• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

C'mon guys, join us in this contest, it'll be fun!

Pokémon Swapping Contest

Echoes said:
  • Choose a Poke (a good nature is preferred)
  • EV-train him
  • Choose your own move-set and strategy (If you wanna begin with Char, for example, you can train him in Sp Atk for the obvious moves or go Belly Drum with a physical set. It's your choice)
  • TRADE!

In short; just EV-train a Poke and trade it with another Gaffer. The most preferred thing to me is the nickname. Throw in a nickname! It will be much more interesting IMO.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Firestorm said:
Espeon learns Taunt which will not allow it to use Roar for a couple of turns.

Edit: I'm pretty sure Espeon doesn't have Mean Look. I assume you mean Umbreon?

Damn, I meant Umbreon XP

Wiseblade said:
Ok, Just come online with two junk pokemon and we'll trade.

Friend Code: 4855 6559 9196

Ok, mine is 0990 4059 5158

Wee done with my Ghost trio! Unfortunately the program screwed up while saving the Haunter so it's not in hi res.

gastlysm.jpg

hi res

hauntyourdreams.jpg

gengarsm.jpg

hi res

Ookami-kun said:
Ingrain roots your mon to the ground so that it won't be scared by Roar and it'll recover health as well.

Here's what happens though.

Turn 1: Espeon Mean Look
Turn 2: Baton Pass to Tangela
Turn 3: Ingrain

Does Espeon learn Hypnosis?

I don't think that would actually work, every time I've faced Raikou and Entei they've always done the exact same thing. First turn they always attempt to run, which Mean Look blocks, second turn they always use Roar. If you Baton Pass after using Mean Look they will just use Roar before you can use Ingrain with Tangela. You would have to Baton Pass to Octillery or another Pokemon with an ability that prevents Roar/Whirlwind working.

I've always had to either use Mean Look followed by Hypnosis (and pray it hits) or put them to sleep, let them run, track them back down and then use Mean Look.

Firestorm

Azure Phoenix said:
I don't think that would actually work, every time I've faced Raikou and Entei they've always done the exact same thing. First turn they always attempt to run, which Mean Look blocks, second turn they always use Roar. If you Baton Pass after using Mean Look they will just use Roar before you can use Ingrain with Tangela. You would have to Baton Pass to Octillery or another Pokemon with an ability that prevents Roar/Whirlwind working.

I've always had to either use Mean Look followed by Hypnosis (and pray it hits) or put them to sleep, let them run, track them back down and then use Mean Look.
Or Mean Look -> Taunt. Roar always goes second so speed will not matter.

Also:
100411.gif

CryptiK

Caught Lugia my god it was annoying as fuck he was on 1 health and paralysed and still manage to break out of 30 dusk/ultra balls GAHHH but in the end when I had 1 Pokemon left Red Gyarados on 6HP I won I cuaght it after an hour I finally did it! fuck you lugia now fucking Ho-oh is going to be a bitch

Gravijah

Minister of the Dog said:
How come it takes people so long to catch the legendaries? It's usually never taken me more than 15-30 minutes =/

Obviously you've never tried to catch the horror that is FRLG Mewtwo.

Azure Phoenix said:
Yup, hence why I always keep it on my Togepi. It's funny as hell when you randomly get Self Destruct or a high damage super effective move.

Yeah that's who I have it on. :lol Randomly dying is never fun though because I lose happiness.

Edit: Does anyone know somewhere to find various fonts from Pokemon games, to use on Windows?

Edit2: Wait, isn't today NPD day or am I remembering wrong? I can't wait to see how well Pokemon does.

cdyhybrid said:
E4 rematch, here we go...

I just found a great tactic against Lance. First, my Alakazam uses Trick on his Salamence so he won't stay awake when Venusaur uses Sleep Powder. After Salamence is asleep, I switch to Dragonite who uses Dragon Dance one or two times, only to use Outrage and OHKO Salamence, Altaria, Dragonite, Garchomp and Gyarados if I'm lucky (if I'm not, I still get rid of 2/3 of his Pokémon). Gyarados and Charizard don't stand a chance against my Ampharos, and even my Typhlosion can 2HKO Charizard with fire attacks. So, the only real troublesome member of his party is Garchomp.

So awesome.

cdyhybrid

Minister of the Dog said:
I just found a great tactic against Lance. First, my Alakazam uses Trick on his Salamence so he won't stay awake when Venusaur uses Sleep Powder. After Salamence is asleep, I switch to Dragonite who uses Dragon Dance one or two times, only to use Outrage and OHKO Salamence, Altaria, Dragonite, Garchomp and Gyarados if I'm lucky (if I'm not, I still get rid of 2/3 of his Pokémon). Gyarados and Charizard don't stand a chance against my Ampharos, and even my Typhlosion can 2HKO Charizard with fire attacks. So, the only real troublesome member of his party is Garchomp.

So awesome.

I'm just planning to have my Choice Specs Starmie sweep him. On an unrelated note, FUCK Karen's Umbreon. Give me THAT version of Confuse Ray, the one that keeps the opponent from attacking 100 fucking percent of the time.

