• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Wiseblade

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Okay here is a question, is Gligar/Gliscor worth anything on a competitive team? As I have not EV trained at this point nor battled its merely just preference.

I swear by it. He's pretty quirky, but when used and supported properly he can be a great tank and is more than capable of sweeping someone who takes their eye off the ball.

Wiseblade said:
I swear by it. He's pretty quirky, but when used and supported properly he can be a great tank and is more than capable of sweeping someone who takes their eye off the ball.
That is very comforting to hear. Now to check smogon when I get home (blocked at work) and prepare.

JoeFu

Banned
My search for a surf pikachu isn't going very well :( so far only 2 fly pikachu's and a few pikachu's with flail. I found out that the vibration from my computer counts as steps, so I had 3000 watts this morning just by setting the pokewalker on my PC. Good thing is that I finally found a stupid light ball.

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Okay here is a question, is Gligar/Gliscor worth anything on a competitive team? As I have not EV trained at this point nor battled its merely just preference.
It's a great poke to have. STAB earthquake/elemental fangs coupled with immunity to ground moves, electric moves and a host of type resistances make it an awesome choice.

You can also factor in a decent speed if trained properly, coupled with great defense/attack power and you have a winner.

This isn't even including sandveil advantage.

Gravijah

JoeFu said:
My search for a surf pikachu isn't going very well :( so far only 2 fly pikachu's and a few pikachu's with flail. I found out that the vibration from my computer counts as steps, so I had 3000 watts this morning just by setting the pokewalker on my PC. Good thing is that I finally found a stupid light ball.

Now I feel guilty getting a Surf Pikachu on my second Pikachu.

ronito

JosM88 said:
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T GIVE JOEY YOUR NUMBER.
Haha, my wife's playing HeartGold and I'm playing SoulSilver and I just got this text from her.

"You know my Rattata? It's better than other Rattatas. It's like in the top of Rattatas. You know what I'm saying? Well bye. Click."

God, I love her.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Watcha think of this combination for catching Entei/Raikou?

Turn 1: Umbreon -> Mean Look
Turn 2: Umbreon -> Taunt
Turn 3: Baton Pass to Mr. Mime with Soundproof and Hypnosis

Choopy

Neo Member
ronito said:
Haha, my wife's playing HeartGold and I'm playing SoulSilver and I just got this text from her.

"You know my Rattata? It's better than other Rattatas. It's like in the top of Rattatas. You know what I'm saying? Well bye. Click."

God, I love her.

Awesome :lol

JosM88 said:
It's a great poke to have. STAB earthquake/elemental fangs coupled with immunity to ground moves, electric moves and a host of type resistances make it an awesome choice.

You can also factor in a decent speed if trained properly, coupled with great defense/attack power and you have a winner.

This isn't even including sandveil advantage.
I was actually thinking of putting earthquake on it. Is it worth it to breed any moves like cross poison or anything or just ev train and put on some TMs?

Gravijah

So it's decided! My final in game team in Platinum should look something like this.

Torterra
Togekiss
Jolteon
Starmie

...Wait, what am I missing? I still have a fifth slot? ...

-cries-

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
I was actually thinking of putting earthquake on it. Is it worth it to breed any moves like cross poison or anything or just ev train and put on some TMs?
You wouldn't even need any other TM moves besides earthquake unless you want to add double team for sandveil. Gliscor can also be taught poison jab which is more powerful than cross poison if you have a heart scale for the move tutors in the game(you can also get elemental fangs with the move tutor).

very easy poke to train and teach.

On another note:
Off to school now gentlemen. I'm only marginally prepared for today's test.:lol

wish me luck

Wichu

Gravijah said:
So it's decided! My final in game team in Platinum should look something like this.

Torterra
Togekiss
Jolteon
Starmie

...Wait, what am I missing? I still have a fifth slot? ...

-cries-
Needs more HM slaves. Slots 5 and 6 are perfect for something like Bibarel/Tropius.

Gravijah

Wichu said:
Needs more HM slaves. Slots 5 and 6 are perfect for something like Bibarel/Tropius.

Got Bidoof, will upgrade him to a Bibarel when I get a chance. I was hoping to spread the other HMs amongst my main Pokemon. I'd like to run with as many Pokemon as possible... For fun of course. Trying to figure out all this is unfun though, maybe I need a break.

