• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Minister of the Dog said:
Ok, I'm going to the trade room.

I don't see you in there, JGR, are you still here or interested?
Oh sorry. I was doing other stuff. Won't be able to trade for a while anyway, unfortunately. If someone else wants it, it's cool.

Is it just me, or have they made the legendary dogs far more wimpy and easy to catch?

Aside from the fact you can track them without encountering them first, I seem to remember running around like a lunatic trying to even be on the same route as Entei (let alone try and catch him) in Gold. So far I've ran into him by accident three times (twice in five mins) and with my level 18 Gastly I proceeded to trap him and put him to sleep twice, then get his health bar into the red.

Gravijah

My god, the encounter rate is so much better in Platinum. How about this: I've walked through most of Oreburgh Mine without running into a single Pokemon. And it's a CAVE!

Edit: Make that ALL of Oreburgh Mine.

Gravijah said:
My god, the encounter rate is so much better in Platinum. How about this: I've walked through most of Oreburgh Mine without running into a single Pokemon. And it's a CAVE!

Edit: Make that ALL of Oreburgh Mine.

Yeah? Try running or cycling. It's damn awful.

SlickVic

LOL, love how that guy north of Goldenrod gives you a free Lvl 20 Spearow. Even though it wasn't a trade, still gets boosted EXP in battle for some reason. Guess I'm supposed to return it to some guy on Route 31 but screw that, I just got a free Fearow for my team. :lol

upandaway

I decided I'll pull out the Pokewalker and try it out for a bit... since I'm running by myself for a while now, and I'm not playing the games anyway. I've got a couple questions.

Does this thing ever turn off? I know that even with a blank screen, it's still working in the background. I don't have any Pokemon on it, so is it fine if I just pick it up for my runs and leave it like that? Or so I need to transfer everything after every run?

Does it even work when you're running? Walking doesn't do much for me.

upandaway said:
I decided I'll pull out the Pokewalker and try it out for a bit... since I'm running by myself for a while now, and I'm not playing the games anyway. I've got a couple questions.

Does this thing ever turn off? I know that even with a blank screen, it's still working in the background. I don't have any Pokemon on it, so is it fine if I just pick it up for my runs and leave it like that? Or so I need to transfer everything after every run?

Does it even work when you're running? Walking doesn't do much for me.
Once you have connected it to the DS it will never 'turn off', it will go into sleep mode as you said, blank screen, where it still counts steps.

It works with or without a pokemon, sometimes you may pick up a wild pokemon if there isn't one in it already.

Running, walking, cycling, movement in general works with this thing.

OMG Aero

SlickVic said:
LOL, love how that guy north of Goldenrod gives you a free Lvl 20 Spearow. Even though it wasn't a trade, still gets boosted EXP in battle for some reason. Guess I'm supposed to return it to some guy on Route 31 but screw that, I just got a free Fearow for my team. :lol
If you do what he says with the Spearow I think you get a TM.

upandaway

Metroid Killer said:
Once you have connected it to the DS it will never 'turn off', it will go into sleep mode as you said, blank screen, where it still counts steps.

It works with or without a pokemon, sometimes you may pick up a wild pokemon if there isn't one in it already.

Running, walking, cycling, movement in general works with this thing.
Good enough, thanks.

Tried 3 steps with it and it counted 10. This thing is so weird!

Edit: Is there anything stopping me from never transferring my steps to my DS?

upandaway said:
Good enough, thanks.

Tried 3 steps with it and it counted 10. This thing is so weird!

Edit: Is there anything stopping me from never transferring my steps to my DS?
It doesn't count the steps in 'real-time', but rather accumulate it and then add a bunch every once in a while.

The only thing that would stop you from transfering the steps to the DS would be if the battery dies or if you break the pokewalker, otherwise it'll keep them until the next connection.

Daily steps resets every midnight, collected watts never resets but is transfered to the DS every time you connect the devices.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Echoes said:
85331506.jpg

:lol

WTF is that other Pokemon?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Echoes said:
BTW if later you are annoyed by Thunder's poor accuracy, I can give you a Thunderbolt TM.

