• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Hieberrr

Can someone explain to me what all of these breeding, EV and things are? I swear.. as soon as D/P/P came out, everything got a shit load more complicated.

Kyzer

Banned
Hieberrr said:
Can someone explain to me what all of these breeding, EV and things are? I swear.. as soon as D/P/P came out, everything got a shit load more complicated.

Basically there are two things that determine the strength of your Pokemon, other than their base stats.

"IV"s or "Individual Values" are like a Pokemon's DNA, and each stat can have an IV value between 0-31. 31 is the strongest. These are completely random.

"EV"s or "Effort Values", in short, are hidden points that are awarded to your Pokemon when they defeat another Pokemon that will determine which of their stats will grow. For example, defeating an Alakazam will give you 3 Sp. Atk EVs (max value from any Pokemon is 3 btw, without including Pokerus or Macho Brace), meaning that when your Pokemon's stat gains are calculated at level up, Your special attack will go up more.

Natures are just inherent ways that your Pokemon excel or fail at certain stats. I believe a red stat is one that is benefiting from a nature, and the blue one is the one that is lowered. (This is only in HGSS btw)

Hieberrr

Kyzer said:
Basically there are two things that determine the strength of your Pokemon, other than their base stats.

"IV"s or "Individual Values" are like a Pokemon's DNA, and each stat can have an IV value between 0-31. 31 is the strongest. These are completely random.

"EV"s or "Effort Values", in short, are hidden points that are awarded to your Pokemon when they defeat another Pokemon that will determine which of their stats will grow. For example, defeating an Alakazam will give you 3 Sp. Atk EVs (max value from any Pokemon is 3 btw, without including Pokerus or Macho Brace), meaning that when your Pokemon's stat gains are calculated at level up, Your special attack will go up more.

Natures are just inherent ways that your Pokemon excel or fail at certain stats. I believe a red stat is one that is benefiting from a nature, and the blue one is the one that is lowered. (This is only in HGSS btw)

Thanks, this actually explains a lot now :D
I've always wondered why poke-gaf was so into all of these different things when I was kind of.. playing it like I did 10 or so years ago xD

Kyzer said:

To add to this, it's important to know that:

1) a Pokemon can only have 510 EVs total
2) a maximum of 255 can be earned in any one stat
you don't want more than 252 though because only every 4 EVs actually contribute to your Pokemon's stats
3) there are berries that can reduce EVs so you can retrain Pokemon if you wish

Dogenzaka

Banned
flake said:
As someone who hasnt played the original gold and silver...whats the better DS generation Pokemon game...Soul Silver/Heart Gold or Pokemon Platinum?

While Gold and Silver might have a longer quest with 16 gym badges, the last 8 gym badges you will literally fly through in a couple of hours if you had a good team during the Elite Four.

Johto and Kanto's overall design hasn't aged too well, as it's apparent there were limitations to the GameBoy back in the day. Cities and routes are small and not very open-ended. It's actually not that interesting compared to Hoenn or Sinnoh in terms of overall location, environmental variety and stuff.

On the plus side, though, it's got a lot of features Platinum doesn't have, like the Pokeathalon, improved game/menu speed and touch-screen integration, having Pokemon follow you, the Pokewalker, etc.

Platinum on the other hand is also really good. It may lack some features of HGSS, but Sinnoh is an extremely beautiful and interesting land to explore. The cities, environments, routes and scenery is all very interesting and well-designed. I happen to like 4th Gen's Pokemon a bit more than 2nd Gen for some reason, so I have a bit of a bias to that.

Platinum also has Pokemon Contests and Poffins, which I enjoyed, a more difficult level spike in the main campaign (I'd say) and you will spend quite a bit of time grinding to pass the gyms.

Platinum introduced Pokemon with very unique ways of evolving.

Platinum also has things to do after you beat the Elite Four, though, just not 8 new badges.

I'd say get both, I like HGSS for its new features, but as far as overall game goes, I'd say Platinum is beast.

Dogenzaka said:
What does Macho Brace do?

Can I combine it WITH Pokerus?

Macho Brace doubles EV gain and stacks with Pokerus. So you get quadruple EV gain with both.

