• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Teknoman

Dreavus said:
Even worse is that in most cases the Pokemon in question becomes friends with their trainer. What the fuck? I could understand some fringe cases where the trainer happens to save it's life, or raise the Pokemon from a young age, but in most cases... That human just tore you away from your home/family and now he's your best friend? There is some serious Stockholm syndrome going on there I think.

What makes things worse is when it happens with Pokemon like you described; the very intelligent ones. Heck almost all Pokemon have the capacity for language to some degree (amongst each other at least) so it's not really like training an animal... Man, I think this universe just falls apart when you think about it too hard. :lol

Cant you say the same for any animal? Or like when dogs come from the pound? We brought home our chihuahua full grown about 4 years ago, she seemed to not like me at all, and the feeling was mutual for me (since I was at home and then bam, chihuahua).

Dunno when it happened exactly, but after about a few weeks, something clicked, and you couldnt stop her from following me everywhere and jumping into any chair I was sitting in/sleeping under my bed.

EDIT: When it comes time for casual GAF battles/ GAF tournament, would anyone complain if I used Pokemon like Heatran, Groundon, or Mewtwo? I know they are powerful...but they can be taken down just like the rest.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Teknoman said:
EDIT: When it comes time for casual GAF battles/ GAF tournament, would anyone complain if I used Pokemon like Heatran, Groundon, or Mewtwo? I know they are powerful...but they can be taken down just like the rest.
For tournaments, I expect that we'll either follow Nintendo's ban list or Smogon's ban list. I wouldn't mind banning legendaries altogether, as the OCD-addled players who make sure to soft-reset for good legendaries would have a pretty big advantage otherwise, and I don't really care for that.

Casual matches don't really matter as long as you clarify what rules you want to use beforehand.

Teknoman

BANNED POKEMON ARE AS FOLLOWS:

Mew
Celebi
Jirachi
Deoxys (all forms)
Phione
Manaphy
Darkrai
Shaymin
Arceus

You may use UP TO TWO UBERS PER TEAM (probably means Team Sheet as well). This means that you cannot have a team like Kyogre/Palkia/Dialga/Mewtwo. Non-banned Ubers are considered to be:

Mewtwo
Lugia
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina

Nintendo's list seems fair to me.

Balb

Teknoman said:

Mew
Celebi
Jirachi
Deoxys (all forms)
Phione
Manaphy
Darkrai
Shaymin
Arceus

You may use UP TO TWO UBERS PER TEAM (probably means Team Sheet as well). This means that you cannot have a team like Kyogre/Palkia/Dialga/Mewtwo. Non-banned Ubers are considered to be:

Mewtwo
Lugia
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina

That's a pretty broken list. Smogon rules are a better bet.

Anyone know where I can buy the Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver Super Music Complete soundtrack for cheap?

Play-Asia is out of stock, and Yes-Asia charges $31.99. CD Japan charges like $40 for Airmail shipping + price of the cd...no way in hell.

Teknoman

Balb said:
That's a pretty broken list. Smogon rules are a better bet.

Smogon:

Arceus
Darkrai
Deoxys
Deoxys-A
Deoxys-D
Deoxys-S
Dialga
Garchomp
Giratina
Giratina-O
Groudon
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Latios
Lugia
Manaphy
Mew
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Shaymin-S
Wobbuffet
Wynaut

I guess that does cover a few more bases.

Regarding the difficulty of HG/SS, it's pretty easy actually. Considering that I haven't played pokemon for years I hardly run into any difficulties, I think I had two gym leader battles where I was unprepared and got served but otherwise it's not that much of a challenge, just fought my way through Team Rocket in Goldenrod city (I was supposed to go to the hair salon and ends up with this huge battle, was fun :lol ).

Pokéthlon and the PokeWalker are sucking up sooo much time. There's so much stuff to do in the Pokéthlon, medals, trophies and breaking records, and new prizes each day, it's pretty much a game within the game. The PokeWalker is just crazy with the amoun of walking needed to be done for some of the later stages.

