• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Firestorm said:
Yes but it's amazing against Tyranitar and Rhyperior which were pretty rampant when I first made my team =P Not to mention he didn't have Surf back then. I'm trying to decide between the two now for Shoddy Battle.

Well tell me whatever works out better so I can decide. :3

Although I think having a surf Raichu (the Yellow Forest Pikachu can evolve, right??) is a kind of bragging right almost.

Echoes

What's the closest thing to a Grachomp? Salamence?

Even with Salamence, I'd lose the STAB Earthquake. Screw Smogon, I am not changing my non-legendary as long as the Battle Frontier has no problem with it.

Tyranitar's EQ deals 1/3 damage to Rhyperior (Battle 21 in BF) while Grachomp's 2/3. Screw Tyranitar.

Echoes said:
Tyranitar's EQ deals 1/3 damage to Rhyperior (Battle 21 in BF) while Grachomp's 2/3. Screw Tyranitar.
Reminds me that it's been too long since the last time I kicked Palmer's butt, damn I was having such a trouble with him in the beginning.

But now with both a battle ready Metagross and Garchomp he's easy.

effyoupalmer.gif

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Grass knot is an amazing move.

I just finally got around to finishing the E4 and oh god was it sweet bellyzard sweeping lance. I only had one salac berry that wasn't in the berry pot so it was my first time using it to see if it activated directly after a sub/drum and it worked gloriously.

Echoes

Oh my god that's an awesome pic :lol :lol :lol :lol

I want a Starmie in my team (AND the frontier!), but I'm not sure where to find a Staryu.

Biggest hole in my team: no Rapid Spinner. Man, screw this game breaking Stealth Rock! 1\2 damage to Char? My god. Stealth Rock should be banned, not Garchomp! :mad:

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Echoes said:

I want a Starmie in my team (AND the frontier!), but I'm not sure where to find a Staryu.

Biggest hole in my team: no Rapid Spinner. Man, screw this game breaking Stealth Rock! 1\2 damage to Char? My god. Stealth Rock should be banned, not Garchomp! :mad:
I could give you a staryu if you like. I have an ev trained starmie spinner for my zard and it is a match made in heaven.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Echoes said:

I caught mine on the Pokewalker.

Echoes

I'm at work :( won't be home until 7 hours. I just checked my boxes; I have a Staryu! So now I should start the breeding craziness to get a Timid one.

Thanks very much to FootNinja for the Sableye, just a JP Ditto to go now and I can start breeding for a shiny Oddish and get my favourite team back together.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I'm pretty sure they do both, but I KNOW you can everstone them. Not that starmie needs any egg moves anyway.

edit- starmie doesnt learn any egg moves, so that was simple.

Also np azure

And thank you to Metroid Killer as well for the JP Ditto, hopefully once I get further through the game I'll be able to help other people out as much as the two of you have helped me.

FootNinja said:
I'm pretty sure they do both, but I KNOW you can everstone them. Not that starmie needs any egg moves anyway.

edit- starmie doesnt learn any egg moves, so that was simple.
Ugh I'm getting all confused over breeding again! :lol

Passing down some random TM isn't the same as egg move or what?

Egg moves are moves that can only be taught by breeding, right?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Slowly making progress in this game. Had fun beating the ghost gym with my Furret and Keen Eye for the hell of it. His Gengar was basically reduced to using Hypnosis.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Metroid Killer said:
Ugh I'm getting all confused over breeding again! :lol

Passing down some random TM isn't the same as egg move or what?

Egg moves are moves that can only be taught by breeding, right?
Yea egg moves are moves only obtainable by breeding from one pokemon onto another. All of starmies moves are either TM's or level up moves passed from staryu.

FootNinja said:

Wait, you mean that if you breed two Starmies together you can stick the Everstone on one of them and have it work as if it was female? Are you sure? I thought it only worked on a Ditto if the parents were genderless.

upandaway

matrix-cat said:
Wait, you mean that if you breed two Starmies together you can stick the Everstone on one of them and have it work as if it was female? Are you sure? I thought it only worked on a Ditto if the parents were genderless.
You don't get eggs if you put two Starmies together.

This might be strange considering all the charmander and cyndaquil popularity, but does anyone here have a spare male chimchar?

I'm looking for one as a main team member.

Fake edit:

Echoes: Salamence is a ridiculous pokemon. Draco Meteor and Outrage are a death sentence and that doesn't even consider it's awesome speed stats. It's a pretty useful sweeper.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Echoes said:
Since Starmie has no egg moves, will it pass down the TMs? Or is that a no-no as well?
Well I passed ice beam down to my mudkip, so I don't really know the limitations of TM's. I assume you could pass down the tm's if the particular pokemon can learn it that way. I know certain pokemon cant learn TM's through breeding because gamefreaks hates making things convenient.

