• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Morokh

I just saw I have a shiny Ponyta in my Diamond game (totally forgot about that :p )

Simple question, are the pokemons you capture EV free ?

Buying Heart Gold today, finally, I'm excited! :D Haven't played Pokemon seriously since Ruby.

Going to pick up Feraligatr as my starter, but can't really decide on a moveset. Waterfall, Ice Punch, and Earthquake are going to be in it, but should I choose Dragon Dance and an Adamant nature, or Swords Dance and a Jolly nature?

And what's a good Pokemon to catch to beat Bugsy?

Gravijah said:
Do I still get the rarer items/Pokemon after the steps reset every night?
No you still have to walk the walk. And unfortunately unlike when getting the pokemon the required steps can't be reduced by using a certain type.

I walked about 10K steps today, and all I got were "!" Pikachus. I may have gotten one "!!," but it fled. ARGH. It's such bullshit. At least they could have thrown in a few Pichus or Raichus to break up the monotony.

Yeah that's exactly why I didn't care that much about that course, it's simply too boring, and I'm not in the need of more special Pikachus
Morokh said:
Simple question, are the pokemons you capture EV free ?
Yup wild pokemons are blank canvases when captured.

jdogmoney

Probably a dumb question about breeding. Bellossom apparently learns Sunny Day naturally at the starting level, according to Bulbapedia. I'm not sure what this means, since the earliest you can get a Bellossom is level 22. Do I have to use a heartscale?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
jdogmoney said:
Probably a dumb question about breeding. Bellossom apparently learns Sunny Day naturally at the starting level, according to Bulbapedia. I'm not sure what this means, since the earliest you can get a Bellossom is level 22. Do I have to use a heartscale?
Yes.

Sixfortyfive said:
Oh shit.

Falkner's Swellow has a Flame Orb. O_O
At first I was like, sure these self-damage-inflincting items may boost an attack or something but how great can it be? But then I saw Swellow's ability and the move Facade o_O does the powerboost stack?

jdogmoney

Well. Okay. I think it's worth it for the Sunny Day/moonlight/solar beam combo I mentioned earlier...can't think of a good move for the fourth slot, though.

EDIT: Drain Punch might be funny enough to try. :)

EDIT 2: Sludge Bomb might be a less stupid idea.

Sixfortyfive

Metroid Killer said:
At first I was like, sure these self-damage-inflincting items may boost an attack or something but how great can it be? But then I saw Swellow's ability and the move Facade o_O does the powerboost stack?
Yeah. I think Facade is roughly 2.5x as strong after a burn. It's a STAB move on Swellow too.

Sixfortyfive said:
But he has Guts as well.
With that, it would be 3x as powerful. 4.5x after STAB.

The formulas in the game are so interesting to me :)

edit: To summarise what was said by all for those not following:
Guts increases attack stat by 50%.
Facade doubles in base power by 2 when statused.
STAB multiplies final attack damage by 1.5.
Roughly 4.5x damage from normal, overall

OMG Aero said:
So does guts cancel out the attack drop caused by a burn? I always heard it was better to use a Toxic Orb with guts.
Burn atttack drop doesn't apply with Guts, according to wiki.

Apparently, it is better to use Toxic Orb on pokes who don't stay long in battle, since it does less damage per turn than Flame Orb for the first 3 turns a poke is out.

jdogmoney

Okay. I should be turning out Oddish eggs with Sunny Day/Solarbeam/Sludge Bomb/Moonlight tomorrow, unless I've made a grievous error. If anyone wants (what I think is) a decent set-up for a Vileplume or Bellossom, I'd be happy to give you one.

[I know, it's not that big a deal, but this is my first time to craft a Pokemon's movelist at birth. I'm proud of me! :D ]

beje

Banned
cdyhybrid said:
Tried this to get the TRU Arceus and the GS Jirachi, but it's not working. It's telling me to change my DNS to 0.0.0.0 and my DS is telling me that those settings aren't allowed or something. Halp?

I don't know how does the program work but you may try changing the primary DNS to the local IP of the PC you're using for this trick.

cdyhybrid

beje said:
I don't know how does the program work but you may try changing the primary DNS to the local IP of the PC you're using for this trick.

