• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Just need to capture Entei then it's off to the Elite Four.
My Team as follows -

Lugia - L45
Arcanine - L42
Feraligatr - L39
Golem - L38
Gengar - L39
Meganium - L40

Will need to find a Heart Scale to teach Arcanine Thunder Fang. Level up the rest of the team to about 43ish. Lucky Egg has been super useful on my journey :D

Echoes

Metroid Killer said:
I currently got 390 in my pokedex and I got lots of pokemon to evolve stil. The hardest part is gonna be acquiring rare legendaries (Palkia, Dialga, Regis, etc)

I'll get online now Echoes. Also it may take a while before I actually beat the game and therefore can't use the Groudon you lent me, if you need it back just tell me, k.
Hm, then I'll take it now to finish the quest. I'll give it to you whenever you need it.

BTW I can help you with legendaries later.

Jet Grind Radio! said:
I'm at 101 on my Pokédex @ 67 hours. The only thing Im worried about are the Regis. Especially since I can't get them in DP. D:
You need a Regigigas for that, right? I can lend you mine on one condition: That I get all the Regis! Muahahahaha!!!!

jk... you can lend it if you want.

Edit: Damn you Echoes! Damn you and your Shuckle propaganda!

Echoes

I can bring you the Regis, Jet. I'll take Regigigas from my friend and find the way to unlock the three.

I'm 199 @ 120 hours. What makes it manageable to me is the fact that my job is 12 hours (shift), and I can play DS in there as much as I want. We monitor the gas lines in my job (that are in my country), we rarely get any serious troubles so almost all of the time I'm just sitting, taking the pressure/flow of the gas every couple of hours (which takes about 2 minutes).

Oh, and if it weren't for this thread, I'm sure I wouldn't have the same excitement. It is just so much fun sharing everything with a group of people who knows what the hell you're talking about (EVs...etc).

Edit: MK, I have 4 boxes full of Shuckles :lol whenever we do any kind of trade, don't expect anything but a Shuckle :lol :lol :lol

upandaway

Metroid Killer said:
You need a Regigigas for that, right? I can lend you mine on one condition: That I get all the Regis! Muahahahaha!!!!

jk... you can lend it if you want.

Edit: Damn you Echoes! Damn you and your Shuckle propaganda!
I could get ya all 3 Regis too (Jet gets his from Echoes?), since I already have mine and a new Platinum save. I can't get them without a flagged Regigigas though, and you'll only get them in a couple months.

Edit: I was at 150 hours with about 320 Pokemon on my Pokedex, not counting evolved forms of some I already have.
Right now I'm on my new Platinum at 50 hours (30 of those are just transferring Pokemon from my old file), and I started evolving my Pokemon, and I'm now at around 370.

Nayishiki

I completed my Johto pokedex. I'm curently at 440 pokemons seen and 423 Obtained. Can anyone help me transfer 6 pokemons from Platinum to Soul Silver? My FCs are 1505 7817 2308(Platinum) and (Soul Silver)3653 2713 6337.

Nayishiki

Jet Grind Radio! said:
I though you needed the first three to unlock Regigigas? Or was that only in DP?

You need a Regigigas to unlock the three reggis. Then with the three Reggis you can unlock the in-game Regigigas

Metroid Killer said:
Got it from a friend who gave out his pokemon, managed to snatch the Regigigas and Deoxy! :D
Gah! Deoxy! I hate event Pokémon.

*deepbreath*

I'll come to those damn Pokémon when I get there. I still have a Pokédex to try and fill.

When and where do I get the item that
changes the music to the Game Boy versions?

Mr. Sam said:
Do all Pikachu's def./special def. suck, or did I just get unlucky? Also, I can get a Thunderstone using either the pokewalker dowsing machine or the Pokeathalon, right?

All of Pikachu's stats are horrid, except for Sp. Attack and Speed. Light Ball doubles it's Sp. Attack (which makes it more powerful than Raichu), but it's still too slow and fragile to even consider using in a serious battle.

Hell, even Raichu is pretty damn poor as well. The reason why Pikachu is always getting novelty moves like Surf, Fly, and Volt Tackle, and items like the Light Ball, is simply because they're little more than just that; a novelty. While those things would outright break a lot of other Electric types, they don't change the fact that Pikachu and Raichu are pretty much unusable.

vhfive

Yottamol said:
Caught my Lv.70 Lugia with the first Dusk Ball I threw at him. :lol
lol i got lvl70 ho-oh down to one health and paralyzed and spent 43 balls on him without catching hiim and then he struggled to death.
I went back and tried again and got him on my 5th ball.

