• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

I think the amount of reasonable requests that I've encountered on GTS can be counted on one hand :lol

I find it to be easiest to deposit a good/semi-good pokemon that I don't need and it'll max take a day to get my wanted pokemon, never the other way around.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Metroid Killer said:
I think the amount of reasonable requests that I've encountered on GTS can be counted on one hand :lol

I find it to be easiest to deposit a good/semi-good pokemon that I don't need and it'll max take a day to get my wanted pokemon, never the other way around.
oh yeah, what gets me is all the people asking for shit like level 100 growlithes for their level 12 vulpix. What the fuck, you want the other version's fire exclusive, just ask for one, I'm not raising a growlithe to level 100 for you, you dick. :lol

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
GaimeGuy said:
oh yeah, what gets me is all the people asking for shit like level 100 growlithes for their level 12 vulpix. What the fuck, you want the other version's fire exclusive, just ask for one, I'm not raising a growlithe to level 100 for you, you dick. :lol
Never having actually done it myself (and thus not knowing the exact process to do it), I always figured lvl 100s would be more common than, say, lvl 60-99 because of hackers, like maybe the code to get enough exp after one battle to hit lvl 100 was widely known whereas it would take more effort to hit somewhere in between.

El Sloth

Banned
Metroid Killer said:

You were not kidding about that eagerness thing! Just got a Japanese level 1 Charmander for a Meowth. :lol I'm going for the whole set guys! Let's see if a level 3 togepi is good enough for Squirtle!

mjc

Is there a decent place to level up my pokemon for the elite four? I can barely scrape through to Lance but most of my guys are KO'd before I even get to him.

I don't want to spend 3 hours getting two or three levels on my mid-30 level pokemon..

Firestorm

Sixfortyfive said:
PBR is worth it if:

- you really like competitive battling.
- you have a DS game with already-trained Pokemon on it.
- you enjoy the Battle Frontier and would like more of the same.
- fighting random wi-fi players who use nothing but overpowered legendaries sounds like fun.
Still not worth it. Fucking TERRIBLE game that I thankfully traded in while it still had a high value.

mjc said:
Is there a decent place to level up my pokemon for the elite four? I can barely scrape through to Lance but most of my guys are KO'd before I even get to him.

I don't want to spend 3 hours getting two or three levels on my mid-30 level pokemon..
I think victory road is your best bet unfortunately, unless you have a lot rematches waiting for you.

Now that I have a Charmander to raise, thanks to Metroid Killer. I've gotten the itch to raise a Squirtle along with it so that I can have a well rounded starter-type group in my party. Meganium, Charizard and Blastoise.

Thanks again to anyone that can help!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
El Sloth said:
You were not kidding about that eagerness thing! Just got a Japanese level 1 Charmander for a Meowth. :lol I'm going for the whole set guys! Let's see if a level 3 togepi is good enough for Squirtle!
My biggest issue with the GTS so far is that I haven't seen a lot of the stuff I want. Haven't seen a Squirtle or Charmander, for instance, so I have to ask for Wartortle or Charmeleon.

This will make getting starters from Ruby/Sapphire much more difficult for me, as well as Chikorita. Can always just set up a trade here on GAF, of course, but quite often my GAF time does not coincide with time that I'm available for trades.

Nayishiki

Odious Tea said:
Now that I have a Charmander to raise, thanks to Metroid Killer. I've gotten the itch to raise a Squirtle along with it so that I can have a well rounded starter-type group in my party. Meganium, Charizard and Blastoise.

Thanks again to anyone that can help!

I can give you a Squirtle fc is 3653 2713 6337.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Interesting team, Hatchet. FWIW, that strategy is actually quite a bit more viable in Doubles than it is in Singles.

Been trying so hard to get a Kyogre from Heart Gold off of WiFi. No luck yet. :/

EDIT - These people need to stop giving me Hoenn Kyogre. I don't want him. :lol

I love how every time I think I get tired of this game, I find something else to occupy my time.

Sixfortyfive said:
PBR is worth it if:

- you really like competitive battling.
- you have a DS game with already-trained Pokemon on it.
- you enjoy the Battle Frontier and would like more of the same.
- fighting random wi-fi players who use nothing but overpowered legendaries sounds like fun.
Awww... I don't want that. I just want the fancy Pikachu. =[

Fitz

Damn, I need to get me a Breloom setup like you mentioned 645, I've just started catching a ton of Natu for Synchronizing natures and my 31 Smeargle is somewhat poor for the job. :lol

It doesn't seem very clear how in the Safari Zone you can get them, though it looks like a Shroomish will work as I'm going to have to breed for False Swipe anyway.

Sixfortyfive said:
There doesn't seem to be any one Japanese Pokemon community as centralized and influential as Smogon is for the English community. There are a handful of smaller forums and such with their own rules and tiering, but the most common teams you'd see on random wi-fi battles would be those following Nintendo's current VGC rules.

Weather teams are really popular this year, mostly due to Kyogre and Groudon's inclusion.

