• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Made it to lv 5 on voltorb flip, and built up over 1k coins.

the part that made me pull my hair is that I lost because I accidentally pressed a tile without paying attention and got sent back to lv 1.

There really is a method to it, and it does pay off fast when you understand it. I just wish everything wasn't so god damn expensive.

jdogmoney

Is there a good place to level up my level 32 Dragonair? I taught it Iron Tail and went to the ice cave to kill things, but Swinub keeps using endure, and I hate it forever.

[Not past the Kimono Girls yet, because I got all distracted and stuff.]

EDIT: I didn't know I could learn Aqua Tail right after I posted this. That will make things easier.

Also, I'm purely single player, so IVs and EVs and math are beyond my scope.

Poyunch

I decided to cave in and transfer my shiny Machoke with a leaf stone (I always complete the main story before doing any serious trading) since I wanted a leaf stone so badly and the bug contest/Pokeathlon didn't give me a leaf stone. Now I finally have a Machamp that's shiny, a leaf stone to evolve my Weepinbell (now I can go fight the E4), and surprisingly Pokerus (didn't remember that I originally infected him).

FootNinja said:
Made it to lv 5 on voltorb flip, and built up over 1k coins.

the part that made me pull my hair is that I lost because I accidentally pressed a tile without paying attention and got sent back to lv 1.

There really is a method to it, and it does pay off fast when you understand it. I just wish everything wasn't so god damn expensive.
Yeah I reach it all the time. I don't understand why people find this game so difficult. I pretty much prefer it over the slots and if I had to pay money to play the game I'd gladly do it since it's so easy to get a return.

I've never tried breeding before, but if I leave a Ditto and Eevee in the Daycare after I got one egg do I keep getting eggs for as long as I leave them in there?

jdogmoney

Jet Grind Radio! said:
I've never tried breeding before, but if I leave a Ditto and Eevee in the Daycare after I got one egg do I keep getting eggs for as long as I leave them in there?

Yessir. I just got my fifth Wobbuffet egg and counting.

jdogmoney said:
Yessir. I just got my fifth Wobbuffet egg and counting.
Well, then. I'm just going to leave them in and make as many Eevees as there are evolutions.

TAKE THAT POKÉMON THAT THE GAME ONLY GIVES YOU ONE OF BUT ARE SEVERAL DIFFERENT EVOLUTIONS OF!

Anyone have a quick and simple way to build a catcher Smeargle? I'd like to get Spore, False Swipe and Mean Look on it, so where can I find those moves in the wild? And what would be the ideal last move? I know there's something indispensable, but it's not coming to me. Thunder Wave?

Magni

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Well, then. I'm just going to leave them in and make as many Eevees as there are evolutions.

TAKE THAT POKÉMON THAT THE GAME ONLY GIVES YOU ONE OF BUT ARE SEVERAL DIFFERENT EVOLUTIONS OF!

The HG/SS Daycare is in Goldenrod IIRC, no? I haven't really started SS yet, still finishing a bit Platinum before going all in. I know thoses routes North and South of Solaceon Town by heart like all the other Gen IV breeder I'm sure :lol

Is the music better on the HG/SS breeding road?

upandaway

zunor9.jpg

MagniHarvald said:
The HG/SS Daycare is in Goldenrod IIRC, no? I haven't really started SS yet, still finishing a bit Platinum before going all in. I know thoses routes North and South of Solaceon Town by heart like all the other Gen IV breeder I'm sure :lol

Is the music better on the HG/SS breeding road?
Just south of it.

upandaway

HappyBivouac said:
Anyone have a quick and simple way to build a catcher Smeargle? I'd like to get Spore, False Swipe and Mean Look on it, so where can I find those moves in the wild? And what would be the ideal last move? I know there's something indispensable, but it's not coming to me. Thunder Wave?
Paras, Goldenrod Shopping Center (I.. I think. Veilstone Center had False Swipe at least), Zubat.

Last move really depends on who you're going after. Insomnia -> Thunder Wave, ghost type -> Foresight, Arceus -> Double Team etc etc.