So, um, I have this weird idea of EV-training a Pokemon with a good nature/moveset etc and then trade it with a Gaffer here, with the same condition. Like, each of us will EV-train a monster, then trade it with another Gaffer without knowing beforehand what it will be. Anyone's up for this? You only need to train one monster, and we'll toss up a coin to see who trades with who.

I'm up for this if at least one guy showed interest.

I have a Togekiss that knows Flamethrower, Grass Knot, Aerial Ace, and Aura Sphere, has an Expert Belt, and is EV trained in Special Attack and Speed that I've been thinking about not using anymore... But I'm not 100% sure yet.

Also I have no clue what the IVs are.

Gravijah said:
Houndoom, looks like.

Oh OK, I was thinking it was some glitch Pokemon looking at it front-on and standing up. o_0

Echoes

Andrex said:
I have a Togekiss that knows Flamethrower, Grass Knot, Aerial Ace, and Aura Sphere, has an Expert Belt, and is EV trained in Special Attack and Speed that I've been thinking about not using anymore... But I'm not 100% sure yet.

Also I have no clue what the IVs are.
That's cool, as my Togekiss is a totally different beast. However, if you need it, don't worry. You could pick a monster (at your choice, with your own strategy/moves) but better not tell me about it so it'll be a surprise for both of us. If you're up for it, I will start EV-training a cool Poke for you right away.

Oh and I don't care much about IVs as well. I want to, but it's random and I don't like chasing random things. EV training is my limit lol.

OMG Aero

Finally beat Lance today, it only took me 70 hours.
2vjbvr6.jpg

If it wasn't for Lapras I wouldn't have had a chance.
Mafro said:
What's the minimum amount of steps on the Pokewalker it takes to level up the Pokemon? 1000?
I think 1 step = 1 exp so it depends on the Pokemon.

Merovin

Good god I hate but love Voltorb Flip. It's an addictive little game, no doubt about that. But it takes way too much time to save up for those TM's. I've been playing for what feels like the last hour, trying to save up for Ice Beam, but dear god, I only have 2000 coins now, kept shifting between levels 4 - 6, finally took the hit, back down to the first level, given up.

DarkKyo

Had an EPIC battle with a friend who has gold last night(I have silver).. it was awesome. His highest was a 27 bayleef and mine was a 25 cleffa. Besides that we had stuff 21-24. It was a double battle and he was destroying my guys the whole match. But at the very end my two pokemon out, each at 1/10th health, were able to take out 4 or 5 of his pokemon, declaring me the winner. This was followed by "so lucky!" and "that was humiliating" comments. Just had the perfect types and made the right moves.

First playthrough and neither of us EV train.... yet.

Nayishiki

shykyoichi said:
I'm online. Where should I meet you? WIFI Plaza?
You need to go to the Wi-Fi Club and I need your Friend Code.

shykyoichi said:
BTW, My FC: 3911 0160 2424.
Ok going Online.

EDIT: I don't see you. Are you sure you registered me in your Pal Pad?(3653 2713 6337) and are you in the Wi-Fi Club?

Bii

Echoes said:
Yep. Was breeding for a Crunch Riolu. I have ten unwanted Crunch Riolu if anybody wants some. Won't be available until 3 hours later though.

I'll take one.

Also, can I get a Charmander from someone as well? I know the breeding of a shiny Charmander ended, but I'd like to try it for myself. :p

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Metroid Killer said:
Wooohoo congrats LiQuid! you are indeed the first person who bred a shiny charmander, which also means you won the breeding competition!!!

I don't have my DS on me right now, but I'll be able to trade later so you can claim your prize:
Darkrai or Arceus

FC: 5156 4291 4002
Awe! Some!

Nayi hooked me up with an arceus last night, so I'll help myself to your darkrai whenever you're around. We should still have each other FC'd since you gave me that JPN ditto, but if you need it again I'm 3524-4520-4614

Bii

Minister of the Dog said:
You can get one from me now if you want. 0045 5148 8653

Awesome, I'll add you. Here's my FC 5027 6772 6313

I'll get online right now.