FootNinja said:
Yea egg moves are moves only obtainable by breeding from one pokemon onto another. All of starmies moves are either TM's or level up moves passed from staryu.
Gotcha, think I understand it all again. ;-)

And just to test it myself, I just passed down surf, thunderbolt and psychic down to a staryu (it wasn't timid though :( )

Echoes

Metroid Killer said:
Gotcha, think I understand it all again. ;-)

And just to test it myself, I just passed down surf, thunderbolt and psychic down to a staryu (it wasn't timid though :( )
Cool :0 I could take it from you after work and then start looking for my nature from there, so don't worry about it! :D

JosM88, I'm considering Salamence over Dragonite know, but I love Garchomp for his STAB EQ which is so awesome.

cdyhybrid

Ookami-kun said:
But won't they be difficult because they'd have better mons when I go back at E4 again?

I'm grinding on Gym leader rematches until I'm back to an appropriate level to grind the E4 rematch. Then I'll take down Red and start my next playthrough once I breed up my team :lol

A breeding question:

If I breed two Shroomish with Spore, the offspring will already know Spore when it hatches, right?

Ookami-kun said:
But won't they be difficult because they'd have better mons when I go back at E4 again?
If you can OHKO garchomp then any other level 60 pokes become instant xp fodder with two level 100's.

The E4 are great xp fodder with an EXP. share.
Echoes said:
JosM88, I'm considering Salamence over Dragonite know, but I love Garchomp for his STAB EQ which is so awesome.
I can agree with these sentiments. I'm also of the mind that those two pokes are pretty interchangeable because you'd at least have two of the same moves on each(outrage or draco meteor). You also have to keep in mind that flying types automatically have an a switch in advantage on garchomp. Earthquake is at it's best as a part of a finishing sweeper.

yonder

I'm having a hard time deciding on when to evolve my Growlithe... If I do it before level 39 I'll get the move extremespeed, but then I'll miss out on agility, heat wave and crunch. What should I do?

Also, does it matter when you evolve a pokémon stats-wise? For example, would an Arcanine that got evolved at level 50 have the same stats as if it had evolved at 35 and then levelled up till 50? Hope that makes sense.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh they're just level 60s? My Feraligatr is in 80s LOL

Which would be better then? 1st in line then switch or EXP share?

Also, when should I evolve the item-based evolution mons?

Yonn said:
I'm having a hard time deciding on when to evolve my Growlithe... If I do it before level 39 I'll get the move extremespeed, but then I'll miss out on agility, heat wave and crunch. What should I do?
You can level growlithe until he gets to level 42 so that you can learn agility and crunch. You can then evolve him quickly or trade him off to someone who can teach him heat wave using a move tutor. I've got tons of shards to use for that kind of thing. I'm pretty sure heat wave can be taught using a move tutor in HGSS too though.
EDIT:
I seriously misread your question lol. I'd give up both crunch and agility for the sake of getting extremespeed. You should be able to get heatwave from a tutor an any time as I said above though.

Yonn said:
Also, does it matter when you evolve a pokémon stats-wise? For example, would an Arcanine that got evolved at level 50 have the same stats as if it had evolved at 35 and then levelled up till 50? Hope that makes sense.
The stats of the pokemon should come out differently if they evolve at different times so I'd figure seven more levels of arcanine could make a pretty big difference. I might be wrong though.
Ookami-kun said:
Oh they're just level 60s? My Feraligatr is in 80s LOL

Which would be better then? 1st in line then switch or EXP share?

Also, when should I evolve the item-based evolution mons?
EXP. share with animations off is blazingly quick and it gives longetivity to your level 100's. I'd also recommend getting any of the necessary pokemon(if you are in the planning stages for your team) from someone else. The exp boosts are seriously priceless time savers when you're grinding your pokes to level 100.

So, is it common knowledge that the Lake of Rage dries up? Because I just went there to catch a Magikarp so I can catch every Ditto in this swarm I'm in the middle of and there was about half as much water in there as normal. There's just grass there, and a trainer and Wesley of Wednesday (I assume they were standing at the bottom of the lake). I was able to walk most of the way to the Hidden Power TM dude's house. There are a bunch of items there, too, though mostly the same old Full Restores and Max Revives. I had no idea this happened.

If this was in the original Gold and Silver and I just never noticed it then consider my mind blown.

