• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

I think I've been playing so much HeartGold, that Pokémon is starting to enter my dreams. D=

I dreamed that I was going to fight a gym with primarily Fighting types and my mom told me I'd lose, and I did. =/

Echoes

Jet Grind Radio! said:
I think I've been playing so much HeartGold, that Pokémon is starting to enter my dreams. D=

I dreamed that I was going to fight a gym with primarily Fighting types and my mom told me I'd lose, and I did. =/
Me as well. I'm having dreams about EV training (even though I'm not doing any this past week).

Training and breeding is so awesome even though I know I will suck so bad competitive-wise. It's just so much fun.

mmxzero

Jet Grind Radio! said:

Mom knows best.:D

I can't believe I just found out about the synchronize ability to get a good natured pokemon. So much wasted time... it'll really help with suicune though.

thefil

Asked this yesterday, but may as well try again: anyone have a Beldum or a Makuhita I could borrow to breed my own? I'd be willing to breed you a Totodile/Wailmer/Larvitar/anything else I have at my (limited) disposal.

Axis

thefil said:
Asked this yesterday, but may as well try again: anyone have a Beldum or a Makuhita I could borrow to breed my own? I'd be willing to breed you a Totodile/Wailmer/Larvitar/anything else I have at my (limited) disposal.

getting on wifi with them now

just bring a wailmer and whatever else!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Totally getting in on the shiny charmander competition. When I get home from work I'll be hitting Metroid Killer up for a foreign ditto. Even if I don't win the competition, I think I'm gonna keep trying until I succeed or off myself, cause shiny charizard IS truly the most awesome shiny pokemon of all time and I just decided that I NEED one. :lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oooh, fuck you Kingdra, and your stupid Hydro pump one hit KO against three Pokemon in a row when I've been owning every other Pokemon in her party. I have to go grind now...

The_Technomancer said:
Oooh, fuck you Kingdra, and your stupid Hydro pump one hit KO against three Pokemon in a row when I've been owning every other Pokemon in her party. I have to go grind now...
Kingdra is ridiculous. Its resistance coverage borders on unfair.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Realized I have my DS on me. Sent PM's to Metroid Killer and Nayishiki for help getting a ditto and charmander. I'll be inviting a trade for the next hour or two while I finish up the work day, if you guys can jump in and hook me up I'd love you forever. :D

LiQuid!

Thanks Nayishiki! Sorry it took me a couple minutes to start the trade up. Trying to work, watch baseball and monitor the pokemon at the same time. :)

The_Technomancer said:
I know what ya mean. My party is around 33-35 right now, and Kingdra slaughters me. I would just grind her other Pokémon, but I don't want to keep losing money everytime.

Nayishiki

LiQuid! said:
Thanks Nayishiki! Sorry it took me a couple minutes to start the trade up. Trying to work, watch baseball and monitor the pokemon at the same time. :)

No Problem! Good luck getting a Shiny Charmander.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I have yet to lose a battle in this game and I am severely under leveled since I keep nature breeding and starting over with lv 1 pokemon. I beat the entire dragon gym with only lv 36 charizard, and lv 36 venusaur.

Of course charizard is ev trained so his fly attack ohko'd most of them even though he was under leveled.

JSnake

This is probably a pretty demanding request but does anyone happen to have two Stone Edge TMs and one Earthquake TM? I've posted this request around on one or two other forums but didn't get any biters. Probably because I don't have much to offer. But if you want a Mewtwo, I can give you one!

I actually had a relatively easy time with Clair today. Took me only 3 tries to beat her with no pokemon lost. Took out Gyarados with my lvl 36 Ampharos's Discharge in one hit. Both Dragonairs got Ice Fang'd by my lvl 37 Feraligatr, who survived with less than 20 hp and paralysis.

Kingdra is a bitch because it's only weak against Dragon type (I think), but I just used Ampharos to deal with it. Surprisingly, it can take a strong STAB special attack like Hydro Pump pretty well. The rest was just paralyzing it, switching in Pidgeot, and wearing it down with Fly to avoid Hydro Pumps/Hyper Beams and using Twister to get the health low enough to use another Fly before Clair would heal it.

