• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Gravijah

I'd join you guys but I've never raised an actual competitive Pokemon before. I've read up on it for years, but never quite put it into motion.

cdyhybrid

I have ~30 level 1 Extremespeed Dratinis (so far, trying to breed a good one for my SS playthrough) if anyone wants one. Haven't checked IVs yet. You can get them yourself in-game, but if you want it early or something, shoot me a PM :D

FC: 4812 9260 8486

It took me forever, but I finally got my Magmortar to level 100. I also managed to upload my first battle vid(the one with you six).

thanks alot sixfortyfive

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Gravijah said:
I'd join you guys but I've never raised an actual competitive Pokemon before. I've read up on it for years, but never quite put it into motion.
Me neither, but I think I'm going to give it a try with HeartGold, because I may stick with this game until a 3DS one comes (skipping B&W if I have the willpower).

Not going to bother with IVs, because I don't have the patience for it, but I'm going to look into some good Dittos and such.

Wiseblade

Echoes said:
No prob, I'm available from another 3 hours.

So now it's me, Sixfortyfive, and Minister of the Dog, for the Pokemon Swapping Contest.

I'm in. Does it have to be an existing EV trained poke or something new?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Gravijah said:
I am willing to accept failed experiments.

Echoes

Wiseblade said:
I'm in. Does it have to be an existing EV trained poke or something new?
Your choice. You can trade failed experiments if you happen to have a lot of EV-trained Pokes. As I only have 8 EV-trained Pokes, I will have to train a new one for the contest.

Morokh

I would also be very interested in one of your Ditto Sixfortyfive if you still have one to spare

but i will only be able to trade in about 3 hours from now.

Echoes

Thanks a lot 645. You're the best.

Gravijah, consider it an open-contest. Anybody can come, swap Pokes, and go home. I decided to give my MVP to the first one who is ready to do the swapping game. When we do the trade you'll probably be saying "oh, of course" but, well, it's a cool Poke that rocked one of the Gym Rematches yesterday at Lv43 while they were all 48+, in one hit.

And no it's not a Shuckle lol.

Double D

Kurtofan said:
Elite Four beaten!
Damn Lance was hard.

Last night I beat the elite four and walked up to Lance. With the other four, I had just walked up to them, refueled my team, and talked to the trainer when I was ready. Not Lance, he automatically ropes you into battle from about 4 steps away. I had about two pokemon ready to fight at the beginning of the battle. Needless to say, he beat me. Haven't tried again since the reset.

Kurtofan

Vik_Vaughn said:
Last night I beat the elite four and walked up to Lance. With the other four, I had just walked up to them, refueled my team, and talked to the trainer when I was ready. Not Lance, he automatically ropes you into battle from about 4 steps away. I had about two pokemon ready to fight at the beginning of the battle. Needless to say, he beat me. Haven't tried again since the reset.
:lol Yeah the Champions always jump on you,that's why I generally prepare my team right after the precedent match.
I won thanks to my insolent luck(seriously beating his dragonites with a gyarados :lol ) and my heap of health items.

Gravijah

Echoes said:

Gravijah, consider it an open-contest. Anybody can come, swap Pokes, and go home. I decided to give my MVP to the first one who is ready to do the swapping game. When we do the trade you'll probably be saying "oh, of course" but, well, it's a cool Poke that rocked one of the Gym Rematches yesterday at Lv43 while they were all 48+, in one hit.

Well, what exactly are the rules/etc? If I were to join, what would I be doing?

Edit: Sorry for all the questions, I like information on things so I can figure everything out.

Echoes

Gravijah said:
  • Choose a Poke (a good nature is preferred)
  • EV-train him
  • Choose your own move-set and strategy (If you wanna begin with Char, for example, you can train him in Sp Atk for the obvious moves or go Belly Drum with a physical set. It's your choice)
  • TRADE!

In short; just EV-train a Poke and trade it with another Gaffer. The most preferred thing to me is the nickname. Throw in a nickname! It will be much more interesting IMO.

