• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Oni Link 666 said:
^ :D

I just beat the Elite 4 last night and reached Kanto. I'm kind of lost on what to do here though. Am I supposed to try and make it to Pallet town? It looks like it will be a long hard journey there with all the trainers on the way. Or should I just do whatever I happen to run into?

Kanto is very open ended. Main goal is to get all the Kanto badges but I think you can do them in pretty much any order.

I would have liked it better if the gyms had been in order (more than they are already). Or at least have the gyms difficulties to be dynamic:

Because of the open ended design the lvls of the gyms are very close to each other, which means that you'll quickly get a lot stronger than the gym leaders, especially if you take on trainer fights.

If they had made it so after beating the first gym every other 'accessable' gym raise 3-5 lvls, then when you beat your 2nd gym, then the remaining gym raise 3-5 lvls again and so on.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So, I just got this game on Saturday and have already put in nearly 40 hours... 40 HOURS OF BLISS. So fucking good.

I haven't really followed Pokemon since the original Gold/Silver, so I've got a noob question: is there any way to get Jirachi or Celebi in HG/SS? Like, are they at all common over trade? I WANT'EM!

omg.kittens said:
So, I just got this game on Saturday and have already put in nearly 40 hours... 40 HOURS OF BLISS. So fucking good.

I haven't really followed Pokemon since the original Gold/Silver, so I've got a noob question: is there any way to get Jirachi or Celebi in HG/SS? Like, are they at all common over trade? I WANT'EM!
There will be an Event Celebi to get once the next movie launches. Jirachi should be pretty easy to get from a person in this thread if you are lucky. If you only need it to unlock the pokewalker course many will lend it to you(including me).

I know there's a way to get Jirachi in Sapphire that involves using the GameCube Pokemon Colosseum pre-order bonus disc and the GBA to GC link cable. :lol I'm not sure if that's the only legit way.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Metroid Killer said:
There will be an Event Celebi to get once the next movie launches. Jirachi should be pretty easy to get from a person in this thread if you are lucky. If you only need it to unlock the pokewalker course many will lend it to you(including me).
Okay, cool, I think I'll wait it out and try to get an Event Celebi. (I prefer to get my traded Pokemon from people in real life. Dunno why, I just try to whenever possible.)

I want a Jirachi for keeps, but I am curious about the Pokewalker course. Is it worth it?

Oni Link 666 said:
I know there's a way to get Jirachi in Sapphire that involves using the GameCube Pokemon Colosseum pre-order bonus disc and the GBA to GC link cable. :lol I'm not sure if that's the only legit way.
Haha, yeah, I read something about that, but it's A LOT more trouble than it's worth (even if I had all that stuff).

PS: I'm fighting Lance for the first time, and the music is SO FUCKING GOOD!

Gravijah

omg.kittens said:

There was an event Jirachi released not too far back at GameStop... It unlocked a special Pokewalker course, too. There's a way to bring in exact clones (i.e. not hacked, just cloned of what you'd get from GameStop) if you really wanted one.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Metroid Killer said:
The course that Jirachi unlocks is pretty cool since it has a lot of items of high value and the Psychic TM.
Huh, cool. If I PM you later on this week, can you let me borrow yours?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Anyone know where exactly the move tutors in battle frontier are?

Looking for the fire punch tutor, and I cant seem to find any tutors here.

edit- apparently they are in the house in front of it, never mind.

70 heracross and not one with the nature I need...

GODDAMMIT

Edit:
If someone has a jolly ditto I would really appreciate it right about now. I think I'd give my left nut at this point.

FootNinja said:
Anyone know where exactly the move tutors in battle frontier are?

Looking for the fire punch tutor, and I cant seem to find any tutors here.
They are in a house outside of the BF, south of the Poke Center if I remember correctly.

omg.kittens said:
Huh, cool. If I PM you later on this week, can you let me borrow yours?
Sure :)

Do you guys want a Pineco? I have one I can breed for you. Unless you need a specific nature.

Also, attempted Pokéathalon earlier. It was the Stamina course. I got first place, but I was kinda confused about the "rhythm" of the Relay Race. I keep feeling left behind.

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Do you guys want a Pineco? I have one I can breed for you. Unless you need a specific nature.

Also, attempted Pokéathalon earlier. It was the Stamina course. I got first place, but I was kinda confused about the "rhythm" of the Relay Race. I keep feeling left behind.
I'd happily take one over headbutting trees for hours thereby headbutting my desk.

EDIT: I'll PM you my FC when I get off from work.

Gravijah

manofmandango said:
Does it haunt your dreams?

I haven't even attempted to catch it, I've always hated it! :lol

Edit: Yes, Togepi evolved into Togetic! Finally. Now I just need... Togekiiiisssssisisisisiisisisisis

After a night of fruitless breeding I went to serebii and found out that ditto appear at 41% in route 47.

I caught fourteen of the purple fuckers and I just got one jolly ditto.

game is fucking with me today.:lol

cdyhybrid

Anyone have any tips for grinding BP on the Battle Tower? Currently going in with Starmie (Surf, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Psychic), Heracross (Swords Dance, Close Combat, Stone Edge, Megahorn), and Arcanine (Sunny Day, Morning Sun, Flare Blitz, ExtremeSpeed). I can run my streak up to around 17 or so before I get caught by some BS confusion/status streak and end up losing.

