• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Maximus.

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Well, I KO'd Ho-oh already, and I used up all my Dusk Balls in my first encounter. =[

I caught Ho-oh on my first try. Use pokemon that arent supereffective and wear it down. Put the thing to sleep and throw ultra balls/heavy balls/dusk balls at it, constantly putting it back to sleep until you catch it. Make sure you heal the pokemon with sleep continuously so you dont lose the ability. It took me 10 minutes to catch Ho-oh, 15 ultra balls and 20 hyperpotions because Gengar is weak to extrasensory.

Maximus.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Online or in-game?

I'm getting trounced by the Steel gym. Trainer's only got three pokemon, but I've only got three mains and none of them have anything that'll bust through Steel's defenses. It's really quite frustrating.

why do you only have 3 mains?? If you have a lvl 28-30 fire pokemon you would easily destroy that gym, that gym was nothing for me :S

CryptiK said:
Why are you guys going on about with this breeding stuff? In English please.
shinycharmandherpantscomeoff.jpg

Anyone who wants a Japanese Ditto to make the Shiny chances better(1 in 2048 instead of 1 in 8192) can get one from me: 5156 4291 4002

Fraull said:
I caught Ho-oh on my first try. Use pokemon that arent supereffective and wear it down. Put the thing to sleep and throw ultra balls/heavy balls/dusk balls at it, constantly putting it back to sleep until you catch it. Make sure you heal the pokemon with sleep continuously so you dont lose the ability. It took me 10 minutes to catch Ho-oh, 15 ultra balls and 20 hyperpotions because Gengar is weak to extrasensory.
The big problem was Ho-oh would EASILY KO several of my Pokémon. Plus i only had like 2 Dusk Balls.

Jet Grind Radio! said:
No fire, water, or fighting types?
My Totodile has no Water-type moves at the moment (I'm holding out for Waterfall since Surf is wasted on Feraligatr and Water Gun just wasn't cutting it).

As for fighting type moves, I'm loathe to waste a TM I won't be breeding on and none of my mains can learn Fire Blast. I could try my luck trying to get a Flamethrower TM, but again, I'd have the same problem :\

EDIT: I only have three mains because I felt that's all I needed at this point in the game. Add to that the fact that I have to carry all these damn HM slaves around. I was shuffling three before I found a Farfetch'd.

My Totodile has no Water-type moves at the moment (I'm holding out for Waterfall since Surf is wasted on Feraligatr and Water Gun just wasn't cutting it).

As for fighting type moves, I'm loathe to waste a TM I won't be breeding on and none of my mains can learn Fire Blast. I could try my luck trying to get a Flamethrower TM, but again, I'd have the same problem :\
Dude. Surf is a great Water attack. If you need a fire type, I could send ya a Cyndaquil. Well, I'd have to breed it right quick. Or I can send you a Magby.

Maximus.

Jet Grind Radio! said:
The big problem was Ho-oh would EASILY KO several of my Pokémon. Plus i only had like 2 Dusk Balls.

what level are your pokemon and id recommend running down and stocking up on a large amount of heals and balls

EDIT: i used Typhlosion to weaken Hooh, since I did a good amount of damage and Hooh didnt really do much to me.

Echoes

I'm currently EV-training my first competitive team. It's not supposed to be perfect, but I want some recommendations/guidance.

Dugtrio, Arena Trap, holding either Choice Specs or Focus Sash
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace

Shuckle, holding Chesto Berry
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Rest

Togekiss, Serene Grace, holding King Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost

Not sure what to put in the other three slots. Tyranitar would be cool, but that would cripple Togekiss. Probably Charizard (DD or Belly Drum, not sure yet). Any recommendations?

Fraull said:
what level are your pokemon and id recommend running down and stocking up on a large amount of heals and balls

EDIT: i used Typhlosion to weaken Hooh, since I did a good amount of damage and Hooh didnt really do much to me.
I posted my team on the last page.
Jet Grind Radio! said:
Magmar: lvl. 35
- Smog
- Fire Punch
- Ember
- Sunny Day

Raticate: lvl. 36
- Rock Smash
- Crunch
- Quick Attack
- Headbutt

Murkrow: lvl. 36
- Fly
- Night Shade
- Faint Attack
- Haze

Meganium lvl. 37
- Petal Dance
- Magical Leaf
- Body Slam
- Cut

Feraligatr: lvl. 37
- Ice Fang
- Crunch
- Surf
- Slash

Ampharos: lvl. 38
- Strength
- Cotton Spore
- ThunderPunch
- Thunder Wave

I'm a bit higher in level now, not that it'd do anything right now anyhow.

