• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Ondore said:
So I went to check Amazon's price for the inevitable guide (it's a weakness, I know) and discovered that they're splitting it again, just like Diamond and Pearl.

Walkthrough book
Pokedex

This blows.
This reminds me of back in the release of original Gold/Silver, they split up the books then too. Funny, considering the Platinum Version guide from last year was a combination book.

Fake edit: Ohhh. If you look at the walkthrough image, the top of the book says 'Johto Guide and Johto Pokedex'! The other book must be the full Pokedex.

Ondore said:
So I went to check Amazon's price for the inevitable guide (it's a weakness, I know) and discovered that they're splitting it again, just like Diamond and Pearl.

Walkthrough book
Pokedex

This blows.
Why in the world would you spend money on guides? Everything is neatly placed on the internet, free of charge.

Use something like serebii.net

JSnake

Blu_LED said:
Why in the world would you spend money on guides? Everything is neatly placed on the internet, free of charge.

Use something like serebii.com

I like the pretty pictures. :)

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Has someone created a Pokedex iPhone app yet? I'm still waiting.

Chozo

Cocopjojo said:
Wow!

Wait... "not available in US Store..." wat

The problem is that it apparently uses the information off of Bulbapedia without permission, and the admins there aren't particularly happy about that fact (to the point where they apparently redesigned each page to fuck with the app program).

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Ah, sorry. Thought it was a compliant one.
I think there's a few others out there, I know of one, but it's not an App but simply something formatted for the browser on an iPhone.

Pappasman

Chozo said:
The problem is that it apparently uses the information off of Bulbapedia without permission, and the admins there aren't particularly happy about that fact (to the point where they apparently redesigned each page to fuck with the app program).

ya i use to have that app. It worked good for about a day and then it started crashing every time i selected a pokemon.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
vectorman06 said:
How did you get a metatang, elekid, and magby that early in the game?
In some of the PokeWalker courses. There's an event course which lets you get a lvl 5 Beldum with Iron Head, Zen Headbutt and Iron Defense. Sooo good. Having Magby was great for the first part which was pretty barren of any fire types.

Teknoman said:
About the Pokewalker: If you gain exp while walking, do you also get EVs? Or is it just exp in the basic sense with no EV added? Also if you run into a pokemon while using the walker, do you have to stop and catch it at that moment?
Datwheezy said:
This. Also, does it make any noise? If the thing starts beeping like crazy when I run into a pokemon, that could be a problem at work/in class :lol
No EVs, gaining a level (which you can only gain 1 per session) is like giving rare candy. You don't run into the pokemons, you can choose between two 'minigames' where you can get pokemons or items. Sound can be turned off.

Anyway wow I barely survived getting my ass kicked in Olivine Gym. Apparently I should have fought the fighting type gym first(following the badge order). Luckily my Bayleef and Quagsire were up for the battle.

Questions:
How are wifi events working concerning regions? I live in Europe have a EU DSi, and a Japanese HG. I have been able to get the Japanese wifi events, but what will happen when they come to Europe? Is the wifi locked to the cart?

What is a good way to see unobtainable pokemons so that I will have a chance to trade with them?

Anybody having a spare:
Cyndaquil
Ledyba
Ekans
Vulpix
Meowth
Bulbasaur

Please send me a pm and we'll see if I have anything worth trading for.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Metroid Killer said:
Is the wifi locked to the cart?
Probably.

Anybody having a spare:
Cyndaquil
Ledyba
Ekans
Vulpix
Meowth
Bulbasaur
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Specify any desired natures, hold items, etc. I'll be free for most of the afternoon. FC is 2750-6983-3519.

This is the more recent thread so I guess I'll post about this weirdness here:

Amazon has the games listed for $39.99 before tax and shipping or whatnot, right? I went to preorder Soul Silver at Nintendo World because, this being a Nintendo game, I'm positive that they'll have a launch event either on or the day before release. The game rang up as $34.99, and I was reassured that I'd get the preorder bonus figurine on the day the game comes out. So, what's Amazon charging 5 bucks extra for?

