• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

MemoirsofMimi said:
I wasn't fond of it in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald but I heard it's a good choice for Platinum.

Here's my current team:

Level 16 Prinplup
Level 8 Ponyta

I just started the Oreburgh City gym. How am I doing with keeping my team strong?

Ok. You'll need a backup pokemon for the next gym though.

The game is really good. I need to get back into it. I stopped around Goldenrod City because Bayonetta and other games got in the way. Gonna continue tonight. :D

Hex

Banned
I guess Toys R Us has given up the Pokemon kingdom.
I remember when they were the ones who had the downloadable Pokemon events.
The gamestop thing was smooth enough though.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
This just popped in my mind and I wanted to know what everyone else will be choosing.

What will your HG/SS team consist of?

I'm buying both HG/SS at launch so I'll have two different teams.

Team 1:

- Meganium
- Dragonite
- Lapras
- Weavile
- Ambipom
- Ampharos

Team 2:

- Feraligatr
- Honchkrow
- Mamoswine
- Skarmory
- Milktank
- Mismagius

Thoughts? Comments?

MemoirsofMimi said:
This just popped in my mind and I wanted to know what everyone else will be choosing.

What will your HG/SS team consist of?

I'm buying both HG/SS at launch so I'll have two different teams.

Team 1:

- Meganium
- Dragonite
- Lapras
- Weavile
- Ambipom
- Ampharos

Team 2:

- Feraligatr
- Honchkrow
- Mamoswine
- Skarmory
- Milktank
- Mismagius

Thoughts? Comments?

Probably (For My Story mode team only. I'm sticking with my competitive team from Pearl...which is a completely different team. I save em for actual challenging fights with skilled players. :lol) :
  • Feraligator
  • Jumpluff
  • Ampharos
  • Lapras
  • Scizor
  • Ursaring

As for opinions on your teams, I like your second one.

Balb

Shadowlink said:
So I just realized that I have to wait until the day after Pokemon releases to play the game since I ordered it on Amazon. :(

That's the reason why I'm getting it from GameStop rather than Amazon. That's the one bad thing about Nintendo releasing big titles on Sunday; the lack of release date delivery potential.

EzLink

Banned
I guess technically I should be posting this in the Platinum thread, but this one is more active.

I haven't picked up my Arceus from the Mart yet (the one from the TRU giveaway a few months back), and I was wondering what the best nature is for it? I wasn't sure since I'm almost positive he's already level 100 and I'm not sure weather the moveset he comes with needs to be changed etc. So I guess a moveset recommendation (if there is a better one than what he comes with) would also be helpful

I'm trying to organize all the unobtainable pokemon in a box in my platinum game so I can finally catch em all with my Soul Silver ^_^

Bentendo

So about this Jirachi event, do you need to beat the Elite 4 and the trainer after that in order to get it? Not that it would be a problem because I'll probably beat it in a couple weeks but I'm just curious (knew I shouldn't have restarted! :lol )

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
EzLink said:
I guess technically I should be posting this in the Platinum thread, but this one is more active.

I haven't picked up my Arceus from the Mart yet (the one from the TRU giveaway a few months back), and I was wondering what the best nature is for it? I wasn't sure since I'm almost positive he's already level 100 and I'm not sure weather the moveset he comes with needs to be changed etc. So I guess a moveset recommendation (if there is a better one than what he comes with) would also be helpful
Doesn't really matter. Since he's at level 100 already, you can't fully EV train him and his stat potential is more in line with Mew (base 100 for each stat) than a normal Arceus (base 120). The only worthwhile unique move that this Arceus has over the Spear Pillar one is Spacial Rend, and after you factor in the stat handicap, it's not really any better than a normal Arceus w/ Dragon Pulse.

If you want to train a competitive Arceus, wait for Nintendo to distribute the Azure Flute via Mystery Gift. Just grab this one for the HGSS unlock it gives you.

