• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

JosM88 said:
I'm also looking for the TM move "facade". I'd love it if anyone has that move up for trade.
I'm currently grinding E4, so I'm not able to trade right now.

"Facade(TM42) can be found at Goldenrod Department Store lottery (Friday only)"...

I never knew there was a lottery at the Dept Store!?

Gravijah

Metroid Killer said:

"Facade(TM42) can be found at Goldenrod Department Store lottery (Friday only)"...

Yes! ... And you can cheat it. :lol

Which floor? what can you win(besides the awesome TM42)?

See, even when browsing bulbapedia and serebii like crazy there's soo much stuff in this game that you are bound to miss something.

Fewr

Could someone please recommend a pokewalker course where I could get stuff to sell and make decent money?

(I still haven't finished the main quest)

OMG Aero

Metroid Killer said:
Which floor? what can you win(besides the awesome TM42)?

See, even when browsing bulbapedia and serebii like crazy there's soo much stuff in this game that you are bound to miss something.
It's the top floor of the department store. So far I have only won one TM from it which was Flash Cannon.

Gravijah

upandaway said:
You can who now?

You mean soft resetting? That's still slim to none.

The lottery at the Dept. Store isn't as hard to get as the one in the Radio Tower, though. And you can do it more than once a day, iirc.

Fewr said:
Could someone please recommend a pokewalker course where I could get stuff to sell and make decent money?

(I still haven't finished the main quest)
Night Sky Edge

I had to throw away a ton of Rare Bones(worth 5000) when I was searching for TM29 (Psychic). There are also Moon Stones(1000), Pearl(700), Stardust(1000) and Star Pieces (4900).

You need to walk 5000 steps for all the items above to available, you also need a Jirachi in order to open the course.

Metroid Killer said:
Ahh, the old grinding method. I must've gone through at least 200 rounds with the E4 to get my pokes to level 100.:lol
Metroid Killer said:

I knew that there was a lottery there, but I didn't know that you could win facade there. I don't know any cheats or hacks to manipulate the outcome so I guess I don't have much chance there...

TO EVERYONE ELSE
I'll be available for online battles after 5:30pm(EST) today. I want to try my team out in a real competitive battle.

suikodan

I have previous Pokemon games with a fairly good amount of Pokemon obtained.

How can I

- Transfer from Diamond version to SoulSilver?
OR
- Transfer from Emerald to SoulSilver?

Thanks!

Echoes

MK, since you don't EV-train (yet), how come you spent 300 hours without getting all the badges, etc? I'm really amazed! :D

I'm currently 110 hours with 193 pokes. All badges, all(?) obtainable legendaries except for Lati@s (Lugia, Ho-oh, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Zapdos, Moltres, Articuno, Mewtwo, Giratina from Arceus event). What amazes me is that even after finishing the main quest (16 badges + Red + legendaries) there is still a lot of awesome things you can do.

I plan to catch them all this time, so yeah, I'm coming right after you MK! :lol

Edit: to the poster above me; you can transfer to DS games right after the first badge (online) or right after getting your pokedex (local). You can transfer from GBA games after arriving to Kanto. The pal park is located at Fuschia City.

I've got a few questions about my Dragonite and Typhlosion's movesets:

Typhlosion lvl 58, best at Sp.At:

- Earthquake
- Flamethrower
- Eruption
- Blast Burn

I want to get rid of either Eruption or Blast Burn, only that I don't know which one should I make him forget. On one hand, Eruption's accuracy is higher (100% vs 90%), but on the other hand, it won't be very useful it Typhlosion's HP are low. Blast Burn's "only" handicap is that it prevents you from doing anything in the following turn, but it's as effective even if you are 10 HP left. I think I'll get rid of Eruption, but I'd like you guys who know the game better than me to give me some advice on this.

Whenever I make my mind, what move should I teach him instead of the erased one?

Now, about the Dragonite. Lvl 56, best at Attack.

- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Rush

He's about to learn Outrage, and I don't know what move should I make him forget. Surf comes in handy, as I don't have much else against fire types besides Typhlosion's Earthquake and I don't like traveling with HM slaves. Dragon Dance is out of the question, as is Ice Beam if I want to stand a chance against Lance. So, choice is between Surf and Dragon Rush. What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Axis

Minister of the Dog said:
Now, about the Dragonite. Lvl 56, best at Attack.

- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Rush

He's about to learn Outrage, and I don't know what move should I make him forget. Surf comes in handy, as I don't have much else against fire types besides Typhlosion's Earthquake and I don't like traveling with HM slaves. Dragon Dance is out of the question, as is Ice Beam if I want to stand a chance against Lance. So, choice is between Surf and Dragon Rush. What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

outrage>dragon rush...especially for dealing with lance.

upandaway

Minister of the Dog said:
I want to get rid of either Eruption or Blast Burn, only that I don't know which one should I make him forget. On one hand, Eruption's accuracy is higher (100% vs 90%), but on the other hand, it won't be very useful it Typhlosion's HP are low. Blast Burn's "only" handicap is that it prevents you from doing anything in the following turn, but it's as effective even if you are 10 HP left. I think I'll get rid of Eruption, but I'd like you guys who know the game better than me to give me some advice on this.
You do not want to have 10HP and miss a Blast Burn.
You just don't.

Also, you can go Eruption for the first half of your HP, then switch to Flamethrower later on. Typhlosion's ability makes it so Flamethrower will grow stronger when he's in the red, and be close to as strong as Blast Burn (142 as opposed to 150).

Edit: Also I think Thunderbolt will work better on Dragonite (against Ice Beam). You've got Dragon and Ground covered, so you're switching grass effectiveness to water effectiveness, which is the better type to be strong against.

Echoes said:
MK, since you don't EV-train (yet), how come you spent 300 hours without getting all the badges, etc? I'm really amazed! :D

I'm currently 110 hours with 193 pokes. All badges, all(?) obtainable legendaries except for Lati@s (Lugia, Ho-oh, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Zapdos, Moltres, Articuno, Mewtwo, Giratina from Arceus event). What amazes me is that even after finishing the main quest (16 badges + Red + legendaries) there is still a lot of awesome things you can do.

I plan to catch them all this time, so yeah, I'm coming right after you MK! :lol
I have this habbit with RPGs that once I beat the maingame I lose the interest in game+ stuff, HGSS seems to an exception already(with spending several weeks not even advancing the main game in any way), but I'm taking my time just in case.

I'm up on 13 badges now after 450hours, and I defintely do run a risk of playng this excessively(right now I'm grinding a lvl 8 ponyta up to lvl 40 just to get a Rapidash for the pokedex... even knowing that there are several easier ways).

My motivation seems to be: Main plot(badges and Red), Pokedex, Legendaries and this thread.

And I plan on doing some EV training once I beat Red, I just hope I'll make it in time for the tournament.

Edit: Also 5th box full of charmanders didn't yield any shiny... I think I'm gonna try 2 more boxes throughout the rest of the week and if I still don't have a shiny charmander by then, I'll give up.

upandaway

Metroid Killer said:
Edit: Also 5th box full of charmanders didn't yield any shiny... I think I'm gonna try 2 more boxes throughout the rest of the week and if I still don't have a shiny charmander by then, I'll give up.
And I haven't even started yet. But sure, I'll take less competition.

suikodan said:
I have previous Pokemon games with a fairly good amount of Pokemon obtained.

How can I

- Transfer from Diamond version to SoulSilver?
OR
- Transfer from Emerald to SoulSilver?

Thanks!
From Diamond to SS, you need 2 DSs. You can either, trade directly, or trade to someone and then trade back.

As for Emerald, there is a Pal Park to "import" that way.

Echoes

Ow shit.

Shuckle (PKRS) + Power Belt (Def). I just killed Mr. Mime by accident. DAMN! So, are the EVs going to be: 4 SpDef (2 from Mime * 2 from PKRS) / 8 Def?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm around for some battles if anyone wants to play.

Echoes said:
Ow shit.

Shuckle (PKRS) + Power Belt (Def). I just killed Mr. Mime by accident. DAMN! So, are the EVs going to be: 4 SpDef (2 from Mime * 2 from PKRS) / 8 Def?
Yeah.

How do you guys organize your PC boxes? I guess it depends on how you play the game, but I could defintely use a few more boxes to make it easier.

I'm trying to get a complete pokedex, with the goal being to have the highest evolution of all families.