Edit: Seems like I already had you on my Friend's list. *laughs*

Edit #2: Thanks again! ^_^

Edit #3: Wow, this Charmander has Dragon Dance AND Outrage. I really appreciate it.

Nayishiki said:
You need to go to the Wi-Fi Club and I need your Friend Code.

Ok going Online.

EDIT: I don't see you. Are you sure you registered me in your Pal Pad?(3653 2713 6337) and are you in the Wi-Fi Club?
Grrr... My Wifi's acting up. I was just @ the Wifi Plaza earlier and now, I can't seem to connect. =/

It's one of my Dragon Dance+Outrage Charmanders, I wasn't participating in the shiny race :lol

I know you can use it to breed DD+O Larvitars, but I think you can't breed more Charmanders with those moves.

Wizpig

I always knew that I was an ignorant regarding the metagame and the IVs, but how the heck can they breed a level 1 Chimchar with Atk 31?
Seriously.
Care to explain in a quick way? i don't think you can do that with a Ditto, right? it's like, weeks of cross-breeding with 2 Chimchars, right?
:\

Echoes

Wizpig said:
I always knew that I was an ignorant regarding the metagame and the IVs, but how the heck can they breed a level 1 Chimchar with Atk 31?
Seriously.
Care to explain in a quick way? i don't think you can do that with a Ditto, right? it's like, weeks of cross-breeding with 2 Chimchars, right?
:\
Wait for a better answer, but when you let a Poke hold a Power item (Power Anklet, Power Weight, Power Lens) it will pass down that IV to the baby. A Ditto with 31 IV in Special Attack will pass this IV to the baby when holding Power Lens. That's the best I can do to transfer good IVs to babies without RNGing.

jman2050

Just coming in randomly to say that the Kanto Gym Leader music in this game is awesome and one of the better GB->GBA/DS remixes Game Freak has done.

Those first ten seconds caught me off-guard the first time :lol

jman2050

thefil said:
What's the best way to get a Lucky Egg? Do I just catch a lot of Chanseys and hope for the best?

Wait for a chansey swarm + thief/covet.

I got one in 20 minutes this way, though obviously waiting for the chansey swarm is the hard part :p

Morokh

Anastacio said:
Which generations of Pokémon are in HeartGold / SoulSilver? Gen 1 and 2?

And is it possible to trade and battle online?

The most common are gen 1 & 2 yes, but there are Pokemons of every gen in it (when you get National Dex, Safari Parc ...)
Yes you can Battle and trade Online (friends or via the GTS introduced in Diamond Pearl), and even view Recorded VS Matches.

I don't know how far will I get in Battle Tower with this tactic, but it's been working flawlessly so far.

Wobbuffet uses Encore on some non damage dealing move, I switch to Dragonite, Dragonite uses Dragon Dance until Encore's effect dissapears, then Outrages its way to victory.

thefil

Managed to beat the upgrade Elite Four with my "Junk in the Trunk"-themed team! Only Pokemon over 500lb.

Dragonite
Tyranitar
Wailord
Metagross
Hariyama
Snorlax

The battle with lance went something like this: use all my Pokemon to beat his first three, send Snorlax out to wall while I fully revive everyone over the course of 10 turns, continue to overrun lance with overwhelming force. :D

Now to train my "Legendary Bird Trainer Fil" party for the fight with Red.

So I'm starting to get tired of my scrappy team after I beat the Elite 4. I love them and all, but I need to start replacing them with my real team. The only problem is gonna be training them up from lvl 1.

My current adventure team:

Feraligatr
Furret (partial HM whore)
Nidoking
Hypno
Pidgeot (wish it wasn't one of the worst Normal/Flying types T_T)
Ampharos
Growlithe

Possible pokes for my battling team:

Kabutops/Omastar (depends if anyone wants to trade for the former)
Espeon (I don't need it, but it's my favorite Eeveelution)
Jolteon
Vaporeon
Flygon
Gallade
Kingler (cause Ash's Kingler is beast!)
Ninjask (maybe Shedinja for gimmicks)
Scizor
Honchcrow
Absol
Arcanine
Machamp (No Guard is too good)

These suggestions are all over the place and there's likely to be a few I forgot to add.

Top Bottom