• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Fusebox

Banned
The online component of this game is killing me. I wanted to setup my FC so I could get an item from Metroid Killer. I dropped all my security down to WEP 128, connected the DS. Test online, go into Pokemon trying to get my FC. Do I want to save? No, I just saved thanks - oh well no entry for you. Try again, do you want to save? Fine. It lets me into the Wifi club. No FC to be found. Lets try Wireless plaza. Do I want to save? No, I just saved thanks - oh well no entry for you. Try again, do you want to save? Fine. Connecting to Nintendo Wifi...... connecting.... connecting.... No access point found. Um, it worked 30 seconds ago. Back out again. Lets try Wireless plaza one more time. Do I want to save? No, I just saved thanks - oh well no entry for you. Try again, do you want to save? Fine. Connecting to Nintendo Wifi...... connecting.... connecting.... and now I'm in, but I still can't find my FC anywhere.

I love the game, I really dig the ad-hoc wireless but the online component seems like a clunky, flakey, unsecure time-sink, and where the hell can I see my friends code if I didn't write it down the first time?

upandaway

You seem awfully stubborn about not saving. They have to force it so that you can't cheat out of trades or battles.

You can see your FC by going to the Key Items bag and opening up Pal Pad, then selecting "My FC" or something like that.

Fusebox said:
The online component of this game is killing me. I wanted to setup my FC so I could get an item from Metroid Killer. I dropped all my security down to WEP 128, connected the DS. Test online, go into Pokemon trying to get my FC. Do I want to save? No, I just saved thanks - oh well no entry for you. Try again, do you want to save? Fine. It lets me into the Wifi club. No FC to be found. Lets try Wireless plaza. Do I want to save? No, I just saved thanks - oh well no entry for you. Try again, do you want to save? Fine. Connecting to Nintendo Wifi...... connecting.... connecting.... No access point found. Um, it worked 30 seconds ago. Back out again. Lets try Wireless plaza one more time. Do I want to save? No, I just saved thanks - oh well no entry for you. Try again, do you want to save? Fine. Connecting to Nintendo Wifi...... connecting.... connecting.... and now I'm in, but I still can't find my FC anywhere.

I love the game, I really dig the ad-hoc wireless but the online component seems like a clunky, flakey, unsecure time-sink, and where the hell can I see my friends code if I didn't write it down the first time?

Pal pad in your item menu has all your codes in there, you know where you had to put them in.
Be more annoyed by the fact it just refuses some people to trade, fucking wasted 30 mins trying to trade with one guy on here and it both just kept kicking whoever would try and connect out. Sucks :/

JADS

Captain N said:
If you have Chikorita & Cyndaquil that would be amazing.

My FC is 3610 0246 2986, what is yours? I have a Chikorita and Cyndaquil waiting for you. We will need to turn off the microphone when trading, you can do that by pressing X in the Connected friends screen.

HunkyDory

Neo Member
Johnlenham said:
Pal pad in your item menu has all your codes in there, you know where you had to put them in.
Be more annoyed by the fact it just refuses some people to trade, fucking wasted 30 mins trying to trade with one guy on here and it both just kept kicking whoever would try and connect out. Sucks :/

I have the same problem. I tried to trade with one of my friends, but it just kept booting her out of the room over and over.

Other than the issues with the online, it's great game. Although, Miltank is the work of the Devil. :/

jdogmoney

So I went in to Gamestop to treat myself to a cheap used game (the first Condemned) and I decide to pick up the Game Informer with Portal 2 on the cover. There's a sentence that I shall reproduce with no comment from me that I think you guys should be made aware of:

[From an article on the Pokewalker.]

"Though SoulSilver is just a remake of Game Boy Color's Silver with a visual makeover and limited touch screen functionality, these added features could be enough of an incentive for players of the original to give it another go."

So I beat Witney over the weekend. Her
Chansey actually gave me more trouble than her Miltank did. I opened with Mareep and Thunder Wave'd its arse, but it used Mimic and proceeded to Thunder Wave my arse. Very annoying. I managed to have my Mareep survive (just) and Thunder Wave her Miltank before it got knocked out. Unfortunately, no time to Cotton Spore it.

I switched to my Gastly and pulled off a Curse, just before her Miltank used Rollout and killed it too. I was then like "Curse'll kill her eventually, but I need to use delay tactics to have my Totodile survive long enough to hit the final blow if it has to.

I switch in an HM slave Rattatta and pull off some Tail Whips thanks to paralysis. Rollout *bang* Fainted.

