• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Ondore

Probably LTTP on this, but I'm officially jealous as shit about sixfortyfive's Zapdos. I think that's the inspiration I need to go RNGing.

Mafro

Where's the best place to grind with my squad of lvl 33-ish Pokemon? I want to prepare a bit for the final Johto gym.

Echoes

Ondore said:
Probably LTTP on this, but I'm officially jealous as shit about sixfortyfive's Zapdos. I think that's the inspiration I need to go RNGing.
I just got back from a gathering with our friends, I was talking about RNG and based my example on 645's Zapdos. Best example ever, seriously.

Oh and...

shinyshuckle.jpg

Mafro said:
Where's the best place to grind with my squad of lvl 33-ish Pokemon? I want to prepare a bit for the final Johto gym.
Probably Ice Path. Make sure you have a pokemon that knows or can learn an ice move for the final gym, or catch and level a piloswine from the Ice Path, as it makes the final gym much easier.

What does a shiny Zapdos even look like? I'd love to get a shiny Scizor but I have no idea how to go about that in HG, and I know you can't start RNG unless you have your SID, which to get that you need to have encountered a shiny pokemon naturally. That, along with trying to work my way through raising my first EV trained Pokemon has been a fucking mindfuck. :lol

Calantus

I know this isn't the best place to ask this, but this is the most popular DS game thread.

With the new DSi XL, do the games scale well with the screen size? i'm really wanting a DS but i'm not sure if the extra size is worth it.

I just got to the Pal Park in Fuchsia City, and transferred some of my old Ruby Pokémon to SoulSilver, along with some berries, TMs and other items. One of those berries was a Liechi berry which I got when I sent my cartridge over to Nintendo (to fix the 100 hours bug). Back in the day it could only be obtained in Mirage Island, but now, according to Bulbapedia it can also be obtained through the Pokéwalker.

Oh, there's something I would like to ask. In Ruby, I had a Plusle who knew Rain Dance along with Thunder. Whenever I used Rain Dance, Thunder would never fail (and I believe it also dealed more damage). Is this still true as of generation IV?

hamchan

Mafro said:
I'm wondering if I should level my pokemon evenly this time around. For over a decade now I've been leveling only my starter the whole game and destroying every gym and elite four. Seems more fun to do it evenly?

Wizpig

Calantus said:
I know this isn't the best place to ask this, but this is the most popular DS game thread.

With the new DSi XL, do the games scale well with the screen size? i'm really wanting a DS but i'm not sure if the extra size is worth it.
2d games are incredibly better. (HOOOLY shit Castlevania... :Q__)
3d games... still better, but not a huge difference.

Pokémon is awesome on it.

Calantus said:

Couldn't tell you. Try to see if there are some comparison vids on Gametrailers or something. I probably wouldn't mind it, myself but I like my portables to be... well... you know... portable.

Could someone let me know what they think of these builds?:

Feraligatr

Ice Punch (could replace with Ice Fang if I can't get a female Totodile)
Waterfall
Crunch
Screech/Dragon Dance/Superpower/Earthquake (can't decide, can I get Dragon Dance and Ice Punch on the same Feraligatr?)

Ampharos

Signal Beam
Power Gem
Thunderbolt
Thunder Wave

Echoes said:
I just got back from a gathering with our friends, I was talking about RNG and based my example on 645's Zapdos. Best example ever, seriously.

Oh and...

shinyshuckle.jpg

Wow, and a great nature.

Nice job. Shuckle is my favorite Pokemon. =U

Feraligatr

Waterfall
Surf
Dragon Dance

Got mine from a gaffer but he has the above, surf is because im lazy:lol

Johnlenham said:
Feraligatr

Waterfall
Surf
Dragon Dance

I think Surf is one of the better water moves since it has 100% accuracy and one of the more powerful water moves.

^^^

Feraligatr doesn't really have the Sp.Atk to fully take advantage of Surf, though. On a Blastoise though, Surf is deadly.

Johnlenham said:
Feraligatr

Waterfall
Surf
Dragon Dance

I'd prefer not to have Surf and Waterfall on the same monster, honestly. Even a mixed sweeper.

Which reminds me, I've only got three slots on my team filled so far (I'm about to battle Witney), Totodile, Mareep and Gengar. Any recommendations for the final three?

notsol337

marked forever
upandaway said:
That's some bullshit right there Echoes. Even Killer is going 5 boxes and you already have the shiny Shuckle? I hate you.

