• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Jokey665

Reich said:
Online atm.
Having a slight issue, I disconnected when I tried to accept your invitation; give me a moment.

EDIT: Okay, I'm on but I don't see you.
EDIT: Okay I saw you but it said you were busy and now you're gone...

Reich

Jokey665 said:
Having a slight issue, I disconnected when I tried to accept your invitation; give me a moment.

Never see you online.

Jokey665

Reich said:
Never see you online.
I keep getting either the "player is busy" or "there is no response" message when I try to accept your trade invite...

I've got a trade invite up right now, and I see you online "standing by..."

Edit: there we go. Took enough time, lol

Reich

Jokey665 said:
I keep getting either the "player is busy" or "there is no response" message when I try to accept your trade invite...

I've got a trade invite up right now, and I see you online "standing by..."

Thanks a lot.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
jman2050 said:
Gengar owns and you rarely notice his abysmal defense when you're sweeping trainers left and right.
Yeah, and he has quite a lot of awesome moves to work with.

Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Focus Blast
Pain Split
Hidden Power (usually Fire or Ice Type)
Trick
Explosion
Pain Split
Energy Ball
Substitute
Focus Punch

All of these are used in different combinations of standard movesets IIRC, and you can experiment with movesets that use stuff like Toxic, Sludge Bomb, Perish Song, Protect, Hypnosis, Destiny Bond, Nightmare, Dream Eater, Endure, Hyper Beam, even Rain Dance + Thunder.

IIRC, Alakazam has higher special attack + special defense + Speed, and even worse HP + Attack + Defense , but its ability sucks and it doesn't have access to as many awesome moves as Gengar.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Five boxes of charmanders. What the hell am I going to do with all of these things?!

Butane123

GaimeGuy said:
IIRC, Alakazam has higher special attack + special defense + Speed, and even worse HP + Attack + Defense , but its ability sucks and it doesn't have access to as many awesome moves as Gengar.
He also doesn't have immunity to ground, normal, and fighting attacks, which is really helpful.

xSL4INx

Beat Blaine this morning and now on my way to Cinnabar island to get Blue to head back to his gym so I can tear his face off with Gyarados.

After that it's time to go catch some legendaries I passed up on the way through the story and back to EV training the last 3 pokemon for my competitive team.

If anyone needs any particular Pokemon, let me know and I'd be happy to help out, whether needing to come from a Japanese cart or American cart.

Echoes

In my rules :)lol) Gengar sucks because Garchomp OHKO him with Crunch.

OMG Aero said:
I have to agree with the evasion rule too. With the exception of Aura Sphere (Which only two non-legendary Pokemon learn), all unmissable moves have 60 base power. If a Pokemon can keep using double team then you are basically shutting out every Pokemon that doesn't have one of these moves.
If we're banning moves then Stealth Rock is the most abusive move of ALL time. It cripples 50% of the Pokemons. Yeah, there is Rapid Spin, but I prefer giving Starmie Ice Beam over a useless move that becomes useful with this one only. I don't care about Toxic Spikes nor Spikes because they're good, but not too good like SR. I just battled my friend and since I didn't finish EV-train my Starmie I lost easily. Charizard went down 50% so I couldn't set up a substitute -> Belly Drum.

But then again, people will worship whatever Smogon says. I'm not an expert by any mean, not at all, and the awesome people in there know their stuff better than me (and I learned a LOT from the awesome articles in there; insane), but still.

Echoes said:
If we're banning moves then Stealth Rock is the most abusive move of ALL time. It cripples 50% of the Pokemons. Yeah, there is Rapid Spin, but I prefer giving Starmie Ice Beam over a useless move that becomes useful with this one only. I don't care about Toxic Spikes nor Spikes because they're good, but not too good like SR. I just battled my friend and since I didn't finish EV-train my Starmie I lost easily. Charizard went down 50% so I couldn't set up a substitute -> Belly Drum.

But then again, people will worship whatever Smogon says. I'm not an expert by any mean, not at all, and the awesome people in there know their stuff better than me (and I learned a LOT from the awesome articles in there; insane), but still.

TBF, the argument against DT is that it makes the game more luck-based. SR is probably the most broken move allowed in competitive play but it still takes an element of skill to remove or prevent. So it's somewhat reasonable why SR isn't seen in the same light as DT.

Also, DT isn't banned, just frowned upon.

