• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
It took me about 190 Premier Balls to catch Ho-Oh. He was asleep and at 1HP every time I threw one. Struggled himself to death once.....

geeko

Stupid question, Can you link HG and SS to Pearl or diamond via WIFI or can you only go HG to HG, HG to SS, etc.

Fusebox

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
It took me about 190 Premier Balls to catch Ho-Oh. He was asleep and at 1HP every time I threw one. Struggled himself to death once.....

Damn! I must have got lucky. I caught him first go when he was awake with an ultra ball and he was at about 10%.

I enjoy Voltorb Flip for the most part. It's only when you get to Level 5 and the game doesn't give you a starting point so you tap the least likely square and it just so happens to have a Voltorb under it and you have to go straight back to Level 1 that it gets too much for me.

The problem for me isn't the minigame itself, it's the prizes. The TMs, namely Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and Flamethrower (only the most commonly used TMs in the game) are just way too fucking expensive. 10,000 coins each. I recently went back to Emerald to breed a Starmie, and when it came to buying TM 13 and 24 it cost me $160,000 and about one minute of buying coins. You can always re-earn that money with a couple of runs through the Elite 4 with an Amulet Coin, so you can pretty much get the TMs whenever you want them. In Soul Silver I have around 10,000 coins, but it's the product of hours of Voltorb flipping.

I don't mind that the slot machines are gone, and I don't mind that you can't buy coins anymore, because I like playing Voltorb Flip. But, Goddamn, why is everything so expensive? Actually, this is really an issue throughout the whole game. Why can't we just buy every TM in a store? Why do we need to grind for hours to afford one? You only ever get one Earthquake TM per game, and it's always been that way, but why? They've added the ability to go online and battle anyone at any time, but to actually put together a team you either need extensive breeding chains to get around the scarcity of the worthwhile TMs or a stock of older games to run through and collect them.

These games have replay value out the wazoo without forcing us to grind Battle Points to buy extra TM 26s or Voltorb Flip for hours to get Thunderbolts, Game Freak. What harm could it do to just let us buy the damn things? Or make TMs re-useable.

Anth0ny

matrix-cat said:
I enjoy Voltorb Flip for the most part. It's only when you get to Level 5 and the game doesn't give you a starting point so you tap the least likely square and it just so happens to have a Voltorb under it and you have to go straight back to Level 1 that it gets too much for me.

The problem for me isn't the minigame itself, it's the prizes. The TMs, namely Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and Flamethrower (only the most commonly used TMs in the game) are just way too fucking expensive. 10,000 coins each. I recently went back to Emerald to breed a Starmie, and when it came to buying TM 13 and 24 it cost me $160,000 and about one minute of buying coins. You can always re-earn that money with a couple of runs through the Elite 4 with an Amulet Coin, so you can pretty much get the TMs whenever you want them. In Soul Silver I have around 10,000 coins, but it's the product of hours of Voltorb flipping.

I don't mind that the slot machines are gone, and I don't mind that you can't buy coins anymore, because I like playing Voltorb Flip. But, Goddamn, why is everything so expensive? Actually, this is really an issue throughout the whole game. Why can't we just buy every TM in a store? Why do we need to grind for hours to afford one? You only ever get one Earthquake TM per game, and it's always been that way, but why? They've added the ability to go online and battle anyone at any time, but to actually put together a team you either need extensive breeding chains to get around the scarcity of the worthwhile TMs or a stock of older games to run through and collect them.

These games have replay value out the wazoo without forcing us to grind Battle Points to buy extra TM 26s or Voltorb Flip for hours to get Thunderbolts, Game Freak. What harm could it do to just let us buy the damn things? Or make TMs re-useable.

Agreed. I really hope they "fix" this in gen 5. It should not take that much grinding for TMs.

mmxzero

Sixfortyfive said:
Wait so you bought 1900 pokeballs, 10 at a time?

