• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

OMG Aero

Android18a said:
I've always wondered this, but never had an answer:

Does the Level and Pokemon of your Active Pokemon affect your chances of catching a given Pokemon in general?

For example, if I am using an Entei at level 80 to catch Pokemon, will that have more success than if I was using a Ratatta at level 5?
Not unless you are using a level ball, and even then it would be better to catch with a higher levelled Pokemon.

I've been kind of putting off playing for the last few days. I'm at the 8th gym but I'm pretty underleveled. I have one 37 and the rest of my team is 32-33. Where's the best place to grind?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Will anyone be around for a trade in a little bit? I want to transfer a party of six from Plat to HG in a few minutes and need a 3rd party to do it.

Dogenzaka said:
Can Suicune be manipulated with Synchronize?
Late answer, but no. The roamers cannot be Synchronized.

EDIT: Wait, duh. Suicune isn't technically a roamer. It can be synced.

CoolS

FootNinja said:
Well I have cyndaquil, totodile and mudkip if you want them. I also have all of the SS exclusives.

I cant think of anything in particular that I want except for either help transferring 6 pokemon from my platinum file, or just heart scales if you don't feel like wasting a ton of time with a transfer.

I'd like all of those starters. And I have no problem in helping you transfer those 6 pokemon :)

Also, I don't have any heart scales, so transferig is the easier option for me :D

JosM88 said:
You got a spare dratini lying around?

I've got a ledyba that I caught in SS a few days ago.

Edit:
Preferably a female dratini.

I actually have a female Dratini :)

I'd go with Geodude. If you get a male one you can breed Earthquake onto so many things without having to use your TM 26. Onix doesn't learn EQ naturally.

I'm finally getting close to the Eevee I want, but Goddamn is it an involved process. I want an Umbreon that knows Curse and Wish, but nothing in Eevee's egg group learns Wish naturally. So I had to raise my Togepi to Level 28, catch a male Smeargle and then get into a double battle so Smeargle could sketch it. Then off to the Safari Zone for a Haunter that knows Curse, level up Smeargle so it learns Sketch again. Repeat the double battle, only the only double battle around had Pokes too strong for my Level 20ish subjects, so I hadto keep resetting until I could put them to sleep long enough to do what I wanted to do. Then go and catch a Sassy or Careful Ditto, breed it with my Eevee until I get a female Careful or Sassy Eevee (which took forever), then breed that Eevee with the Smeargle.

After a few rotations of baby to parent I'm finally getting relatively consistently well-IV'd Eevees, so I hope it's all over soon. Umbreon's lucky he's as awesome as he is, otherwise I would have given up long ago.

btkadams

Mafro said:
I'm having a dilemma, Onix or Geodude?

Both are level 16, who should I keep in my party?
while matrix-cat's idea about the breeding is smart, if you're looking for one to keep in a party i would choose onix and evolve it into a steelix.

matrix-cat said:
I'd go with Geodude. If you get a male one you can breed Earthquake onto so many things without having to use your TM 26. Onix doesn't learn EQ naturally.

I'm finally getting close to the Eevee I want, but Goddamn is it an involved process. I want an Umbreon that knows Curse and Wish, but nothing in Eevee's egg group learns Wish naturally. So I had to raise my Togepi to Level 28, catch a male Smeargle and then get into a double battle so Smeargle could sketch it. Then off to the Safari Zone for a Haunter that knows Curse, level up Smeargle so it learns Sketch again. Repeat the double battle, only the only double battle around had Pokes too strong for my Level 20ish subjects, so I hadto keep resetting until I could put them to sleep long enough to do what I wanted to do. Then go and catch a Sassy or Careful Ditto, breed it with my Eevee until I get a female Careful or Sassy Eevee (which took forever), then breed that Eevee with the Smeargle.

