• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

OMG Aero

I think that in gen 5 instead of getting a Master Ball you should get a Shiny Ball which magically turns the captured Pokemon into a shiny variant.
A man can dream

Just beat Brock and got to this awesome moment in Pewter City!

latiosencounter.jpg

Now off to capture Latias!

Fitz

You need an event item for the event in your picture to happen right? Some stone or something with is actually the Soul Dew?

I need to replace my Murkrow. It is absolutely useless against the E4. Everyone else is used more than once, and is quite effectual, except Murky. Hell, even my underleveled Alakazam got more play than it. Maybe I should just say "fuck it" and go with Giratina.

Also can someone help me evolve Haunter and Machoke?

notsol337

marked forever
What I want to know is how you search the GTS for all the pokemon... it seems to me I can only request to trade the pokemon I've seen, which is kind of stupid if you ask me.

How am I supposed to sucker a Mew from someone if it's impossible to see it?

notsol337 said:

You aren't, and you won't anyway. The GTS is beyond useless, nearly all the requests are crap like a lvl 2 Rattata for a lvl 100 Jirachi, you'll never find a single fair trade by searching.

notsol337 said:
What I want to know is how you search the GTS for all the pokemon... it seems to me I can only request to trade the pokemon I've seen, which is kind of stupid if you ask me.

If you get a Mew from the GTS, it's probably hacked. Event Mews are locked to your cartridge (they have a special ribbon), pretty much like the spiky eared Pichu; though you can trade it using friend codes.

notsol337

marked forever
Well mostly I'd like to trade for other pokes I don't have. I see people requesting all sorts of stuff, and I can't search for them!

Take Munchlax for example. I'd like to get one, but I don't have a Snorlax... yet I can't search for one. No clue how to get one other than asking gaf!

p.s. Gimme a Munchlax! >:0

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Ben2749 said:
All of Pikachu's stats are horrid, except for Sp. Attack and Speed. Light Ball doubles it's Sp. Attack (which makes it more powerful than Raichu), but it's still too slow and fragile to even consider using in a serious battle.
Pikachu's Attack is higher than its SpAtk, Light Ball doubles Attack as well, and Volt Tackle is physical.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Azure Phoenix said:
You aren't, and you won't anyway. The GTS is beyond useless, nearly all the requests are crap like a lvl 2 Rattata for a lvl 100 Jirachi, you'll never find a single fair trade by searching.
Once I managed to get a Bulbasaur, I've been able to trade hatched lvl 1s for a ton of stuff.

Not really fair trades in the strictest sense, since a lot of what I'm looking for could be just caught straight up (but not in Heartgold) while the Bulbasaur is kind of "rare," but I've still been able to make a lot of trades on the GTS.

I think it's more useful for putting up your own Pokes, though. I got my original Bulbasaur by just throwing up a lvl 1 Growlithe. If you don't put a level restriction on there, you can make some pretty good deals.

Echoes

Battle Frontier has the most cheating AI I have ever encountered in my life. Ninja Gaiden NES? WORSE.

Me: Garchomp
He: Scizor

Earthquake
miss
Swords Dance
Earthquake
miss
Swords Dance
Earthquake
fucking miss
X-Scissor

Go Milotic!

X-Scissor

Go Tyranitar!

X-Scissor

I swear I burst out laughing. Unbelievable. Don't tell me about Brightpowder, please! This should never happen to anyone. Never.

Ugh, so 3 of my flatmates have the game and I've completely fallen behind. Dean's stormed ahead to get his 9th badge, and uh, I've just got to Ecruteak. Team is level 20 all round, Flaffy, Pidgeotto, Dratini, Quilava, Wooper (his animation is the best god damn one ever, turning to the screen to go :O) and Sudowoodo. Just beat my rival in the tower, I think I'm a bit low on what I should be... oh well, if all else fails, Dragon Rage.

Sixfortyfive

Little Green Yoda said:
^ouch

Are the non-Tower facilities any good for farming BPs? Or is repeatedly playing the first 3 sets of the Tower the most efficient way?
Seems like multiplayer would be more efficient if you have a stable connection.

Battle Tower solo:

Set 1: 3BP
Set 2: 3BP
Set 3: 20BP
Set 4: 4 BP
Set 5: 5 BP
Set 6: 5 BP
Set 7: 20 BP
Set 8+: 7 BP

Battle Tower Wi-Fi:

Set 1: 8BP
Set 2: 9BP
Set 3: 11BP
Set 4: 12BP
Set 5: 14BP
Set 6: 15BP
Set 7+: 18BP

Battle Factory gives out more BP, but it's not very easy to build any kind of streak there.