LiQuid!

My kangaskhan had outrage by the time I fought the kingdra. It was still tough.

Jokey665

GG Hatchet Man

I'm glad my gimmicks were able to pull out a W (especially dat Heatran! lolz), gives me a little hope for the tournament coming up. The 6th member you never saw was an Absol, btw.

Harpuia

I want in on these Charmander shenanigans! FC is 4211 6206 9635, to the guy giving out Japanese Dittos. I'm guessing breeding with a foreign poke gives a higher chance of getting a shiny?

LiQuid!

Harpuia said:
I want in on these Charmander shenanigans! FC is 4211 6206 9635, to the guy giving out Japanese Dittos. I'm guessing breeding with a foreign poke gives a higher chance of getting a shiny?
Yeah, from 1/8,192 chance to 1/2,048 chance.

Also known as the Masuda method.

CerberusE

Neo Member
Got this on an impulse on Friday and so far haven't been able to play it. I found my Phat DS but can't find the charger anywhere.

I'll probably head out to buy a DS Lite or a DSi later tonight. Not sure if I'm quite convinced about the DSi so far. Would the extra money I'd have to pay for it over the DS Lite be worth it?

LiQuid!

CerberusE said:
Got this on an impulse on Friday and so far haven't been able to play it. I found my Phat DS but can't find the charger anywhere.

I'll probably head out to buy a DS Lite or a DSi later tonight. Not sure if I'm quite convinced about the DSi so far. Would the extra money I'd have to pay for it over the DS Lite be worth it?
Yeah, it's drastically better. Plus then you can hand-me-down your phat boy to me so I can trade pokes with myself. :D

Butane123

CerberusE said:

Yes, the DSi is worth it over the DS Lite.

If you really want a nice one, get the DSi XL. Got mine last week and love the thing. But yeah, its even more, so probably not the best option.

Poyunch

CerberusE said:

Better buttons, larger screens, a nicer menu, and free games (if you register it on Club Nintendo). Totally worth it.

CerberusE

Neo Member
Sounds like DSi it is then.

I'd send you the Phat but the L and R buttons are stuck. My plan is to open it up and start poking on the insides because I always find that fascinating. Thanks for all the help guys.

The Technomancer

sonicspear64 said:
I actually had a relatively easy time with Clair today. Took me only 3 tries to beat her with no pokemon lost. Took out Gyarados with my lvl 36 Ampharos's Discharge in one hit. Both Dragonairs got Ice Fang'd by my lvl 37 Feraligatr, who survived with less than 20 hp and paralysis.

Kingdra is a bitch because it's only weak against Dragon type (I think), but I just used Ampharos to deal with it. Surprisingly, it can take a strong STAB special attack like Hydro Pump pretty well. The rest was just paralyzing it, switching in Pidgeot, and wearing it down with Fly to avoid Hydro Pumps/Hyper Beams and using Twister to get the health low enough to use another Fly before Clair would heal it.
So far its been:
Gyrados: Ampharos uses Thunder. one hit KO
Dragonair: either Swampart uses Surf than Blizzard, two hit KO, or a combination of Forretress and Togekiss, whittling it down with a few attacks that deal 1/4th to 1/3rd of Dragonairs HP.

Kingdra:......fuck. Ampharos, hydro pump, dead. Togekiss, hydro pump, dead. Forretress, hydro pump, dead. Swampart, useless, probably already near dead from Dragonair.
Meganium, gets off maybe one Solar Beam before various attacks = dead.

btkadams

CerberusE said:
Sounds like DSi it is then.

I'd send you the Phat but the L and R buttons are stuck. My plan is to open it up and start poking on the insides because I always find that fascinating. Thanks for all the help guys.
wwait, do you have a gameboy advance sp? if not, then id say get the lite so you can play gba games.

btkadams said:
wwait, do you have a gameboy advance sp? if not, then id say get the lite so you can play gba games.