Sixfortyfive

Man, Spiky Pichu's theme is catchy as hell.

I think from now on I'm going to call the Red Gyarados the "Magikarp-colored Gyarados."

Gravijah said:

Edit: Sorry for all the questions, I like information on things so I can figure everything out.
Presumably: Breed, EV train, and evolve a Pokemon from start to finish, and give it some good battle moves. Then do a blind trade with another GAFfer.

Gravijah

Echoes said:
  • Choose a Poke (a good nature is preferred)
  • EV-train him
  • Choose your own move-set and strategy (If you wanna begin with Char, for example, you can train him in Sp Atk for the obvious moves or go Belly Drum with a physical set. It's your choice)
  • TRADE!

In short; just EV-train a Poke and trade it with another Gaffer. The most preferred thing to me is the nickname. Throw in a nickname! It will be much more interesting IMO.

Ah, alright. I'll have to research a 'Mon I could train and see if I have the time to do it. I don't have any of the EV training items, but I do have Pokerus at least.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QtN287DIv0&feature=related The encounter with a trainer themes honestly don't get much love. That one is awesome.

Edit2: Oooh, I should be running into the Macho Brace or whatever soon in Platinum... I don't remember getting it in HGSS. Maybe I already do.

Echoes

You can get a Macho Brace in HGSS by trading a Drowzee for a Machop (that holds the item) somewhere in Goldenrod Department Store. I think it's either 6F or 5F.

Gravijah

Echoes said:
You can get a Macho Brace in HGSS by trading a Drowzee for a Machop (that holds the item) somewhere in Goldenrod Department Store. I think it's either 6F or 5F.

Thanks, I haven't done the in game trades in so long because the Pokemon usually suck. I forgot they hold special things.

Sixfortyfive

I do every in-game trade for the trainer ID numbers. Gotta boost those lottery chances. The hold items are just a bonus.

Protip: The Pokemon that the NPCs trade you often have the same level, gender, nature, and IVs as the Pokemon that you give to them.

Echoes

What pisses me of is that lady who wants a female Dragonair for... a Dudrio? The fuck?

I have an unwanted female Dragonair but I'm not trading it for a Dudrio!

Kurtofan

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Damn you suck. I've been working on them for about a week. Well, I cam get through the E4 proper with little problems it's mostly Lance.
Huh?
I just did a bit of grinding today and I resetted two times against Lance,that's all.
I don't think that's so bad...

Nayishiki

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Thanks, Minister! Now to get a Snorlax. :lol

=OOOO! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE YOU! Now I just need Darkrai, Shaymin, Celebi and Jirachi and I have all the event Pokés. <3

I still have the extra Jirachi if you want it. My FC is 3653 2713 6337.

Wizpig

Echoes said:
What pisses me of is that lady who wants a female Dragonair for... a Dudrio? The fuck?

I have an unwanted female Dragonair but I'm not trading it for a Dudrio!
Yes, those kind of trades are just stupid.
I did the one that asked a Bellsprout for an Onix.
Nickname was "Roccio" and I evolved it into a Steelix :lol

Oh? A tournament? Count me in, please!

I'll have to hurry, I'm still on my way to Pokémon League, but I'm also just about to get a month vacation from job, it's Monster Hunter 3 affecting my professional and personal life. :lol

Echoes said:

I am already working on it, and I'm even trying to breed a good one with neat IVs (and maybe nature, but I'm not sure I'll be that patient). As it's a surprise contest, I won't be saying which Pokémon I'm training :D

Echoes said:

And don't you ever dare :lol

Echoes

I need a definite answer: when trading with a non-playable character, will the game automatically save afterward?

I wanna trade my shiny Dugtrio for Magneton in the Power Plant, just to see if it'll give me a shiny one.

Gravijah

Echoes said:
I need a definite answer: when trading with a non-playable character, will the game automatically save afterward?

I wanna trade my shiny Dugtrio for Magneton in the Power Plant, just to see if it'll give me a shiny one.

90% sure it will NOT save afterwards. If you really want, I can go make an in game trade in Platinum right now.

