• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

jman2050

Jet Grind Radio! said:
The hell? Wobbuffet is an uber?

Shadow Tag + Encore + Ridiculous HP to absorb for counter use = guaranteed kill on almost anything

EDIT - Well, except dark types cause of Mirror Coat's unfortunate typing, but he's still pretty damn broken.

jman2050 said:
Shadow Tag + Encore + Ridiculous HP to absorb for counter use = guaranteed kill on almost anything

Which is fucking hilarious :lol It's even funnier when you consider Wynaut is an Über for the same reason.

Is Garchomp still Über?

windfish

Jokey665 said:
Yeah I don't see you either. Did you enter my FC right? Are you talking to the right person? (downstairs in the pokemon center, not upstairs :þ )

just double checked everything and it should be allright...and yeah iam talking to the girl in the mi..........ahhhh there you are :D

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Are more people having trouble connecting to others? I thought it was just me. Was having trouble connecting to Metroid Killer yesterday to get a ditto, and later in the day I was trying to trade with another friend and it took us like 10 reconnects before we were able to see each other.

Hex

Banned
I really want to try the Chancey lucky egg thing but since I assume they are hard to come by which Pokemon is the best to try and turn into a thief to take them?

Echoes

Green Scar said:
Is Garchomp still Über?
Yes, and that's why I don't care much about Smogon. Anything good = banned. Double Team? Banned (Aura Sphere and many other moves walk on this shit like there's no tomorrow). Fissure (with a laughable 30% rate) banned. The hell. It's ain't fun this way IMO. No, I don't even care about DT nor OHKO moves, but the way I see it, that's ridiculous.

My personal rules are no legendaries and Poke clause. Those are reasonable.

jman2050

Hex said:
I really want to try the Chancey lucky egg thing but since I assume they are hard to come by which Pokemon is the best to try and turn into a thief to take them?

I just put it on my voltorb since that's the fastest filler pokemon I had at the moment.

Echoes said:
Yes, and that's why I don't care much about Smogon. Anything good = banned. Double Team? Banned (Aura Sphere and many other moves walk on this shit like there's no tomorrow). Fissure (with a laughable 30% rate) banned. The hell. It's ain't fun this way IMO. No, I don't even care about DT nor OHKO moves, but the way I see it, that's ridiculous.

You like Double Team? The accuracy/evasion stuff is the one bit of the game I wish Game Freak would get rid of, it's just frustrating. I'd ban it too if I were whoever makes these calls at Smogon.

jman2050

Jokey665 said:
GG windfish

Medicham is so good. I don't understand why it's NU.

I think a common misconception of Smogon's tiers is that they correlate to how good the pokemon are. It's not necessarily about that, it's more about how often they're used, which is an important distinction. I'm not privy to Medicham's particular case, but logically thinking about it, while his ability makes him a monstrous physical attacker, there are several other pokemon that are more reliable in that role, and those are typically used more often than someone like Medicham.

Echoes said:

Banning OHKO moves I guess I'm iffy on, although I suppose with stuff like lock-on and foresight around it makes sense. I guess the reward is considered TOO great for the amount of luck involved, which I don't totally agree with, but whatever.

The Evasion Clause however is totally justified. Yeah, there are a few moves that are designed for get around evasion, but consider that that's precisely the problem. If DT/Minimize were allowed, then there stands to be no logical reason for all of your pokemon to not have Swift, Aeriel Ace, Shadow Punch, etc etc. It greatly restricts the metagame and forces players to rely on a very small set of moves for reliable damage. And that's no fun.

windfish

Jokey665 said:
GG windfish

Medicham is so good. I don't understand why it's NU.

yeah i still can't believe how that thing knocked me out one by one...
too bad garchomp is uber flying pikachu did his best ...what a failure :(

Jokey665

jman2050 said:
I think a common misconception of Smogon's tiers is that they correlate to how good the pokemon are. It's not necessarily about that, it's more about how often they're used, which is an important distinction. I'm not privy to Medicham's particular case, but logically thinking about it, while his ability makes him a monstrous physical attacker, there are several other pokemon that are more reliable in that role, and those are typically used more often than someone like Medicham.
Yeah I know how the tiers work, and I know other pokemon are better than it, but a well supported Medicham is an absolute monster. I can pretty routinely get 2-4 KOs with it in a row with no set up moves. I've been using him since Gen 3 on just about every team I've ever used, and he's never let me down; and he's only gotten better in Gen 4 with the phys/spec split, imo.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pokemon that evolve using King's Rock... they don't eat it, do they? Like evolution stones are one-shot...