Yeah, and if you have any old GBA Pokemon games, the DS phat and Lite are the only types of DS that can transfer Pokemon between last gen and current gen. That's the only reason I haven't traded my Lite in towards a DSi/DSi XL.

cdyhybrid

upandaway said:
This for single player, right?

I used a Houndoom on my Platinum run and it my set for it was Nasty Plot, Will-O-Wisp, Flamethrower and Dark Pulse. I think you took it too much to the physical side where it's weaker.

Yup, single-player and casual battling.

fernoca

Just received a HeartGold bundle of some sort..as a gift.
Says 'Wal-Mart Exclusive' came with the game, the Ho-Oh figurine I was whining around here about how I really wanted it and was looking to buy :)lol ) and a black/rubber cover for the Pokewalker with HeartGold written on top and Ho-Oh on the back (with a wristband).... Now have both games. :)

Also..
Is there any way to know if the Pokemon from the GTS are legal?
I just got a Ditto..from a "girl"..and it's blue. Though I'm planning on using it mostly to have eggs, but it's weird..doesn't have any fancy moves or anything (just Transform)..is level 50.

SaintZ

Earlier, I did the Team Rocket/Lake Rage sidequest and umm... why were all of the team rocket's the pokemon so weak? Did I had to do it before going against Chuck? I beat most of them using my HM Slave Furret. And then Pryce, his Piloswine was a level below Jasmine's Steelix... how odd.

The Technomancer

SaintZ said:
Earlier, I did the Team Rocket/Lake Rage sidequest and umm... why were all of the team rocket's the pokemon so weak? Did I had to do it before going against Chuck? I beat most of them using my HM Slave Furret. And then Pryce, his Piloswine was a level below Jasmine's Steelix... how odd.
Yeah, I thought that too, but on your Trainer Card Pryce's badge comes after Jasmine's....

OMG Aero

Well, Clair's Kingdra just destroyed me.
I think one of the most annoying things in the game for me so far is that the levels are all over the place. Trainers, wild Pokemon and Team Rocket members are so terribly under levelled in comparison to the gym leaders. Because of this I've been under levelled at every single gym battle whereas in other Pokemon games I've been round about on the same level or just under. This also means that if you want to grind to be closer to the gym leader, it will take even longer.

Just as an example, the route directly below Blackthorn has trainers with Pokemon around level 25. Clair's highest levelled Pokemon is over 40.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Anyone know where I can get a firestone in SS? Am at Olivine city after you beat the ghost leader, also just got surf

Hex

Banned
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Flying PikachuGET!! Now to get the Surfing Pikachu...

I just found out that I have an 841 Watt deficit from trying to catch Pikachus all day today. :lol

Finally got my flyer Pika last night, hope ill get a surf tonight (f' you and your 3% Pokemans people!!)

On a side note, my gf got a japanese wortortle from the global center that had surf on it and bred it for me and I ended up with a baby Squirtle with Surf.
Is that normal?

OMG Aero

Teetris said:
Anyone know where I can get a firestone in SS? Am at Olivine city after you beat the ghost leader, also just got surf
I was just on my game checking the daily events and a fire stone is one of the objects I could buy at the Pokeathlon today.

Hex said:
Finally got my flyer Pika last night, hope ill get a surf tonight (f' you and your 3% Pokemans people!!)

On a side note, my gf got a japanese wortortle from the global center that had surf on it and bred it for me and I ended up with a baby Squirtle with Surf.
Is that normal?
Pokemon can get moves from their parents, HMs included so there you go. I don't think that counts for special HM allowances like Surfing/Flying Pikachu though.

Hex

Banned
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Pokemon can get moves from their parents, HMs included so there you go. I don't think that counts for special HM allowances like Surfing/Flying Pikachu though.

Very cool, thank you

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
OMG Aero said:
I was just on my game checking the daily events and a fire stone is one of the objects I could buy at the Pokeathlon today.
Thanks man!! That's the place right before the bug catching park right?

I want my goddamn Nintetails! :lol

Top Bottom