I'm probably making ado about nothing because Amazon does have their preorder price guarantee thing, and they'll most likely drop the price tag down to $34.99 for anybody who's got it preordered and for whatever else. Kinda weird that the price is off like that though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Re-playing my Japanese copy right now; already caught and reset for my Legendaries and traded them over to Platinum. My Extreme Speed Dragonite has some very nice IVs. 19/28/31/x/20/28 :D

Considering I'm not using RNG 'cheating' for it, I'd say it's decent.

Anyways, this casual new playthrough is going well. I'm not on a speed run per say, but I'm a few hours in and just past the Steel Gym. My team is currently Fearow, Quilava, Tauros and Flaafy, who is currently lagging behind. Slowpoke is on the team as well, but mostly to deal with random Geodudes and for Surfing. He'll quickly be replaced by Gyarados soon, but I was hoping a Lanturn would have popped up when I was Surfing around the west end.

When the game comes out in North America, I'll probably keep Cyndiaquil and Hoothoot, up until Goldenrod. From there I'll reset for a decent Dratini, and try to sole it the best I can from there. I might keep Hoothoot/Noctowl around for Fly, and for Morty's Gengar.

It's refreshing just to play through the titles, rather than my always obsessive EV training. :lol

Mew GET!
Spr_4h_151.png

Awesome this is the very first event legendary pokemon! Though I'm almost afraid to use him... I don't really care about EVs, and all the metgame suff, but at the same time I feel I need to do him justice a make him as good as possible...

Which apparently is my main problem with pokemon games. Everytime a pokemon evolves or if I catch a new cool pokemon, I want to add it to my team, slowing down my game a loooot.

My current team(all around lvl 31-34, cept for Eevee which will be Umbreon)

Spr_4h_154_m.png
Spr_4d_375.png
Spr_4h_195_f.png
Spr_4h_205.png
Spr_4h_126.png
Spr_4h_133.png

Spr_4h_125.png
Spr_4h_198_f.png
Spr_4h_017_s.png
Spr_4h_214_f.png
Spr_4h_130_f_s.png

And have 3 shinies (Pideotto, Gyrados and Tentacruel) which may not be much, but I'm pretty excited about all this rare stuff, which I never experienced in Pokemon Red.

Also is it just me are some dual types just overpowered in regards to the type strength/weakness. I mean dudes like Forretress and Quagsire may have a 4x weakness to another type, but that is also the only type they are weak against, and then they are resistant and immune to a whole lot of types. Is it just because I'm only playing the main game that they seem so powerful?

Progress: 7 badges, pokedex 109, playtime 114hours!

EzLink

Banned
Metroid Killer said:
Mew GET!
Spr_4h_151.png

Awesome this is the very first event legendary pokemon! Though I'm almost afraid to use him... I don't really care about EVs, and all the metgame suff, but at the same time I feel I need to do him justice a make him as good as possible...

Which apparently is my main problem with pokemon games. Everytime a pokemon evolves or if I catch a new cool pokemon, I want to add it to my team, slowing down my game a loooot.

Spr_4h_154_m.png
Spr_4d_375.png
Spr_4h_195_f.png
Spr_4h_205.png
Spr_4h_126.png
Spr_4h_133.png

Spr_4h_125.png
Spr_4h_198_f.png
Spr_4h_017_s.png
Spr_4h_214_f.png
Spr_4h_130_f_s.png

And have 3 shinies (Pideotto, Gyrados and Tentacruel) which may not be much, but I'm pretty excited about all this rare stuff, which I never experienced in Pokemon Red.

Also is it just me are some dual types just overpowered in regards to the type strength/weakness. I mean dudes like Forretress and Quagsire may have a 4x weakness to another type, but that is also the only type they are weak against, and then they are resistant and immune to a whole lot of types. Is it just because I'm only playing the main game that they seem so powerful?

Holy shit. In 114 hours you haven't even gotten all 8 badges, and your dex is only at 109? You are taking your sweet time XD

Awesome though, good idea to savor the experience. Can't fucking wait until March 14th. Still feels so far away :/

Sixfortyfive

Metroid Killer said:
If you've already picked him up from the Pokemart (and have thus set his Nature in stone aleady), then "as good as possible" may not be good enough!