OMG Aero

Echoes said:

Oh I agree with you about Stealth Rock, Charizard is one of my favourite Pokemon and Stealth Rock just ruins it since there are hardly any Rapid Spinners. Stealth Rock definitely needs to be nerfed next gen, either by making it require multiple layers to be put down first like Toxic Spikes or by a new Rapid Spin move that more Pokemon have access to.
The stupidest thing is Defog, the most useless HM that exists, actually removes Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes and Spikes on the opponent's side. If they fixed that it would make it a more useful HM to have and basically turn every flying type into a rapid spinner.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Stealth Rock sucks ass, but you're almost required to have it due to how overpowered it is.

Echoes

Nils said:
Stealth Rock sucks ass, but you're almost required to have it due to how overpowered it is.
Exactly.

OMG Aero & Little Green Yoda, I completely agree with both of you. I'm not defending the use of Double Team; I really don't use it, and I think it's super annoying when an opponent pulls it off couple of times while I fail to hit them every single time. The problem with Stealth Rock is that, unlike Spikes, needs to put just once and boof, you're wrecking ships and planes. As much as I love Focus Sash, I'm tempted not to use it since Tyranitar's Sandstorm ruins it, as well as SR.

I can run a pretty annoying SR lead, mind you; with Smeargle (Focus Sash). He can Spore, and if he didn't out-speed the opponent; he won't die no matter what thanks to the Focus Sash. Whether your opponent decides to switch or stay in, you will get your Stealth Rock at the very least. The next turn = Toxic Spikes, and so on; until he dies. But I don't like playing like this. Cheap. Skarmory's SR + Roar is annoying as well, and believe me when I say so, as I went against a friend who did it TWICE; in two battles.

In today's battle I was using my new shiny Shuckle, so I decided not to teach him Stealth Rock for now, and kept my Encore. Encore is pretty cool, but the absence of Stealth Rock was definitely there. Just sad.

Well, what can I do but weep.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Well I got my refurb DS Lite back from Nintendo but the touch screen seems to be tinted green. I compared it to the previous DS screen and it looks a little bit different. I'm going to give Nintendo a call tomorrow.

I also just broke down and ordered a DSi XL :lol

Echoes said:
As much as I love Focus Sash, I'm tempted not to use it since Tyranitar's Sandstorm ruins it, as well as SR.

Well, you have to admit that SR keeps Focus Sash users in check. Most people don't play with item clause - can you imagine facing teams with 6 Focus Sash users? And things like Salamence and Gyarados could very well be overpowered if they didn't lose 1/4 health nearly every time they switch in. Both of those are top tier OU with SR extremely common.

Wow. I used to be against turning off battle animations because I thought they were cool, but I tried it just so I could grind. How did I never do this before? Holy crap, this is amazing.

LiQuid! said:
Five boxes of charmanders. What the hell am I going to do with all of these things?!
I wouldn't mind doing a random trade for a Charmander, need to collect Trainer IDs for the in-game lotteries after all.

On that note, I've got loads of Pikachus from Pokewalking that I need to offload, anybody good for random trading to share Trainer IDs?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Do the legendaries/Red Gyarados change natures if you restart the game, or only if you kill them then beat the E4?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
I wouldn't mind doing a random trade for a Charmander, need to collect Trainer IDs for the in-game lotteries after all.

On that note, I've got loads of Pikachus from Pokewalking that I need to offload, anybody good for random trading to share Trainer IDs?

Reich said:
Gonna take one if u dont mind.

2278 9136 9968

Sounds good, guys.

Shin, toss me your FC.

I'm 3524-4520-4614

I'll be on right after I get Shin's code.

LiQuid!

Ok, I'll reg you and we can do it later. It'd be super helpful if you tossed me an AIM at liquid3600 when you're ready, but a PM here would suffice if I don't get hammered in the next few hours. No promises. :D

LiQuid!

Reich I saw you when I first connected but you just disappeared.

Andrex said:
Where the hell is 645 to answer my questions. None of you are helpful. T_T

<3
This is how I remember it from Platinum version, dunno if it applies here.

Pokemon that you encounter in the same spot, their stats are randomized with every encounter, so if you're dissatisfied, you can reset and encounter them again. Roaming Pokemon, on the other hand, have their stats set from the moment you initiate contact, so it's consistent with every encounter from then on. That's as far as I remember, I'm pretty sure I got something wrong.

Andrex said:
Where the hell is 645 to answer my questions. None of you are helpful. T_T

<3
The stationary legendary pokemon can have their natures influenced by restarts. I have no idea how the roamers can have their natures manipulated, if at all.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Jokey665 said:

GAH! This was happening to me last night with a friend. Anyone have any ideas, or encounter this before?