Balb said:
Got 2 Pichus from GameStop (pearl/platinum). Pumped for some Heart Gold.
Are you interested in trading one of them? It looks like it wont come to Europe, and I would love to be able to unlock the event in HG with it. Send a PM if you want to trade. Thanks

OMG Aero

Teknoman said:

Mew
Celebi
Jirachi
Deoxys (all forms)
Phione
Manaphy
Darkrai
Shaymin
Arceus

Mewtwo
Lugia
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina

So you can have a Mewtwo and a Rayquaza in the same team? That list doesn't seem fair at all.

RPG_Fanatic said:
Looks like Americans will be able to Jirachi through gamestop shortly after the pichu event is over.

http://blog.kolma.info/2010/01/jirachi-gamestop-giveaway-coming-soon.html

Why can't these events be through Wi-Fi. It completely screws over us Canadians, since Gamestop see no need to bring this service over the border. :(

Darn. Time to get off my ass and pick up my Shaymin. I already missed out on the Arceus giveaway; not going to miss Jirachi!

Now to learn/master the art of RNG abusing Wondercard Pokemon lol.

Gravijah

Little Green Yoda said:
Darn. Time to get off my ass and pick up my Shaymin. I already missed out on the Arceus giveaway; not going to miss Jirachi!

Now to learn/master the art of RNG abusing Wondercard Pokemon lol.

Hm?

Edit: Ah, nm.

Llyranor

Never really played a main Pokemon game, though I enjoyed the CCG on GBC. How's the pacing of the games? Is it worthwhile for players who aren't OCD gamers (or trying not to be :/ ) and aren't in it to collect them all?

As I understand it, you can have up to 6 Pokemon in your active roster, but only 1 at a time in battle. Do you feel that limits the tactical options? Usually, do you regularly switch new Pokemon in and out of your party, leading to diversity of combat, or is it more the case of finding your ideal party and sticking with it (would be much more interested in the former)? if you catch new Pokemon, do they start at low level, requiring you to grind them up?

I'm tentatively interested in the series, and the appeal of constantly finding new Pokemon is nice, but I'd want to be either to switch them into my roster on the fly and just continue on my journey - without having to grind to level them up first, as I'd feel as that might feel a bit too tedious to my tastes (hence the pacing question).

ivysaur12

Banned
Teknoman said:

Mew
Celebi
Jirachi
Deoxys (all forms)
Phione
Manaphy
Darkrai
Shaymin
Arceus

Mewtwo
Lugia
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina

Why ban Shaymin?

They need to ban all Ubers, honestly.

OMG Aero

ivysaur12 said:
Why ban Shaymin?

They need to ban all Ubers, honestly.
Shaymin is probably banned because of its alternate form.
I remember for a short time Rotom was banned even though it isn't a legendary because you needed an event to unlock its other forms.

Bentendo

Went out to get Pichu yesterday. Went to one GameStop, and when nothing happened I was worried. Turns out they WERE doing the promotion but it broke down. So then I had to go all the way to the mall and get the Shiny Pichu in the GameStop there. By the end I think I drove 30+ miles just so I could get a Pichu... :lol

Magni

Llyranor said:
Never really played a main Pokemon game, though I enjoyed the CCG on GBC. How's the pacing of the games? Is it worthwhile for players who aren't OCD gamers (or trying not to be :/ ) and aren't in it to collect them all?

As I understand it, you can have up to 6 Pokemon in your active roster, but only 1 at a time in battle. Do you feel that limits the tactical options? Usually, do you regularly switch new Pokemon in and out of your party, leading to diversity of combat, or is it more the case of finding your ideal party and sticking with it (would be much more interested in the former)? if you catch new Pokemon, do they start at low level, requiring you to grind them up?

