• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

jman2050

Hex said:
God damn it, I killed Raikou accidentally
How do I get another shot at him.

Edit: Nevermind, I just reset to before the fight and will try again another time.

The roaming legendaries (and Ho-Oh and Lugia for that matter) are respawned when you defeat the Elite Four. Incidentally, I also believe this is the only way to reroll their natures/IVs

Fusebox

Banned
Is the Pokethlon the only way to get a Shiny Stone? I only earn around 350 points per event and don't feel like doing 10 events to get my stone. :(

Also I evolved my Onix into a Steelix, I love the fact he's so big he can't walk around indoors, same as my Ho-oh. Are there many other Pokes that are too big to walk inside?

Maximus.

I just beat the elite four! Took 38 minutes, but I am happy I did it. Completed on first try, destroyed the first 4 members, but Lance gave me a bit of trouble. I was gambling, since I didnt save the game at all during the whole thing :lol Gyarados was a life saver and a few lucky misses on Lances part let me beat him.

my team:

Red Gyarados: lvl 44
Typhlosion: lvl 43
Gengar: lvl 44-leveled from 42 to 44 throughout elite four
Alakazam-lvl 43
Scyther-lvl43
meganium-lvl 35 - regretted bringing it instead of hooh

Fusebox said:
Is the Pokethlon the only way to get a Shiny Stone? I only earn around 350 points per event and don't feel like doing 10 events to get my stone. :(

It seems like it.

The strength ones are pretty easy but after all three events they give added points for stupid bullshit things like "Tried the hardest" or some other crap so if you win all 3 events sometimes you don't get first place overall.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Been breeding charmanders all day. Three boxes full. It looks like so much and it feels like so much work, and then thinking it's not even 100 when I could potentially do THOUSANDS of these things and not get a shiny... Kinda depressing. How do people do this?

LiQuid! said:
Been breeding charmanders all day. Three boxes full. It looks like so much and it feels like so much work, and then thinking it's not even 100 when I could potentially do THOUSANDS of these things and not get a shiny... Kinda depressing. How do people do this?
Patience and perseverance. Although, I plan to quit after two boxes full, currently have 20/30 on one box.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wait I have a Japanese Charmander from Metroid Killer, that could possibly be good for getting a shiny right? :3

Not that I'd enter this contest or anything...

Hex

Banned
Does anyone know if there is any way (other than Keyhole TV) to watch Pokemon Sunday, especially older ones?

Mush

So I was randomly browsing Smogon and read that breeding carries over IV's. Does that mean all I need to do is get a 31/31/31/31/31/31/31 Ditto and I'll have near perfect Pokemon?

Mush said:
So I was randomly browsing Smogon and read that breeding carries over IV's. Does that mean all I need to do is get a 31/31/31/31/31/31/31 Ditto and I'll have near perfect Pokemon?
Nope. Half a baby's IVs are randomly chosen from among the parents' IVs. Thus:

Male Farfetch'd 1/2/3/4/5/6, Female Skitty 7/8/9/10/11/12

Resultant Skitty has IVs of:

1/16/30/21/11/12

Or something like that.

Fraull said:
meganium-lvl 35 - regretted bringing it instead of hooh
Meganium actually sucks. I regretted how he turned out since as Chikorita/Bayleef he was pretty competent but as I got further and further into the game he seemed to lose his charm and power. He's really only good as a support pokemon IMO unless specifically EV trained otherwise.

In other news, been breeding and farming the elite four like MK has before I move on to Kanto badges. I really need to get my hands on a Japanese ditto just to do the Masuda method; I've got charmanders I can breed but ideally I'd love to have a shiny eevee or electrode.

Maximus.

Blue_Gecko said:
Meganium actually really sucks. I regretted how he turned out since as Chikorita/Bayleef he was pretty competent but as I got further and further into the game he seemed to lose his charm and power. He's really only good as a support pokemon IMO unless specifically EV trained otherwise.

yea I agree. Weak set of pokemon. The only reason I used it was because i previously trained it and its my next highest level other than my main set and Hooh. Normally it isnt on my team and now I finally got a Dratini, so im leveling it up to get a Dragonite.

cdyhybrid

Can anyone hook Machine up with a Jirachi? He let me borrow it for a second to unlock the Pokewalker course and he got disconnected when we traded back, and now it's gone (he has a copy of my Steelix that I traded over as collateral, but I also have the Steelix in my game).

I beat the
Kimono Girls
and I'm currently traversing the Bell Tower. I'm a bit annoyed at how long it's taking, and there don't seem to be any good Pokémon in there. Just Rattata and Gastlies.

Jet Grind Radio! said:
I beat the
Kimono Girls
and I'm currently traversing the Bell Tower. I'm a bit annoyed at how long it's taking, and there don't seem to be any good Pokémon in there. Just Rattata and Gastlies.
Wait a minute!
How do you fight the Kimono Girls? I've hit a wall at the Steel gym and haven't triggered that event.

SaintZ

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Wait a minute!
How do you fight the Kimono Girls? I've hit a wall at the Steel gym and haven't triggered that event.
After you beat Clair go to Ecruteak and they will be waiting for you at the theater to test you.

Clair is the Steel gym leader, right? I've gotta get me some fighting and/or fire moves on my three-pokemon team.
You don't fight any other trainers the steel gym because they already battled you in the lighthouse, and she only has 3 pokemon, the strongest being Steelix which even then has shitty moves

EDIT:

Whoops. Yeah she's not the steel-one, she's the dragon lady. The steel gym leader is Jasmine I think.

