• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Gravijah said:
Bibarel is one of the easiest ways to make spreading HMs amongst your team less stressful.
He learns 7 of the 8 HMs in HGSS! They should have just added him to the Johto Dex!

Big Ass Ramp said:
Is there a pokemon that can learn strength and waterfall?
Here's a list. When more pokemon in a family can learn both moves then the lowest evolution is represented:
Squirtle
Psyduck
Poliwhirl
Gyarados
Lapras
Vaporeon
Dragonite
Croconaw
Azurill
Quagsire
Lugia
Mudkip
Lombre
Sharpedo
Wailmer
Whiscash
Corphish
Spheal
Prinplup
Bibarel
Buizel
Gastrodon

Gravijah

Sixfortyfive said:
He learns 7 of the 8 HMs in HGSS! They should have just added him to the Johto Dex!

Yeah I transferred one over when I realized I wasn't going to run into anything better. :lol I don't get the hate for him.

Firestorm

Gyarados should be on your team if you want an easy time mowing over the Elite Four anyway!

Does Ho-oh appear after I beat the Elite Four even if I catch it or only if I KO it?

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Metroid Killer said:
Here's a list. When more pokemon in a family can learn both moves then the lowest evolution is represented:
Squirtle
Psyduck
Poliwhirl
Gyarados
Lapras
Vaporeon
Dragonite
Croconaw
Azurill
Quagsire
Lugia
Mudkip
Lombre
Sharpedo
Wailmer
Whiscash
Corphish
Spheal
Prinplup
Bibarel
Buizel
Gastrodon

Wow, thank you for this.

Sixfortyfive

Firestorm said:
Gyarados should be on your team if you want an easy time mowing over the Elite Four anyway!

Does Ho-oh appear after I beat the Elite Four even if I catch it or only if I KO it?
Legends don't respawn once you catch them. Only if you KO or run.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Breeding a foreign-language pokemon with a local pokemon doubles your chances of the offspring being shiny. To be sure, the chances are still about 1/4000, but that still seems somehow more doable than 1/8000 and you might still get lucky and get a shiny after only hatching a few hundred eggs.

Aren't the odds of a shiny when breeding with a foreign Pokemon meant to be around the 1/2000 mark?

That only works at about a 0.05% chance of a shiny though. I think I've been through about 20 boxes full of Oddish eggs now without any luck, so it's still incredibly rare.

Edit: Regarding swarms, do you have to be a certain amount through the game before they start appearing? I still haven't had any swarms after 10 days.

Azure Phoenix said:
Edit: Regarding swarms, do you have to be a certain amount through the game before they start appearing? I still haven't had any swarms after 10 days.
I'm pretty sure you have access to swarms as soon as you get the pokegear. Listen to Prof. Oaks show, and he'll tell you about which route/area where there are a lot of pokemon this day.

I've been rockin' the Skarmory/Golduck combo. Skarmory learns Cut, Fly, Flash and Rock Smash, and Golduck learns Surf, Whirlpool, Rock Climb and Strength. That means I miss out on Waterfall, but I usually have my Gyarados with me anyway. Alternatively you could have a Surfer as part of your regular party and teach Golduck Waterfall. It sucks that you can't just spread out every HM over two Pokes, they really are getting ridiculous with nine HMs.

MNC

Big Ass Ramp said:
Alright, I caught it. Just wish this didn't sully my otherwise happy moment with doubt. Sigh. Oh well, my first shiny! :D
Yeah, it's quite the dilemma. You've got your legendaries, but they always return, but are incredibly annoying to catch (lots a pokeballs) and then there's the incredibly rare shinies, but they're just as easy to catch as regular pokemon, but if you faint it... DEAR GOD YOU HAVE FUCKED UP.

I think you've done the right thing catching it though.

Sixfortyfive

matrix-cat said:
I've been rockin' the Skarmory/Golduck combo. Skarmory learns Cut, Fly, Flash and Rock Smash, and Golduck learns Surf, Whirlpool, Rock Climb and Strength. That means I miss out on Waterfall, but I usually have my Gyarados with me anyway. Alternatively you could have a Surfer as part of your regular party and teach Golduck Waterfall. It sucks that you can't just spread out every HM over two Pokes, they really are getting ridiculous with nine HMs.
Flash isn't an HM.

Metroid Killer said:
I'm pretty sure you have access to swarms as soon as you get the pokegear. Listen to Prof. Oaks show, and he'll tell you about which route/area where there are a lot of pokemon this day.
Hmm, that's what I've been checking multiple times per day. All he talks about is Zubat, Geodude, Dragonair and Rattata being found on certain routes.

Gravijah

Azure Phoenix said:
Hmm, that's what I've been checking multiple times per day. All he talks about is Zubat, Geodude, Dragonair and Rattata being found on certain routes.