Isn't Echoes the dude with like 40 shiny pokes? I bet he's using RNG if that's the case :D

Veitsev

upandaway said:
That's some bullshit right there Echoes. Even Killer is going 5 boxes and you already have the shiny Shuckle? I hate you.

If he is using RNG it sure is bullshit. RNG abuse is an exploit. If you are going to do it you might as well go all the way and use an AR to get shinies.

Echoes

Veitsev said:
If he is using RNG it sure is bullshit. RNG abuse is an exploit. If you are going to do it you might as well go all the way and use an AR to get shinies.
I have three boxes full of Shuckles. I still didn't get it from the Japanese Ditto technique. I was waiting for upandaway to say "hey that hatched in D/P/Pt it's RNG!" lol. My friend did it for me yesterday, although, I know absolute NOTHING about RNG, since I don't have a shiny in Platinum (and therefore can't get my SID). He RNG'd it, though it took him couple of times because he was just trying it for the first time.

I will continue getting my own shiny Shuckle, just because I want to see a hatched shiny Shuckle using this technique. If I don't get an egg now, I won't be hyped to do this tiresome practice again with something I want.

Oh, and I wish I have 40 shinies!

Veitsev said:
Screw that. As far as I'm concerned, if it can be done in-game using nothing but the engine, it's legit. That's why I'm not concerned about the cloning glitch in Emerald, the stat-reducing berry trick in Gen 4, the GTS trick (for evolving) or soft-resetting for beneficial nature/EVs.

All these things mess with the way the developers intended the game to be played and all of them can be done in-game. RNG abuse is legit (and difficult). AR codes are not legit as they require an external device.

thefil

Just spent an hour resetting to get a Beldum swarm in Diamond. Are there different probabilities for different swarms? Because I've gone through about 70 and I've seen 24/28 possibilities.

upandaway

Echoes said:
Oh, and I wish I have 40 shinies!
Why would you wish you had less shinies than what you already have

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Screw that. As far as I'm concerned, if it can be done in-game using nothing but the engine, it's legit. That's why I'm not concerned about the cloning glitch in Emerald, the stat-reducing berry trick in Gen 4, the GTS trick (for evolving) or soft-resetting for beneficial nature/EVs.

All these things mess with the way the developers intended the game to be played and all of them can be done in-game. RNG abuse is legit (and difficult). AR codes are not legit as they require an external device.
It's been a while since I discussed this. My stance on the whole deal is that everything goes, including external devices.
If a user decides he wants to cheat using a difficult, yet satisfying way, his choice. If he wants to cheat using an easy cop-out, that's fine too. In the end, he's the one who got the better experience, as opposed to someone who forced himself to play by the developers' guidelines. He came out on top and got the most out of the game to suit his own liking.

Echoes

I only have 5. Char, Shuckle, Grimer, Dugtrio, and the probably-hacked Azelf because no one trades a shiny Azelf for a Phione. Still, I'm not saying I don't have enough :lol one shiny is really all you need to be satisfied. After I got the shiny Diglett in Virmeleon City, I really was very very happy and didn't expect more, nor "needed" more.

I can pursue the RNG abuse but I'm already burdening myself with EV-training, breeding, and hunting for good natures/IVs. I really don't have room for more strategies. Plus, randomly encountering awesome things is satisfying (even though some people find it boring).

Hex

Banned
upandaway said:
Why would you wish you had less shinies than what you already have

It's been a while since I discussed this. My stance on the whole deal is that everything goes, including external devices.
If a user decides he wants to cheat using a difficult, yet satisfying way, his choice. If he wants to cheat using an easy cop-out, that's fine too. In the end, he's the one who got the better experience, as opposed to someone who forced himself to play by the developers' guidelines. He came out on top and got the most out of the game to suit his own liking.

I can see that view point to a point but I think as soon as that person decides to go into tournament or online play- especially without outing themselves move into the very wrong territory.

btkadams

k so looking online at the pokemon-gts.net it shows someone with a male squirtle wanting a charmander. i put then deposited my charmander and put it as seeking a male squirtle.

does it just find him automatically and trade them for us?

btkadams said:
k so looking online at the pokemon-gts.net it shows someone with a male squirtle wanting a charmander. i put then deposited my charmander and put it as seeking a male squirtle.

does it just find him automatically and trade them for us?
No. It doesn't. What you're supposed to do when the search comes up is hit the "Trade" button. You can pull a pokemon out of your party (or out of a box) and trade right away.

