• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Gravijah

Oh, don't have you on my SS for some reason, must have traded on my Pearl. My SS friend code is 1419 8897 5769. What is yours again?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Echoes said:
You're welcome guys! Have fun.

Just so everybody knows:

Ditto (31 IV in all stats) - holding Power Anklet
Sneasel

The result: A Sneasel that has 31 Speed IV due to Power Anklet.

Now;

Ditto - holding Power Bracer
The new baby Sneasel - holding Power Anklet

The result: A Sneasel that has 31 IV in Attack and Speed.

That should work, right? I will crash my head on the nearest wall if it doesn't because I read somewhere that this is a 100% sure-proof way to transfer IVs.

Edit: Serebii says it work, so yay.

I want, even if it is hacked :lol

Gravijah

GaimeGuy said:
I want, even if it is hacked :lol

Yeah I need to get my hands on one of those someday myself. :lol I plan on learning to RNG when I get further in Platinum, so I may try to get one that way.

Delio

Echoes said:
You're welcome Delio :D Is than an EV-trained Miltank?

Gravijah, 4984 7134 0994

Well it has 255 in Defense. Quick leveled the thing and apparently it sucked in just Defense Evs lol.

Echoes

Something weird is happening... I had 2 Focus Sash. Now I only have one. What the fuck? Searched through my inventory one thousand times, no luck. Removed the Focus Sash from my Pokemon, and in the items it only says 1 (so it's not lost somewhere in the bag). Searched through every Pokemon in every box; no luck. I'm sure I did not trade it to anyone.

WTF :/

Gravijah

Echoes said:
Something weird is happening... I had 2 Focus Sash. Now I only have one. What the fuck? Searched through my inventory one thousand times, no luck. Removed the Focus Sash from my Pokemon, and in the items it only says 1 (so it's not lost somewhere in the bag). Searched through every Pokemon in every box; no luck. I'm sure I did not trade it to anyone.

There's the very off chance you accidentally trashed one.

Gravijah

GaimeGuy said:
can't I just get someone to cheat and create one for me? :lol :(

or create 25, one of every nature :D

It's really time consuming so I doubt it. :lol You might be able to get someone to clone one for you.

Hero said:
Someone explain RNG to me. There's a way to consistently get good IVs?
The way the game calculates which pokemon you'll encounter next, its IVs, nature and shinyness are based off a Random Number Generator (RNG). In games and programs, RNGs need to sample a source of entropy (natural randomness) in order to "seed" the equation, otherwise, the exact same numbers would come out of the equation EVERY SINGLE TIME as there is no mathematical equation that will ever generate truly random numbers.

That last sentence is the important bit. The RNG in the 4th gen games is based entirely off the DS' internal clock as the RNG's seed upon startup. At first glance, this seems like a perfect seed since people don't typically start their DSs at 6:00:00 on the dot every single day. Instead, it'll be at 6:57:34 or even 9:03:49 (i.e. it'll probably be different every single time you start up the DS), so you'll get different, seemingly random pokemon every single time.

RNG abuse takes advantage of this by making sure that you start up the game and only take certain actions at exact times. This means that the RNG only receives the input you give it deliberately and you can "abuse" its formula to spit out perfect IV pokemon with beneficial natures and even shinyness.

The fact that the RNG only seems to resolve time down to the second (correct me if I'm wrong) rather than the millisecond or tenth of a second means that it's relatively easy to do given a bit of practice.

Anyway, before you do it, you'll need to have encountered a wild shiny pokemon in your game (pretty sure the Red Gyarados from the Lake of Rage doesn't count) in order to find out what some of the variables your game is using in its RNG (they're unique from game to game, you see). Once you've worked out what the formula is, it's a simple matter of using an app to calculate what will happen next and how to manipulate the events to your advantage.

GaimeGuy

Gravijah said:
It's really time consuming so I doubt it. :lol You might be able to get someone to clone one for you.
I mean with hax, like pokesav or something. I don't expect someone to get me a ditto from RNG abuse. :p

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Echoes said:

You had to have accidentally tossed it. It's really easy to do.

Maximus.

Echoes said:

same thing happened to me, Gengar was holding onto it one day, focus sash did its thing and after the battle it was gone forever :(

Gravijah

viciouskillersquirrel said:
The way the game calculates which pokemon you'll encounter next, its IVs, nature and shinyness are based off a Random Number Generator (RNG). In games and programs, RNGs need to sample a source of entropy (natural randomness) in order to "seed" the equation, otherwise, the exact same numbers would come out of the equation EVERY SINGLE TIME as there is no mathematical equation that will ever generate truly random numbers.

That last sentence is the important bit. The RNG in the 4th gen games is based entirely off the DS' internal clock as the RNG's seed upon startup. At first glance, this seems like a perfect seed since people don't typically start their DSs at 6:00:00 on the dot every single day. Instead, it'll be at 6:57:34 or even 9:03:49 (i.e. it'll probably be different every single time you start up the DS), so you'll get different, seemingly random pokemon every single time.

RNG abuse takes advantage of this by making sure that you start up the game and only take certain actions at exact times. This means that the RNG only receives the input you give it deliberately and you can "abuse" its formula to spit out perfect IV pokemon with beneficial natures and even shinyness.