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Dude. Surf is a great Water attack. If you need a fire type, I could send ya a Cyndaquil. Well, I'd have to breed it right quick. Or I can send you a Magby.
I actually have a Cyndaquil and several eggs (I've been breeding them to trade for other rare pokemon over GTS), but they're at level 1 and the amount of grinding it'll take to get one to level 30 makes it a little... annoying.

I guess I could grind a Machop or something...

But yeah, Surf is a special move and I really want to take advantage of Feraligatr's attack stat.

EDIT: Also, I won't be able to hop online tonight. I'm currently at work and have a family thing later on.

I actually have a Cyndaquil and several eggs (I've been breeding them to trade for other rare pokemon over GTS), but they're at level 1 and the amount of grinding it'll take to get one to level 30 makes it a little... annoying.

I guess I could grind a Machop or something...
Hmm...well I could lend you my Magmar if you really want to get through it quickly. He's 34.

Firestorm

Echoes said:
I'm currently EV-training my first competitive team. It's not supposed to be perfect, but I want some recommendations/guidance.

Dugtrio, Arena Trap, holding either Choice Specs or Focus Sash
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace

Shuckle, holding Chesto Berry
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Rest

Togekiss, Serene Grace, holding King Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost

Not sure what to put in the other three slots. Tyranitar would be cool, but that would cripple Togekiss. Probably Charizard (DD or Belly Drum, not sure yet). Any recommendations?
I think you mean Choice Band for Dugtrio. Shuckle is pretty terrible but you seem to like him so that probably works. Don't use Chesto Berry, he needs Leftovers or something.

Togekiss could use Leftovers as well unless you're using Item Clause.

Definitely don't use Tyranitar if you go Belly Drum Charizard. Sandstorm is terrible for BD Charizard :(

Jet Grind Radio! said:
I posted my team on the last page.

I'm a bit higher in level now, not that it'd do anything right now anyhow.
Did you try what I said? You should be able to do it. Remember, Paralysis means Ho-oh will always go second against your team. Have Ampharos out there first.

Firestorm said:
Did you try what I said? You should be able to do it. Remember, Paralysis means Ho-oh will always go second against your team. Have Ampharos out there first.
Um, I KO'd him right before you posted. >_>
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not really in a position to hop online at the moment.

Looks like I'll be grinding up a Machop.
Aye ye. Although, I'd probably recommend going with a Fire type. It's very useful in the next gym.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Jet Grind Radio! said:
Yeah, I destroyed the steel gym in minutes using Surf from the blue dragon/alligator thing. Seem to remember using that electric giraffe to fire off some Thunderpunch too. I don't have any high level fire pokes but those two fared pretty well. I'm pretty terrible at Pokemon in general so I'm pretty happy to get this far :D

Echoes

Uh yes, Choice Band. What breaks it for me is the fact that it locks me on one move while I have 3 other crazy-awesome moves with insane speed. As for Shuckle, I tried him couple of times and he was pretty annoying with the Toxic+Protect. I managed to Protect 3 times in a row successfully twice :lol forcing my opponent to switch in on Stealth Rock. Chesto Berry is for Rest, but I guess Leftovers would be great since he has minimal HP and Protect makes the recovery better. Of course, Skarmory is the better option here for a Stealth Rock/Spikes+Roar technique. Might replace him later.

I'll probably use BD Char, just because people don't expect to see a physical Char. My friends, at least.

Oh, and I'll be using Starmie as well.

Just one spot! Not sure what to fill it with.

upandaway

Air Slash on a Serene Grace Pokemon holding King's Rock..
You are cruel. That's just abuse at this point.

Doesn't look like Togekiss is fast enough to pull that off though.