Box 1: Currently selected Pokemon that needs work in some way (grind to evolve, trade to evolve etc.)
Box 2: Pokemon level 1-4
Box 3: Pokemon level 5-9
Box 4: Pokemon level 11-14
Box 5: Pokemon level 15-19
Box 6 & 7: Pokemon level 20-29
Box 8: Pokemon level 30-39
Box 9: Pokemon level 40-49
Box 10: Party pokemon and utility pokemon (My Johto and Kanto party are here when not using them) Should actually switch places with Box 1 now that I think about it...
Box 11: Chaaaaaaaarmanderrrrrr! The 5th box full of Charamanders
Box 12: Dittos to spare (10 left)
Box 13: Ditto of all natures and 7 baby pokemon... for some reason I wanna collect all the babies...
Box 14: Empty
Box 15: Full of trash vendor
Box 16: Legendaries, shinies and special pokemon
Box 17: Trade pokemon, too good to throw out since other people might need them.
Box 18: Pokemon from other people to increase my chances in the Radio Tower lottery.

So yeah my boxes are kinda organized right now. I defintely need to change the way I have the first 10 boxes as it changes all the time when grinding various pokemon so they evolve. Maybe I should sort them by pokedex instead of level?

Oh wow. I totally lucked out on Claire. :lol

Her Kingdra OHKO'd my Murkrow and Raticate got one attack off before being finished off. I brought my Meganium, Body Slam and Magical leaf before I said "fuck it" and used Petal Dance figuring I would die. Kingdra hits me down to 1HP, I continue Petal Dance. It uses a berry. It's next two attacks miss, and I finish it off enough with Petal Dance. :lol

upandaway

Metroid Killer said:
How do you guys organize your PC boxes? I guess it depends on how you play the game, but I could defintely use a few more boxes to make it easier.
1: #1-30
2: #31-60
17: #481-493 + utility
18: Unown (alphabetically)

At some point I will transfer all my utility/team Pokemon to my Silver, and close off my Platinum with all 493 Pokemon and 5-star trainer card. After playing through Platinum twice and through Pearl 4 times, I don't think I will replay the single player in a long long while.
My goal is that all the special/single player Pokemon will replace the normal ones in my boxes. I think I'll keep the notch-eared Pichu handy in the Unown box though.

Edit: Why does my Linoone not pick up anything? He has Pickup, level 41, and I went through like 6 battles with him and he picked up nothing. My Phanpy picked up items after both times I was in a battle.
Does Pickup not work if my Linoone's doing the battle?

upandaway

Nothing better than the feeling of selecting a sure-kill attack, going to the bathroom, and coming back to see you with the "switch or flee" message and your opponent with 1 hp left.

Kyzer

Banned
upandaway said:
1: #1-30
2: #31-60
17: #481-493 + utility
18: Unown (alphabetically)

At some point I will transfer all my utility/team Pokemon to my Silver, and close off my Platinum with all 493 Pokemon and 5-star trainer card. After playing through Platinum twice and through Pearl 4 times, I don't think I will replay the single player in a long long while.
My goal is that all the special/single player Pokemon will replace the normal ones in my boxes. I think I'll keep the notch-eared Pichu handy in the Unown box though.

Edit: Why does my Linoone not pick up anything? He has Pickup, level 41, and I went through like 6 battles with him and he picked up nothing. My Phanpy picked up items after both times I was in a battle.
Does Pickup not work if my Linoone's doing the battle?

2 battles is not enough to determine that lol

They just dont pick stuff up THAT often.

upandaway

Kyzer said:
2 battles is not enough to determine that lol

They just dont pick stuff up THAT often.
Yeah actually right after I edited that I got two Rare Candies in a row.

This thread is fucking magical with these things.

Tip: Post here about how you're not getting any shiny Charmanders!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Metroid, you around? I still need a ditto.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Metroid Killer said:
^Yup I can trade you a ditto now
Good deal, inviting a trade now, jump in whenever you're ready.

Echoes

I would love to say what I got but I'd be assassinated at this point so ummm yeah no.

I've been awake for 24 hours. My god this game is addicting as hell. Gonna sleep now for 12 hours :lol then go to work and grind there.