Magni

upandaway said:
http://i44.tinypic.com/zunor9.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
:lol :lol :lol

I usually pick up my eggs one by one so that I can save right before they hatch and can soft-reboot after RC-IV checking 'em. Having many eggs at a time fucks with the counter, I'm too lazy to have checked what the counters are like with 2/3/4 eggs :lol

No step counter in HG/SS, right? sadface

upandaway

In Gen 5 I want each dual-type Pokemon to have two attacking stats.

One for each type.

It will solve everything. Think about all those Pokemon who suck because one of their types is mostly physical while the other is mostly special.

As far as defense, HP and speed go, they should be universal for the Pokemon, but the attack thing needs to change. Even more than in Gen 4.

Gravijah

upandaway said:
In Gen 5 I want each dual-type Pokemon to have two attacking stats.

One for each type.

It will solve everything. Think about all those Pokemon who suck because one of their types is mostly physical while the other is mostly special.

As far as defense, HP and speed go, they should be universal for the Pokemon, but the attack thing needs to change. Even more than in Gen 4.

Why not just add more moves to even things out?

I've been on hiatus for a few days since I can't find my Platinum. Been playing Darksiders :lol Gonna jump back in soon and start collecting Pokemon and getting my levels up to fight
red

Gravijah

upandaway said:
But I don't want more moves...

I do. :D

Each type should have a move of 95ish power/100 accuracy for both special and regular attack, and lower power move with a chance of a status effect.

Eteric Rice

FUCKING CHANSEY WON'T STAY IN BALL. CHANSEY MAKE MAD.

I try to catch one in Safari Zone, WON'T STAY IN BALL.

Try to catch one on one of the routes, CAN'T FIND A WILD ONE.

RARRGHRGHAGHGH

Mr. Sam

Eteric Rice said:

RARRGHRGHAGHGH
I have a Chansey on my Diamond cartridge. Must be easier to catch on them. I honestly can't remember.

Is trading Pokemon from another game to bolster your team considered cheating? I've never done it before.

Butane123

Eteric Rice said:

RARRGHRGHAGHGH
Heh, even with the swarm in the wild, I still could only find 2 Chansey. When I did, they were still a pain to catch even at 1hp and paralyzed.

notsol337

marked forever
Dogenzaka said:
It's late at night, so this what I thought you said, and I consequently laughed quite loudly in the middle of the night.

That combined with the fact that [as] is showing "The Room" as an april fools day joke are also giving me tits.

mandiller

Just caught Lugia after using tons of Ultra balls, dusk balls and many many resets. He was very hard to catch for me. I had him down to nearly 0 hp and paralyzed yet it still took me several soft resets and about 40 minutes to catch him. Felt good once it was over though.

Anyone else think Lugia looks so out of place following behind your character? He's so huge, I can't take any of the people I talk to in the game seriously. I keep expecting them to burst out saying "wtf is that behind you!"

*edit* BTW, Yellow Forest route is up on Mystery Gift now so go download it. Going to catch me some flying Pikachus.

notsol337

marked forever
mandiller said:
Just caught Lugia after using tons of Ultra balls, dusk balls and many many resets. He was very hard to catch for me. I had him down to nearly 0 hp and paralyzed yet it still took me several soft resets and about 40 minutes to catch him. Felt good once it was over though.

Anyone else think Lugia looks so out of place following behind your character? He's so huge, I can't take any of the people I talk to in the game seriously. I keep expecting them to burst out saying "wtf is that behind you!"

*edit* BTW, Yellow Forest route is up on Mystery Gift now so go download it. Going to catch me some flying Pikachus.

I caught Lugia at half health while burned with a heavy ball my first try! I think it's the Pokegods apologizing for me using up 30 fast/quick balls now on raikou and still not having him.

cdyhybrid

Anyone have a Jirachi I can borrow to unlock the Pokewalker course? Is it unlocked as soon as Jirachi's on my game?

Edit: Going to bed, I'll try again some other time.