I also agree with the TM argument, it's a really annoying restriction. If GameFreak does feel the need to limit TM use for the adventure, they could unlock TM restraints once you defeat the elite four, be that unlimited use for TMs collected or for purchasing the TMs.

matrix-cat said:
Why can't we just buy every TM in a store? Why do we need to grind for hours to afford one? You only ever get one Earthquake TM per game, and it's always been that way, but why?

Probably for the same reason why there's only one of each legendary per gamesave and making them unbreedable. If they're rare, there's more of a "wow" factor to them. You're less likely to blow your hard-to-get Earthquake TM or Explosion TM on some random crap Pokemon.

Tiktaalik

matrix-cat said:
But, Goddamn, why is everything so expensive? Actually, this is really an issue throughout the whole game. Why can't we just buy every TM in a store? Why do we need to grind for hours to afford one? You only ever get one Earthquake TM per game, and it's always been that way, but why? They've added the ability to go online and battle anyone at any time, but to actually put together a team you either need extensive breeding chains to get around the scarcity of the worthwhile TMs or a stock of older games to run through and collect them.

Pokemon is really badly designed that's why

(seriously)

Really Pokemon needs more competition. It's doing a lot of things right and has been really successful, but it's also doing a lot of things wrong, though there's no one really biting on its heels to take advantage of those mistakes and make a better product.

I totally agree with you. This TM thing is silly. They need to change that in future games.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Tiktaalik said:
Pokemon is really badly designed that's why

(seriously)

Really Pokemon needs more competition. It's doing a lot of things right and has been really successful, but it's also doing a lot of things wrong, though there's no one really biting on its heels to take advantage of those mistakes and make a better product.

I totally agree with you. This TM thing is silly. They need to change that in future games.
Think about how many people buy this game. And then think about how many people do online competitive battling... that's why you can't just buy as many TMs as you want. This game is designed around the single-player experience, which is what literally 99% of the audience is centered around.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Whoah, so in the last four hours I've gotten all the Sinnoh sound Pokemon except Carnivine, which I plan on getting later today. Life is good. ^_^

Pokédex: 130

Jet Grind Radio! said:

Big Ass Ramp said:
it's not the same! :(

Well if it makes you feel any better Gyarados is a beast to use anyways and his red color is awesome. Personally, it reminds me of Red Vault. Mmmm.

I named mine Code Red. <3

CoolS

Jet Grind Radio! said:
I'm bored right now, so I'm looking through the Gen IV Pokémon, and I'm actually excited to restart Pearl again.

Or should I get Platinum?

Have you played HG or SS? If so, you won't be able to go back to Pearl. The battle system in Diamond an Pearls is really, really slow.

I was forced to turn my Gyrados into a partial HM slave since I couldn't make it forget Waterfall to teach it Whirlpool. Fuckers.

CoolS said:
Have you played HG or SS? If so, you won't be able to go back to Pearl. The battle system in Diamond an Pearls is really, really slow.
Um, yes? I plan to go with Battle Animations off since I recently found the glory of faster battles.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jet Grind Radio! said:
I was forced to turn my Gyrados into a partial HM slave since I couldn't make it forget Waterfall to teach it Whirlpool. Fuckers.

There's a move deleter in Blackthorne.

Nope, sorry! I was thinking I'd be raising a Tyranitar in the near future anyway. I suppose having it be shiny is more exciting than good nature and IVs.

Big Ass Ramp said:
Is there anyway to get a lax incense while still stuck in Jhoto?
Not unless someone trades you one. It's in Johto but you need Rock Climb to get it.
HappyBivouac said:
I suppose having it be shiny is more exciting than good nature and IVs.
Until my green adamant 30s Tyranitar (AKA Reptar) mows your manilla-colored Tar down. :D

Can anyone tell me what the most efficient method for breeding and hatching Pokemon is?

I'm trying to get a shiny female Oddish, I already have a JP Ditto to increase the chances and a Magmar to cut the number of steps to hatch. Should I be trying to build up a big stash of eggs and then hatch, or hatch a few while riding around waiting for more eggs? Is there any way I can ensure that I get a female one via a held item?