Mr. Sam

I came to conclusion that Pikachu fucking sucked after he got repeatedly OHKO'd by Tentacruels today. Gonna drop him from my team. Not much of a problem, I have a rotating team of nine.

Any recommendations for replacement electric pokemon? I have a Flaafy in storage.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Mr. Sam said:
I came to conclusion that Pikachu fucking sucked after he got repeatedly OHKO'd by Tentacruels today. Gonna drop him from my team. Not much of a problem, I have a rotating team of nine.

Any recommendations for replacement electric pokemon? I have a Flaafy in storage.

I'd toss my hat in the ring for a Chinchou, if it learns an electric move (which I believe it does) it's nice for surfing, seeing as it can deal with anything in the water. (and later it turns to Lanturn)

Kletian

Mr. Sam said:

Get an Elekid off the PokeWalker
Get an Electrizer off DPPT
Evolve into Electivire

Watch as he single handedly destroys half the gyms and Elite 4.

My Electivire is my MVP of HG/SS I love him so much <3

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I've been raising a Jolly Riolu, trying to make it happy enough to evolve. It's only lvl 15 or so right now, should I start over and go for a different nature? If so, what?

Looking back over the moves it learns, I'm thinking that going for -sp atk was a mistake.

Jet Grind Radio! said:

To unlock the in-game Regigigas in DPPt, you'll need the 3 Regis in your party(from the Advance gen or from trade)

In Platinum, Game Freak added the 3 Regis hidden somewhere in the game. You can unlock them if you have a special Event Regigigas(I forgot what specific event).

Double D

Do I need to have an open slot in my party to get Dratini from the Dragon Cave? I answered all the questions in order to get me extremespeed Dratini, but I received no such pokemon.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Kletian said:
Get an Elekid off the PokeWalker
Get an Electrizer off DPPT
Evolve into Electivire

Watch as he single handedly destroys half the gyms and Elite 4.

My Electivire is my MVP of HG/SS I love him so much <3
Just did a quick search on those, since I have an Electabuzz; do you really need to have a FireRed cart in your DS to get an Electrizer? That kind of sucks.

joelseph

Vik_Vaughn said:
Do I need to have an open slot in my party to get Dratini from the Dragon Cave? I answered all the questions in order to get me extremespeed Dratini, but I received no such pokemon.

IIRC on your way out someone will talk to you, go to the center and free up a space, when you go back they will give you the pokemon.

MNC

So today you can go search around for them Hoehn or Sinnoh pokeymans right? (I forgot which for which day)

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Just got the game (Superior Silver) - and I am enjoying myself quite a bit. I took my pokewalker to work with me yesterday and accumulated 23,000 steps... I walk a lot at work apparently. Anyway, I was soooo sad when I realized my volts don't carry over to my next walk! WHY GOD, WHY?! Well I think I know why, because I'd have enough volts to catch a bajillion pokemon... but still! Anyway, I've been reading up on seribii.net, and I think I get the mechanics well enough - anyone have any extra tips for me though?

Also, how soon till I get to the pokemon breeders! I can't remember, since gold/silver was so many years ago - I just got the first badge, so it cant be too far off I guess.

btkadams

Kinitari said:
Just got the game (Superior Silver) - and I am enjoying myself quite a bit. I took my pokewalker to work with me yesterday and accumulated 23,000 steps... I walk a lot at work apparently. Anyway, I was soooo sad when I realized my volts don't carry over to my next walk! WHY GOD, WHY?! Well I think I know why, because I'd have enough volts to catch a bajillion pokemon... but still! Anyway, I've been reading up on seribii.net, and I think I get the mechanics well enough - anyone have any extra tips for me though?

Also, how soon till I get to the pokemon breeders! I can't remember, since gold/silver was so many years ago - I just got the first badge, so it cant be too far off I guess.
23000?? holy shit dude.