LiQuid!

The_Technomancer said:
GAH! This was happening to me last night with a friend. Anyone have any ideas, or encounter this before?
Yes. Almost every single time I'd connected for a trade there has been some kind of hiccup, delay or error. If I sit idle in the lobby too long I get disconnected and have to reconnect.

Jokey665

JosM88 said:
The stationary legendary pokemon can have their natures influenced by restarts. I have no idea how the roamers can have their natures manipulated, if at all.
The only way to change a roamers nature is to kill it and then beat the E4 again.

LiQuid!

If anybody else wants a charmander to get my trainer ID just toss me your code, I'll be F5'in while breeding for a little bit.

Echoes said:
Exactly.

OMG Aero & Little Green Yoda, I completely agree with both of you. I'm not defending the use of Double Team; I really don't use it, and I think it's super annoying when an opponent pulls it off couple of times while I fail to hit them every single time. The problem with Stealth Rock is that, unlike Spikes, needs to put just once and boof, you're wrecking ships and planes. As much as I love Focus Sash, I'm tempted not to use it since Tyranitar's Sandstorm ruins it, as well as SR.

I can run a pretty annoying SR lead, mind you; with Smeargle (Focus Sash). He can Spore, and if he didn't out-speed the opponent; he won't die no matter what thanks to the Focus Sash. Whether your opponent decides to switch or stay in, you will get your Stealth Rock at the very least. The next turn = Toxic Spikes, and so on; until he dies. But I don't like playing like this. Cheap. Skarmory's SR + Roar is annoying as well, and believe me when I say so, as I went against a friend who did it TWICE; in two battles.

In today's battle I was using my new shiny Shuckle, so I decided not to teach him Stealth Rock for now, and kept my Encore. Encore is pretty cool, but the absence of Stealth Rock was definitely there. Just sad.

Well, what can I do but weep.

My friends and i do double battles exclusively. Stealth rock has far less impact especially if we are only using 4 pokemon. 2 pokemon start on the field so they won't get hit by SR and there are far fewer substitutions.

I can see how it is very annoying in 1 on 1's but since i do double battles it is fine for me.

I will say this though. I think it is silly how much better it is than spikes or T. Spikes. SR should also require layers to be put down especially when you consider just how powerful it can be.

LiQuid!

JosM88 said:
Check your inbox.
Replied. For some reason it is telling me I've already registered your code and won't let me put it in. I know that's not true though. I've only got 7 names registered and you aren't one of them. Any idea?

Natural

GaimeGuy said:
GENGAR GENGAR GENGAR

Yep that's who I eventually want to get. I've got a low level Ghastly (lvl 16) which I could train up, but I want a lower level one. Anyone know where I can get a lower level one in the game?

Jokey665

Natural said:
Yep that's who I eventually want to get. I've got a low level Ghastly (lvl 16) which I could train up, but I want a lower level one. Anyone know where I can get a lower level one in the game?
Well, you could breed the one you have... but why is it such a big deal what level it is?

Again, does Gengar still learn moves after being trade evolved? Is it best to hold out on him till later? I need a good Psychic fighter, and currently I just have Kadabra.

Jokey665

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Again, does Gengar still learn moves after being trade evolved? Is it best to hold out on him till later? I need a good Psychic fighter, and currently I just have Kadabra.
Yeah, the trade evolutions learn moves at the same rate as their unevolved forms. I don't know if this applies to item+trade evolutions, but I know it's true for the original 4 (Alakazam, Gengar, Golem, Machamp).

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Scizor, if only for the fact that Psychic has some nonsensical weakness against Bug types! :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
This is how I remember it from Platinum version, dunno if it applies here.

Pokemon that you encounter in the same spot, their stats are randomized with every encounter, so if you're dissatisfied, you can reset and encounter them again. Roaming Pokemon, on the other hand, have their stats set from the moment you initiate contact, so it's consistent with every encounter from then on. That's as far as I remember, I'm pretty sure I got something wrong.

JosM88 said:

JosM88 said:
Check your inbox.

And there ya go Andrex. :p

Thanks guys! :D

Apparently all I have to do to get my question answered is to insult you all! :p

Natural

Jokey665 said:
Well, you could breed the one you have... but why is it such a big deal what level it is?

Ah good idea, I forgot you can breed. And there's no real reason why I prefer training Pokemon from a lower level, just seems more fun I guess :D

Top Bottom