Harpuia

FUCK WHY. I was one pokemon from beating red, his blastoise was down to a little below half HP. With my choice specs Ampharos and Thunder, there was NO way I could've lost if blastoise got in a blizzard. So it comes down to Ampharos vs. Blastoise..he uses blizzard..and he freezes Ampharos..sending all chances of me winning down the shitter. ;-;

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Colkate said:
Chances of parent IV's going to the child

Also, Power Items (power anklet/bracer etc) can be used to guarantee the passing down of one specific IV.
pokemon-1.jpg

sorry, I just feel like this whenever stuff like IVs and such enters the conversation. Mind you, I think this level of depth is pretty awesome

btkadams

Harpuia said:
FUCK WHY. I was one pokemon from beating red, his blastoise was down to a little below half HP. With my choice specs Ampharos and Thunder, there was NO way I could've lost if blastoise got in a blizzard. So it comes down to Ampharos vs. Blastoise..he uses blizzard..and he freezes Ampharos..sending all chances of me winning down the shitter. ;-;
max revive someone else. then when ampharos dies, use that other pokemon to max revive ampharos. try using thunder again.

i know it's too late, but thats what i wouldve done.

Anybody who is looking for some battles can pm me for some future bouts. I have a long way to go before I can get seriously competitive, but I enjoyed my first battle so far.

Harpuia said:

Full Restore dude...:X

Echoes

Best of luck, upandaway. It's gonna be a lonely thread without you. But we'll be waiting for you to come again. I promise you a non-RNGd shiny from me! Promise!

Going to work now. Gonna EV-train my team there so after 12~13 hours I may be up to battle someone in this thread :lol

Echoes said:
Best of luck, upandaway. It's gonna be a lonely thread without you. But we'll be waiting for you to come again. I promise you a non-RNGd shiny from me! Promise!

Going to work now. Gonna EV-train my team there so after 12~13 hours I may be up to battle someone in this thread :lol
ME ME ME!

I know I'm gonna get my ass kicked. :(

Firestorm

The_Technomancer said:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/amaster42/pokemon-1.jpg

sorry, I just feel like this whenever stuff like IVs and such enters the conversation. Mind you, I think this level of depth is pretty awesome
*cough*
*ahem*

X-Act and Peterko: Gods among Pokemen.

Oh, bugger. Ho-oh KO'd all my Pokémon. I really should grind them a bit since they are 34-38.

Edit: FUUUUUUCK. I can't go on until I capture Ho-oh, and I can't go anywhere worthwhile to grind. Goddamnit.

How hard is it to make a team that abuses rain actually work? It seems like it could be almost broken if you pokemon that can abuse the extra water damage, swift swim, the 100% thunder accuracy, and weakened fire damage.

Yea, I guess so. Does it come back at level 40, though? Or is it a higher level?

Also, I need help with my team. Raticate's a little bitch when it comes to taking hits, and Murkrow is more or less the same.

Magmar: lvl. 35
- Smog
- Fire Punch
- Ember
- Sunny Day

Raticate: lvl. 36
- Rock Smash
- Crunch
- Quick Attack
- Headbutt

Murkrow: lvl. 36
- Fly
- Night Shade
- Faint Attack
- Haze

Meganium lvl. 37
- Petal Dance
- Magical Leaf
- Body Slam
- Cut

Feraligatr: lvl. 37
- Ice Fang
- Crunch
- Surf
- Slash

Ampharos: lvl. 38
- Strength
- Cotton Spore
- ThunderPunch
- Thunder Wave

I'm thinking of replacing Murkrow with Giratina. That way I can get a different 'Mon with Fly. I'd love to replace Meganium with another Grass type, since it does kinda suck. But what other type should I replace Raticate with? What weakness/strength am I missing?

jdogmoney

Is evolving Murkrow viable? Toughen her up a bit, at least.

Failing that, Noctowl has been kind to me.

(I don't use legendaries in the campaign.)

I don't have a Dusk Stone to evolve Murkrow. I just have a Sun Stone and a Moon Stone. I would prefer to get rid of Raticate. Maybe I should evolve my Abra.

Ventron

The_Technomancer said:

To be fair, computers (and by extension, all video games) are just maths. This is just the algorithm used in game written out in mathematical form. Game Freak's programmers would've done the opposite; figure out a fair equation then program it in. That's why game programmers need *very good* maths skills.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ventron said:
To be fair, computers (and by extension, all video games) are just maths. This is just the algorithm used in game written out in mathematical form. Game Freak's programmers would've done the opposite; figure out a fair equation then program it in. That's why game programmers need *very good* maths skills.

Depends on what they're supposed to be programming.

Firestorm

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Yea, I guess so. Does it come back at level 40, though? Or is it a higher level?

Also, I need help with my team. Raticate's a little bitch when it comes to taking hits, and Murkrow is more or less the same.

-cut-

I'm thinking of replacing Murkrow with Giratina. That way I can get a different 'Mon with Fly. I'd love to replace Meganium with another Grass type, since it does kinda suck. But what other type should I replace Raticate with? What weakness/strength am I missing?
You shouldn't be having that much trouble. Does Ho-oh have Roost or Recover already? Thunder Wave it, then bring it down with Electric and Water Attacks as low as you can. Use the fighting attacks which aren't very effective as you go to the low points. Then chuck a dusk ball at night.

Teknoman said:
Why am I getting beaten by women with only one pokemon? >_<
Online or in-game?

I'm getting trounced by the Steel gym. Trainer's only got three pokemon, but I've only got three mains and none of them have anything that'll bust through Steel's defenses. It's really quite frustrating.

Online or in-game?

I'm getting trounced by the Steel gym. Trainer's only got three pokemon, but I've only got three mains and none of them have anything that'll bust through Steel's defenses. It's really quite frustrating.
No fire, water, or fighting types?

Top Bottom