Question Six - What if I have a Snorlax with Self Destruct? I got mine from PColo, but would Nintendo Staff/Participants be suspicious if I were to use one in a Tourney anyways?

Sixfortyfive

Galactic Quail said:
Question Six - What if I have a Snorlax with Self Destruct? I got mine from PColo, but would Nintendo Staff/Participants be suspicious if I were to use one in a Tourney anyways?
Move Restrictions:

Pokémon may only use moves (including those learned in an earlier video game) that have been learned through one of the following methods:

* Already learned by a Pokémon that was received from another Pokémon game (such as the Pikachu that knows Surf from Pokémon Battle Revolution)
Seems like it would check out.

Sometimes I wish Smogon would specify the methods various moves are learned on each Pokemon movelist. It's frustrating to read a set that looks interesting, only to research how to get it and discover that it uses 3rd gen-only event moves or what have you.

Noob question incoming.

I left my instruction manual back at home, and I did not play Diamond/Pearl so I'm unfamiliar with the Global Trading System. Whenever I'm searching for a pokemon, I'm only receiving 3 search results each time. If I change the specifications, I might get a new one thrown in there, but if I go back to my original specification I'll get the same three offers again.

Is there a limit with search results based on the number of badges you have, or is that just the way it is?

Thanks in advance :)

Sixfortyfive

I think the only way to get more results shown at a time is to complete more trades.

Yeah, it's a pointless and frustrating restriction.

beje

Banned
Trumpet909 said:
Noob question incoming.

I left my instruction manual back at home, and I did not play Diamond/Pearl so I'm unfamiliar with the Global Trading System. Whenever I'm searching for a pokemon, I'm only receiving 3 search results each time. If I change the specifications, I might get a new one thrown in there, but if I go back to my original specification I'll get the same three offers again.

Is there a limit with search results based on the number of badges you have, or is that just the way it is?

Thanks in advance :)

You get more choices (up to 7) the more pokemon you trade using the system so you'd better start just leaving shit there and wait until it's traded (usually around one day). If you don't trade anything in some days, the limit goes back to 5 or 3 again.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
beje said:
You get more choices (up to 7) the more pokemon you trade using the system so you'd better start just leaving shit there and wait until it's traded (usually around one day). If you don't trade anything in some days, the limit goes back to 5 or 3 again.
Interesting. I've been wondering why I never got a full platter of choices.

Sixfortyfive said:
I think the only way to get more results shown at a time is to complete more trades.

Yeah, it's a pointless and frustrating restriction.

Well, that won't be happening for me anytime soon; too many people request something ridiculous like a level 100 Blastoise.

I do have a cute Elekid if anyone has a Scyther (Preferably a level between 10-20) they are willing to part with. The Bug Catching Contest hates me.

Both are level 11, with: Quick Attack, Leer, Low Kick, ThunderPunch. One is Hasty, the other is Quiet.

beje

Banned
Also a warning for those new to this system. I don't know if the glitch is still there like in Diamond and Pearl, but if you leave something for trading and when you come back it's not there:

1) Don't panic
2) Don't upload something else
3) Log out and in again

There are some rare chances that your poke will actually be gone, but it's described in the manual as normal when you leave it there for a lot of time (like, more than 5 or 6 days).

mjc

This might be another stupid question.

Right now Raikou is poisoned from a previous encounter I had with it. I'm putting a save before I run into it again just in case, but they don't automatically revive if you KO them right? Like if you accidentally KO them they're done for...gone?

mjc said:

On Friday, you can call Jamie for a rematch. She's right outside victory road. After you beat her, enter the cave and call her again and you can keep rebattling her.

Easystride said:
On Friday, you can call Jamie for a rematch. She's right outside victory road. After you beat her, enter the cave and call her again and you can keep rebattling her.

Don't they raise significantly higher in level each time you rematch though?

Have a question for you guys

My Scyther is pretty great in my opinion. I have the thing ot evovle him to Scizer, but according to bulbapedia, Scizer's speed is much lower than that of Scyther. That's the thing I love about my Scyther. Will I lose stats when I evolve?

HappyBivouac said:
Don't they raise significantly higher in level each time you rematch though?
She didn't for me. I needed to raise my Feraligatr a bit to beat Lance's Dragonites, and that's the method I used.

Mafro

I've got a lvl 10 Magikarp, should I raise that to evolve it into a Gyarados, or wait until I can catch the red one in the Lake of Rage? Is it special in any other way than the different colour?

Hex

Banned
Have an odd request, does anyone have a Masquerain with Silver wind?
I need one for breeding purposes :(

Edit:Male

Sixfortyfive

Mafro said:
I've got a lvl 10 Magikarp, should I raise that to evolve it into a Gyarados, or wait until I can catch the red one in the Lake of Rage? Is it special in any other way than the different colour?
It's level 30, which is reason enough to wait IMO. Give that EXP that would have gone to the Magikarp to something else.

Okay, I haven't played a pokemon game since the original gold/silver

Does this game have the same list of obtainable pokemon as the original gold/silver, or does it include all the newer generation pokemon?