Wizpig

Metroid Killer said:
I'm up on 13 badges now after 450hours, and I defintely do run a risk of playng this excessively(right now I'm grinding a lvl 8 ponyta up to lvl 40 just to get a Rapidash for the pokedex... even knowing that there are several easier ways).
My hat's off to you sir.

^I don't know really... It's borderline something not healthy at this point :lol

Echoes said:
I would love to say what I got but I'd be assassinated at this point so ummm yeah no.
Which one? You can put the name in spoiler brackets ;-)

hmmm I don't see you in the Union Room LiQuid...?

LiQuid!

Metroid Killer said:
^I don't know really... It's borderline something not healthy at this point :lol

hmmm I don't see you in the Union Room LiQuid...?
I see you in mine. Says you're on standby. Stop standing by. :p

Just started a new trade request. Give it another go?

Sixfortyfive

Taking care of business:

Articuno - Timid - 31/31/31/30/30/31 (Hidden Power Ground 70)
Zapdos - Timid - 31/31/31/31/31/31
Moltres - Modest - 31/31/30/30/31/31 (Hidden Power Grass 70)
Suicune - Bold - 31/7/31/30/31/31 (Hidden Power Electric 70)

Premier Balls used up to this point: 174

It doesn't currently bother me that I forgot to get a good Hidden Power for Zapdos, but I've got a feeling that it will later.

joelseph

upandaway said:
Nothing better than the feeling of selecting a sure-kill attack, going to the bathroom, and coming back to see you with the "switch or flee" message and your opponent with 1 hp left.

My last pokemon, I had a surf queued up to kill Lance's last pokemon and he flinched me and I died next round.

LiQuid!

Sixfortyfive said:
Taking care of business:

It doesn't currently bother me that I forgot to get a good Hidden Power for Zapdos, but I've got a feeling that it will later.
You are diseased. :lol

LiQuid! said:
I see you in mine. Says you're on standby. Stop standing by. :p

Just started a new trade request. Give it another go?
Argh it did this with my last trade as well, I had to leave and enter again in order to see the other person... Why this change.

Edit: Great now a wifi error

Echoes

Metroid Killer said:
Shiny Crobat from a trade, will post pics tomorrow as I'm doing the trade tomorrow. Please don't kill me upandaway please!

Wow :lol

Posting this in advance then
u-mad1.jpg

Damn wifi! Sorry LiQuid

LiQuid!

Metroid Killer said:
Damn wifi! Sorry LiQuid
No worries. I gotta get ready to go to work and can try again in about 45-60 minutes (cause yeah, I play Pokemon at the office). Lemme know if your wifi gets fixed in the mean time.

Wizpig

Sixfortyfive said:
Taking care of business:

AshKetchum31.gif

Can I ask you guys something anyway?
Where did you get those cool avatars like this one?

24q8ui0.jpg

Also, am I the only one playing with animations off?
First game I'm playing like this, I was getting sick of slow battles, and the animations are like the same stuff from R/S.
And I also played through D/P/P with animations on...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wizpig said:
AshKetchum31.gif

Can I ask you guys something anyway?
Where did you get those cool avatars like this one?

24q8ui0.jpg

First game I'm playing like this, I was getting sick of slow battles, and the animations are like the same stuff from R/S.
There was a thread a while back where someone linked to a giant like...poster thing of a ton of them.

FAKE EDIT: Found it: http://blog.livedoor.jp/agraphlog-asamegraph/temp/pokehyaku.html

Sixfortyfive

Wizpig said:
I keep animations on until I'm completely done with the main singleplayer stuff. Once it gets to the point where all I'm doing is Battle Frontier and EV training, they go off and stay off.

LiQuid!

Hey Metroid Killer. I just got to the office and started up a new trade, if it's no bother you wanna just try again periodically in case your wifi starts working?

LiQuid!

Un question mi amigos. Is slugma/magcargo the only pokemon that helps eggs catch faster? If so, I think I'm pretty close to where I can catch them in SS, just wanna make sure I need to.

LiQuid!

Jet Grind Radio! said:
All of this Charmander breedin' is making me disappointed everytime I see it's little face pop out of that egg. :(
Hate? Charmander? Once you've become desensitized to its awesomeness I think it might be time to throw in the towel! If the price you have to pay for a shiny charmander is to gain a disdain towards them, I think that might be too great a cost! :lol

Top Bottom