• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Sixfortyfive said:
Gym leader rematches. Wild Pokemon are a waste of time.

Once you're at a high enough level to beat the first E4 guy consistently, just level up on the E4 itself.
I havent played in a few days as ive been mad busy but what I found best was to deposit all my cash to mum and then go to E4 and fight my way till everything feints, then repeat. 9 times out of 10 id get to Lance without really trying. My charmander went from 1-32 or something in one "round" :lol

Wizpig

beje said:
That's why I hate any kind of competitive Pokémon regardless of tiers and rules. Why bother at all when any tard with half a brain can pokesav a perfect and legit team in less than 5 minutes and start steamrolling everyone?
That's not "legit" by definition (pokésav = hack) but I otherwise completely agree with you.

Just try to convince those people that the FUN in Pokémon games is about playing legit.
If you can't do that, just ignore them or
tell them to fuck themselves.

Firestorm

beje said:
That's why I hate any kind of competitive Pokémon regardless of tiers and rules. Why bother at all when any tard with half a brain can pokesav a perfect and legit team in less than 5 minutes and start steamrolling everyone?
Eh, if it's within legitimate stats they can't start steamrolling anyway. You need brains to come out on top and if they have half a brain they're going to fail.

That said, IVs are the only hard to get things in this game. Natures are pretty easy. EVs are like a 15 min investment per Pokemon. Egg moves aren't too hard either.

If you really are that impatient, just play Shoddy Battle instead.

Salaadin

I didnt know about gym leader rematches. Thanks. Ill start doing that. Its kinda shitty that you can only do it on certain days though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hey, anyone interested in a Chikorita or Mudkip? I kinda need a Shiny Stone, and I think the one in National Park I need rock climb to get to, right?

Actually, does GAF have a dedicated Pokemon bazaar thread? Should it?

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Nah. I got all of the HG/SS starters, if you have a Squirtle or Bulbasaur that would be awesome. Otherwise, any SS exclusives would do just fine.

...or a Porygon.

If you are still around I can give you both Squirtle and Bulbasaur. I'll be here for half an hour of so.

That Bulbasaur is kinda good, knows Gigadrain and Leaf Storm. Makes it a lot easier to train.

PD: Yellow forest course, huh? :lol

By the way, I must have gotten some non-Johto Pokémon, since Mew is shown as number 255 =/

Minister of the Dog said:
That Bulbasaur is kinda good, knows Gigadrain and Leaf Storm. Makes it a lot easier to train.

PD: Yellow forest course, huh? :lol
Oooh. I'm just trying to finish off the 'Dex, so I don't think I'll use it oustide of leveling.

And yes, the Yellow Forest. :lol
Minister of the Dog said:
y the way, I must have gotten some non-Johto Pokémon, since Mew is shown as number 255 =/
I heard that they added a few "pre-evolutions" into the Johto Dex, so things moved around a bit.

Ondore

Kanto starters were already in the Johto Pokedex, but they did add five spots for Pokemon that evolve by knowing a specific move (evolutions for Aipom, Yanma, Tangela, Piloswine and Lickitung).

Ondore said:
Kanto starters were already in the Johto Pokedex, but they did add five spots for Pokemon that evolve by knowing a specific move (evolutions for Aipom, Yanma, Tangela, Piloswine and Lickitung).
That was it. I know they added a few things, but I thought it was pre-evolutions.

Unicorn

beje said:
Wish pokesav didn't let people change location caught or let them make eggs. Then it'd be easier to spot the hacks.

This is the main reason I can't take pokemon seriously enough to actually attend tournaments. Ill play competitive with friends. And maybe a couple people here, but when you throw in the word tournament a lot of people will do as many seedy things as they can to try and get a leg-up on the competition. Sad, really.

upandaway

How is Battle Revolution in terms of NPC fights? I'm kinda feeling like battling normal, genuine 6-Pokemon teams, similar to gym leaders and the E4 and all that.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
upandaway said:
How is Battle Revolution in terms of NPC fights? I'm kinda feeling like battling normal, genuine 6-Pokemon teams, similar to gym leaders and the E4 and all that.
Not as good as the Plat/HGSS Battle Frontier.

jdogmoney

Um, I'd just like to submit that the Elite Four + Champion setup can go right to hell.

My team:

Noctowl Lv 42 (WAN SHI)
Ampharos Lv 47 (PHILLIP)
Vileplume Lv 39 (PLUMEPLUME)
Growlithe Lv 42 (ASLAN)
Dragonair Lv 40
Feraligatr Lv 47 (GERTRUDE)

Not listed:

Any fighting type whatsoever. I'm considering going out and searching for a Heracross...

The first two/three guys are cake. Then I meet
Umbreon
. Screw you,
Umbreon

Lance
is an a-hole. Three Dragonites? Are you kidding me with that? Screw you, too, buddy.

Poyunch

Guardian Bob said:
Does it go away if i evolve it? Its an eevee, and i want to throw a thunderstone on him.
Pokerus' effect is a permanent thing. Although you only have 48 hours (unless you keep the Pokemon in the box) before it "goes away" and you lose the ability to infect other Pokemon.