*soft-resets 10 times for a Timid Shaymin w/ 22+ speed, only to be tossed in the PC box and never used*

Sixfortyfive

Teknoman said:
Starting to get into GAF battle mode mindset again :lol
I'm game for one of those right now.

There are no less than 3 active Pokemon threads on this board at the moment. I figure one of you guys ought to be willing.

Sixfortyfive

Balb said:
I'd be down for an organized Pokemon tournament if anyone is willing to create one.
I'm planning on making a thread for something like that a week or a month or so after HGSS is released stateside. I figure that would be the time when interest would be highest.

I'm game for a match or two right now though.

Teknoman

I'd up for a few matches pre HG/SS, but I want to get to a certain point in platinum before moving my diamond battle ready/in training pokemon over.

Metroid Killer said:
Mew GET!
Spr_4h_151.png

Spr_4h_154_m.png
Spr_4d_375.png
Spr_4h_195_f.png
Spr_4h_205.png
Spr_4h_126.png
Spr_4h_133.png

Spr_4h_125.png
Spr_4h_198_f.png
Spr_4h_017_s.png
Spr_4h_214_f.png
Spr_4h_130_f_s.png

I'm not exactly up on how all these games work, I mean I play them all, catch a ton of Pokemon, and spend too much time playing them. But how do you get Pokemon like Mew? The only way I've ever had a Pokemon like that is when I was 13 and stole my friends copy of Red.

Sixfortyfive

AwesomeSyrup said:
I'm not exactly up on how all these games work, I mean I play them all, catch a ton of Pokemon, and spend too much time playing them. But how do you get Pokemon like Mew? The only way I've ever had a Pokemon like that is when I was 13 and stole my friends copy of Red.
There's a Mew wi-fi giveaway going on in Japan right now, I think.

Blu_LED said:

Use something like serebii.net

Anybody here had the versus book guide for gold and silver?

It was amazing.

It had, for every single area, the % chance of getting every pokemon....by time of day!

I still have the guide. <3

Teknoman

Sixfortyfive said:
There's a Mew wi-fi giveaway going on in Japan right now, I think.

Exactly.

Keep up on all that stuff on serebii.net. There were quite a few for platinum already via wi-fi mystery gift.

EDIT: All the HG/SS sprites seem better than anything so far this gen.

Actually...should I even bother moving my diamond stuff over to platinum now, when I know i'll still have to transfer everything (extra tms and stones too) to Soul Silver?

Teknoman said:
Exactly.

Keep up on all that stuff on serebii.net. There were quite a few for platinum already via wi-fi mystery gift.

EDIT: All the HG/SS sprites seem better than anything so far this gen.

Actually...should I even bother moving my diamond stuff over to platinum now, when I know i'll still have to transfer everything (extra tms and stones too) to Soul Silver?
I can't even imagine to strain it must be to "transfer" your Pokemon over. My best Pokemon are still sitting in my Diamond game, because it's just too much of a hassle to get them to to Platinum.

Is there an easier way other then catching a SHITLOAD and Bidoofs in Platinum, and trading each and every one?

Teknoman

Blu_LED said:
I can't even imagine to strain it must be to "transfer" your Pokemon over. My best Pokemon are still sitting in my Diamond game, because it's just too much of a hassle to get them to to Platinum.

Is there an easier way other then catching a SHITLOAD and Bidoofs in Platinum, and trading each and every one?

Probably not...but then again, in Diamond, I only have like...2 battle boxes, 1 in train box, and 1 ev reduce box.

...hmm guess that is alot. The cool thing is, if you run into a better version of that Pokemon (better natures, etc.) then you dont have to worry about it.

Sixfortyfive said:
There are no less than 3 active Pokemon threads on this board at the moment.
Yeah it seems gaf is pretty much caught up in the pokemon craze at the moment, but I guess this is a very exciting time to be a pokemon fan, up-coming remakes and new gen speculation.

One can hope that for the next games they'll release some kind of transfer system which can be utilized through DSi ware or something, to connect two of your games.

MiriamV

Neo Member
Ondore said:

Walkthrough book
Pokedex

This blows.