I got a Gible in a trade earlier, and I might EV train him up and evolve him to Garchomp just for BP grinding. Good idea? I also have a Togekiss (Roost, Substitute, Air Slash, Extrasensory), Umbreon (Confuse Ray, Mean Look, Dark Pulse, Shadow Ball), and an Ampharos (Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave, Rest, Sleep Talk) at my disposal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still have some level 1 ExtremeSpeed Dratinis to give away, also have a bunch of level 1 Aerodactyls and level 1 Houndours (some know Flamethrower, all know Will-o-Wisp) up for grabs. PM me if you're interested. Don't really need anything in return, but if you're feeling generous, I could make good use of:

-A Ralts (nature/gender doesn't matter, gonna breed it anyway, but I wouldn't mind an Adamant or Jolly female and/or one that has good IVs in Attack/Speed)

-TMs for the following: Thunder Wave, Earthquake, Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Toxic

-Any of the following items: Leftovers, Life Orb, Light Clay, or any of the IV-passing power items

-An IV-checking battle or two :D

I'll be awake for another hour or so, but if you miss me tonight just shoot me a PM.

FC: 4812 9260 8486

upandaway

Your 3 Pokemon don't seem to go along too well with each other. They're all meant to function by themselves.

Take maybe one or two or those, and replace the rest with Pokemon that are meant to support them through the battle. Absorb status for them, handle their common counters, Baton Pass them stuff, things like that.

cdyhybrid said:
Anyone have any tips for grinding BP on the Battle Tower?

Still have some level 1 ExtremeSpeed Dratinis to give away, also have a bunch of level 1 Aerodactyls
A Garchomp makes it a lot easier to grind the Battle Tower, I had a Metgross myself and together with the Starmie I pretty much destroyed every team up till the 21st battle.

I would love a HS Dratini and an Aerodactyl. I can give you a Ralts with leftovers in return

FC 5156 4291 4002

Edit: I'll need to hatch the egg first but otherwise I'll be on soon.

cdyhybrid

Metroid Killer said:
A Garchomp makes it a lot easier to grind the Battle Tower, I had a Metgross myself and together with the Starmie I pretty much destroyed every team up till the 21st battle.

I would love a HS Dratini and an Aerodactyl. I can give you a Ralts with leftovers in return

FC 5156 4291 4002

Cool, be on in a sec.

Edit: That's cool, I'll be waiting online.

Edit2: What were the movesets on your three guys, if you don't mind me asking and remember what they were? :p

Edit3: Thanks a lot!

cdyhybrid said:
Cool, be on in a sec.

Edit: That's cool, I'll be waiting online.

Edit2: What were the movesets on your three guys, if you don't mind me asking and remember what they were? :p
Entering now.

My team was Starmie(same moveset as yours). Metagross (Arm Hammer, Zen Headbutt, Iron Head and Iron Defense) and Mamoswine (Earthquake, Ancient Power, Ice Fang and Take down)

I hardly use Mamoswine thogh, he's more of a backup and most useful against Palmer's Dragonite if something goes wrong.

Thanks for the pokemons!

Gravijah said:
Edit: Yes, Togepi evolved into Togetic! Finally. Now I just need... Togekiiiisssssisisisisiisisisisis
Boooooo, I'm keeping mine as a Togepi forever.

Also I would like to express my sheer hatred for Smeagle and Ditto. I don't know what the hell is up with those two, but I got them both down to 1hp and asleep yet they broke out of every single ball I tossed. I spent almost all the cash I had on Ultra Balls and Great Balls and neither of them would stay in for even a single shake. Tentacruel also was a pain in the ass, broke out of everything except the one random Heavy Ball I had remaining.

Now I've got to struggle through the game with no cash to purchase anything.

Gravijah

Azure Phoenix said:

Also I would like to express my sheer hatred for Smeagle and Ditto. I don't know what the hell is up with those two, but I got them both down to 1hp and asleep yet they broke out of every single ball I tossed. I spent almost all the cash I had on Ultra Balls and Great Balls and neither of them would stay in for even a single shake. Tentacruel also was a pain in the ass, broke out of everything except the one random Heavy Ball I had remaining.

While Endure+Yawn+Metronome was fun, it still took forever to kill as a Togepi. Also, Tentacruel are fucking deadly. I've nearly been sweeped by them before, especially in that hidden area you surf to under Goldenrod.

Styles

Metroid Killer said:
Entering now.

My team was Starmie(same moveset as yours). Metagross (Arm Hammer, Zen Headbutt, Iron Head and Iron Defense) and Mamoswine (Earthquake, Ancient Power, Ice Fang and Take down)

I hardly use Mamoswine thogh, he's more of a backup and most useful against Palmer's Dragonite if something goes wrong.

Thanks for the pokemons!

Are you still up for that Horsea trade?

Azure Phoenix said:

Guess I'm lucky, I caught the very first ditto I came across with a regular pokeball with no issue..

So I need some help. I need a catcher Pokémon, but I don't know what. My main team is a bit too high a level to damage a lower level Pokémon, lvl. 44-61. What would be a good one to catch, and what about movesets? I've been lucky so far in that I've been able to catch lower level stuff by just paralyzing them with full health.

My ditto just gave me my perfect nature heracross and two new gligars with the same nature and hypercutter/sand veil.

YAY
Metroid Killer said:
Next time use a magikarp against Ditto. When Ditto transforms it gets the same catch rate as the Pokemon from your team.
Drowzee is also awesome for this. The catch rate is ridiculously low and hypnosis knocks them out before they can do any damage. I caught 14 lvl.30+ just an hour ago using a level 11 drowzee.

Top Bottom