• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Firestorm said:
Real Men Pick Fire.
Unfortunately, my girlfriend just called dibs on Cyndaquil. I'll either give her the business and settle this like adults with some rock-paper-scissor, or stick it out with Chikorita.

I'll admit that Cyndaquil's evolution line is pretty hilarious "He's bigger, has more fire, and is way angrier!"

Galang

Banned
Don't really care for any of the johto starters final forms so it's a toss up for me. Might just go with Totodile since I love water pokemon so much.

Bii

Firestorm said:
Real Men Pick Fire.

I concur.

Charmander - Cyndaquil - Torchic - Chimchar

Although I was tempted to pick Piplup over Chimchar since that damn little thing is so cute. But I stuck with my guns.

I've always been a water starter since Blue.

Blue -> Silver -> Sapphire -> Pearl were all water while my brother took the other games and went fire. Grass would always be the second or third play through as no one ever chooses them often.

Magni

How are Natures decided when encountering a wild Pokémon? Is it 4% chance for each of the 25 Natures? I've been catching female Dewgongs for the past dozen hours, searching for a Mild or Rash one, should be 8% chance, no? Well, 16 Dewgongs later, no dice =( And fuck Floatzels.

edit: 18 now, also fuck Pokémon that use recoil moves after you've False Swiped them ><

Wiseblade

AzureJericho said:
Only if we're talking about Gen 2 & 3. Sorry man, but Squirtle was the business back in the R/B days for me. :lol

Then came Cyndaquil & Blaziken.

EDIT: sorry, totally misread your post. Proceed. :lol

Magni

Squirtle -> Tododile -> (Gen III wut?) -> Chimchar (can't stand Empoleon, sorry Wiseblade).

Fuck Take Down. FUCK IT. That's four straight Dewgongs that committed suicide rather than KO my Scyther with a nice Ice Beam. fffffuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

upandaway

MagniHarvald said:
How are Natures decided when encountering a wild Pokémon? Is it 4% chance for each of the 25 Natures? I've been catching female Dewgongs for the past dozen hours, searching for a Mild or Rash one, should be 8% chance, no? Well, 16 Dewgongs later, no dice =( And fuck Floatzels.

edit: 18 now, also fuck Pokémon that use recoil moves after you've False Swiped them ><
You're actually catching them? There has to be an easier way to tell at the start of the fight.

Does Ditto switch nature when he copies a Pokemon?

If not, that could be a damn good evolution to Ditto. Copies EVERYTHING

Magni

upandaway said:
You're actually catching them? There has to be an easier way to tell at the start of the fight.

Does Ditto switch nature when he copies a Pokemon?

If not, that could be a damn good evolution to Ditto. Copies EVERYTHING

Saved while surfing with a 5 poke team. Raichu's first up with Thunder Wave/Smoke Ball.

Female Dewgong = Paralyze => Scyther = whittle down to 1 HP
Catch, check nature, reboot because it NEVER is Mild or Rash

Also, does Paralysis have an effect on Accuracy/Evasiveness? Seeing my Scyther get hit by six straight Take Downs from a paralyzed Dewgong while missing six straight False Swipes gets pretty infuriating..

Never mind my last point, just realized I could teach my Scyther Defog (what a useless move..)

You should lead with a Synchronize Pokemon that's Mild/Rash. That should give you better than a 50% chance of getting a Mild/Rash wild Pokemon. PAR doesn't affect evasion/accuracy to my knowledge.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Odious Tea said:
Unfortunately, my girlfriend just called dibs on Cyndaquil. I'll either give her the business and settle this like adults with some rock-paper-scissor, or stick it out with Chikorita.

I'll admit that Cyndaquil's evolution line is pretty hilarious "He's bigger, has more fire, and is way angrier!"
Damn you! Quilava's the best Pokémon ever :(

Wiseblade

MagniHarvald said:
Saved while surfing with a 5 poke team. Raichu's first up with Thunder Wave/Smoke Ball.

Female Dewgong = Paralyze => Scyther = whittle down to 1 HP
Catch, check nature, reboot because it NEVER is Mild or Rash

Also, does Paralysis have an effect on Accuracy/Evasiveness? Seeing my Scyther get hit by six straight Take Downs from a paralyzed Dewgong while missing six straight False Swipes gets pretty infuriating..