Power items kinda make Macho Brace obsolete though. The +4 modifier the Power items give will be doubled by Pokerus.

I gave up and used the Master Ball on Ho-oh in SoulSilver. That fucking bird would not get in the ball with poison status and 1 HP left >_>. I had used a Heavy Ball for Lugia, but I didn't have any when I went to catch Ho-oh...

Oh well

I got this at the same time as a few of my buddies. It's been a blast so far. I can't wait until we can have some level 50 fights and I can try out that Politoad I leveled up in Fire Red

And the Pedometer is neat too. My girlfriend and I like the little story it tells when our guys go back to the game. My Hoothoot fell down and her Sandshrew carried it along the rest of the way. :lol

My lvl 35 Xatu raped Clair's
Kingdra
. Me First'd Dragon Pulse almost OHKO'd the poor guy. Clair wasn't able to heal her because with Sitrus berry it stayed on Yellow health and got KO'd by another Me first'd Dragon Pulse on the next turn.

<3 Xatu.. Now on to Night Sky Edge to get that Psychic TM for her.

Gravijah

My Pokemood is rather shot. :/ I was looking to segue right into Platinum with my newly revitalized reasons for playing it, but someone has misplaced it. Gotta tear apart my house to find it.

FUCK YOU DRAGONITE. FUCK YOU THRICE!!!

Full restore after full restore, i finally brought lance down. Im so glad human battles dont use items because they would be 89 times more frustrating than this.

Poyunch

Eteric Rice said:
Whats the most important natured dittos to get?

I've been catching a bunch of em. :O
I have one for each (non-neutral) nature for breeding purposes. If you just want a few look for Pokemon you'd like to breed.

Wiseblade

Eteric Rice said:

The 6 major ones would be: Adamant, Modest, Jolly, Timid, Bold and Calm. There are a few other useful ones, but those six are probably the most important.

I just caught my first shiny ever that wasn't a red gyarados.

2zp5swh.gif

CoolS

So I'd like to do some trading starting tomorrow.

I am looking for a legit Deoxys, Celebi and Jirachi. I could offer some Mews, since I got a couple of them a few years back at a Nintendo event.

I am also looking for Cyndaquil and Totodile, preferably as eggs. I can offer all starters exept Mudkip for those.

I also need Silver exclusives like Vulpix, Ledyba, Teddiursa, Delibird, Mawile and Gulpin, but I don't have anything in particular to offer, just ask :)

Axis

ok i still need to get rid of these sooo just pm me if you want one

scyther - substitute/baton pass/swords dance

togepi - nasty plot

dratini & larvitar - dragon dance

teddiursa - no egg moves

absol - no egg moves(working on swords dance/baton pass)

aerodactyl - 4 level 20's available

and some random lvl 1 yanma(substintute), charmander(flamethrower/dragon claw), larvitar(earthquake), ralts, beldum, heracross(focus blast/night slash)

if you need/want anything else bred let me know and i'll see what i can do...i find it rather fun

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
CoolS said:

I am looking for a legit Deoxys, Celebi and Jirachi. I could offer some Mews, since I got a couple of them a few years back at a Nintendo event.

I am also looking for Cyndaquil and Totodile, preferably as eggs. I can offer all starters exept Mudkip for those.

I also need Silver exclusives like Vulpix, Ledyba, Teddiursa, Delibird, Mawile and Gulpin, but I don't have anything in particular to offer, just ask :)
Well I have cyndaquil, totodile and mudkip if you want them. I also have all of the SS exclusives.

I cant think of anything in particular that I want except for either help transferring 6 pokemon from my platinum file, or just heart scales if you don't feel like wasting a ton of time with a transfer.

Axis said:
ok i still need to get rid of these sooo just pm me if you want one

scyther - substitute/baton pass/swords dance
larvitar - dragon dance
aerodactyl - 4 level 20's available
lvl 1 yanma(substintute)
heracross(focus blast/night slash)

if you need/want anything else bred let me know and i'll see what i can do...i find it rather fun

I could use all of these :lol Not sure what I can offer in return though!
My connection seems to have sorted itself out aswell as I managed about 3 diffrent trades last night flawlessly.