Edit:
1zfu536.jpg

Wizpig

I've put a Sandslash (l.17-18) up on the GTS, asking for any Meowth, if any of you guys got one can you consider the trade?

Anyway, I forgot how frustrating chasing the legendary dogs was. god...
cdyhybrid said:
Cool looking team except for Starmie, but why did you ditch your starter? poor thing...

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Ondore said:
ATTN: Anyone soft resetting or RNGing for Raikou/Entei/Suicune:

STOP.
But I am a glutton for punishment.

<- beaten the elite 4 about ten times now
<- all six of my in-game team members are at lv72-75
<- bout $750000 on hand and $900000 in the First National Bank of Mom
<- still haven't successfully landed on the correct frame for Entei, Raikou, or Latias

:(

Other than Rayquaza, these are the only legendaries I have left to catch.

Echoes said:
[Power Bracer + Anklet stuff]

The result: A Sneasel that has 31 IV in Attack and Speed.

That should work, right? I will crash my head on the nearest wall if it doesn't because I read somewhere that this is a 100% sure-proof way to transfer IVs.

Edit: Serebii says it work, so yay.
Some Smogonites were saying that this actually doesn't work. Only one IV is guaranteed.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
The fact that the RNG only seems to resolve time down to the second (correct me if I'm wrong) rather than the millisecond or tenth of a second means that it's relatively easy to do given a bit of practice.

Anyway, before you do it, you'll need to have encountered a wild shiny pokemon in your game (pretty sure the Red Gyarados from the Lake of Rage doesn't count) in order to find out what some of the variables your game is using in its RNG (they're unique from game to game, you see). Once you've worked out what the formula is, it's a simple matter of using an app to calculate what will happen next and how to manipulate the events to your advantage.
1) Close. There are two instances where timing comes into play when abusing the RNG: when the game boots (exact to the second), and when you select Continue on the main menu (exact to every 2nd frame, or 1/30th of a second to be precise).

2) You only need your secret ID if you care about shinies. Everything else can be manipulated without it. The Magikarp-colored Gyarados actually can be used to help deduce your secret ID, but you'd need to catch one, check its stats, reset, catch another one, and keep repeating this so that you have enough information to work with. (I don't know the specifics, as I do not care about shinies.)

Ookami-kun said:
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

Damn it! Entei and Raikou are fucking annoying! Any help on having a roar-flee catching team? I could probably do a Mean Look -> Baton Pass -> Ingrain, but that takes three turns, and either might Roar.
This is what I use:

Sixfortyfive said:
Smeargle
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Jolly
Level: 35 (purposely this low so that repels work when searching for Latios/Latias)
EVs: max Speed, balanced defenses
- Mean Look
- Ingrain
- Double Team
- Baton Pass

Breloom
Item: Toxic Orb
Nature: Adamant
Level: 45
EVs: max Atk + Speed
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb
- False Swipe
- Spore

Sixfortyfive said:
Bring Smeargle and Breloom when you're after a roamer. Bring only Breloom when you're after a stationary legend. Level up Smeargle until it matches the level of the roamer that you're searching for. Use repels to keep wild Pokemon of lower levels from appearing. (Smeargle must be faster than the roamer in order to use Mean Look. You may have to level him up some more to catch a particularly fast Latios/Latias/Raikou/Entei in HGSS or Zapdos in Platinum, in which case you'd have to not use Repels. Breloom's level can be as high as you want to take it as long as you have the badges for it.)

Lead with Smeargle:
- Mean Look to keep it from running.
- Ingrain to keep it from Roaring you.
- Double Team six times to max out evasion. (optional)
- Baton Pass to transfer all of these attributes to Breloom.

Switch to Breloom:
- Swords Dance three times to max out attack. (optional, but useful against those w/ recovery moves)
- Seed Bomb is just filler.
- False Swipe to knock it down to 1 HP.
- Spore to put it to sleep.
- Start chucking Pokeballs, and reuse False Swipe and Spore when needed.
Ingrain is superior to Taunt because (1) it's permanent and does not require you to reuse it if Baton Passed, and (2) it doesn't prevent the opponent from using Roar (which would make it Struggle faster); it simply makes Roar ineffective.

cdyhybrid

Wizpig said:
Cool looking team except for Starmie, but why did you ditch your starter? poor thing...

That'll be my battling team, I actually traded away my Quilava just recently. If I hadn't gotten the Flare Blitz/Sunny Day/Morning Sun Growlithe from this very thread, Typhlosion would be in my team :p

I read somewhere that there's a way to use the Battle Frontier to auto-level newly hatched Pokes to 50 and check their stats for IV purposes...is that true? Also, they don't get EVs from Battle Frontier battles right? Since there's no EXP gained...