Never mind my last point, just realized I could teach my Scyther Defog (what a useless move..)
Surely it'd be easier to just breed until you got to the correct nature?

Magni

Little Green Yoda said:
You should lead with a Synchronize Pokemon that's Mild/Rash. That should give you better than a 50% chance of getting a Mild/Rash wild Pokemon. PAR doesn't affect evasion/accuracy to my knowledge.

I don't have a Mild/Rash with Synchronize..

Surely it'd be easier to just breed until you got to the correct nature?

Female Mild/Rash means the egg has 50% chance of being Mild/Rash, which is why I'm doing this. Wouldn't be shorter to breed to get a Mild/Rash, would it?

Wiseblade

MagniHarvald said:
I don't have a Mild/Rash with Synchronize..

Female Mild/Rash means the egg has 50% chance of being Mild/Rash, which is why I'm doing this. Wouldn't be shorter to breed to get a Mild/Rash, would it?

Only if it's carrying an everstone.

Brazil said:
Damn you! Quilava's the best Pokémon ever :(

He just can't accept the genius of Typhlosion. Everyone knows that penguins/echidnas that constantly emit fire are just plain awesome. :lol

Feraligatr isn't a bad second option though. Surf is always crazy-useful.

EzLink

Banned
MagniHarvald said:

Not exactly the same situation, but all morning I've been trying to catch a fucking Timid Darkrai in Platinum. I've caught the fucker about 15 times so far, it's getting old. Oh well, at least it's something I can do while watching the game tonight. Not like it requires a lot of focus

Hex

Banned
Has anything been found yet to transfer from say Platinum on a DSi to Soul Silver on the same DSi?
With the Pichu give away at Gamestop I would think that it were possible but I have no idea.

Teknoman

Fumetsu said:
Has anything been found yet to transfer from say Platinum on a DSi to Soul Silver on the same DSi?
With the Pichu give away at Gamestop I would think that it were possible but I have no idea.

Impossible.

Thought I would post this wonderful ad made by Android18a in the 'We create "magazine ads" for the hell of it' so you guys din't miss it.

ng37mb.jpg

just awesome!

selig

Banned
wow, no i want a full 3d-toon shading pokemon game even more badly :(

Did he draw that picture by himself, or is it from an official source?

survivor

Banned
selig said:
wow, no i want a full 3d-toon shading pokemon game even more badly :(

Did he draw that picture by himself, or is it from an official source?
I would say he drew it. I don't remember seeing any official artwork like this.

OMG Aero

That poster is awesome.
On a slighty unrelated topic, I'm trying to complete the National Dex on Platinum before HG/SS come out, so if there is anyone who can trade me a Kangaskhan, Delibird, Torchic and help me evolve a Politoed, Slowking and Gorebyss, that would really help me out.

Shiggie

OMG Aero said:
That poster is awesome.
On a slighty unrelated topic, I'm trying to complete the National Dex on Platinum before HG/SS come out, so if there is anyone who can trade me a Kangaskhan, Delibird, Torchic and help me evolve a Politoed, Slowking and Gorebyss, that would really help me out.
check your pm.

So... I've decided to wade into the pool of Pokemon with this latest game coming out. I just have one question... which version should I get? I've never played before so any input would be valuable. Thanks and let the bagging begin....

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
moop2000 said:
So... I've decided to wade into the pool of Pokemon with this latest game coming out. I just have one question... which version should I get? I've never played before so any input would be valuable. Thanks and let the bagging begin....
Soul Silver is for pimps and playas. Fuck dat Heart shit mess, son

EzLink

Banned
Well shit. I forgot you can't catch both Latios and Latias in game. This throws a wrench in my catching em all plan

Oh well

Also, could someone kindly explain what the pokewalker courses are all about? As in, what all can you do with the walker besides just walk to level up your pokemon?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
EzLink said:
Well shit. I forgot you can't catch both Latios and Latias in game. This throws a wrench in my catching em all plan
There's likely going to be a wi-fi event for the one that you normally can't get. Pretty sure there already was one for Japan.

The only version exclusives that seems to matter in HGSS are Kyogre/Groudon.

Top Bottom