• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Wichu

upandaway said:
Man you guys are having some real trouble finding surf/flying Pikachus.

Say I'll try going for one later, is it beyond reach to get a Pikachu that knows both Surf and Fly? And preferably Volt Tackle too. For OCD calming purposes.
You can only get one special move per Pikachu (Surf/Fly/Flail/Volt Tackle). THe PBR one has both Surf and Volt Tackle, though.

Also, I'm just battling a Young Couple who use an Onix and a Cloyster. Am I reading too much into this? :lol

Nayishiki said:
After how many tries did you get one?It took me 24 Pikachus to get the surfing one, and I got the flying one in a trade.
A lot lol. I spend around 2 hours in the gym with my pokewalker XD and manage to get a thousand watts. I usually kill one exclamation point Pika, and only catch those with 2 marks(I never saw 3 marks ever!). I got the Flying Pika just now though(and only on the 2nd try<_<)

And luckily the Surf Pika came with a decent nature(naive), I can run mix attacker or pure special with this one.

Axis

trying to catch a chansey on routes 13-15 is absolutely ridiculous

i haven't run into one in TWO fucking hours

Axis said:
trying to catch a chansey on routes 13-15 is absolutely ridiculous

i haven't run into one in TWO fucking hours

Get a level 25 pokemon and use it as your lead pokemon. Use Repel, and you'll encounter nothing but Pidgeotto(or Noctowl at night) and Chansey.

Axis

NinjaBoyLao said:
Get a level 25 pokemon and use it as your lead pokemon. Use Repel, and you'll encounter nothing but Pidgeotto(or Noctowl at night) and Chansey.

skiploom, quagsire as well on 13 and 14...i used max repels the entire time lol

Axis said:
skiploom, quagsire as well on 13 and 14...i used max repels the entire time lol

<_< Forgot to say that it only works in Route 15. Route 13-14 has level 26 Skiploom and Quagsire, so definitely the repel trick wont work there.

Route 15 on the other hand only had Pidgeotto and chansey as the highest level Pokemon at lvl 25.

Salaadin

Wichu said:
Also, I'm just battling a Young Couple who use an Onix and a Cloyster. Am I reading too much into this? :lol

Thats awesome. :lol

I think I fought them too but never made the connection :lol

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
SalsaShark said:
Yeah, i was like that till she got me the Moonstone.
I get so many Moonstones from the Night Sky's Edge route in the Pokewalker that I pretty much just throw them away now in favor of the stuff that will get me more money. I'm going to walk into the Elite 4 with about a billion healing items. :lol

Echoes

Monroeski said:
I get so many Moonstones from the Night Sky's Edge route in the Pokewalker that I pretty much just throw them away now in favor of the stuff that will get me more money. I'm going to walk into the Elite 4 with about a billion healing items. :lol
Have you got the Psychic TM?

I am SO bored trying to get one. IT MUST BE A LIE HMPH!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
It seems that the captain of the SS Aqua gives you a plate for Arceus on each trip. I've received a Flame Plate and a Splash Plate the last two times I've talked to him.

Anyone up for a battle in a little bit?

EDIT: Seems that Monica's siblings start handing out the daily ribbons once you find all of them and get all of the power-boosting hold items from them.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Echoes said:
Have you got the Psychic TM?

I am SO bored trying to get one. IT MUST BE A LIE HMPH!
I got one. I think I picked one up in the main game somewhere, so I have two sitting in my pack right now.

Wichu

Eteric Rice said:
Do the surfing/flying Pikachus have special sprites? Or do they just look like normal Pikachus?
They look normal. However, on Pokémon Battle Revolution, they have special animations when using those moves: Surf has it get on a surfboard, and I believe Fly gives it balloons tied around its waist (I haven't seen the second one myself, but Pokémon Yellow's intro, the Flying Pikachu card, and Yellow Forest art all depict it with them; it's logical that PBR also shows this).

mandiller

Wichu said:

Yeah, I noticed that too, It was laughing my arse off when I found them. It must have been done on purpose by the developers, I wonder how they got away with it.

joelseph

Bong or Guitar, you decide. =)

Ukulele.png

El Sloth

Banned
joelseph said:
Bong or Guitar, you decide. =)

Ukulele.png

Holy shit I would've bet money it was a bong 'till this post.:lol

I never noticed the Onix/Cloyster thing either with that particular young couple. I wonder what other similar things the developers managed to sneak in?

vid

I'm pretty sure this is nothing, but I'll throw it out there in case I'm just overlooking something...

When in battle, random Pokeballs in your "remaining team" line-up tend to rock and shake around, but as far as I can tell it doesn't correspond to anything in particular. Is there anything to this, or is it just there to be a bit of extra movement on screen?

beje

Banned
vid said:
I'm pretty sure this is nothing, but I'll throw it out there in case I'm just overlooking something...

When in battle, random Pokeballs in your "remaining team" line-up tend to rock and shake around, but as far as I can tell it doesn't correspond to anything in particular. Is there anything to this, or is it just there to be a bit of extra movement on screen?