Masked Man

I said wow
Sixfortyfive said:
<- still haven't successfully landed on the correct frame for Entei, Raikou, or Latias

I'm pretty sure that, if you just walk--don't run!--in the grass on the route indicated for each Pokémon on the Pokégear, you should encounter said Pokémon pretty quickly. That's what I did, and I got it on the first encounter almost every time. Using a Repel might also help.

cdyhybrid

Vect said:
Anyone got a spare lvl 5 or 10 Dratini? Just started and want one real bad to raise.

I can give you a level 1 Dratini that knows ExtremeSpeed, but I'm in the middle of an attempt at the Battle Tower (my first time~). I can hook you up afterward, though.

I'm on the door to Elite Four! Here's my team:

Feraligatr (50)
Parasect (50)
Arbok (50)
Lickilicky (50)

:lol

:'(

Of course I'm going to put two other random PKMNs that may inflict status effects, like sleep or poison.

I DO HAVE A CHANCE GAF!

cdyhybrid

Sammy Samusu said:
I'm on the door to Elite Four! Here's my team:

Feraligatr (50)
Parasect (50)
Arbok (50)
Lickilicky (50)

:lol

:'(

Of course I'm going to put two other random PKMNs that may inflict status effects, like sleep or poison.

I DO HAVE A CHANCE GAF!

Lance might give you some trouble unless your Feraligatr knows Ice Fang or something. Otherwise you should be alright.

Sixfortyfive

Masked Man said:
I'm pretty sure that, if you just walk--don't run!--in the grass on the route indicated for each Pokémon on the Pokégear, you should encounter said Pokémon pretty quickly. That's what I did, and I got it on the first encounter almost every time. Using a Repel might also help.
Thanks, but you're mistaken as to what I'm actually trying to do.

If you faint the roamers, then perform some very specific and obtuse actions, then beat the elite four without fucking any of these specific things up, the roaming legendaries will respawn with stats of your choosing. But it is somewhat dependent on things outside of your control and it takes forever to just slog through the elite four over and over.

Styles

cdyhybrid said:
I can give you a level 1 Dratini that knows ExtremeSpeed, but I'm in the middle of an attempt at the Battle Tower (my first time~). I can hook you up afterward, though.

Before that though, is Dratini in the pokedex post E4?

Thanks if possible! Placing my friend code in advance either way: 3782 1696 6690

Edit: Never mind I just remembered you have to fight a Dragon gym leader who uses them

cdyhybrid

Vect said:
Before that though, is Dratini in the pokedex post E4?

Thanks if possible! Placing my friend code in advance either way: 3782 1696 6690

No clue! Here's mine for when I finish. On opponent #6, gonna quit if/when I beat #21.

FC: 4812 9260 8486

Edit: Actually, it seems you can leave after #7. Heading to the Pokemon Center, I'll be online in a few.

Masked Man

I said wow
Sixfortyfive said:

If you faint the roamers, then perform some very specific and obtuse actions, then beat the elite four without fucking any of these specific things up, the roaming legendaries will respawn with stats of your choosing. But it is somewhat dependent on things outside of your control and it takes forever to just slog through the elite four over and over.

Oh, sounds like a pain! D= Well, I wish you luck in your endeavor!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Sixfortyfive said:

And here I thought just getting good Dittos was a pain in the ass. :lol

Luckily though, there's a Luvdisc swarm today to take my mind off of it! 38 Scales and counting! Love my thieving Aipom.

Styles

cdyhybrid said:
No clue! Here's mine for when I finish. On opponent #6, gonna quit if/when I beat #21.

FC: 4812 9260 8486

Edit: Actually, it seems you can leave after #7. Heading to the Pokemon Center, I'll be online in a few.

Okay

Sixfortyfive

Anybody up for a battle in a few minutes?

Lyphen said:
And here I thought just getting good Dittos was a pain in the ass. :lol
Abusing for normal wild Pokemon is child's play for me now. Sometimes I get it on the very first attempt. Spiky Pichu took like 15 minutes tops.

The roamers are a nightmare. Probably going to give it a rest for a while.

Sixfortyfive said:

Abusing for normal wild Pokemon is child's play for me now. Sometimes I get it on the very first attempt. Spiky Pichu took like 15 minutes tops.

I'll be on if you'd like.

Fake edit:
Does anyone know if the Rare candy glitch still works in Gen IV?

Gravijah

Sixfortyfive said:

At least I'm really good at timing shit. Once I'm done with Platinum, it'll finally be time to take that journey towards RNGing.

MNC

Sixfortyfive said:

Do you mean the stats for spiky pichu, or messing some things ingame so you can recreate a wild spiky pichu without event?

cdyhybrid said:
Lance might give you some trouble unless your Feraligatr knows Ice Fang or something. Otherwise you should be alright.
Thank you, my Feraligatr knows Ice Fang, hehehe.

Just a side note: my Arbok beated Heart's whole team at victory Road, Meganium was something special because I used Headbutt , like... eight times and all of them caused flinch. :lol

suikodan

Any idea if Nintendo plans on continuing gifts and special events via Wi-fi?

I see all those things in Japan with the game and can't help being a bit jealous over what NoA could do for us NA players.

Top Bottom