Edit: doing so now.

Sixfortyfive

Shininess is dependent on a trainer ID / secret ID combo. Considering that the trainer ID is one thing that remains unique to NPC Pokemon, I doubt it'd work. But it's worth a shot.

cdyhybrid said:
I have ~30 level 1 Extremespeed Dratinis (so far, trying to breed a good one for my SS playthrough) if anyone wants one. Haven't checked IVs yet. You can get them yourself in-game, but if you want it early or something, shoot me a PM :D

FC: 4812 9260 8486

I sent you a PM, but you never replied. Just letting you know that I'd like one of those Dratini.

Echoes

Got a regular Magneton. Well, it's a crappy nature for a shiny Magneton anyway (Lonely) and I really love my Dugtrio, but I just wanted to check. Thanks for the confirmation Gravijah!

Wizpig

Can you get that item that helps you to find Shiny Pokèmon in HeartGold? the "do 102947 chains and then hope for the best" one in DPP.

Wiseblade

Ugh, choosing a poke was really hard. It's hard to part with something after putting in so much effort into raising it. In the end it came down to a sub-salac Gallade, a Facade Swellow and the one I chose. I decided that I haven't really given the Gallade a chance and I love the Swellow too much to part with it. Everything else I use too regularly or is too terrible to give to someone else.

So when do we actually trade?

Gravijah

So I'm planning ahead a bit in my Platinum playthrough... So far I've got Luxio, Turtwig and Starravia. Gonna replace Starravia with Togepi ( now actually, need to go get one... ) and that leaves me needing a Water Pokemon and whatever else I want. I'm thinking either Tentacruel or Vaporeon, though I'm open for ideas/favorites you guys have. If I don't go with Vaporeon, I'm gonna go with Umbreon or Espeon definitely.

Edit: SHIT the Togepi in HGSS has Extrasensory, which I want. But I already hatched mine and its nature is horrible and it's nowhere near happy enough to evolve... Does anyone have a Togepi with Extrasensory that doesn't have a crappy nature, or a male Togetic/Togekiss with Extrasensory I could borrow?

Choopy

Neo Member
Gravijah said:
So I'm planning ahead a bit in my Platinum playthrough... So far I've got Luxio, Turtwig and Starravia. Gonna replace Starravia with Togepi ( now actually, need to go get one... ) and that leaves me needing a Water Pokemon and whatever else I want. I'm thinking either Tentacruel or Vaporeon, though I'm open for ideas/favorites you guys have. If I don't go with Vaporeon, I'm gonna go with Umbreon or Espeon definitely.

Edit: SHIT the Togepi in HGSS has Extrasensory, which I want. But I already hatched mine and its nature is horrible and it's nowhere near happy enough to evolve... Does anyone have a Togepi with Extrasensory that doesn't have a crappy nature, or a male Togetic/Togekiss with Extrasensory I could borrow?

I was breeding a togekiss awhile back. I think I still have one remaining egg as a result. I can give it to you when I get home if you want. Nature is 50% chance for Calm.

Gravijah

Choopy said:
I was breeding a togekiss awhile back. I think I still have one remaining egg as a result. I can give it to you when I get home if you want. Nature is 50% chance for Calm.

That'd be awesome. When will you be home?

Gravijah

Choopy said:
In 5 or so hours :lol

... @ Work :(

Oh yeah I figured. :lol I'm currently trying to evolve the Togepi I have, so if I have given up on that by the time you get home from work I'll take you up on that offer. :)

Edit: Thank GOD for Soothe Bell+E4. If I breed this Togetic with Extrasensory with a Ditto (it's male) it'll pass on Extrasensory, right?

So Serebii just posted that an event Celebi will be downloadable at japanese theatres when the new movie launches...

Man how will I ever get this one? Also means that full pokedex wont happen until July 10th :lol

Edit: New shiny = new avatar!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Last night I dreamt about shiny Pokemon ("BLUE CHARMANDER??") and having a bad hair day.

Top Bottom