That means that pokémon is about to level up.

El Sloth

Banned
womp said:
Anyone have an extra Jirachi handy or that I could borrow and trade back? I want to unlock the Pokewalker course. :D I'm not an expert at this though so have patience. heh.

Thanks.

I would be willing to help if you help me out. I have both Platinum and Soul Silver but no extra DS to trade over the Jirachi and notch-eared Pichu

Plat Friend Code: 4039 6240 6689
SS FC: 4898 8292 1209

So I trade them to you, you do your business and then back to me in SS. Damn friend codes confusing everything:lol PM me when you're ready.

Also I just put a Ekans up for trade on GTS for a Bulbasaur as a joke and got one from Japan at level 5 that knows Sludge Bomb and Giga Drain. I am still dumbfounded.

El Sloth said:
Also I just put a Ekans up for trade on GTS for a Bulbasaur as a joke and got one from Japan at level 5 that knows Sludge Bomb and Giga Drain. I am still dumbfounded.
A lot of Japanese fans are quite eager to get a complete English Pokedex.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Would anyone happen to have a spare Tbolt tm? Really sucks that I built up 2k coins in voltorb flip and had to spend it all on substitute. 10k? seems impossible.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
FootNinja said:
Would anyone happen to have a spare Tbolt tm? Really sucks that I built up 2k coins in voltorb flip and had to spend it all on substitute. 10k? seems impossible.
Kind of sucks that they took out the ability to just buy coins with money in this game when some of the Pokewalker courses make it so easy to rack up a TON of it.

Wichu said:
You can only get one special move per Pikachu (Surf/Fly/Flail/Volt Tackle). THe PBR one has both Surf and Volt Tackle, though.

I keep hearing PBR is bad, but how bad is it? I'm kinda tempted to get it.

Wichu

On the higher levels, it's possible to make several hundred coins per game. Frustrating, but gets easier with experience.
I'm programming a standalone Voltorb Flip game in C++, to get used to Qt. Once I finish it, it should be fun to practise on. I'm planning on adding several more features as well (the actual mechanics will be the same, though); for example, changing the number of Voltorbs/points per stage, and perhaps the size of the playing board itself (10x10 Voltorb Flip?).

EDIT: The main reason to buy PBR is for the random Wi-Fi battles. Unlike the N64 and GameCube games, there aren't any minigames or an adventure mode; the whole game is battling.

beje

Banned
Wichu said:
The main reason to buy PBR is for the random Wi-Fi battles. Unlike the N64 and GameCube games, there aren't any minigames or an adventure mode; the whole game is battling.

The bad part is that those battles are botched due to 95% percent people being rat kids using nothing more than hacked pokemon and legendaries. Not worth the money IMO, maybe if you find it preowned at 10 bucks or less...

Wichu

beje said:
The bad part is that those battles are botched due to 95% percent people being rat kids using nothing more than hacked pokemon and legendaries.
It depends what time you go on. When I went on it, it was usually around 10AM to 5PM GMT, and most of the times I tried, I went against more skilled Japanese players. The double battle mode should be more interesting, as people will be practising for the Video Game Championships.

Sixfortyfive

PBR is worth it if:

- you really like competitive battling.
- you have a DS game with already-trained Pokemon on it.
- you enjoy the Battle Frontier and would like more of the same.
- fighting random wi-fi players who use nothing but overpowered legendaries sounds like fun.

beje said:
The bad part is that those battles are botched due to 95% percent people being rat kids using nothing more than hacked pokemon and legendaries. Not worth the money IMO, maybe if you find it preowned at 10 bucks or less...
These guys are often the worst players though. Not too hard to beat.

I enjoyed staying up late one night playing PBR, watching the difficulty gradually increase from American noobs who were using the default teams to Japanese players practicing with their VGC teams.

Fitz

Sixfortyfive said:
I enjoyed staying up late one night playing PBR, watching the difficulty gradually increase from American noobs who were using the default teams to Japanese players practicing with their VGC teams.

What kind of Pokemon were these Japanese players using? I'm curious if they were using standard "over used" Pokemon, or random things like Weedle and Rattata.

Wichu

cosmicblizzard said:
I'm sure it's been talked about in here but is there any trick to that coin game in Goldenrod? I haven't gotten past level 2.
There are several guides on the internet; try those.

A year ago, I made a team entirely of NFE Pokémon (Swinub, Riolu, Pikachu, Eevee, Ralts, and Clamperl) for the sole purpose of teaching noobs on PBR who's boss. I wish I could see their faces when Pikachu OHKOes things like Groudon, or Ralts successfully pulls of a Destiny Bond. Surprisingly, I often beat better teams as well. Once, I almost soloed an OU Sandstorm team with Swinub; I can post what happened if anyone's interested :p

EDIT: Well, judging by the standard of VGC teams, you'd have mostly weather teams (e.g. Abomasnow/Mewtwo, or Kyogre/Ludicolo). In singles, I come across a lot of UU teams, with Pokémon like Ambipom or Ninetales.

