

I'm guessing HMs will see some change just because of what Masuda said a while back.

HMs are still not my biggest wanted change, though. If I had to choose, I'd rather they did some overhaul to the type effectiveness chart. There really need to be a lot of fundamental changes in order to both make the game more balanced and more in line with logic.
Oh yeah you reminded me, and fuck over Stealth Rock. Butcher it. Make it 60 accuracy.

:lol I just KO'd a lvl 27 Hitmonlee with a 16 Murkrow and a lvl 13 Drowsee. I had a little luck, but it was funny. Now if I could find a damn place to level on this island.

Firestorm

upandaway said:
Oh yeah you reminded me, and fuck over Stealth Rock. Butcher it.
gby006.gif

Echoes

Ok, here's a random post. My birthday was due at March 4. A dear friend of mine (back then) surprised me with a Mega Man cake. Today I visited another great friend and he surprised me even more, even though it being a late bday gift.

Can anyone guess what the gift was? No, it is not something in-game, though it is Pokemon related. It made me scream "no fucking way" so yeah, it is awesome.

upandaway

Echoes said:
Ok, here's a random post. My birthday was due at March 4. A dear friend of mine (back then) surprised me with a Mega Man cake. Today I visited another great friend and he surprised me even more, even though it being a late bday gift.

Can anyone guess what the gift was? No, it is not something in-game, though it is Pokemon related. It made me scream "no fucking way" so yeah, it is awesome.
If you will not say what it is with a pic within 10 seconds I will not speak to you ever again. My god.

Top Bottom