Your Charmander is going to sit there until someone finds your trade notice and decides to want to trade with you.

upandaway

Hex said:
I can see that view point to a point but I think as soon as that person decides to go into tournament or online play- especially without outing themselves move into the very wrong territory.
I'm not so sure about that. I think the problem lies with his opponents, who refuse to admit that he invests less in the game than them, and force him to invest the same amount in order to battle them.

In the end, they lose, because he may be someone to enrich their experience with the game as well, regardless of how he reached that point. If they could make up with the fact he can (or rather, cannot do the opposite) set up in an easier way than them, everyone will gain from it.

Maximus.

Took two tries, but finally caught Ho-oh! It wiped out 2 of my pokemon with no hp left. Kept killing my Gengar. Eventually was left in a stand still of healing my Gengar everytime it used extrasensory or whatever its called. Finally had enough after 20 hyper potions, used hypnotize with 18hp left and threw a ultra ball. Caught the motherfucker! 15 ultra balls, 20 hyper potions and 2 revives is what it cost me to catch it :lol

btkadams

No. It doesn't. What you're supposed to do when the search comes up is hit the "Trade" button. You can pull a pokemon out of your party (or out of a box) and trade right away.

Your Charmander is going to sit there until someone finds your trade notice and decides to want to trade with you.
that's so stupid ugh. i wish they had made this system a bit smarter.

Wiseblade

My opinion it that I don't really care about what people want to do with their game, but people using external devices should forfeit the privilege to play with other people. I don't condemn RNGing or the like (hell, I emerald clone master balls and rare candies...) since that's all done using the mechanics of the games.

Echoes

There's something wrong with the game. I'm in the Battle Frontier farming BPs. I used Crunch on Mime Jr. and it missed. The hell? How come Crunch misses at the start of a battle?

Could use some feedback on which direction to go/purge with my team (really just concerned with single player with them for the moment):

Gastly (lvl 29): hypnosis, confuse ray, night shade, shadow ball
--waiting 'til 33 and dream eater before hitting the evolutions

Pikachu (lvl 22): thundershock, nasty plot, wish, thunderwave
--waiting on thunderbolt to evolve

Heracross (lvl 27): leer, horn attack, brick break, aerial ace
--no real plans for this one. it just wrecks things.

Croconaw (lvl 20): bite, leer, cut, surf
--got it from the GTS, came with the 2 HMs on it and I can't delete them yet. Is somewhat of a half HM slave at this point unfortunately, due to the stupid cut.

Quilava (lvl 28): quick attack, flame wheel, Smoke Screen, Ember
--no direction for this one, but I'm fond of my starter.

Togetic (lvl 35): headbutt, wish, extrasensory, yawn
--will evolve when I get the stone for it and focus on SpA and flinching.
-------------

Alternatives I can breed and train up: larvitar, beldum, eevees with things I can find the stones for, dratini, chikorita, gen 1 starters.

upandaway

Echoes said:
There's something wrong with the game. I'm in the Battle Frontier farming BPs. I used Crunch on Mime Jr. and it missed. The hell? How come Crunch misses at the start of a battle?
Welcome to the Battle Frontier!

larvi

Veitsev said:

In my opinion RNG abuse is no different than memorizing AI patterns to gain an upper hand in fighting, platform and other arcade type games. And that's certainly something mos video gamers do.

Echoes said:
Gecko! I'm in a battle now. Will you be here after, say, 15 to 30 minutes? I wanna give you the item I promised.
Sorry man, didn't realise you would reply. I can be on now if you aren't busy.

Also in concern with the Battle Frontier, I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed that the CPU cheats quite a bit when it comes to different moves hitting and/or h@x effects such as your Pokemon flinching 3 times in a row. Pretty much a bullshit way to increase difficulty in my opinion but whatever...

EDIT: Protip @ Zod: Dream Eater actually sucks balls. I'd opt for something like Thunder or Substitute on a potential Gengar instead.

Kyzer

Banned
Pokemon Move Breeding

1) You can transfer moves that the offspring would learn naturally through leveling (for example, passing on Crunch to a baby Shinx) only if BOTH PARENTS know the move.

2) TMs and HMs are passed on by the father, as long as the offspring can learn those TMs anyway.

3)Egg moves only require the father to know.

larvi

Echoes said:

It's called the opponent holding brightpowder/lax incense and happens all of the time. Just wait until Walrein gets quick claw activation and sheer cold hits all 3 pokemon as happened to me in emerald:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=421zKQJ_cOI

Echoes

Dear lord. Battle Frontier guys are cheaters :lol Thanks for the info larvi!