I'm tentatively interested in the series, and the appeal of constantly finding new Pokemon is nice, but I'd want to be either to switch them into my roster on the fly and just continue on my journey - without having to grind to level them up first, as I'd feel as that might feel a bit too tedious to my tastes (hence the pacing question).

Wow, you've never played any main Pokémon game ever? TCG (Pokémon Black I called it :lol ) was sweet, but this is something else.

Your questions:

Only 1 Pokémon out at a time? Not a problem, there's double battles as well, but Pokémon has always been about 1v1 for me. And a battle isn't limited to one fight, usually both trainers (not NPCs) have six Pokémon.

Regularly switch Pokémon from my party? Yes and no, depends on the playthrough I'm doing. For the SP there is no 'ideal team', choose who you want from the get-go, or switch it up as you advance, you do what you want :)

Wild Pokémon are around the level of your team as you progress through the story. But a level 25 wild Pokémon has lower stats than a level 25 trained Pokémon. It's not hard to raise up to par a low-level Pokémon. I usually breed wild Pokémon I catch to get better stats (catch a level 41 Rhyhorn, but breed it to get a level 5 Rhyhorn so that by the time I've got it trained to level 41 like its parent, it'll have much better stats). For a first playthrough you don't have to worry about that.

Further reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gameplay_of_Pokémon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gameplay_of_Pokémon

There is so much stuff to read about, browse Bulbapedia a bit :)

With so many Pokémon, moves, types, abilities, stats, items, etc, no one playthrough of Pokémon is the same. No one player has the same team except at ultra high level, where people take the ultimate Pokémon for competitive play, bred to have the best possible stats, movesets and give them the best possible held item for their purpose. And even then it's not like every "Pro" Pokémon player has the same team.

Pokémon is great in that it's very easy to get into, but very complex at well. You will not be finished with the game in thirty hours, nor in sixty, nor in a hundred. You'll never be finished with it, which, don't worry, is a good thing.

Llyranor said:
When not going for all pokemons, secrets and stuff, the pacing depends on how many pokemon you are dedicated to. The maingame is made so you almost don't have to grind in order to beat it, less grinding also means tougher difficulty of course.

For challenging battles switching pokemons is natural and sorta a must. Type weakness/strength is the main factor of the gameplay afterall. There are also double battles(2vs2) which are pretty exciting. A lot of moves also play into the swicthing aspect.

When you add new pokemons to your party the'll often need some grind to get on par with your group, but they'll quickly reach that. I have a team of 6 pokemon which is sorta my main team and then I have around 10 others of equal levels just to spice it up once in a while. Though concentrating on 16 pokemons is very time consuming.

EzLink

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
Doesn't really matter. Since he's at level 100 already, you can't fully EV train him and his stat potential is more in line with Mew (base 100 for each stat) than a normal Arceus (base 120). The only worthwhile unique move that this Arceus has over the Spear Pillar one is Spacial Rend, and after you factor in the stat handicap, it's not really any better than a normal Arceus w/ Dragon Pulse.

If you want to train a competitive Arceus, wait for Nintendo to distribute the Azure Flute via Mystery Gift. Just grab this one for the HGSS unlock it gives you.

I read that in Diamond and Pearl that there is some PC box trick you can do to give level 100 pokemon all of their EVs. I also read that it was taken out of platinum. Do you (or anyone else) know what I'm talking about? I wasn't able to find specifics on how the trick works, but if its true I can just ev train in pearl and use some TMs to give it good moves. I know it won't be the most powerful arceus possible but I'd still like to have it as strong as I can get it, considering nobody knows when the Azure Flute will even be distrubuted

survivor

Banned
Did you guys check Serebii lately? He has the US names of some of the characters, items and places for the games.

Kotone is now named Lyra.