Darklord

Banned
This game sure isn't as fun as it used to be. The battles fucking piss me off now. So many times it'll go like this or similar:

Me: Attack
Trainer: Lowers Accuracy
Me: Miss
Trainer: Attack

FFS, hit the stupid thing! God damn it. The battles are just too tedious these days. Also when you use a sleep attack you hit them to sleep, it says you did the attack, then the pokemon went to sleep, then again it tells you, and constantly telling you every turn. Why can't it just have the "ZzZ" next to the thing until it wakes up THEN inform me? I really hope they change them up for the next generation of pokemon games...doubtful though, they seem happy on barely changing a damn thing anymore. :\

Axis

Azure Phoenix said:

there's fair trades on the GTS constantly...just filter by country to get more results

Sixfortyfive

Catching Lugia and Mewtwo might be a little annoying considering that my dedicated catcher is Breloom. Not going to appreciate an Aeroblast off of a lv70 Lugia, even when my guy is at level 100...

So I beat the Steel gym last night using brute force and ignorance (Thunder Wave and Discharge off Mareep and Thunder off of Gengar). I knew Gengar wouldn't do bugger all against Steelix, so I cursed it and let my Totodile finish it off. Every single attack was not very effective and the gym leader used Hyper Potion.

Most frustrating gym battle ever.

Wizpig

Darklord said:
This game sure isn't as fun as it used to be. The battles fucking piss me off now. So many times it'll go like this or similar:

FFS, hit the stupid thing! God damn it. The battles are just too tedious these days. Also when you use a sleep attack you hit them to sleep, it says you did the attack, then the pokemon went to sleep, then again it tells you, and constantly telling you every turn. Why can't it just have the "ZzZ" next to the thing until it wakes up THEN inform me? I really hope they change them up for the next generation of pokemon games...doubtful though, they seem happy on barely changing a damn thing anymore. :\
Turn off the animations ;)

OMG Aero

notsol337 said:

I think that's the point of the GTS. If you could just search for anything then you could search for, say, a Mewtwo or something and if you happen to come across one you can get then are basically ruining the game. Sure you could just trade it locally, but it'd be too easy to just trade online with anyone to do that. If you have seen a Pokemon in battle, then it's pretty much safe to say that you could have that Pokemon at that point in the game yourself.

On the topic of getting a Mew, love it or hate it, Gamefreak doesn't want you to get event Pokemon this way. They purposefully put ribbons on event Pokemon now that prevent them from going on the GTS.

Sixfortyfive said:
Seems like multiplayer would be more efficient if you have a stable connection.

Battle Tower solo:

Set 1: 3BP
Set 2: 3BP
Set 3: 20BP
Set 4: 4 BP
Set 5: 5 BP
Set 6: 5 BP
Set 7: 20 BP
Set 8+: 7 BP

Battle Tower Wi-Fi:

Set 1: 8BP
Set 2: 9BP
Set 3: 11BP
Set 4: 12BP
Set 5: 14BP
Set 6: 15BP
Set 7+: 18BP

Battle Factory gives out more BP, but it's not very easy to build any kind of streak there.

Wifi Tower actually has good Pokemon that can end my streak though. :/

In my few tries, Factory has been just as BS as Emerald's. And even if I didn't have rotten luck, I can't go on autopilot like I can against the early sets in the Battle Tower lol.

Does the Arcade/Hall/Castle give decent returns for the amount of time needed to play through them?

Sixfortyfive

Little Green Yoda said:
Does the Arcade/Hall/Castle give decent returns for the amount of time needed to play through them?
The Arcade and Castle give out less BP than the Tower, as they are similar but easier. The Hall is probably not worth it, as there is so much downtime between battles that it really adds up and drags things out if you're just grinding BP.

EDIT:

Little Green Yoda said:
Wifi Tower actually has good Pokemon that can end my streak though. :/
Actually, I was talking about co-op through Wi-Fi against the normal CPU trainers, not the option where you download other players' teams for the CPU to use.

El Sloth

Banned
I just got a Squirtle for a Skarmory over GTS. My collection is complete! Anyone with a Treecko mind trading for a Cyndaquil?

Echoes

I just EV-trained her in the lake, there are Magikarps and Gyarados. With Super Rod you only get Magi and Gyara as well.