After a few rotations of baby to parent I'm finally getting relatively consistently well-IV'd Eevees, so I hope it's all over soon. Umbreon's lucky he's as awesome as he is, otherwise I would have given up long ago.
Holy shit.

Pokemon is so much more involved since I last played it.

I believe Yellow was the last version of Pokemon that I bought/played... I have Soul Silver now and am just getting into it (3 Badges). Some of this stuff quite honestly does not make any sense to me. Sketching Pokemon? 'Breading Earthquakes'... My god I need to take some time to learn all of this stuff.

Side Note - I am loving every minute of Soul Silver so far... I am surprised that they are re using old spaces though? like Goldenrod City, etc.

upandaway

Devin Olsen said:
Holy shit.

Pokemon is so much more involved since I last played it.

I believe Yellow was the last version of Pokemon that I bought/played... I have Soul Silver now and am just getting into it (3 Badges). Some of this stuff quite honestly does not make any sense to me. Sketching Pokemon? 'Breading Earthquakes'... My god I need to take some time to learn all of this stuff.

Side Note - I am loving every minute of Soul Silver so far... I am surprised that they are re using old spaces though? like Goldenrod City, etc.
It's not really that complicated as far as breeding goes. The male parent passes his moves to the child (specific ones are in Bulbapedia's list). Smeargle has only one attack he can learn, Sketch, that is permanently changed to the last attack inflicted on him. So he uses a male Smeargle to pass all the moves to his eggs and that way he won't have to waste TMs.

Devin Olsen said:

Umm... SoulSilver is a remake of Silver version, which, along with Heartgold and the original Gold, is the only other game with GoldenRod.
After you finish Jhoto you DO get to go to Kanto (the world map from yellow) which was part of the original Silver as well.

If you want all new locations than you should pick up Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Devin Olsen said:

*thatsthejokepoint.jpg*

:|

Just like Fire Red/Leaf Green was a remake of R/B/G/Y, Kanto on the Gameboy Advance.

Inferno313 said:
Umm... SoulSilver is a remake of Silver version, which, along with Heartgold and the original Gold, is the only other game with GoldenRod.
After you finish Jhoto you DO get to go to Kanto (the world map from yellow) which was part of the original Silver as well.

If you want all new locations than you should pick up Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.
Oh shit... I was completely un aware of that.

I guess I have played some of Gold then, since I am recognizing cities like Goldenrod... I do not think I finished it though.

Well don't I look like an ass :lol

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

If you want to raise a Pokémon's happiness before a certain level, just make him fight, let him get hurt and escape. Then, heal him with potion (or Lemonade, better) and repeat until the happiness checker NPCs tell you it's very happy and loves you. After that, you have to keep trying, heal him a couple of times, level him up and see if it evolves. If he doesn't soft-reset and heal him more times.

That's how I evolved my Eevee into Umbreon being it level 14.

Edit: You can check here how to raise happiness

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Happiness#Generation_IV

Animatik

Neo Member
Grrr. Was doing a trade on GTS on my Diamond and an error message showed up and asked me to reset. I did and my save file got erased/corrupted. There goes my super awesome shiny Gallade =[

thefil

Just accidentely killed my first random shiny, an Onix. Ironically this happened while I was levelling my future Hypnosis/False Swipe Pokemon.

Choopy

Neo Member
Animatik said:
Grrr. Was doing a trade on GTS on my Diamond and an error message showed up and asked me to reset. I did and my save file got erased/corrupted. There goes my super awesome shiny Gallade =[

thefil said:
Just accidentely killed my first random shiny, an Onix. Ironically this happened while I was levelling my future Hypnosis/False Swipe Pokemon.

:(

btkadams

Animatik said:
:O :( that's brutal

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Animatik said:
You have our condolences =( Never even seen a shiny...

On a lighter note though, HG is really doing it for me. Started it at the weekend with my bud who got SS, and we've been plodding through reminiscing and feeling like good old times.
Got all these awesome games lined up to finish/play (Arkham Asylum, Assassin's Creed 2, Brutal Legend), not to mention all the other greats that have come out this year; yet they're all taking a backseat to pure nostalgia and simplicity.