Gravijah

Wichu said:
OK, how about Houndoom? Gets useful STAB SE hits on Byron, Candice, Aaron, and Lucian.

I think I like that idea. Thanks for the suggestion, Wichu.

Edit: Should be running into Houndour relatively soon in Platinum, will give me time to think more on it too without having to stop everything.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Ookami-kun said:
Watcha think of this combination for catching Entei/Raikou?

Turn 1: Umbreon -> Mean Look
Turn 2: Umbreon -> Taunt
Turn 3: Baton Pass to Mr. Mime with Soundproof and Hypnosis
Not bad. I would recommend Absol over Umbreon if you can get it. Learns the same attack combo but has higher speed. Umbreon would have to be at a reasonably higher level than the roamer to outspeed it and Mean Look in time. It's just a matter of which of these would take less work to accomplish for you.

Grass type with Ingrain + Sleep Powder (don't know any off the top of my head) would probably be better than Mr. Mime. Hypnosis will suffice, but I hate its poor accuracy.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sixfortyfive said:
Umbreon would have to be at a reasonably higher level than the roamer to outspeed it and Mean Look in time.

Eh? I though they always fled after your first move?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Sixfortyfive said:
Not bad. I would recommend Absol over Umbreon if you can get it. Learns the same attack combo but has higher speed. Umbreon would have to be at a reasonably higher level than the roamer to outspeed it and Mean Look in time. It's just a matter of which of these would take less work to accomplish for you.

Grass type with Ingrain + Sleep Powder (don't know any off the top of my head) would probably be better than Mr. Mime. Hypnosis will suffice, but I hate its poor accuracy.

I fed Umbreon with Carbos as well, and he's currently level 50.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If the Pokerus is reduced to just the smiley face, it still has the effects right? It just can't spread?

Merovin

If someone was to use a hacked Pokémon to breed, would the offspring essentially be hacked? My mate is offering my a hacked Ditto, but I don't really want it if this would be the case.

Gravijah

Merovin said:
If someone was to use a hacked Pokémon to breed, would the offspring essentially be hacked? My mate is offering my a hacked Ditto, but I don't really want it if this would be the case.

Well, the offspring would be legit. It's more a moral issue, really. I don't personally see a giant deal.

Andrex said:
If the Pokerus is reduced to just the smiley face, it still has the effects right? It just can't spread?

Yep.

Merovin said:

As far as the game is concerned, it'd be a legit pokemon. From there it just depends on you and how sensitive you are about that kind of stuff.

Wiseblade

Xeno_Flux2113 said:

Noo! Poison is a terrible attacking type. Gliscor's offensive movepool is kind of limited, but it hits all of the important points.

Basicially you'll want to use Earthquake and either Ice Fang, Fire Fang, Stone edge, Aerial Ace or U-Turn.

Schmitty said:
So what's the order for gym leaders in Kanto? I feel lost having the freedom to go anywhere.
Me too especially after coming from Johto where it was very linear gameplay.

Vermilion first of course, then Saffron, Celadon/Fuchia/Cerulean, Pewter, Cinnebar Island and then Viridian.

Wiseblade said:
Noo! Poison is a terrible attacking type. Gliscor's offensive movepool is kind of limited, but it hits all of the important points.

Basicially you'll want to use Earthquake and either Ice Fang, Fire Fang, Stone edge, Aerial Ace or U-Turn.
I was thinking Aerial Ace and U-turn. I just don't know what to do with that 4th spot.

Edit: Dig gets a STAB on Gliscor correct? Or is that too limiting to it?

I really need to sort out my team..

Urasring
Ho-oh
Sneasel
Gengar
Feralgtr

Then I have a whole bunch of 50-55 ish pokes I swap about
Ampharos
Tyranitar
Aragon

Im sure im missing loads of cover. If my charmander was a decent nature id swap ho oh for charizard, make sneasel a weaville if I ever get the bloody evo item. and maybe try and get ahold of a salamance or dragonite or something..