Wait, I just checked. Gyarados gives 2 Attack EV? my GOD. I thought it gives 2 Speed EVs! :( I played against 6 Gyarados (with Power Anklet) and 18 Magi. I am seriously lost on how much EV I accumulated for Attack and Speed.

Dang :(

Seriously Ive gotten 7/8 badges and took care of the Team Rocket's hideout and the fucking Ragecandybar guy wont let me through.

What am I missing?!

Square Triangle said:
Seriously Ive gotten 7/8 badges and took care of the Team Rocket's hideout and the fucking Ragecandybar guy wont let me through.

What am I missing?!
Did you take care of the
radio station in Goldenrod?

Sixfortyfive

The foe is no longer protected by Safeguard!
*picks Spore*
Wild Lugia uses Safeguard!
Breloom uses Spore. The wild Lugia is protected by Safeguard!

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Sixfortyfive

Dogenzaka said:
What? How can you send files to a legit Pokemon game/DS? Don't you have to use a ROM/flashcart?
It sort of turns your PC into an access point for event Pokemon distribution. Your DS thinks it's connecting to Nintendo's servers or a Gamestop distribution point or something like that.

Sixfortyfive

Jeels said:
When I try to do this for a Jirachi, it won't connect.
I haven't played around with this thing yet, so I can't help. I don't really have a need to considering that I've been attending every event distribution myself for the past couple of years.

Anyway, just added Lugia to the collection:

Code:
ARTICUNO:   TIMID 31/31/31/30/30/31 - seed A20602BC, caught in HeartGold (HP Ground, used 33 Premier Balls)
  ZAPDOS:   TIMID 31/31/31/31/31/31 - seed D2140289, caught in HeartGold (used 105 Premier Balls)
 MOLTRES:  MODEST 31/31/30/30/31/31 - seed 960B02B4, caught in HeartGold (HP Grass, used 20 Premier Balls)
 SUICUNE:    BOLD 31/ 7/31/30/31/31 - seed CA0D0D27, caught in HeartGold (HP Electric, used 16 Premier Balls)
   LUGIA:   TIMID 31/31/31/31/31/31 - seed D2140289, caught in HeartGold (used about 50 Premier Balls total, Struggled itself to death once)
   HO-OH: ADAMANT 31/31/31/24/31/31 - seed F6090220, caught in HeartGold (used about 190 Premier Balls total, Struggled itself to death once)
Mewtwo is up next. After that it's either Kyogre or the roamers. I still don't know if I'm ready to face Red or not though.

Jeels

Sixfortyfive said:
I haven't played around with this thing yet, so I can't help. I don't really have a need to considering that I've been attending every event distribution myself for the past couple of years.

Anyway, just added Lugia to the collection:

Code:
ARTICUNO:   TIMID 31/31/31/30/30/31 - seed A20602BC, caught in HeartGold (HP Ground, used 33 Premier Balls)
  ZAPDOS:   TIMID 31/31/31/31/31/31 - seed D2140289, caught in HeartGold (used 105 Premier Balls)
 MOLTRES:  MODEST 31/31/30/30/31/31 - seed 960B02B4, caught in HeartGold (HP Grass, used 20 Premier Balls)
 SUICUNE:    BOLD 31/ 7/31/30/31/31 - seed CA0D0D27, caught in HeartGold (HP Electric, used 16 Premier Balls)
   LUGIA:   TIMID 31/31/31/31/31/31 - seed D2140289, caught in HeartGold (used about 50 Premier Balls total, Struggled itself to death once)
   HO-OH: ADAMANT 31/31/31/24/31/31 - seed F6090220, caught in HeartGold (used about 190 Premier Balls total, Struggled itself to death once)
Mewtwo is up next. After that it's either Kyogre or the roamers. I still don't know if I'm ready to face Red or not though.

Someone said to make my wifi unsecured. Right now my wifi uses WEP, how do I turn it off?

Sixfortyfive

Jeels said:
Someone said to make my wifi unsecured. Right now my wifi uses WEP, how do I turn it off?
This is different for every router. Enter the IP address for your router/gateway into your browser and start messing around with the config pages. Google for more specifics.

No one wants to help me evolve a few Pokemon? I can give you some Charmanders.

JohnTinker said:
I need quick bug catching contest sagely advice,

Swap out Kricketune lv30 90/90hp for a Scyther lv28 81/81hp?
Yes. Higher level/more HP = Better.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
That's what I thought, though usually Scyther is the trump card of sorts :lol

My wifi has been acting up, otherwise I would help out for free

Top Bottom