Magni

I'll be using an original 151 team:

Three classics from my previous teams:
Alakazam
Dragonite
Raichu
Three new Pokémon I've always wanted to use:
Dewgong
Gengar
Arcanine (used in my first Red playthrough in 1998, before being dropped for Houndoom for my Silver/Crystal playthroughs, Rapidash for my Diamond playthrough, and now Infernape for my Platinum playthroughs)

Missed the list:
Vileplume (from my first Red playthrough as well)
Ninetails (prefer Arcanine's stats)
Pidgeot (used him to beat the story in all my playthroughs 1998-2007)
Machamp (finally used him for Diamond in 2008, too soon to use him again :lol )
Golem (used for my first Silver playthrough in 2000)
Nidoking (first Red playthrough)
Blastoise (won't have access to him unless someone trades me a Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise to breed)
Charizard (same as Blastoise)

I missed out on Gen III, including the remakes, so this is first gonna be my RBY nostalgia game, before I re-beat it using Pokémon from the 251 (Kingdra, Ampharos, Tyranitar, etc) :D

Anarchistry said:
I try not to plan out a team-at least the first time through. I've found if I just go with the flow I have a much better time.
this

usually with replays of the pokeymen games I get bored a couple hours in mainly due to trying to plan everything out in advance

when I replayed leaf green a while ago I went into it with just "make a balanced team, catch everything you see" and finished with about a 110 pokedex and a team of charizard, raichu, clefable, kadabra, graveler, and clefable (all evenly leveled more or less). proud to say I ended up catching every kanto pokemon I could in-game (125) and beat the E4 rematch, which I didn't do on my initial playthrough even

point is: just have fun with it

Phoenixus

Sorry to leach onto this thread, but are any Japanese Heart Gold copy owners interested in selling? (unlikely I know, but worth a try methinks :) )

Looking forward to revisiting Johto whichever language it is in. :D

Jeels

toythatkills said:
You want to know how hard Pokémon is? As hard as you want it to be.

Want it to be easier? Level up more. Etc.

I don't want it to be easier. :lol Should I not do any battles and only gym leaders?

upandaway

Jeels said:
I don't want it to be easier. :lol Should I not do any battles and only gym leaders?
Skip out on every single trainer you can, it's gonna be worth it when you finish the E4 being 25 levels lower than the Champion's highest.

Worst case scenario, you can use all the Rare Candies you saved up to level each of your Pokemon ~3 levels and then kick the E4's ass.

Pappasman

In Heart Gold I have all 16 badges, and now im going up to fight Red. After that i'll probably be done with it. im at the point now where im trying to create a diverse balanced team.

the sad/great thing is that in get to do it all over again in english in march.

upandaway said:
Skip out on every single trainer you can, it's gonna be worth it when you finish the E4 being 25 levels lower than the Champion's highest.

Worst case scenario, you can use all the Rare Candies you saved up to level each of your Pokemon ~3 levels and then kick the E4's ass.

that actually sounds super fun. i'm gonna try that with SS when its released here.

Jeels

upandaway said:

Err, I'm buying Heart Gold anyway, I'm just saying, if I have to do that to get difficulty then there's a problem.

Still no european events on the horizon, its getting lame :(

I will be importing the american version as it will have slots intact, hate they are removing it from the european versions.

upandaway

Pappasman said:
that actually sounds super fun.
You bet it is. After I tried it out once I couldn't believe I survived playing it otherwise for so long.

I mean, back then the games were okay difficulty, plus I was a kid that thought attacks that don't hurt are useless and that Fly is awesome, but nowadays:

2lwq6fs.jpg

EzLink

Banned
So my friend just brought up an interesting point, something that for some reason I had never thought of before. Just why exactly do Pokemon basically allow themselves to be slaves for their trainers? Consider especially pokemon like Alakazam, who has an IQ of over 1000. It's not like a human poses any real threat to him. And even if the trainer did have a pokemon powerful enough to capture him, you would think he could be able to figure out a way to escape. Yet they don't.

My friend suggests that Arceus made them with a desire to be captured and trained. But then why do they roam free until they are hunted down and captured? It's highly unethical

Yes I know its just a video game and blah blah blah who cares, but still, I'm the type of person who is bothered by story plot holes, no matter what game series we are talking about :p

Magni

kyo_daikun said:
Still no european events on the horizon, its getting lame :(

I will be importing the american version as it will have slots intact, hate they are removing it from the european versions.

What? (I'm importing from the US as well, but this is the first time I've heard of this..)