I play and translate games at work everyday, and have recently become a bit burnt out on all the glitz and glamour of recent titles. Coming home to something like Pokemon is just what I need to wind down. Never get stressed (even at Whitney's Miltank!) and always rewarding.

Also, the Pokewalker has to be one of the greatest inventions of mankind to date. Naturally I pop something in everyday, and usually get home with a few items, sometimes a new Pokemon, and always a level up. The other day I managed to catch a Ponyta while taking a sneaky dump... this thing seriously rocks!

Oh, and I dunno about anyone else, but I'm pretty hooked on Voltorb Flip. Not sure what we're missing from the versions that have slot machines and stuff, but it's a great little way to get some extras.
I thought it was all about luck at first, but after taking some time with it, I've got it locked down. Some serious intelligent anime stereotype shit going on as I focus on the logical, measured approach to my Pokepals :lol
Surprised my mate the other day with a Dratini. He was all like "motherfucker! Where did you find her!?" Blinded that suckaduck with some Dragon Rage.

That's my rather longwinded gush over. Thanks for reading if you can be bothered - hope ya'll can relate!

I am having no luck catching Ditto. Are they only available after the National Dex? I have been running around on route 34 and 35 for hours now with no luck.

Does anybody have a Charmander they would be willing to trade? I don't have much because I just started playing. I tried with somebody here earlier and for some reason it wouldn't work.

Nayishiki

AwesomeSyrup said:
Does anybody have a Charmander they would be willing to trade? I don't have much because I just started playing. I tried with somebody here earlier and for some reason it wouldn't work.

I have one my FC is 3653 2713 6337.

AwesomeSyrup said:
My FC is 2579 5569 1214. I'll get on now.

Thanks Nayishiki. :D

No Problem!

AwesomeSyrup said:

5242 4322 9494, on now. EDIT: Beaten to the punch

Got 18 different Ditto natures now, gonna be a bitch to get the last two I need...

Though it also means I have a ton of spare Dittos, so I'll give them awayif anybody needs some.

Echoes

What's the best way to grind for Battle Points? 3BP per 7 trainers is not that good.

And I still don't know how to let my Mom buy me things. I give her lots of money, but she only called m once, like, 40 hours ago in the game. Tried going into several Poke Marts but I couldn't see any delivery man.

Delio

Echoes said:
What's the best way to grind for Battle Points? 3BP per 7 trainers is not that good.

And I still don't know how to let my Mom buy me things. I give her lots of money, but she only called m once, like, 40 hours ago in the game. Tried going into several Poke Marts but I couldn't see any delivery man.

That's odd everytime i picked up a item from the deliveryman the mom calls me almost instantly after having another item for me to get. Sure you havent missed any of her calls?

Wichu

Echoes said:

Fight the Tower Tycoon (battle 21). He gives you 20 BP. Then, lose on 22 (or end your streak some other way), and you can fight him again. You'll end up getting 26 BP for every 21 trainers.

Alternatively, find a friend and do co-op; not only is it great fun, but you get boosted Battle Points (7, I think). It's a bit slow, though.

Echoes

She once called, but I didn't go to any Mart until maybe 20 hours later in the game. And now there is no delivery man nor calls.

Edit: Thanks Wichu, just went onto my 3rd streak of battles.

Animatik

Neo Member
btkadams said:
:O :( that's brutal

Just a bit, I had just started to ev train and breed for natures on there for the GAF tournament, but oh well. I am at the elite four on silver so I should be able to start again pretty soon. Might have to do a one pokemon speed run on Diamond and learn the pokeradar chaining trick to get back my blue Gallade, I could never get more than 5 on that thing X).

jdogmoney

Metroid Killer said:
Got 18 different Ditto natures now, gonna be a bitch to get the last two I need...