CoolS said:

You got a spare dratini lying around?

I've got a ledyba that I caught in SS a few days ago.

Edit:
Preferably a female dratini.

Menmanelf

CoolS said:

I have a legit Celebi I can lend you for pokedex data if you want, but I don't want to trade it away permanantly.

Eteric Rice said:

Adamant and Modest are probably the most popular natures(since the focus on one attack and ditches the other), though Lonely, Mild, Calm and Timid also get their fair share.

And you defintely need Dittos when breeding for specific natures, some of you are crazy ending up with 30 plus useless pokemon :lol

Listen to the oak radio show everyday and if you are lucky you'll get a Ditto swarm making ditto hunting easy.

Axis

Metroid Killer said:
Adamant and Modest are probably the most popular natures(since the focus on one attack and ditches the other), though Lonely, Mild, Calm and Timid also get their fair share.

And you defintely need Dittos when breeding for specific natures, some of you are crazy ending up with 30 plus useless pokemon :lol

Listen to the oak radio show everyday and if you are lucky you'll get a Ditto swarm making ditto hunting easy.

are there any swarms that are version specific? i'm getting relicanth/kricketot/luvdisc with a sableye cycled in here and there...but nothing else lol

Axis said:
are there any swarms that are version specific? i'm getting relicanth/kricketot/luvdisc with a sableye cycled in here and there...but nothing else lol
Yeah Sableye and Baltoy swarms only appear in HG and Mawhile and Gulpin in SS.

Though it doesn't get better than a Chansey, Luvdisc or Ditto swarm, defintely the most beneficial.

Axis

Metroid Killer said:
Yeah Sableye and Baltoy swarms only appear in HG and Mawhile and Gulpin in SS.

Though it doesn't get better than a Chansey, Luvdisc or Ditto swarm, defintely the most beneficial.

I know that's right! I have about 30 heart scales over the past 20-30 minutes from this luvdisc swarm lol

So when we get to Kanto, are all the gyms leveled accordingly with your party or is it back to the base levels from the start of the game?

OMG Aero

How do you actually discover swarms in this game? When I listen to the Mary and Oak radio show Oak just says Pokemon I already know like "There are Zubat in Union Cave!"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Just a reminder - Yellow Forest comes out in Wifi tomorrow.

Also which of the Hitmons should I use more?

Wiseblade said:
what level do they appear at? could I just buy a ton of quick balls and go to town?
They are lvl 30-35 at route 47. Dittos catch rate is 35 so I brought my best catcher just in case.

OMG Aero said:
How do you actually discover swarms in this game? When I listen to the Mary and Oak radio show Oak just says Pokemon I already know like "There are Zubat in Union Cave!"
In the japanese version after introducing the show they announce that on Route___ is a lot of ___ pokemon.

upandaway

Ookami-kun said:
Just a reminder - Yellow Forest comes out in Wifi tomorrow.

Also which of the Hitmons should I use more?
Hitmonlee is the more offensive one and Hitmonchan is the more defensive one.

I think.

Metroid Killer said:
They are lvl 30-35 at route 47. Dittos catch rate is 35 so I brought my best catcher just in case.

Ditto assumes the catch rate of the pokemon he copied. Sending a Magikarp so he'll transform into one, is the best way to capture a Ditto.

I learned that after playing tons of hours in Emerald lol.

NinjaBoyLao said:
Ditto assumes the catch rate of the pokemon he copied. Sending a Magikarp so he'll transform into one, is the best way to capture a Ditto.

I learned that after playing tons of hours in Emerald lol.
Awesome! I have a Parasect as my catcher pokemon, and it started getting annoying when dittos used X-scissor and Spore on my parasect >_<

I've always wondered this, but never had an answer:

Does the Level and Pokemon of your Active Pokemon affect your chances of catching a given Pokemon in general?

For example, if I am using an Entei at level 80 to catch Pokemon, will that have more success than if I was using a Ratatta at level 5?

Android18a said:
Does the Level and Pokemon of your Active Pokemon affect your chances of catching a given Pokemon in general?
Not that I know of, it's only the species catch rate, hp and status that matter. Running away on the other side is more effective when having a higher level pokemon.

Top Bottom