Gecko, I'll be on in a minute. FC 4984 7134 0994, I have yours.

Johann

Speaking of all this shiny hunting, I've just hatched a shiny Gible. I can't wait to see it's thoughtful and artistic pallete swap in the Garchomp stage!

Could someone let me know what they think of these builds?:

Feraligatr

Waterfall
Crunch
Screech/Dragon Dance/Superpower/Earthquake (can't decide, can I get Dragon Dance and Ice Punch on the same Feraligatr?)

A lot of people think of Feraligatr as a poor man's Gyarados but I think it can do just fine. It's got access to Ice Punch, which is stronger and more accurate than Ice Fang (it does lose the flinch chance). I'm not particularly fond of Crunch since it's only Super Effective on Ghosts and Psychic types. These types are usually pretty frail (Crunch's defense drop rarely comes into play) and will fall to Feraligatr's other attacks without difficulty. I prefer good ole Earthquake or Superpower (on a non DD/SD build) due to their type coverage.

You can egg move Dragon Dance on Totodile through a Dragonair/nite parent and teach it Ice Punch through a Battle Frontier move tutor.

Ampharos

Signal Beam
Power Gem
Thunderbolt
Thunder Wave

I prefer Megnemite/ton to Ampharos. It's got a slightly better special attack and the Steel-typing is a godsend (over a dozen resistances + potential ground-type immunity On Magneton) once you get into Dragon territory, especially against Kingdra. However, it's a one-trick pony with a limited arsenal of attacks. Ampharos has a better variety of moves and type-coverage. It's only later in the game that Magneton and its resistances can give you a major edge over the game's strongest opponents. I'd suggest you consider Magneton if you hope evolve it into a Magnezone in D/P/Pt and bring it back over. However, you can't do wrong with Ampharos and those moves you selected.

If you're looking for more Pokemon, Heracross is absolutely amazing due to its extraordinary attack and great type-coverage. Several Gym leaders and some Elite Four members are weak to one or more of its attacks. Murkrow is useful as the designated flyer/Psychic-killer and can keep pace with the others in just its Stage 1 evolution. While it may sound redundant with Feraligatr, a Gyarados can ease Feraligatr's burden and add another Ice-move user to your team.

Veitsev

All those examples are still expolits. You can call them whatever allows you to justify using them but they are still exploits. Now if you want to take this approach for the single player game...whatever. I personally think using it to get shines falls under this . Its purely cosmetic. If its not going to affect anyone and just makes your life easier then who cares right? However, just because something is in game doesn't make it right. If I am playing an online shooter and I am using an exploit (thats in the game) to go under the map am I not cheating? Now if me and my friends agree to do this and just have fun that one thing. If we are exploiting game mechanics and both sides agree to it no harm no foul. If two parties agree to using RNG abused pokemon then thats their decision.

However if you are playing online (and using it to get perfect IV pokemon for example) all it does is give you an unfair advantage over other players. Not disclosing that information is very unfair. Play between two humans is a totally different beast than the single player game. The exploits you mentioned really don't affect online play and I don't really have a problem with them. For example I have no problem whatsoever with people in this thread using that PC->GTS exploit to acquire Pokemon that they could only get by visiting a Toys r' Us or Gamestop. Who cares if they are just trying to fill out their pokedex?

larvi said:
In my opinion RNG abuse is no different than memorizing AI patterns to gain an upper hand in fighting, platform and other arcade type games. And that's certainly something mos video gamers do.

Not really comparable. You memorizing AI patterns isn't having an affect on another human player. I have an issue with using RNG to generate perfect pokemon. Using something like that in an online environment without disclosure is pretty wrong.

That said lets not shit up the thread for pages debating this and just leave it here. Both sides have justifiable opinions in one way or another.

Veitsev

On the topic of Battle Frontier cheating I really wish Nintendo would move away from all this rubberbanding-esqe shit in their games. It be nice to have a smart AI instead of one that just cheats to make things more difficult.

Veitsev

thefil said:
Is there any way to check a newly hatched Pokemon's IVs without having 50 or so Rare Candies?

You can do an IV battle and check them that way. If you want to check a large batch at one time its easy to just do a level 100 battle with a friend and right down all the stats.

Gravijah

I don't really care about stuff like RNG and stuff as long as everyone knows. If someone doesn't want to play with someone that's their right, though. I know I hacked in some of the tickets to get Arceus and such on my Pearl years back (don't have an AR anymore) and if I were to ever trade one to someone, I'd let them know.

Top Bottom