Wizpig

Kinitari said:

Is this your job? O:

325px-New_York_marathon_Verrazano_bridge.jpg

Wichu

Kinitari said:

Watts carry over. Only the step count is reset each day. You can view your total step count, and the counts for each day in the past week, through the Trainer Card option anyway.

fernoca

Wichu said:
Watts carry over. Only the step count is reset each day. You can view your total step count, and the counts for each day in the past week, through the Trainer Card option anyway.
Well, whenever you connect the Pokewalker to the game, whatever quantity of watts that you have is sent to the game, and you're back to '0'..so maybe that's what he meant by "carry over"...

Anyway...
23,000 is a great number (and normal number..to me), don't know why so many act surprised... :lol Heck, when I worked at retail I did between 15k to 20k daily..depending on the day of course.. (based on the Personal Trainer Walking game)

Heck, the other day with the Pokewalker..I did 10,100 steps..just for jogging 2 hours...and still no flying or surfing Pikachus ..god dammit.

btkadams

Somnid said:
That's not crazy, my GF averages 21,000 steps a day on hers.
i went around town shopping all day on sat and got like 9000. i go to school everyday and walk all around campus but i still only get like 6000.

but i also don't walk to school, its a 40 minute drive away.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
btkadams said:
23000?? holy shit dude.

Wizpig said:
Is this your job? O:

325px-New_York_marathon_Verrazano_bridge.jpg

:lol I work retail, and pace the isles of gaming for 8 hours a day =p.

fernoca said:
Well, whenever you connect the Pokewalker to the game, whatever quantity of watts that you have is sent to the game, and you're back to '0'..so maybe that's what he meant by "carry over"...

That's what I meant =p.

Busaiku

Are Pokemon behaviors good indicators of IVs?

So say I'm trying to get a Pikachu with good Speed.
Can I assume that a "Loves to run" would have more speed than "Loves to relax" or "Capable of taking hits"?

Wichu

Whoops, misread the post. Anyway, it is a bit annoying that you don't have an option to keep your Watts on the Pokéwalker... Each (normal) day, I get around 600 Watts, so I usually have enough for catching a few Pokémon if I feel like it. But I tend to save them to unlock more courses anyway (the last one will take several months :p).

Wiseblade

Busaiku said:

Can I assume that a "Loves to run" would have more speed than "Loves to relax" or "Capable of taking hits"?

Yes you can. the behaviour you get is dependent on which of your Pokemon's IV is the highest. "Likes To Run" means that your speed IV is either: 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 or 30, and all of your others are either the same or less than that.

OMG Aero

Busaiku said:

The Pokemon behaviour tells you which is that Pokemon's highest IV.
If you scroll down to 5. Pokémon Characteristics (DP only) on this page then you can see a list of what each means.

Mr. Sam

Fuck having to drag HM slaves around Victory Road. OK, so one of them is a lv. 53 Machamp. Whatever. Still means I have to go back to the Pokecenter.

Wichu

But a 'Likes to run' Pikachu doesn't necessarily have higher Speed than a 'Capable of taking hits' one. For example, I have two Darkrai; one has 'Likes to run', while the other has 'Somewhat vain'. You might think the one that 'likes to run' would have higher Speed; its Speed IV is 30. However, the 'Somewhat vain' one was actually RNGed, and is flawless in all 6 stats.
On another note, say you have a Pokémon with 'Alert to sounds' and one with 'Likes to run'. At first, you might assume the one with 'Alert to sounds' has higher Speed, as that's an indication of flawless Speed; however, the 'Alert to sounds' one's Speed IV could also be 26 or 21 (even 1, if all its other IVs are also 0 or 1).

Basically, the characteristic doesn't guarantee anything; it's best used as an aid while calculating IVs the old-fashioned way ;)

Nearly 200 Oddishes hatched now with no signs of a shiny :(

I know they are very rare even with a JP Ditto, but I hoped that after 1000+ hours of Pokemon without seeing a single shiny that the game would cut me a bit of slack and let me have a shiny Bellossom :(

fernoca

Azure Phoenix said:
Nearly 200 Oddishes hatched now with no signs of a shiny :(

I know they are very rare even with a JP Ditto, but I hoped that after 1000+ hours of Pokemon without seeing a single shiny that the game would cut me a bit of slack and let me have a shiny Bellossom :(
I haven't captured a single shiny..ever.. :lol
I do have shinies (3 actually), but all through trades...

Top Bottom