EzLink

Banned
pablitomm_uy said:
if we are going to get into pokemon plot holes, we should make another thread :lol

I'd be for that :p The pokemon universe is my absolute favorite one to think about and talk about. But there have already been three active pokemon threads in the past week (this one, the one about gen 5, and the one with the pokemon drawn in awesome japanese art styles)

I'm just not sure if it would warrant its own thread. I have a feeling it would just lead to the GAF hivemind ridiculing all who are trying to have a serious discussion about it :p

MagniHarvald said:
What? (I'm importing from the US as well, but this is the first time I've heard of this..)

Yup, due to european Gambling laws pokemon games in europe will no longer have slots, I think the lottery in the game has also been removed but im not 100% sure.

There was a huge thread on serebii about it, probably still there if you hunt for it.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
EzLink said:
I'd be for that :p The pokemon universe is my absolute favorite one to think about and talk about. But there have already been three active pokemon threads in the past week (this one, the one about gen 5, and the one with the pokemon drawn in awesome japanese art styles)

I'm just not sure if it would warrant its own thread. I have a feeling it would just lead to the GAF hivemind ridiculing all who are trying to have a serious discussion about it :p
I won't lie to you, I would be the first to ridicule you and the thread.

Like, why isn't Ash's Pikachu level 523 yet? Why is it we were the same age when he started his journey but I'm now older than him? How come it takes him years to travel one region when I did it and beat the elite 4 in only 23 hours my first try? Etc.

EzLink

Banned
Surgeon Rocket said:
I won't lie to you, I would be the first to ridicule you and the thread.

Like, why isn't Ash's Pikachu level 523 yet? Why is it we were the same age when he started his journey but I'm now older than him? How come it takes him years to travel one region when I did it and beat the elite 4 in only 23 hours my first try? Etc.

Nah, I'm not talking about the anime. It would be impossible to figure all of that shit out :lol Plus I'm pretty sure the anime isn't canon anyway. I'm talking strictly about the "core" games

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
When ever I'm walking to my house and decide to play in the grass, my vision suddenly goes blurry and when I come to, a wild POKEMON appears(!)

I need magical badges to jump into the water and go surfing with a POKEMON.

Dreavus

EzLink said:
So my friend just brought up an interesting point, something that for some reason I had never thought of before. Just why exactly do Pokemon basically allow themselves to be slaves for their trainers? Consider especially pokemon like Alakazam, who has an IQ of over 1000. It's not like a human poses any real threat to him. And even if the trainer did have a pokemon powerful enough to capture him, you would think he could be able to figure out a way to escape. Yet they don't.

My friend suggests that Arceus made them with a desire to be captured and trained. But then why do they roam free until they are hunted down and captured? It's highly unethical

Yes I know its just a video game and blah blah blah who cares, but still, I'm the type of person who is bothered by story plot holes, no matter what game series we are talking about :p

Even worse is that in most cases the Pokemon in question becomes friends with their trainer. What the fuck? I could understand some fringe cases where the trainer happens to save it's life, or raise the Pokemon from a young age, but in most cases... That human just tore you away from your home/family and now he's your best friend? There is some serious Stockholm syndrome going on there I think.

What makes things worse is when it happens with Pokemon like you described; the very intelligent ones. Heck almost all Pokemon have the capacity for language to some degree (amongst each other at least) so it's not really like training an animal... Man, I think this universe just falls apart when you think about it too hard. :lol

And I haven't chimed in about it yet but I think I will be getting Heart Gold. I liked the original Pokemon Gold but for some reason stopped playing after getting only 8 badges. I remember feeling oddly burdened when finding out there was ANOTHER 8 badges to get, when really that sort of thing should be a good feeling. I guess since I took my sweet time with the first 8 that I really expected the game to be finished or something. With this game I shall right my wrong.

EzLink

Banned
Surgeon Rocket said:
When ever I'm walking to my house and decide to play in the grass, my vision suddenly goes blurry and when I come to, a wild POKEMON appears(!)

I need magical badges to jump into the water and go surfing with a POKEMON.

Hell, I wasn't even specifically referring to gameplay mechanics. Because while those sometimes don't make sense either, those are at least necessary for balancing and progression purposes. I guess what I originally meant is that I like to think about how the pokemon universe would be if it were real. Incredibly nerdy, I know.

Although when you encounter a pokemon in game you don't faint and "come to" and suddenly there is a pokemon. You just see one and fight it. The game transition screen from the overworld to the actual battle is definately not something that I would consider to be a plot hole :lol

Top Bottom