As it is I keep getting called every few seconds about a new egg and have to keep depositing half hatched eggs or hatched Pokemon which seems to be slow and inefficient.

I don't know about everything else, but have only Magmar in your party and fill the other slots with eggs. Don't pick up any new eggs till one hatches. It's not going anywhere.

Azure Phoenix said:
Can anyone tell me what the most efficient method for breeding and hatching Pokemon is?

I'm trying to get a shiny female Oddish, I already have a JP Ditto to increase the chances and a Magmar to cut the number of steps to hatch. Should I be trying to build up a big stash of eggs and then hatch, or hatch a few while riding around waiting for more eggs? Is there any way I can ensure that I get a female one via a held item?

As it is I keep getting called every few seconds about a new egg and have to keep depositing half hatched eggs or hatched Pokemon which seems to be slow and inefficient.
Female/Male ratio depends on the species. Oddish is 50/50.

The way I've been doing it is:
You've put the couple in the daycare and are ready to start breeding.
Have Magmar/Slugma as the first pokemon in your party(you need a non-egg pokemon, so you might as well make it one which speeds up the process). Drive up and down and go accept all the eggs that the old man offers. Once your party is full(got 5 eggs), ride around a little more till the old man calls you about a 6th egg. Go to the daycare deposit the 5 eggs in your party, go outside and get the egg, and then repeat the process. Once you've filled up an entire box with eggs, take out the couple from the daycare and start hatching eggs.

matrix-cat said:

This is indicative of the underlying problem throughout all of the Pokemon games; that hard work (and I do mean WORK) is emphasized/rewarded more than actual strategy and planning. The reason why Shoddy and other programs exist is because a lot of people want to cut out all that bullshit and just battle, and I don't blame them. Hell, in all of the GBC/GBA versions, I just used an Action Replay to get infinite TM's, items, and teach Pokemon egg moves to minimise the bullshit. That stuff might be part of the game, but it's a shit part of the game. I want to battle; I don't want to spend an eternity PREPARING for battle.

JMizzlin

I know nothing about this remake, so I'm interested:

Can I finally catch 'em all in HeartGold/SuperiorSilver? Or will it require something more?

God forbid I need anything past D/P/P to be able to do so.

Mr. Sam

Do all Pikachu's def./special def. suck, or did I just get unlucky? Also, I can get a Thunderstone using either the pokewalker dowsing machine or the Pokeathalon, right?

Eye Drop said:

Can I finally catch 'em all in HeartGold/SuperiorSilver? Or will it require something more?

From what I hear, you can catch a good amount of stuff in HG/SS alone.

Wichu

Mr. Sam said:
Do all Pikachu's def./special def. suck, or did I just get unlucky? Also, I can get a Thunderstone using either the pokewalker dowsing machine or the Pokeathalon, right?
Yeah, all Pikachu have bad defenses. It gets OHKOed by pretty much anything.

I know this is going to sound stupid considering the competition that is currently going on here, but if anyone needs a Charmander, tell me. It can be of use if you don't have a foreign Ditto, as my Charmander's language is not English.

I don't know how can you even try to get a shiny Charmander. I was breeding a Charmeleon trying to get a female Charmander, and it took me 27 goddamned eggs. The chances of getting a female Charmander are ~1/8, and yet...

Eye Drop said:

http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/unobtainable.shtml

There are just a few you can't get in HG/SS alone, and most if not all of them are either event Pokémon or can be found in D/P/Pt.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Eye Drop said:

As said, you can come pretty close in HG/SS. Probably the closest you can possibly come in any one game since RBY.

Which is precisely why I started trying to catch em all just with this release. :D

I currently got 390 in my pokedex and I got lots of pokemon to evolve stil. The hardest part is gonna be acquiring rare legendaries (Palkia, Dialga, Regis, etc)

I'll get online now Echoes. Also it may take a while before I actually beat the game and therefore can't use the Groudon you lent me, if you need it back just tell me, k.

Top Bottom