• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

So when I go to Gamestop I go to the mystery gift option on the main menu, click Wi-Fi and then it downloads the Pichu? Is there anything else I should do while I'm there? Never done a mystery gift or a Pokemon event before. :lol

survivor

Banned
To MemoirsofMimi

You can also pick Garchomp if you are not comfortable with the speed of Hippowdon. The only bad thing about him is that he will evolve very late into the game so I don't know how much of a help he will be. However his Earthquakes and Dragon Claws will really help you.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
survivor said:
To MemoirsofMimi

You can also pick Garchomp if you are not comfortable with the speed of Hippowdon. The only bad thing about him is that he will evolve very late into the game so I don't know how much of a help he will be. However his Earthquakes and Dragon Claws will really help you.

I'm a little nervous about picking Garchomp as it's especially vulnerable to ice attacks, right? And as you stated, it evolves late in the game and I'm planning on making a more varied team after I beat the Elite Four.

Magni

MemoirsofMimi said:
I just started playing Platinum again in preparation for HeartGold/SoulSilver (pre-ordered both yesterday :D) and I'n having trouble selecting a team. My current team is just Piplup and I just beat my rival for the second team.

Here's what I have in mind:

- Piplup (which I'll evolve into Empolen)
- Buneary (which I'll evolve into Loppuny)
- Murkrow (which I'll evolve into Honchkrow) Murkrow is obtainable in Platinum, right?
- Glameow (which I'll evolve into Purugly) It is obtainable in Platinum, right?
- Riolu (which I'll evolve into Lucario)
- ?????

Others I've considered:

- Weavile
- Abonmasnow
- Milotic (I decided to avoid the pain of catching a Feebas)
- Raichu
- Garchomp
- Snorlax
- Skuntank
- Blissey
- Drifbilm
- Mismasgius (I really want to catch it but I'm not sure it'll be very strong)
- Vespiquen (Decided to avoid having to capture a female Combee)
- Ambipom (Decided to avoid the pain of capturing an Aipom)
- Rampardos/Bastiodon (Decided to avoid finding a fossil)

I decided not to bother with Roserade, Alakazam and Staraptor seeing as I usually choose them every time I play through the game.

In short, what do you think of the team I have in mind and what Pokemon should I consider/replace? What should my sixth Pokemon be? I don't want to use legendaries and I want to stick with Pokemon from the Sinnoh Pokedex.

I wasn't sure where the best place to put this would be, so I decided to post it here.

Glameow and Murkrow aren't available in Platinum.

For my playthrough I decided to shake things up a bit:
Raichu
Weavile (first time using, I've meant to use Sneasle for ten years now :lol )
Infernape (first time ever not taking the Water starter)
Staraptor
Gyarados
Garchomp

No psychic type! Where's my Alakazam/Hypno? Made me play a bit differently :lol

----

http://www.serebii.net/platinum/sinnohdex.shtml

What about Gardevoir/Galladade, Crobat, Porygon-Z, Hippowdon, Machamp, ..?

survivor

Banned
MemoirsofMimi said:
I'm a little nervous about picking Garchomp as it's especially vulnerable to ice attacks, right? And as you stated, it evolves late in the game and I'm planning on making a more varied team after I beat the Elite Four.
Hmm if you want take a look at this tier list. It's not for competitive battling or anything. They are just trying to organize Pokemon in terms of availability and moves and how good they are against gym leaders.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60086

So generally the S and A ranked Pokemon should be available early to you and should help making facing gym leaders much easier.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
MagniHarvald said:
Glameow and Murkrow aren't available in Platinum.

For my playthrough I decided to shake things up a bit:
Raichu
Weavile (first time using, I've meant to use Sneasle for ten years now :lol )
Infernape (first time ever not taking the Water starter)
Staraptor
Gyarados
Garchomp

No psychic type! Where's my Alakazam/Hypno? Made play a bit differently :lol

----

http://www.serebii.net/platinum/sinnohdex.shtml

What about Gardevoir/Galladade, Crobat, Porygon-Z, Hippowdon, Machamp, ..?

Is it possible to obtain Ralts before the Elite Four? I don't think you could in Diamond/Pearl but for some reason I think I had Gardevoir the last time I played the game.

If it's possible, can either of these Pokemon be obtained before the Elite Four?

Electabuzz, Magmar, Snorunt, Duskull, Eevee, Swinub, Togepi, Yanma, Tangela, and Lickitung.

Magni

Well, they're all in the Platinum Sinnoh Dex..