Magni

I spent my afternoon reading up on EV training, IVs, SID, RNG, and pokéradar chaining :lol
Decided to profile one of my pokes for the first time, here's my Azelf freshly caught yesterday (0 EVs):

Azelf - Bold (Def + / Atk -)

IVs:

HP: 8
Att: 28
Def: 30
SpA: 24
SpD: 15
Spe: 30

Hidden Power:

Type: Steel
Power: 57

---

Is this good?

Zilch

Banned
Picked up 2 Pikachu-colored Pichus today. I guess I can probably give one away sometime, but that would mean switching my router to WEP and blah...

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
MagniHarvald said:
I spent my afternoon reading up on EV training, IVs, SID, RNG, and pokéradar chaining :lol
Decided to profile one of my pokes for the first time, here's my Azelf freshly caught yesterday (0 EVs):

Azelf - Bold (Def + / Atk -)

IVs:

HP: 8
Att: 28
Def: 30
SpA: 24
SpD: 15
Spe: 30

Hidden Power:

Type: Steel
Power: 57

---

Is this good?
Bold isn't good at all. The IV's aren't too bad, especially the near perfect speed IV, but bold is kind of wasted on a special attacker. All in all it is ok.

Firestorm

RE: Smogon vs Nintendo

Smogon's ban list is based on their battling ability. Nintendo's ban list is based on the mythology of the games. You can see why Smogon's might be more widely accepted. Nintendo's is also meant for 2v2 with 4 Pokemon each while Smogon's is 1v1 with 6 Pokemon each.

EzLink said:
I read that in Diamond and Pearl that there is some PC box trick you can do to give level 100 pokemon all of their EVs. I also read that it was taken out of platinum. Do you (or anyone else) know what I'm talking about? I wasn't able to find specifics on how the trick works, but if its true I can just ev train in pearl and use some TMs to give it good moves.
I know how it worked (the Box Trick) in Gen 1. The EVs of Gen 1; stat experience (or at least thats what they used to call it) was gained each time you killed an enemy (the enemies highest base stat was stat experience for that stat), however you wouldn't see any stat gain until the stats were re-calculated. There are 3 (maybe 4) ways this happens:
-level up (doesn't matter how)
-use a vitamin (I'm not sure but in theory it should)
-despot monster into PC (since vitamins max out about 1/3 of the way to the total and at level 100 you cannot level up)
-evolution through stone/trading? (or that weird stoneless evolution glitch)

I seem to remember depositing monster into PC working in Gen 3 but never tried it at level 100 (but the EV system is a lot easier to max out than stat experience; though stat experiance requires no planning as you can cap all stats it is a much more tedious grindfest as it was something like ~600 Electrodes, Cloysters, Chanseys has to be defeated and I can't remember the rest).

I've never tried it in Gen4 but it would seem weird if they took it out. Maybe what Sixfortyfive means by not fully is vitamins still work (which would mean you can only get 100 EV in any stat)?

So basically, that how it worked but I don't know if it works in modern games.

Still, I don't get Nintendo's priorities at times. Let's remove harmless glitches in Platinum (I wonder if they also removed the check Egg nature glitch as well). Let's keep the hail rain weather bug.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Firestorm said:
RE: Smogon vs Nintendo

Smogon's ban list is based on their battling ability. Nintendo's ban list is based on the mythology of the games. You can see why Smogon's might be more widely accepted. Nintendo's is also meant for 2v2 with 4 Pokemon each while Smogon's is 1v1 with 6 Pokemon each.
Glad you're back! You should take over the tournament, in my opinion.

OMG Aero

Zilch said:
Picked up 2 Pikachu-colored Pichus today. I guess I can probably give one away sometime, but that would mean switching my router to WEP and blah...
If you do decide to give it away, I'd love it, feed it, take care of it
and not just shove it in the PC like a compulsive collector.
FootNinja said:
There's a tournament?

Bit-Bit said:
This. Why won't Nintendo release one for the DS? It's perfect for it. PERFECT.