They pop up after you beat the Elite Four, you might have to do something though.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
MNC said:
Yeah, it's quite the dilemma. You've got your legendaries, but they always return, but are incredibly annoying to catch (lots a pokeballs) and then there's the incredibly rare shinies, but they're just as easy to catch as regular pokemon, but if you faint it... DEAR GOD YOU HAVE FUCKED UP

:lol :lol

my thoughts exactly.

Gravijah

matrix-cat said:
But you're just Whirlpooling up a storm, right? Flash is totally an HM; it's a move you need to access certain areas in the game.

Whirlpool is only an HM because it's Generation II. It shouldn't be an HM, either.

Sixfortyfive

I did it at level 38.

Used a bunch of X Attacks and X Speeds on Gyarados because he hadn't learned Dragon Dance yet.

Wiseblade

matrix-cat said:
It so is. It's an HM in every respect except that it has a T instead of an H. Game Freak think they're so sly :lol

If you're going to be like that, you may as well call dig and sweet scent HMs.

Kurtofan

Thanks for your answers.
Here is my team:
45 MEGANIUM (Mandragore)
45 HO OH(Phoenix)
40 GOLEM(Pierrette)
40 ALAKAZAM(Eskarina)
40 GYARADOS(Kraken)
40 AMPHAROS(Voltaire)

Move sets
Tackle(lol),Frenzyplant,petal dance,magical leaf

sacred fire,fly,extrasensory,fire blast

rock smash,rock throw,earthquake,magnitude

psychic,psycho cut, psybeam,confusion

surf,aquatail,bite,ice fang

thunder wave,discharge,thunder punch,force.

You'll have to do a trade with me also Jet Grind Radio, it's your lucky day, so when you are ready bring two trash pokemon with you so we can trade.... ;-)

Metroid Killer said:
You'll have to do a trade with me also Jet Grind Radio, it's your lucky day, so when you are ready bring two trash pokemon with you so we can trade.... ;-)
Sure. I, uh, forgot what we were gonna trade for though. :lol

Also, whoever gave me Cyndaquil, thanks. Easilly my most used Pokémon against the E4. Level 51 compared to 45. :lol

Jet Grind Radio! said:
=O MK, are those for me to keep?
Yup, got them from a Japanese friend, they are legit and everything, and they were just taking space in my boxes anyway, and I've seen several posts of yours where you mentioned them, so I thought you deserved it. Lucky day! ;-)

Thanks, Minister! Now to get a Snorlax. :lol

Metroid Killer said:
Yup, got them from a Japanese friend, they are legit and everything, and they were just taking space in my boxes anyway, and I've seen several posts of yours where you mentioned them, so I thought you deserved it. Lucky day! ;-)
=OOOO! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE YOU! Now I just need Darkrai, Shaymin, Celebi and Jirachi and I have all the event Pokés. <3

Sixfortyfive

So I'm fighting the Elite Four for what is approximately the 7th time because it's necessary in order to generate new stats for the roaming legendaries... Yeah, this is where battle animations are turned off for good, I think.

Anybody here up for a fight after I'm done with this?

ps Echoes: You keeping a list of GAFfers who are interested in that trained Pokemon blind trade? Just wondering if I'm going to receive a PM regarding who to send it to eventually.

upandaway

Doesn't the tournament start soon? How's it proceeding?

Also guys, make sure to upload some good fights. Shouldn't be hard with the recorder.

Echoes

It's only you and me right now :( I don't see anybody willing to do this stuff right now.

BTW you may have missed my post yesterday but can I have a 31 IV Ditto? Just one, with any nature.

I have a bunch of Lv1 Riolu with Crunch. Anybody want some can PM me. FC 4984 7134 0994 (my Pal Pad is always full and I delete people almost daily, sigh.)

Sixfortyfive

upandaway said:
Doesn't the tournament start soon? How's it proceeding?

Also guys, make sure to upload some good fights. Shouldn't be hard with the recorder.
Tournament starts the 23rd. I'll send out PMs to everyone who signed up a few days before to make sure everyone is still in the know.

Some battle videos in the meantime:
69-36127-45890 <- Battle Hall lulz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aVCbs18jy4 <- posted this already, but eh

Echoes said:
It's only you and me right now :( I don't see anybody willing to do this stuff right now.

BTW you may have missed my post yesterday but can I have a 31 IV Ditto? Just one, with any nature.

I have a bunch of Lv1 Riolu with Crunch. Anybody want some can PM me. FC 4984 7134 0994 (my Pal Pad is always full and I delete people almost daily, sigh.)
Yeah, I can grab a Ditto in a few minutes. Just let me find and Masterball this Raikou first. EDIT: Going to have to wait until later on that. I'll probably be back in an hour or so though.

Echoes

No prob, I'm available from another 3 hours.

So now it's me, Sixfortyfive, and Minister of the Dog, for the Pokemon Swapping Contest.

Top Bottom