Electabuzz

I spent two hours grinding west of Sunnyshore Saturday, so I know for sure he's in Platinum before the E4 :lol

Magmar

Fuego Ironworks

Snorunt

Route 217, Lake Acuity

Duskull

Route 204, Lost Tower, Turnback Cave

Eevee

He's a gift Pokémon

Swinub

Before Snowpoint

Togepi

Gift Pokémon IIRC

Yanma

Great Marsh

Tangela

Great Marsh

Lickitung

Route 215

---

Serebii is your friend ;-)

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
MagniHarvald said:
Well, they're all in the Platinum Sinnoh Dex..

Alright, thanks. I haven't played the game in over nine months so I can't really remember which Pokemon are available.

What about this team:

- Empoleon
- Loppuny/Lickilicky
- Lucario
- Gallade
- Tangrowth/Leafeon
- Frosslass/Mamoswine

My only concern now would be whether or not there are enough stones in the game before the Elite Four to make this possible.

What about Absol, Altaria or Houndoom?

Magni

MemoirsofMimi said:
Alright, thanks. I haven't played the game in over nine months so I can't really remember which Pokemon are available.

What about this team:

- Empoleon
- Loppuny/Lickilicky
- Lucario
- Gallade
- Tangrowth/Leafeon
- Frosslass/Mamoswine

My only concern now would be whether or not there are enough stones in the game before the Elite Four to make this possible.

What about Absol, Altaria or Houndoom?

Stones => Underground

Absol = Mt Coronet

Swablu = Route 210 N

Houndoor = Route 214, Lake Valor

Magni

Never used Absol or Altaria, but Houndoom was an essential part of my awesome Silver team from a couple years back :D

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
One thing that just came my mind is that most of my team won't be available until late into the game.

What Pokemon are good for starting out with? I'd be willing to try anything EXCEPT Staraptor and Luxray.

Is Ponyta a decent choice?

survivor

Banned
Try Rotom. He is available pretty early and you don't need to give him much TMs. Plus he has good type Electirc/Ghost will help you beat couple gym leaders and make them a joke.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
survivor said:
Try Rotom. He is available pretty early and you don't need to give him much TMs. Plus he has good type Electirc/Ghost will help you beat couple gym leaders and make them a joke.

Its stats are relatively low, aren't they? His moves aren't very varied either from the looks of things.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
ismaboof said:
If I have only 1 DS, is there any way to get my Diamond pokemon -> HeartGold? Can I trade to myself via Wifi?

I don't think you can do that. I may be wrong, though.

I also just caught a Ponyta. I think I'm going to raise it and keep it as part of my team. :)

Magni

MemoirsofMimi said:
One thing that just came my mind is that most of my team won't be available until late into the game.

What Pokemon are good for starting out with? I'd be willing to try anything EXCEPT Staraptor and Luxray.

Is Ponyta a decent choice?

What I did for that Silver team I just told you about was trade them in ass eggs or newly hatched Pokes, I don't remember. Level 5 Dratini, Pikachu, and Houndoor makes you play differently than Pidgey, Rattata Clone #1, and Tododile ^^

Maybe you could do that? It's what I plan on doing for SS at least.

Magni

ismaboof said:
If I have only 1 DS, is there any way to get my Diamond pokemon -> HeartGold? Can I trade to myself via Wifi?

No one in your family/friend circle has a DS? *looks at Sales-Age in wonder*

Teknoman

ismaboof said:

I'd say just find someone you think would be trustworthy here and get them to trade you back and forth until you're finished.

Probably best to just trade the ones you know you want to fight with and not just dex filler.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
MagniHarvald said:
What I did for that Silver team I just told you about was trade them in ass eggs or newly hatched Pokes, I don't remember. Level 5 Dratini, Pikachu, and Houndoor makes you play differently than Pidgey, Rattata Clone #1, and Tododile ^^

Maybe you could do that? It's what I plan on doing for SS at least.

I guess I could do that.

If I trade an unhatched egg to Platinum from a different game, which game will be credited as its owner?

EzLink

Banned
ismaboof said:

I don't know... is pokemon ranch going to be compatible with HGSS? If so I guess you could buy that and send them all to your ranch and then back to HG. Pretty big hassle but better than nothing

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
EzLink said:
I don't know... is pokemon ranch going to be compatible with HGSS? If so I guess you could buy that and send them all to your ranch and then back to HG. Pretty big hassle but better than nothing

Seeing as they didn't update it for Platinum, I doubt they'll do it for HGSS.

I also don't think you can send them to the ranch and put them on a different game.

ismaboof said:
Nope. One of the many overlooks of this franchise. You're only hope would be for Nintendo to release a Pokemon Box WiiWare "game" (assuming you have a Wii), and then you transfer them all over to that.