Any suggestions?
Oh and an easy way to level pre Red? Seems the E4 has updated and I cant even beat teh first dude now!
Most of the names are probably spelt wrong :lol

Three more ghost pokemon! Dusclops (the middle one) didnt turn out that great. Didn't wanna waste more time on it though *shrugs*

duskulls.jpg

hi res

dusclopss.jpg

hi res

dusknoirs.jpg

hi res

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Working on my Riolu, and it seems like the Pokewalker would be a good way to raise happiness. You don't really have to actively "use" it, as it registers steps while you're just walking around, avoiding the need to run up and down some route for 30 minutes in-game, and the experience it gains will never put it over 1 level higher than when you put it in so you don't have to worry about the Pokemon levelling past some move you want for the evolved form.

Does anybody know if held items work while in the Pokewalker, for instance, if my Riolu is holding a Soothe Bell, would its happiness increase faster?

Fitz

Metroid Killer said:
Three more ghost pokemon! Dusclops (the middle one) didnt turn out that great. Didn't wanna waste more time on it though *shrugs*

You're certainly right that the middle one is the lesser of the three, but the first and third are fantastic, I'm really liking them.

thefil

Really sorry about that Andrex, I was wondering what happened to you then noticed I had 6 emails from GAF saying "You just missed a PM because your Inbox is full".

Colkate said:
You're certainly right that the middle one is the lesser of the three, but the first and third are fantastic, I'm really liking them.
Yeah, it's really hard to do shadows correctly with the program, so it came out very flat, and the black stripes don't exactly help towards adding more depth to it. Oh well as long as some good things come out of this :D

Here are the other Ghosts I made if anybody missed them:

Gastly

Haunter

Gengar

Monroeski said:
Does anybody know if held items work while in the Pokewalker, for instance, if my Riolu is holding a Soothe Bell, would its happiness increase faster?
Nope hold items wont work in the pokewalker, but you got all the other things correct, and it is indeed a great way to raise happiness.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
JoeFu said:
I have 4 surfing Pikachus but only 3 Volt Tacklers. Only technically been on two "trips" in the Yellow Forest; the first time I got both Fly and Flail, and the second trip (which has basically lasted 12 days or so) I picked up Surf anf Volt Tackle. Somewhere along the line, one of the random items my Pokemon found was the Light Ball, so I didn't even have to search for that. :lol In two weeks I haven't done a single item search. I was really lucky on the Yellow Forest route, I was basically done with it after the second day I had it with fairly minimal effort.

Finally switched routes to Night Sky's Edge earlier today, though. I want some more money.

ryan-ts

Munchlax takes 10,000 steps to hatch, how lame. However, somehow I managed to get two Munchlax eggs at the same time due to some glitch I think. First, I took the egg from the old man then went to the lady and she her husband had something for me so I checked again and I got another egg. So, if anyone wants the other one, be the first to respond to this message.

JoeFu

Banned
i hate my stupid pokemon in the pokewalker, he keeps getting critical hits when I don't need them and kills !! pikachus :(

ryan-ts

Metroid Killer said:
Do you have a slugma or magmar? They will cut it down to 5.000 steps if you have them in your party while walking.

Nope, and the Munchlax has been claimed by my friend who just picked the game up. Sorry GAF.

Choopy

Neo Member
JoeFu said:
i hate my stupid pokemon in the pokewalker, he keeps getting critical hits when I don't need them and kills !! pikachus :(

When the wild pokemon attempt to run and you attack, the result is a critical hit.

JSnake

Does anyone have a Jolly Aerodactyl they could trade to me? It'd be really appreciated. :)

If you want something in return, let me know and I'll see if I have it. If I don't, I'll offer you whatever valuable thingy I have.

I have to share this with you guys.

This morning, I was walking into my Spanish class and this is what I saw:

gottaketchum.jpg

lol, greatest thing i've seen at school since I enrolled.

ryan-ts

Shiggie said:
no no hes trying to help you.:lol :lol hes telling you how to cut down the steps.

I know he's trying to help :lol and yeah I realized he wasn't replying about the Munchlax. I just don't have a Magmar or Slugma.

Wizpig

Drinking Hatorade said:
I have to share this with you guys.

This morning, I was walking into my Spanish class and this is what I saw:

gottaketchum.jpg

lol, greatest thing i've seen at school since I enrolled.
:lol :lol :lol

Anyone wants to battle right now?
I have 7 badges, we can cap 50 but please don't ask to fight me if you have like EV trained l.100 pokémon, this is just a noob battle or so. :lol

1291 0654 4027

Top Bottom