Sixfortyfive

Colkate said:
What kind of Pokemon were these Japanese players using? I'm curious if they were using standard "over used" Pokemon, or random things like Weedle and Rattata.
There doesn't seem to be any one Japanese Pokemon community as centralized and influential as Smogon is for the English community. There are a handful of smaller forums and such with their own rules and tiering, but the most common teams you'd see on random wi-fi battles would be those following Nintendo's current VGC rules.

Weather teams are really popular this year, mostly due to Kyogre and Groudon's inclusion.

beje

Banned
Oh well, the main reason I don't like competitive battling (and therefor PBR) is that I like battling all kind of Pokémon, not the usual overused team consisting of Garchomp, Blissey and Gyarados again and again and again and...

Also that IV training is a supreme waste of time

Sixfortyfive

Garchomp has been banned from standard play for years at this point.
Blissey is nothing but set-up bait for properly constructed teams. I love smashing that pink blob's face in more than almost any other Pokemon.
There is no such thing as "IV training."
You could just play a UU game (which Shoddy Battle has its own ladder for) if you don't want to see OU Pokemon.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
What is a good/the best Pokemon to raise as a catcher (ie with False Swipe, sleep move, paralyze move, etc.). I always used a Weavile/Gengar combo in Pearl though I know it was very inefficient. I'm getting to the point of the game where I'm ready to go Legendary hunting.

Also, when people talk about the Legendaries respawning after the E4, they mean only if you knocked them out the first time, right? You can't catch two of a given legendary?

Sixfortyfive

Monroeski said:
What is a good/the best Pokemon to raise as a catcher (ie with False Swipe, sleep move, paralyze move, etc.). I always used a Weavile/Gengar combo in Pearl though I know it was very inefficient. I'm getting to the point of the game where I'm ready to go Legendary hunting.
This is what I use, and I have the capability to clone and trade more:

Smeargle
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Jolly
EVs: max Speed, balanced defenses
- Mean Look
- Ingrain
- Double Team
- Baton Pass

Breloom
Item: Toxic Orb (activates Poison Heal and prevents opponent from using status moves on you)
Nature: Adamant
EVs: max Atk + Speed
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb
- False Swipe
- Spore

Bring Smeargle and Breloom when you're after a roamer. Bring only Breloom when you're after a stationary legend. Level up Smeargle until it matches the level of the roamer that you're searching for. Use repels to keep wild Pokemon of lower levels from appearing. (Smeargle must be faster than the roamer in order to use Mean Look. You may have to level him up some more to catch a particularly fast Latios/Latias/Raikou/Entei in HGSS or Zapdos in Platinum, in which case you'd have to not use Repels. Breloom's level can be as high as you want to take it as long as you have the badges for it.)

Lead with Smeargle:
- Mean Look to keep it from running.
- Ingrain to keep it from Roaring you.
- Double Team six times to max out evasion. (optional)
- Baton Pass to transfer all of these attributes to Breloom.

Switch to Breloom:
- Swords Dance three times to max out attack. (optional, but useful against those w/ recovery moves)
- Seed Bomb is just filler.
- False Swipe to knock it down to 1 HP.
- Spore to put it to sleep.
- Start chucking Pokeballs, and reuse False Swipe and Spore when needed.

You could technically combine both movesets onto a single Smeargle with MeanLook/Ingrain/FalseSwipe/Spore and use Technician for a power boost, but I don't bother with this because Smeargle is extremely weak as an attacker and False Swipe won't be doing much damage, doubly so for any legendary with a recovery move.

Also, when people talk about the Legendaries respawning after the E4, they mean only if you knocked them out the first time, right? You can't catch two of a given legendary?
That's right.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I finally found a double exclamation mark Pikachu on the Pokewalker after about 2 hours. Hit it once and made a critical hit. Evaded, and on the rebound attack, another critical hit :(

Aurora

645 you pokégeek <3

I forgot how much I love Pokémon. I'm on a tropical holiday and still managed to get 7 hours played in one day...

Aurora said:
645 you pokégeek <3

I forgot how much I love Pokémon. I'm on a tropical holiday and still managed to get 7 hours played in one day...
Me too, HG is becoming one of the best modern gaming experiences for me, just as Red was back in the days. I probably wouldn't be eating it this raw had I been playing all the games inbetween, but wow it seems really difficult not to love these games.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Metroid Killer said:
A lot of Japanese fans are quite eager to get a complete English Pokedex.
I find that the japanese tend to make the most unreasonable trade requests on the GTS :lol

canada and the US tend to be the most reasonable.

Magni

I hatch two 31 Spe Abras, one with 4 in SpA, and the other with 7. Then I hatch a 31 SpA Abra, but with 6 in Spe. FML.

edit: And a second straight 31/6 (SpA/Spe) Abra! =(

Top Bottom