Tried that, says unable to connect to the GTS and then disconnects me.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
cdyhybrid said:
Tried this to get the TRU Arceus and the GS Jirachi, but it's not working. It's telling me to change my DNS to 0.0.0.0 and my DS is telling me that those settings aren't allowed or something. Halp?

How odd. The sendpkm.py would give the DNS of the wireless router you're using.

Wichu

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Oh absolutely. This is the first time I'm going to be able to get a complete Pokédex legitimately, so I want to make sure I can.
I wouldn't class this as legitimate, as you're connecting through your PC. What's the difference between using a PC to get Pokémon data onto your game and using a cheat cartridge to do the exact same thing?

upandaway

Wichu said:
I wouldn't class this as legitimate, as you're connecting through your PC. What's the difference between using a PC to get Pokémon data onto your game and using a cheat cartridge to do the exact same thing?
One has the word "legit" injected into every sentence in its explanation and the other doesn't.

Sixfortyfive

Yeah, if I'm up to speed on my Pokemon hacking lingo, this sort of stuff falls into two broad categories:

Legitimate: Obtained entirely through the games only. No external devices involved. Glitches permitted.
Legal: May or may not involve the use of external devices, but the end result is something that could have been obtained without them.

With overlap, that gives you three total categories: legit and legal (obtained in-game), legal but illegit (hacked but indistinguishable from the real thing), and illegal (can't be obtained in-game alone).

This seems to fall into that middle category.

beje

Banned
Caught Suicune at the second Ultra Ball :D and I didn't have to do anything special, just poison and red health.

Axis

I'm looking for the extremespeed zigzagoon from a few years back if anyone has one to trade? shot in the dark, i'm sure...but let me know!

Damn Lugia, it doesn´t let be caught :lol

Any tips to catch him using only attacks, no status effect and ultra balls?

Down + B? :lol

Zmart said:
Damn Lugia, it doesn´t let be caught :lol

Any tips to catch him using only attacks, no status effect and ultra balls?

Down + B? :lol

I told my sis to spam ultra balls on it after i got it down to half health. She caught it with the second... :D
She was hammering on the 'a' button, if it makes any difference to you.

Tried everything even the pokeball (I believe in that sometimes the cheapest pokeball will work).

I guest that I just gonna try again :lol

Echoes

So, I'm going to buy Heart Gold (wanna get Kyogre ASAP goddamit) and the guide as well. I will post impressions about the guide if anybody wants it.

^I still think it's crazy to buy another copy just because of a certain pokemon. I understand that there are other factors, but I can't justify another buy myself.

Goddamn Articuno! These Dusk Balls don't grow on trees. $36,000 you cost me you stupid bird. I caught Lugia in four, what makes you so special?

So now I have all sixteen badges, and I'm searching for all the Rock Climbable rocks around the place to get all the juicy items I missed. 65 hours later :lol It would have been longer had I not Pal Parked over my new Gyarados and proceeded to show Kanto who was boss.

Echoes

Minister of the Dog said:
Can't you just trade Kyogre from RSE?
It must be a Heart Gold Kyogre for the event.

MK, you're absolutely right. However, since I'm collecting Poke games, it may be good to have another copy if I ever felt like restarting the game. Still, it's not justifiable, but I won't be buying any new games in the near future so that's something. I would love to gift it to a friend, but unfortunately no one is hyped. The only one who loves Pokemon got the game a week ago.

I need to manage my spendings dammit.

Echoes said:
So, I'm going to buy Heart Gold (wanna get Kyogre ASAP goddamit) and the guide as well. I will post impressions about the guide if anybody wants it.

I have the guide. I'm not impressed with it. I'm sick of Pokemon guides being lazy and half-assing it with the Pokedex. It only covers the Johto Pokemon, so there's nothing on any third or fourth generation Pokemon. Also, no egg moves or move tutor moves; it only lists level-up moves. It tells you what ability each Pokemon has, but doesn't give a description next to it, so unless you have them memorized, you have to flip to the back of the guide for the list.

By this point, we should be seeing guides that delve into the competitive/hidden aspects of the game that we're all familiar with. So why are we still seeing shitty guides that don't even bother to list all the basics?

Just picked up my copy of Heart Gold today, not played it much so far but I've got to say that I love the Pokewalker. I really like all the little status reports it gives you, I had to say "awww" when it said my Caterpie got excited, ran off ahead of me and then turned round and wondered where I was.

Top Bottom