Though it also means I have a ton of spare Dittos, so I'll give them awayif anybody needs some.

Which two do you need? I have a few dittos...

Wichu

Anyway, I racked up nearly 17000 steps on my Pokéwalker today. It's still going to be a while before I unlock all the courses :p
I still can't seem to get a Dratini on the Blue Lake course; I keep getting Poliwag despite having tried three times (as in, moved a Pokémon off and on to the walker 3 times) :(
My shiny Bayleef evolved into a shiny Meganium, and my Slowpoke is going to evolve into Slowbro very soon. Magmar's not evolving any time soon without a Magmarizer. Shiny Entei is still running around Johto, albeit at very low health after being Surfed 4 times by Slowpoke. My mother's sent me several useful items, including a Choice Scarf (where does she buy those things?). And finally, I am now the proud owner of an RNGed shiny Eevee from Bill. It took a few tries, but was worth it (Jolly 31/31/31/0/31/31) :D

Choopy

Neo Member
Wichu said:
Anyway, I racked up nearly 17000 steps on my Pokéwalker today. It's still going to be a while before I unlock all the courses :p
I still can't seem to get a Dratini on the Blue Lake course; I keep getting Poliwag despite having tried three times (as in, moved a Pokémon off and on to the walker 3 times) :(
My shiny Bayleef evolved into a shiny Meganium, and my Slowpoke is going to evolve into Slowbro very soon. Magmar's not evolving any time soon without a Magmarizer. Shiny Entei is still running around Johto, albeit at very low health after being Surfed 4 times by Slowpoke. My mother's sent me several useful items, including a Choice Scarf (where does she buy those things?). And finally, I am now the proud owner of an RNGed shiny Eevee from Bill. It took a few tries, but was worth it (Jolly 31/31/31/0/31/31) :D

What? I thought their health regenerated after every encounter...
Damn it! This is news to me. I guess I'll start chipping at Raikou now. :lol

Pagusas

Elden Member
anyone have a Squirtle and Tortwig they'd be willing to trade me? I have soul silver, so can catch some exclusive pokemon for you if you let me know what you want.

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAH, motherfucker! Got me an Umbreon! Or at least a Careful Eevee with IVs of 29/24-25/29/30-31/30-31/10-11. The crappy speed actually works in my favour becuase it's going to be a Cursebreon with Assurance (hits for double the damage if the Pokemon is hit first that turn). I'm a little upset about the Attack, but fuck it; I'm done. I actually got a really good potential Flareon while I was at it.

Now let's get this bitch evolved. Morning is at 6am in HGSS, right? I've got three and a half hours and I've already given it a haircut :lol

Gravijah

Wichu said:
Fight the Tower Tycoon (battle 21). He gives you 20 BP. Then, lose on 22 (or end your streak some other way), and you can fight him again. You'll end up getting 26 BP for every 21 trainers.

Alternatively, find a friend and do co-op; not only is it great fun, but you get boosted Battle Points (7, I think). It's a bit slow, though.

Can online co-op be done through Platinum and HG/SS?

Echoes

matrix-cat said:
YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAH, motherfucker! Got me an Umbreon! Or at least a Careful Eevee with IVs of 29/24-25/29/30-31/30-31/10-11. The crappy speed actually works in my favour becuase it's going to be a Cursebreon with Assurance (hits for double the damage if the Pokemon is hit first that turn). I'm a little upset about the Attack, but fuck it; I'm done. I actually got a really good potential Flareon while I was at it.

Now let's get this bitch evolved. Morning is at 6am in HGSS, right? I've got three and a half hours and I've already given it a haircut :lol
Screw haircuts and whatnot. Soothe Bell, first one in your party, and just walk down and up the road of Goldenrod + the route below it for 20-30 minutes at most. Check the happiness and it'll be maxed. Did it myself for my Lv1 Togepi.

Top Bottom