I'm trying to decide if i should get soulsilver or platinum...

I dusted off my old Emerald cartridge earlier, because I wanted a Gyarados but I don't know if I can face this horrible 'hatching at Level 1' business in the DS games. I mean, sure it makes more sense than Level 5 because you can find Pokes lower than Level 5 in the wild, but I think there's quite a list of more pressing issues Game Freak might have fixed ahead of that if they were striving for 'realism'.

Anyway, with that lovely straight route right outside the Daycare in Emerald and Magikarp being the quickest hatching egg in the game, it only took a couple of hours to get an Adamant Gyarados with IVs of 27/31/29/6/26/29.

In other news, I play Pokemon way too damn much. In the first week I had Soul Silver I poured 55 hours into it :lol

Sixfortyfive

Does that 4 level difference really bother you that much? There's over 20 Rare Candies to be found lying about in HGSS anyway.

robotzombie said:
Okay, I haven't played a pokemon game since the original gold/silver

Does this game have the same list of obtainable pokemon as the original gold/silver, or does it include all the newer generation pokemon?

I'm trying to decide if i should get soulsilver or platinum...
Most of the newer Pokemon can be caught.

http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/exclusives.shtml
http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/unobtainable.shtml

Conversely, here are the unobtainable Pokemon in Platinum:
http://www.serebii.net/platinum/missing.shtml

El Sloth

Banned
Monroeski said:
My biggest issue with the GTS so far is that I haven't seen a lot of the stuff I want. Haven't seen a Squirtle or Charmander, for instance, so I have to ask for Wartortle or Charmeleon.

This will make getting starters from Ruby/Sapphire much more difficult for me, as well as Chikorita. Can always just set up a trade here on GAF, of course, but quite often my GAF time does not coincide with time that I'm available for trades.

Well if you have a Ditto to spare I can probably get you eggs of the Bulbusaur and Charmander I got. Looks like my luck ended with Charmander, no one is biting on the togepi.

I'm probably gonna wait a couple of days before offering someone else. Maybe another Silver exclusive?

EDIT:
nastynate409 said:
Have a question for you guys

My Scyther is pretty great in my opinion. I have the thing ot evovle him to Scizer, but according to bulbapedia, Scizer's speed is much lower than that of Scyther. That's the thing I love about my Scyther. Will I lose stats when I evolve?

Well here something handy to help you out on your decision:
http://pokemon.marriland.com/hgss/pokedex/scyther/
http://pokemon.marriland.com/hgss/pokedex/scizor/

Those have the base stats of both pokemon and all the moves they can learn, along with some other useful info.

Sixfortyfive said:
Does that 4 level difference really bother you that much? There's over 20 Rare Candies to be found lying about in HGSS anyway.

It does indeed. If you put a Level 1 Pokemon's stats into an IV calculator every one comes back as 0-31. You can't tell at a glance whether the Poke you've just hatched is any good. Every time you hatch an egg you have to save and Rare Candy it a few levels. It just makes the process so time consuming. At Level 5 at least you can get ranges of 20-31, or even 30-31 for some stats, so you only have to Rare Candy the few that look good.

Sixfortyfive

matrix-cat said:
It does indeed. If you put a Level 1 Pokemon's stats into an IV calculator every one comes back as 0-31. You can't tell at a glance whether the Poke you've just hatched is any good. Every time you hatch an egg you have to save and Rare Candy it a few levels. It just makes the process so time consuming. At Level 5 at least you can get ranges of 20-31, or even 30-31 for some stats, so you only have to Rare Candy the few that look good.
I always considered it impossible to tell if a Pokemon was any good or not until about level 20 anyway. I'd always level them until I could tell their IVs exactly. That way I'd know exactly how much EVs I'd have to allot to certain stats to make up the difference when the situation warranted it.

(What do I even care anymore? I just RNG all my shit now.)

Well, with these Magikarps I was just hatching I knew that the Adamant ones I wanted would have stats of 18/7/12/6/8/14 at Level 5. If it had those I knew it was worth saving and Rare Candying it up a few levels. If not I could just release the sucker. At Level 1, every Magikarp, no matter the IVs, has stats of 11/5/6/4/5/6, meaning I have to save and Rare Candy every single one instead of maybe one in ten.

Sixfortyfive

Anybody willing to help me transfer a party of 6 from Plat to Gold?

Lkr said:
just bought heart gold for the sole purpose of kyogre >_>
This was the only factor in my decision between HG and SS.

Lkr

Dabookerman said:
Why do people specifically want a Heart Gold Kyogre?
if you have both kyogre and groudon from hgss, you can get rayquaza. i already have superior silver, but i bought inferior gold just to get the kyogre

Lkr said:
if you have both kyogre and groudon from hgss, you can get rayquaza. i already have superior silver, but i bought inferior gold just to get the kyogre

Oh of course. Completely forgot about that. Will need to see if my friend will give me Kyogre from his HG. I dunno how soon I'm gonna go through the game again on my copy of HG :lol

Top Bottom