Sixfortyfive

jdogmoney said:
Um, I'd just like to submit that the Elite Four + Champion setup can go right to hell.

My team:

Noctowl Lv 42 (WAN SHI)
Ampharos Lv 47 (PHILLIP)
Vileplume Lv 39 (PLUMEPLUME)
Growlithe Lv 42 (ASLAN)
Dragonair Lv 40
Feraligatr Lv 47 (GERTRUDE)

Not listed:

Any fighting type whatsoever. I'm considering going out and searching for a Heracross...

The first two/three guys are cake. Then I meet
Umbreon
. Screw you,
Umbreon

Lance
is an a-hole. Three Dragonites? Are you kidding me with that? Screw you, too, buddy.
If you think Lance is bad now, just wait for the rematch. I'm on it right now, and I'm not enjoying what he brought in to replace two of his Dragonites.

Guardian Bob said:
Does it go away if i evolve it? Its an eevee, and i want to throw a thunderstone on him.
A Pokemon will keep Pokerus forever, but it loses the ability to spread the condition to other Pokemon at midnight. This can be prevented by putting it in the PC while the date rolls over, then taking it back out. Once it is no longer contagious, there will be a yellow smiley face on the summary screen instead of the PKRS mark.

larvi

Just started the battle frontier and got my 1st gold stamp from the battle arcade. The team I used was Garchomp, Metagross and Starmie that I transfered over from platinum. I got all of the gold badges in the Emerald frontier so I'm hoping I can do it again. As usual I suspect the Battle Factory will be the hardest as it's more luck dependent than the others.

Sixfortyfive

Don't rely on any less-than-perfectly-accurate attacks in the Battle Hall. 95% accuracy can and will fuck you over eventually when you have to get 170 wins in a row.

Hex

Banned
Looking for

male growlithe or torkoal with heatwave

and

male Butterfree Venomoth Ledyba, Ledian Beautifly Dustox Masquerain Mothim with silverwind

Anth0ny

Sixfortyfive said:
Gym leader rematches. Wild Pokemon are a waste of time.

Once you're at a high enough level to beat the first E4 guy consistently, just level up on the E4 itself.

Oh God this.

I just re matched Blaine a bunch of times and leveled up my Blastoise and Aerodactyl from level 60 to 70. Shit works wonders.

upandaway

God I hate joggers. I had to fight two of them on the Breeding Road with my level 28 Magmar. Both of them abused Double Team but thankfully my Magmar had Faint Attack.

larvi

Sixfortyfive said:
Don't rely on any less-than-perfectly-accurate attacks in the Battle Hall. 95% accuracy can and will fuck you over eventually when you have to get 170 wins in a row.

Yeah, I cleared that one with Garchomp in platinum without too much trouble so I should be able to get through it again. The key was to get the types you are weak to out of the way 1st, i.e. ice when you still have the lvl advantage. At least they didn't bring back the Battle Palace from Emerald, I hated that one since you couldn't choose what attacks you pokemon would use.

Sixfortyfive

upandaway said:
God I hate joggers. I had to fight two of them on the Breeding Road with my level 28 Magmar. Both of them abused Double Team but thankfully my Magmar had Faint Attack.
Are you talking about DPPt or HGSS? I don't recall seeing any joggers in HGSS.

So I transfered my Emerald pokes to HG and damn I missed those guys, they really worked hard back in our GBA days to get those gold medals in Battle Frontier. Now they are up to a new chalenge! Go me!

And fuck I just noticed my Emerald Play time.
999:59

bon

Man, Ho-oh looks so good on the title screen. I'm almost convinced that full 3D graphics for gen 5 would be a good idea.

Butane123 said:
So, today was Ditto Swarm day for me. Number of Ditto caught: 45

Still didn't find an adamant one.
I have a japanese adamant if you need one (increases your chances for a shiny as well). I'll eat some breakfast and be back in 15 mins.

Sixfortyfive

I am pretty sure that Natures are irrelevant when the parents are from different language games. The Everstone trick won't work.

Gravijah

I'll be more active in this thread again this weekend, I hope. Not being able to find Platinum really killed my mojo, and I'll be replacing it then.

Sixfortyfive said:
I am pretty sure that Natures are irrelevant when the parents are from different language games. The Everstone trick won't work.
Damn you are right, crap that means I didn't need all 4 Dittos you traded me, just one... And it also means I have to go Ditto hunting again :(

Sixfortyfive

I always forget about that detail.... I still don't know whether it's different regions (i.e. USA/Europe) that prevent it, or different languages (English/Japanese) though.

Gravijah said:
Ditto(foreign)+Any Pokemon doesn't increase the rate of shinies, it would have to be Ditto(foreign)+Ditto, right?
It's the first. And it doesn't have to be a Ditto.

Pokemon(from your game)+Pokemon(from another language) = 1 out of 2048 egg shiny chance.

If one of the two Pokemon happens to be a Ditto the everstone nature trick wont work as Sixfortyfive said.

Top Bottom