The fact that the RNG only seems to resolve time down to the second (correct me if I'm wrong) rather than the millisecond or tenth of a second means that it's relatively easy to do given a bit of practice.

Anyway, before you do it, you'll need to have encountered a wild shiny pokemon in your game (pretty sure the Red Gyarados from the Lake of Rage doesn't count) in order to find out what some of the variables your game is using in its RNG (they're unique from game to game, you see). Once you've worked out what the formula is, it's a simple matter of using an app to calculate what will happen next and how to manipulate the events to your advantage.

You can also get someone else to extract your secret ID too, I don't remember what exactly they do. They might be using a flashcart, iirc.

I mean with hax, like pokesav or something. I don't expect someone to get me a ditto from RNG abuse. :p

You now, there's a way to transfer pokesav Pokemon to your game through WiFi. If you wanted (I've never used Pokesav before) I could mess around and try to make one.

GaimeGuy

Gravijah said:
You now, there's a way to transfer pokesav Pokemon to your game through WiFi. If you wanted (I've never used Pokesav before) I could mess around and try to make one.
... there is? :eek:

Edit: Just found it. O:

Gravijah

GaimeGuy said:
... there is? :eek:

I made a Ditto, now to see if this turned out right. I'll show you how to send through GTS in a moment, too.

Edit: Well, it worked. :lol I forgot to change some values though, so I now have a Ditto made Jan 0 2000, with no ability and no OT. But it has all 31 IVs! And it's Modest! Do you want it? :lol I don't really want it, feels a bit too dirty to me.

You said you found it, but just to be sure http://community.livejournal.com/pokewifi/2167924.html that's the method I used.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

Damn it! Entei and Raikou are fucking annoying! Any help on having a roar-flee catching team? I could probably do a Mean Look -> Baton Pass -> Ingrain, but that takes three turns, and either might Roar.

MNC

Put them to sleep so they won't roar and it only takes 2 turns? Not sure what Ingrain does.

And how come none of my eggs contain Bonsly :mad: I keep getting sudowoodo instead!

OMG Aero

Echoes said:

Fraull said:
same thing happened to me, Gengar was holding onto it one day, focus sash did its thing and after the battle it was gone forever :(

When Focus Sash is used in battle it is used up and disappears like a berry does. This is to offset the fact that it has a 100% success rate sometimes instead of relying on luck all the time like the Focus Band does.

Like berries, if used in online battles you get it back after the battle.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
MNC said:
Put them to sleep so they won't roar and it only takes 2 turns? Not sure what Ingrain does.

Ingrain roots your mon to the ground so that it won't be scared by Roar and it'll recover health as well.

Here's what happens though.

Turn 1: Espeon Mean Look
Turn 2: Baton Pass to Tangela
Turn 3: Ingrain

Does Espeon learn Hypnosis?

Wichu

OMG Aero said:
This is to offset the fact that it has a 100% success rate sometimes instead of relying on luck all the time like the Focus Band does.
More like to stop Shedinja becoming way too overpowered :lol

Gravijah

Heading to my second badge in Platinum and I already have 4 Pokemon I'm using that I like. Keeping everyone leveled isn't gonna be fun but at least Platinum has the Vs. Seeker.

Wiseblade

Ookami-kun said:
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

Damn it! Entei and Raikou are fucking annoying! Any help on having a roar-flee catching team? I could probably do a Mean Look -> Baton Pass -> Ingrain, but that takes three turns, and either might Roar.

I could trade you a couple master balls if you want.

Gravijah

Big Ass Ramp said:
omgomgomgomgogm it totally works! I now have the ultimate HM slave: Mew. :D

I personally just use it to bring in cloned versions of event Pokemon, as I always feel icky doing anything more. Damn conscience!

Delio

Gravijah said:
I made a Ditto, now to see if this turned out right. I'll show you how to send through GTS in a moment, too.

Edit: Well, it worked. :lol I forgot to change some values though, so I now have a Ditto made Jan 0 2000, with no ability and no OT. But it has all 31 IVs! And it's Modest! Do you want it? :lol I don't really want it, feels a bit too dirty to me.

You said you found it, but just to be sure http://community.livejournal.com/pokewifi/2167924.html that's the method I used.

wtf i never knew you could do it like that. Thanks for that link :O

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Gravijah said:
I personally just use it to bring in cloned versions of event Pokemon, as I always feel icky doing anything more. Damn conscience!

I would too if it was for anything other than an HM slave. Managing HM users is just annoying.

Gravijah said:
Me too, and it's not like there's any chance to get some of the events right now, besides getting them from a friend (which this pretty much simulates)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Would having both Ice Beam and Grass Knot be overkill?

Oh and does anyone have any EV-reducing berries they can spare, particularly Qualot and Tamato? I have some Heart Scales I can trade.

Firestorm

Ookami-kun said:
Ingrain roots your mon to the ground so that it won't be scared by Roar and it'll recover health as well.

Here's what happens though.

Turn 1: Espeon Mean Look
Turn 2: Baton Pass to Tangela
Turn 3: Ingrain

Does Espeon learn Hypnosis?
Espeon learns Taunt which will not allow it to use Roar for a couple of turns.

Edit: I'm pretty sure Espeon doesn't have Mean Look. I assume you mean Umbreon?

Top Bottom