Aww man this blows :( I just ordered the Pokedex from amazon for my daughter's birthday, knowing she likes playing with a walkthrough, never realising it was just a pokedex :( I thought it was a walkthrough as well. What a horrible way of screwing people out of their money.. besides two games (one for me, one for her) I'm going to have to buy two books...

I normally don't buy official guides, but it's very convinient for DS games, and my daughter reads her pokemon magazines until they fall apart so I knew she'd love this. :(

New question! :D

I'm very hesitant on using TM. Back in the Red days, I used the glitch cheat to multiply any TMs that I would use. Now though, I don't want to waste a cool TM fire move on a pokemon only to find a much cooler fire pokemon later which I would rather have had the move for.

How rare are the different TMs? It's quite difficult to find out on bulbapedia/serebii. There are so many different place you can get them from, some limited, some unlimited. Then there's breeding as well. But could any one name the most rarest TMs?

Surgeon Rocket said:
Ah, sorry. Thought it was a compliant one.
I think there's a few others out there, I know of one, but it's not an App but simply something formatted for the browser on an iPhone.
Link?

EDIT: If it's better than room34, anyway.

Sixfortyfive

Metroid Killer said:
How rare are the different TMs? It's quite difficult to find out on bulbapedia/serebii. There are so many different place you can get them from, some limited, some unlimited. Then there's breeding as well. But could any one name the most rarest TMs?
I can't say for sure, but TM26 (Earthquake) is usually something you want to hold onto for later. Haven't checked any HGSS lists so I don't know what's common and what isn't in that one. They usually change them around at least a little bit so that a few TMs uncommon in one set of games (DPPt) are common in the other. Check some item guides on Gamefaqs and CTRL+F the TM you're thinking of using to see if you can just buy it somewhere later.

I usually make sure that my primary Pokemon fighters are male so that they can pass down egg/TM moves via breeding if the need arises. Smeargle is also very handy for copying and passing down moves.

Gravijah

Since this is one of the only activate Pokemon threads...

I'm looking into getting into hunting for shinys. Last time I tried, I couldn't get my secret ID or whatever the hell it was because I didn't have WiFi, nor someone to get it for me. Can anyone around here do that?

upandaway

Sixfortyfive said:
I can't say for sure, but TM26 (Earthquake) is usually something you want to hold onto for later. Haven't checked any HGSS lists so I don't know what's common and what isn't in that one. They usually change them around at least a little bit so that a few TMs uncommon in one set of games (DPPt) are common in the other. Check some item guides on Gamefaqs and CTRL+F the TM you're thinking of using to see if you can just buy it somewhere later.

I usually make sure that my primary Pokemon fighters are male so that they can pass down egg/TM moves via breeding if the need arises. Smeargle is also very handy for copying and passing down moves.
There are things difficult for him to learn though. Grass Knot and Thief in particular are TMs I'll miss.

Edit: Oh damn, I read that tidbit on him from the link. That's smart.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is there a list of places for the Pichu event participants? Or am I going to have to go to the Gamestops blindly and hope they are doing it?

Sorry if it's been asked before, but is HG/SS similar to D/D/P in that only some pokemon are accessible before you beat the Elite Four or get the National Dex? And if so, is there a list somewhere? I'd like to know which pokemon I should start breeding so I can transfer them over to have on hand. :D

Magni

Ondore said:

Walkthrough book
Pokedex

This blows.

April 20th for the Pokédex? I have the D/P one, but in French. I called it the Bible :lol

If you buy the paper version, do you get a code for the eGuide as well? I'm probably gonna buy it again because I hate the French names (probably why I never finished Diamond but am hooked on Platinum which I imported), but sure as heck won't double dip for the e-version..

Gravijah

Blu_LED said:
I'm gonna go tomorrow. I hope I can just pull my car up in front of Gamestop, and pick of the signal.

I'm sorry but sitting in your car and creepily playing Pokemon < Manning up and going inside for Pokemon. :lol

survivor

Banned
So is this event gonna happen in Canada? I might go to EB Games and casually preorder Soul Silver then try to ask them about the Pichu event.

Top Bottom