Echoes

I just won TM 57 (Charge Beam) three times in a row in the Goldenrod Department Store! :lol

Edit: got my fourth one WTF! :lol

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
For shuckle-

Moveset EVs 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
~ Rest
~ Encore
~ Toxic
~ Knock Off / Protect / Stealth Rock

Item: Leftovers Ability: Gluttony Nature: Impish

From smogon^^

I have a question about egg breeding and natures. Everstones work on females right (50% chance to bring over their nature).

So in order to have the pokemon get the right egg move and nature, you need to make sure the father has the right move and that the mother is the right nature?

If so -_- a Jolly Ditto is one of the few Dittos I don't have(need it in japanese)

Firestorm

Echoes said:
Uh yes, Choice Band. What breaks it for me is the fact that it locks me on one move while I have 3 other crazy-awesome moves with insane speed. As for Shuckle, I tried him couple of times and he was pretty annoying with the Toxic+Protect. I managed to Protect 3 times in a row successfully twice :lol forcing my opponent to switch in on Stealth Rock. Chesto Berry is for Rest, but I guess Leftovers would be great since he has minimal HP and Protect makes the recovery better. Of course, Skarmory is the better option here for a Stealth Rock/Spikes+Roar technique. Might replace him later.

I'll probably use BD Char, just because people don't expect to see a physical Char. My friends, at least.

Oh, and I'll be using Starmie as well.

Just one spot! Not sure what to fill it with.
I know Chesto Berry is for Rest but it really isn't helpful. I like the idea of Rest / Encore / Toxic / Protect or Stealth Rock with leftovers.

Dugtrio, when he comes in, will probably kill something. He isn't someone you want to switch in as he'll take a lot of damage. He can trap the enemy and kill them which is great for a "revenge killer" after one of your Pokemon die. I'd go with Choice Band myself.

If you go Sandstorm to support Shuckle with Tyrannitar, don't use BD Charizard.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
How the heck do you get any of the Regis in any of the gen 4 games? From what I understand, you can only get them in Platinum... but you need Regigigas to do it. And to get Regigigas you need the three other Regis.
Confused01.gif

fernoca

Andrex said:
How the heck do you get any of the Regis in any of the gen 4 games? From what I understand, you can only get them in Platinum... but you need Regigigas to do it. And to get Regigigas you need the three other Regis.
Confused01.gif
Regigigas was given at a Toys R Us event last year...when you took a Diamond or Pearl cartridge. From there, you traded it to Platinum to unlock the events and so on..

upandaway

Andrex said:
Confused01.gif
Borrow someone's Regigigas, catch three Regis, give Regigigas back, catch your own Regigigas. Problem solved!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So what's better, flying or surfing Pikachu?

And Yellow Forest is a permanent route right?

Metroid Killer said:
Anyone who wants a Japanese Ditto to make the Shiny chances better(1 in 2048 instead of 1 in 8192) can get one from me: 5156 4291 4002

I'd love to take you up on that offer if you still have one available, I'm having no luck trying to find a shiny Oddish the old fashioned way. FC is 4855 9004 1361

^Sure. Battling the E4 at the moment, will send you a pm when I'm ready.
Andrex said:
So what's better, flying or surfing Pikachu?

And Yellow Forest is a permanent route right?
Yup it stays forever. I would believe that a surfing pikachu is best as it covers its only weakness.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Thanks. Awesome. :D

matrix-cat said:
Surfing. Like, a million times better.

Figured. But flying is harder to get so I second-guessed...

Surf is just an all-around awesome move.

New question: Which is better, the PBR surfing Pikachu or Pokewalker surfing Pikachu? I think the PBR one is fixed on some lame nature though...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Firestorm said:
Fly is a really bad move. Surf by default although I'm currently using Grass Knot.

Grass Knot is dependent on weight though isn't it? So it wouldn't be as awesome 100% of the time.

Firestorm

Andrex said:
Grass Knot is dependent on weight though isn't it? So it wouldn't be as awesome 100% of the time.
Yes but it's amazing against Tyranitar and Rhyperior which were pretty rampant when I first made my team =P Not to mention he didn't have Surf back then. I'm trying to decide between the two now for Shoddy Battle.

Top Bottom