Delio

NinjaBoyLao said:
Yellow forest is available on WiFi now. It is our only way to get a surfing and flying Pika :D

Not the only way for Surfing pika :O *Pokes Battle Revolution Surfing Pikachu.*

Wiseblade

Quick double check because I'm lazy: IV are determined when you pick up an egg and the nature is determined when it hatches, right?

Wiseblade said:
Quick double check because I'm lazy: IV are determined when you pick up an egg and the nature is determined when it hatches, right?
IIRC Nature, Ability and Gender are set when the pokemanz produced an egg. And IV are set when you recieve the egg. That's how it works in Diamond so I guess, it's the same in HGSS.

Mafro

viciouskillersquirrel said:
The game that gets top billing (i.e. the first mentioned) always gets the most attention and the most sales. Thus:

Red outsold Blue
Gold outsold Silver
Ruby outsold Sapphire
Diamond outsold Pearl
Heart Gold will probably outsell Soul Silver (SS being sold at a $1 discount at Amazon.com says yes)

It's light-hearted ribbing at this phenomenon.

SoulSilver outsold HeartGold in the UK, and possibly in Europe as awell.

KingDirk

First shiny ever, and it's an extremely tacky Geodude.:lol Now I have to decide if I want to level her up when I've already one several levels above...

beje

Banned
Ugggh I couldn't go wifi until today and missed the shiny pikachu event ;___;

Can somebody clone one for me and send it or something like that? ;_;

4597-8483-7553 (Pearl version)

Fitz

LiQuid! said:
The Safari Zone in HG/SS is absurd in general. I like that it's there as an option to get rare pokemon and alleviate reliance on the gen 3 games, but I don't want to have to rely on it to get pokemon that I actually want to use in my party. Especially with having a 440+ pokedex on Pearl. Why don't you just trade over a riolu from D/P/Pl? I'm pretty sure I've got a spare riolu or lucario laying around or could breed you one if you want.

Zod the Bear said:
I can breed you one if you don't mind waiting a few days (in the process of transferring my breeding stuff over from Diamond to Heart Gold. Not sure what's where at this point.)

Thanks for the offers, I managed to trade with someone since posting that last night, although it looks like I'm going to be going to the Safari Zone for more than a few Pokemon, so I'll probably be here with requests in no time. :lol

Kletian

OK guys, I finally gotta ask, where are you getting the awesome Pokemon Avatars with the parchment paper, kanji, and japanese-esqe illustrations.

Right, if anyone has a Bulbasaur, Squirtle or Pichu(volt tackle) up for trades ring me up with your wanted list :D

Also, for the GAF collective friend code list, mine is 3825 0980 6561

EDIT: Im on Soul Silver.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Is anyone around to help me transfer a party of 6 from Plat to HG?

Also, can you not cheat the clock for certain daily events anymore? I'm trying to get Daisy to massage my Pokemon enough so that I can get Gary's phone number from her, but it's not working. I talk to her and she acts like she's already done her massage for the day.

Echoes said:
What's the best way to grind for Battle Points? 3BP per 7 trainers is not that good.
The BP reward increases every few streaks. After a while, you get 7 BP per streak. The brains give 20 BP for each encounter (3rd and 7th streak).

Gravijah said:
Can online co-op be done through Platinum and HG/SS?
I think so. The Frontier is the same in both games, so it would make sense.

jman2050 said:
I'm pretty sure it's been proven that the AI literally rigs the battles against you as your streak improves. So it's not just sour grapes from people, the battle tower really is an asshole!
Nah. People have broken 2300+ winning streaks on the Tower. It's manageable. The trainers do get gradually tougher up until you get to the 50-win mark though.

HappyBivouac said:
This one's easy. Put Smeargle first in your party and a Pokemon with the move you want to copy in the 2nd position. Use the Vs Seeker on a pair of double battle trainers, then have Smeargle sketch his partner.

Oh wait no Vs Seeker in HGSS lolz. You can still probably manage this with one of the daily trainer rematches though.

ps: Ingrain should be the 4th move. It will prevent Entei/Raikou from using Roar.

Top Bottom