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Trumpet909 said:
I could whip you up a Tyranitar that knows Dragon Dance, EQ and Taunt if you want. No guarantee on IV's or Nature though.

That would be fantastic. I'm not really interested in hardcore EV training or the like, I just want to have a Pupitar for the rest of the quest line. Brilliant looking Pokemon.

I'm not sure what you want in return or what I can realistically provide, but thanks!

FC: 4125 7580 7089

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Johnlenham said:
Yeah it vanishes

Untitled-1.jpg

WHAT?!

Oh bugger. :/

Jeels

Jeels said:
Does anyone have a link to that page that tells you what to input when that guy in the Pokemon center tells you to describe him or w/e.

I know there was a page that generated the words for you.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jeels said:

Is that the same guy that customizes your player character's look when you go online?

Jeels

Andrex said:
Is that the same guy that customizes your player character's look when you go online?

I don't think so. It's the guy who gives you free pc backgrounds and eggs if you guess the correct words.

Jokey665

Pein said:
Anybody wanna battle? It'll be my first so excuse me if I'm awful.

My FC is 2150 0731 1101
Sure! I'm still tweaking my team, so the more battles I get, the better.

FC is 5026-1324-9405

OMG Aero

I have to agree with the evasion rule too. With the exception of Aura Sphere (Which only two non-legendary Pokemon learn), all unmissable moves have 60 base power. If a Pokemon can keep using double team then you are basically shutting out every Pokemon that doesn't have one of these moves.

Jeels said:
Here it is: http://www.filb.de/games/tools/aikotoba

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
fernoca said:
The current Arceus that you can use, was distributed in the US on November 2009 through Toys R Us...the other one, apparently hasn't been distributed (not even in Japan) yet.

I missed it? :(

Pein

Banned
Jokey665 said:
GG Pein

Dig was so starting to get on my nerves by the end ~_~
damn dude, you're good. GG

Anybody have a gible they wouldn't mind letting go? I tried safari zone for an hour but couldn't find one

Jeels

OMG Aero said:
I have to agree with the evasion rule too. With the exception of Aura Sphere (Which only two non-legendary Pokemon learn), all unmissable moves have 60 base power. If a Pokemon can keep using double team then you are basically shutting out every Pokemon that doesn't have one of these moves.

Here it is: http://www.filb.de/games/tools/aikotoba

Thanks. Looks like the next round of wallpapers + an egg will be out on the 9th!

Jokey665

Pein said:
damn dude, you're good. GG

Anybody have a gible they wouldn't mind letting go? I tried safari zone for an hour but couldn't find one
I can breed one for you if you don't mind waiting. Do you want it hatched or not?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I am so using a substitute + pain split Gengar in my team.

Item: Life Orb
Substitute
Pain Split
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

Natural

Just beat Jasmine with my level 25 Gyarados which i'm quite happy about. Just grinding now near the Safari Zone as I feel my team is a bit too weak to hit up the 7th Gym just yet.

Team at the moment:

Quilava: lvl 29
Gyarados: lvl 27
Ampharos(sp?): lvl 31
Pidgeotto: lvl 31
Graveller: lvl 30
Bellsprout: lvl 10 (needed a Pokemon to learn cut :lol )

Probably looking to get a Ghost/Physic type in there at some point but so far my team is shaping up nicely.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So just as a rough outline, what kind of weaknesses would a team like this have?

Surfin' Raichu
Flinchey Togekiss
Empoleon
Gyarados
Snorlax
Azumarill

Probably a huge weakness to electric moves I'm guessing... >.> I guess I've always loved water Pokemon. <3

Azumarill is variable, dunno really what to put there.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Natural said:
Just beat Jasmine with my level 25 Gyarados which i'm quite happy about. Just grinding now near the Safari Zone as I feel my team is a bit too weak to hit up the 7th Gym just yet.

Team at the moment:

Quilava: lvl 29
Gyarados: lvl 27
Ampharos(sp?): lvl 31
Pidgeotto: lvl 31
Graveller: lvl 30
Bellsprout: lvl 10 (needed a Pokemon to learn cut :lol )

Probably looking to get a Ghost/Physic type in there at some point but so far my team is shaping up nicely.
GENGAR GENGAR GENGAR

Top Bottom