I switch in an HM slave Machop I got in a trade and thanks to paralysis manage to get in a Low Kick. It and Curse finish off the Miltank and Machop gets the sweet, sweet EXP instead of my Totodile >:-(

Not. Happy. Witney.

Also, I caught a bunch of Abras outside Goldenrod (screw using my precious coins for one) if anyone has had trouble getting one.

Also, I got a Ditto with Metal Powder. I know Metal Powder is rare, but is it very useful?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow, Lugia's entrance redone is pretty cool. Doesn't hurt that it uses the DS's (craptacular) 3D in a way that doesn't suck.

What nature should I shoot for with Lugia? Or does it really matter?

Go through Mt Mortar for the kung fu guy.
Forgot to make a space in my party

fuuuuu.png

vrdp34.gif

Michan said:
Where do you find Ditto?
In the grass just south of Goldenrod. Its encounter rate is ridiculously low (I'd have missed it if I hadn't spent so much time Abra hunting) and I'm not sure if it's dependent on time of day.

Actually, come to think of it... I should start breeding my starter, shouldn't I?

btkadams

so for breeding, my electabuzz (male) and my ditto didnt like each other. does the pokemon that breeds with ditto have to be female?

No, there are a number of responses that indicate compatibility. As much as it doesn't seem to be, "They don't seem to like each other" is one of these phrases.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'm about to jump into superior silver, just a question. How far do I have to go before I'm able to trade over pokemon from Pearl to Silver?

TheSeks

Kave_Man said:
I'm about to jump into superior silver, just a question. How far do I have to go before I'm able to trade over pokemon from Pearl to Silver?

Offline: Next town from starter town.
Online: First Gym
GTS: Goldenrod.

Fitz

I've got two questions that I can't seem to find definitive answers to:

1)Back in the Red/Blue days I always used to hear that using Rare Candy's would result in a Pokemon not as strong as one levelled via exp, is this still true? (If it ever was.)

2)I recently heard that a Pokemon of type (for example) Water using a Water move gets a damage bonus, something I've never been aware of. Is that true?

Kad5

I wanna teach my feraligatr hydro pump but I don't know which move to delete.

Shadow Claw

Waterfall(I dont wanna get rid of this move)

Crunch

Ice Fang

Wiseblade

Kad5 said:
I wanna teach my feraligatr hydro pump but I don't know which move to delete.

Shadow Claw

Waterfall(I dont wanna get rid of this move)

Crunch

Ice Fang

Are you sure you want to replace it? Waterfall will likely outdamage it on a Feraligatr. If I had to pick something, it would be Shadow Claw.

Colkate said:
I've got two questions that I can't seem to find definitive answers to:

1)Back in the Red/Blue days I always used to hear that using Rare Candy's would result in a Pokemon not as strong as one levelled via exp, is this still true? (If it ever was.)

2)I recently heard that a Pokemon of type (for example) Water using a Water move gets a damage bonus, something I've never been aware of. Is that true?

1) short answer: yes.

2) it's true. If a Pokemon uses a move with the same type as itself, it does 50% extra damage.

Kad5

Wiseblade said:
Are you sure you want to replace it? Waterfall will likely outdamage it on a Feraligatr. If I had to pick something, it would be Shadow Claw.

Well I dunno hydro pump kinda comes across as being a powerful water type move...then again shadow claw can be helpful....

upandaway

Shadow Claw is inferior to Crunch in every single aspect in the simplest way possible. Crunch is like Shadow Claw v2.0.

Still, like Wiseblade said, you're better off with neither of them. Try to find another move that covers more types.
Feraligatr's Special Attack is weaker than his Attack, that's why Hydro Pump will be weaker than Waterfall. And Dark as an offensive type is nearly the same as Ghost, only better, not to mention the attacks' power, so it's useless keeping Shadow Claw next to Crunch.

Kad5

upandaway said:
Shadow Claw is inferior to Crunch in every single aspect in the simplest way possible. Crunch is like Shadow Claw v2.0.

Still, like Wiseblade said, you're better off with neither of them. Try to find another move that covers more types.

Ok I guess ill pass on hydro pump. Ill replace shadow claw with earthquake down the road I suppose.

TheSeks

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Random question - Am I able to take eggs with me on the Pokewalker? Because that would in a stroke solve half the problems I ever had with breeding ever.

AFAIK, no.

Fitz

Thanks for the reply Wise, I'm quite surprised about the damage bonus from same type moves. Seems obvious but I don't remember ever being told about it.

Salaadin

I just found out something amazing. Youngster Joey just challenged me to a battle and I get there to find that his rattata evolved into raticate. This is unbelievable. I need to sit down.

Top Bottom