Well, the bastards haven't even released Card Hero. Nintendo SPD 1 + Intelligent Systems = BEST GAME EVA!
I have no idea how good it actually was.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Is the news about no Game Corner Slot Machines in the PAL versions new?

OMG Aero

VOOK said:
Is the news about no Game Corner Slot Machines in the PAL versions new?
Serebii is saying that the Game corner machines in the English versions of the game are replaced by minesweeper-like games. He's probably talking about the US version, but I would guess that they have done this to get around gambling restrictions that were in other countries.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
OMG Aero said:
Serebii is saying that the Game corner machines in the English versions of the game are replaced by minesweeper-like games. He's probably talking about the US version, but I would guess that they have done this to get around gambling restrictions that were in other countries.

The PAL version has it too :(

Wiseblade

It's a shame about the romoval of the slot machines, the DPP game corner was the best yet (in that I didn't suck at it).

Fake edit: What's this I hear about a tournament?!

Magni

Are "gambling" (no real money involved afterall) prohibited in Europe now? That sucks =(

Edit: good to have you back Firestorm =)

Edit 2: Can anyone help me find my SID?

Anyone wanna help me with some trade evolutions (Kadabra, Onix, Haunter, ect.)

I have 6 pokemon ready to evolve via trading, but having to trade each pokemon back means that only 3 can be done, correct?

FC is 5156 4291 4002

Hope that someone will help me out.

MagniHarvald said:
Are "gambling" (no real money involved afterall) prohibited in Europe now? That sucks =(
Gabling is fine the problem lies in the fact that the PEGI ratings will give the game a rating of 12+ if there is any gambling content. Obviously given the main audience of Pokemon being under 12 its best not to tick that box over potential sales impact (though PEGI ratings are only guidances and not legal parents might not buy the games).

Perhaps the ESRB started applying something similar.

Magni

I'll help, hang on :)

Also:

Darkrai - #491 (Lax)
HP: 3
Att: 3
Def: 6
SpA: 8
SpD: 1
Speed: 4

Darkrai - #491 (Lax): 3 / 3 / 6 / 8 / 1 / 4

The following Hidden Power Types are possible:
Fire

The following Hidden Power Attack Powers are possible:

Shitty genes :lol

Magni

Concerning the Pokémon Sunday footage that's coming up, is there any way to watch the show out of Japan? Live-streams? How much time should I expect to have to wait to see vids popping up online?

EzLink

Banned
MagniHarvald said:
Concerning the Pokémon Sunday footage that's coming up, is there any way to watch the show out of Japan? Live-streams? How much time should I expect to have to wait to see vids popping up online?

Eh, a live stream would be boring and incomprehensible. Have you ever seen clips from it before? Everyone on the show is so insane :lol Fear not though, I'm certain that the very second info comes out (whether from the show or if we are lucky enough to get an early leak) it will hit the net. As far as an actual video popping up, I can't see the delay between the actual airing of the episode and the time it goes online being more than a few hours

EDIT: Also, holy shit. Serebii just launched their comprehensive itemdex. Awesome

OMG Aero

MagniHarvald said:
There's no need to watch it live, Serebii will have the news as it hits and videos of it will be up within the hour.

Firestorm

FootNinja said:
As I've said in other Pokemon topics, I'll run a Shoddy Battle 2 tournament for sure. I think HG/SS depends on my mood. I won't be playing it with making a competitive team in mind so chances are low. We'll see about Gen 5 =)

barnone said:
Amazon updated their price to $34.99USD, not sure how long it'll be discounted, but it's usually til release.
I don't think it's a discount, I went to preorder at Nintendo World and they had the price at $34.99. Amazon probably had $39.99 as just a placeholder.

Magni

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
I don't think it's a discount, I went to preorder at Nintendo World and they had the price at $34.99. Amazon probably had $39.99 as just a placeholder.

Hopefully Play-asia will change their prices as well then.

Top Bottom