EzLink

Banned
MemoirsofMimi said:
Seeing as they didn't update it for Platinum, I doubt they'll do it for HGSS.

I also don't think you can send them to the ranch and put them on a different game.

Lame sauce. Half the time it seems like Nintendo/Gamefreak goes out of their way just to make getting all your pokeymanz as difficult as possible

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
Wiseblade said:
Medicham! It rips the maingame apart.

I wasn't fond of it in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald but I heard it's a good choice for Platinum.

Here's my current team:

Level 16 Prinplup
Level 8 Ponyta

I just started the Oreburgh City gym. How am I doing with keeping my team strong?

VGChampion said:
So when I go to Gamestop I go to the mystery gift option on the main menu, click Wi-Fi and then it downloads the Pichu? Is there anything else I should do while I'm there? Never done a mystery gift or a Pokemon event before. :lol
Has someone answered this person, cause I was about to ask the same thing. Do I have to ask them to do something for it to happen or . . . wat?

Gravijah

Teknoman said:
I'd say just find someone you think would be trustworthy here and get them to trade you back and forth until you're finished.

Probably best to just trade the ones you know you want to fight with and not just dex filler.

Just for the record, if anyone needs tedious stuff like that I'm up. I'm usually just playing WoW when online anyways.

Wiseblade

Black-Wind said:
Has someone answered this person, cause I was about to ask the same thing. Do I have to ask them to do something for it to happen or . . . wat?
after downloading it, you have to go the pokemart to actually pick it up... I believe.

EzLink

Banned
Blu_LED said:
Nope. Just walk in and download it.

Hopefully the WiFi signal reaches their parking lot so I don't actually have to talk to any of the employees. But I guess I'll have to go in if it doesn't...

the things I do for pokemon

BTW, I saw that you get the Lugia and Ho Oh figures with the respective pre orders of the game, but in japan you also got an arceus figure if you pre ordered both. Is that part of the offer not going to come to the US?

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
EzLink said:
Hopefully the WiFi signal reaches their parking lot so I don't actually have to talk to any of the employees. But I guess I'll have to go in if it doesn't...

BTW, I saw that you get the Lugia and Ho Oh figures with the respective pre orders of the game, but in japan you also got an arceus figure if you pre ordered both. Is that part of the offer not going to come to the US?

Seeing as Nintendo hasn't announced anything at this point, I doubt the Arceus figure will make it over.

Can someone explain to me how to catch Feebas at Mt. Coronet, please?

survivor

Banned
EzLink said:

They have already given away the Arceus figure long time ago for some event. I don't think they will bother to distribute it again.

upandaway

MemoirsofMimi said:
Seeing as Nintendo hasn't announced anything at this point, I doubt the Arceus figure will make it over.

Can someone explain to me how to catch Feebas at Mt. Coronet, please?
There are Youtube videos about it. You go through Coronet to Route 16, there's this underground room full of fog with a big lake that you could just skip if you wanted to ignore the room. Feebas is in 4 random tiles that change every day in the lake.
I think he's like 50% or something in those 4 tiles, so 4-5 fishing tries ought to be enough for each tile.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
upandaway said:
There are Youtube videos about it. You go through Coronet to Route 16, there's this underground room full of fog with a big lake that you could just skip if you wanted to ignore the room. Feebas is in 4 random tiles that change every day in the lake.
I think he's like 50% or something in those 4 tiles, so 4-5 fishing tries ought to be enough for each tile.

So in other words it's a waste of time.

If I trade an unhatched egg to Platinum from a different game, which game will be credited as its owner?

Wiseblade

MemoirsofMimi said:
So in other words it's a waste of time.

The one it's hatched on, based on my experience.

ismaboof

I've been playing Diamond and Leaf Green to get psyched for HG, and holy crap Diamond's battle speed is horrendous. Are the G/S remakes closer to D/P or LG/FR in terms of battle speed?

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
I've finally decided on my final team:

- Empoleon (I'll evolve it from Piplup)
- Lucario*
- Tangrowth*
- Milotic*
- Absol*
- Togekiss*

* indicates that I'm going to breed Pokemon in Diamond and then transfer the eggs to Platinum.

So what do you think? Is my team balanced?

idwl

haven't play pokemon since diamond and last one before that was yellow. What i was wondering is what makes silver 'superior' to gold?

upandaway

idwl said:
haven't play pokemon since diamond and last one before that was yellow. What i was wondering is what makes silver 'superior' to gold?
It's better and that's it.

Honestly though, nothing. Gold has better exclusives. To me personally and to the OP, it just doesn't feel right playing Gold and not Silver.

Edit: Thanks! I can finally stop worrying about that Pichu.

Top Bottom