Morokh

What do exactly the pokemon tiers represent (OU, UU, NU ... ) ?

The popularity of use, the overall strength ? what else ?

Take the example of Charizard, powerful beast overall, but listed as NU on Smogon, because of his fly type that makes him really vulnerable to Stealth rock (not sure of the english name)

I know that it involves strength in a way, but I hate the idea of only having 50 Pokemons to choose from if you're going into competitive play xD especially when it is so time- consuming to breed those little virtual things :eek:

cdyhybrid

Morokh said:
What do exactly the pokemon tiers represent (OU, UU, NU ... ) ?

The popularity of use, the overall strength ? what else ?

Take the example of Charizard, powerful beast overall, but listed as NU on Smogon, because of his fly type that makes him really vulnerable to Stealth rock (not sure of the english name)

I know that it involves strength in a way, but I hate the idea of only having 50 Pokemons to choose from if you're going into competitive play xD especially when it is so time- consuming to breed those little virtual things :eek:

http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/intro_comp_pokemon#tiers

Echoes

Got my Timid Staryu from the 2nd Egg! :lol

Would love an all-out offensive Starmie, but I'm making mine a Rapid Spinner with a Recover. Must save BellyZard at all costs!

cdyhybrid

After bouncing ideas off some people and doing some reading up on Smogon/Bulbapedia, decided to go with this team for my next playthrough (not set in stone yet, though):

Dragonite (Quiet) @ Life Orb
-Draco Meteor
-Flamethrower
-Earthquake
-ExtremeSpeed

Houndoom (Timid) @ Life Orb
-Nasty Plot
-Dark Pulse
-Flamethrower
-Will-o-Wisp

Aerodactyl (Jolly) @ Focus Sash
-Rock Slide
-Stealth Rock
-Taunt
-Earthquake

Magnezone (Relaxed w/ Magnet Pull) @ Light Clay
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Discharge
-Explosion

Gallade (Adamant/Jolly) @ Choice Band
-Close Combat
-Ice Punch
-Psycho Cut
-X-Scissor

Lapras (Modest w/ Water Absorb) @ Leftovers
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Surf
-Toxic

Any thoughts/reactions/criticisms?

yonder

JosM88 said:
You can level growlithe until he gets to level 42 so that you can learn agility and crunch. You can then evolve him quickly or trade him off to someone who can teach him heat wave using a move tutor. I've got tons of shards to use for that kind of thing. I'm pretty sure heat wave can be taught using a move tutor in HGSS too though.
EDIT:
I seriously misread your question lol. I'd give up both crunch and agility for the sake of getting extremespeed. You should be able to get heatwave from a tutor an any time as I said above though.

The stats of the pokemon should come out differently if they evolve at different times so I'd figure seven more levels of arcanine could make a pretty big difference. I might be wrong though.
Okay, thanks! I'll try to evolve my growlithe as soon as possible.

Teknoman

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Online or in-game?

I'm getting trounced by the Steel gym. Trainer's only got three pokemon, but I've only got three mains and none of them have anything that'll bust through Steel's defenses. It's really quite frustrating.

in game, got stomped by the
Kimono girls
after the last johto gym fight. Probably just need to level up a little.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So, I haven't been keeping up with Pokemon at all since the 1st generation Red/Blue releases. I recently saw Pearl/Diamond on sale and decided to pick them up. I'm now hearing that this may have been a mistake, as they're the weakest entries. Are they worth playing?

EDIT: And I see that this question is pretty much complete off topic... well, does anyone have some advice anyway?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
GuardianE said:
So, I haven't been keeping up with Pokemon at all since the 1st generation Red/Blue releases. I recently saw Pearl/Diamond on sale and decided to pick them up. I'm now hearing that this may have been a mistake, as they're the weakest entries. Are they worth playing?

EDIT: And I see that this question is pretty much complete off topic... well, does anyone have some advice anyway?
Every Pokemon game released is slightly better than the one that came before it. Don't listen to anything anyone else tells you. They are nostalgia-ridden fools. :p

You should have gotten Platinum instead of D/P though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Sixfortyfive said:
Every Pokemon game released is slightly better than the one that came before it. Don't listen to anything anyone else tells you. They are nostalgia-ridden fools. :p

You should have gotten Platinum instead of D/P though.

That's what I hear. I was in the store, saw them on sale, and decided to pick them up on a whim. Platinum was not on sale, but I wouldn't have even known that Platinum was a "Director's Cut" of Diamond or Pearl. I really just started reacquainting myself with the series today.

Top Bottom