• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

ReiGun

Random question for Poke-Gaf: What the fuck is Ampharos? Like, my friends and I have been trying to figure this out. Mareep and Flaffy are clearly sheep, but Ampharos doesnt look anything like that. Help us out.

Firestorm

ReiGun said:
Random question for Poke-Gaf: What the fuck is Ampharos? Like, my friends and I have been trying to figure this out. Mareep and Flaffy are clearly sheep, but Ampharos doesnt look anything like that. Help us out.
Evolution of sheep. We won't see it on Earth for hundreds of years. GameFreak am visionaries.

ReiGun said:
Ampharos is what sheep would look like without all that wool.

Fusebox

Banned
Beat Blue, no probs, was feeling pretty confident with my ~lvl 60 Pokes, finally found Red and the first Poke he pulls on me is a lvl 88 Pika. Team wipe am total.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EP253.png

o_0

survivor said:
Do I want to ask for pics?
150px-Milk_Drink_anime.png

And they only get worse from there.

By the way, caught Lugia this morning. Bastard kept waking up early from sleep every time my Gengar managed to make a substitute and breaking it. I'd just send it to sleep again. Used a bunch of ultras and heavys but no dice. After about twenty minutes or so of this I finally get sick of it and throw a Timer ball and BOOM! Caught.

survivor

Banned
0_0

BTW did you catch Lugia in HG or in SS? In Soul Silver I caught mine with the first Ultra Ball. I thought they lowered the catch rate for Lugia, but my friend told me I just got lucky.

survivor said:
0_0

BTW did you catch Lugia in HG or in SS? In Soul Silver I caught mine with the first Ultra Ball. I thought they lowered the catch rate for Lugia, but my friend told me I just got lucky.
SS.

Ultra balls didn't even get to the first shake.

Hex

Banned
Lugia took me about 10 dusk balls after he was in the red, shrugged off three heavy balls, three fast balls, and two ultras before that.

I've just begun EV training two of my pokes for the first time and I've gotten them up to level 40 using the daycare center so that they can start from 0 EV.

I've come to understand that you need 4 EV points in order to increase a specific stat by one point.

Example:
bidoof= 2 HP EV

Fight and beat 16 bidoof= 8 HP points

Now if that is right then I'm headed in the right direction. The next thing I'd like to understand is how many stats points you can increase when using all of your EVs.

510 EV(Max EV points for pokemon)/4= 127.5

If that number is correct does that mean that I can manipulate up to 127 of my pokemon's stat points to my choosing?

I hope I got this right.

:/

Aurora

I guess it's just sheer luck but I've never had trouble catching any legendaries, across all games. The longest I've ever had to spend on a single legendary is maybe 5 minutes. Sometimes I even managed to catch a few on yellow health and no status effects. And no joke, I actually caught Mewtwo in Blue with an Ultra Ball at full health as soon as the battle started... It's actually pretty frustrating since it feels far less rewarding.

JosM88 said:
I've just begun EV training two of my pokes for the first time and I've gotten them up to level 40 using the daycare center so that they can start from 0 EV.

I've come to understand that you need 4 EV points in order to increase a specific stat by one point.

Example:
bidoof= 2 HP EV

Fight and beat 16 bidoof= 8 HP points

Now if that is right then I'm headed in the right direction. The next thing I'd like to understand is how many stats points you can increase when using all of your EVs.

510 EV(Max EV points for pokemon)/4= 127.5

If that number is correct does that mean that I can manipulate up to 127 of my pokemon's stat points to my choosing?

I hope I got this right.

:/
Yes, but you can only have a maximum of 255 EVs (63pts) allocated to any one stat before it stops counting. My advice, never give a pokemon more than 252 EVs in any one stat.

Kyzer said:
No. All that matters is that you have all your EVs done by level 99.
That doesn't matter either if you use the berry trick (i.e. give a pokemon 1 or 2 EVs in an unwanted stat, then EV train as normal and use a stat reducing berry on that unwanted stat when you're done. The berry will force the game to recalculate your EV stat boost.)

Woo. I got my first item from the Pokéathlon. It's a Thunderstone so I can evolve Pikachu into Raichu. Now I gotta work on leveling my Spinarak and I need to get a Ledyba.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Yes, but you can only have a maximum of 255 EVs (63pts) allocated to any one stat before it stops counting. My advice, never give a pokemon more than 252 EVs in any one stat.

That doesn't matter either if you use the berry trick (i.e. give a pokemon 1 or 2 EVs in an unwanted stat, then EV train as normal and use a stat reducing berry on that unwanted stat when you're done. The berry will force the game to recalculate your EV stat boost.)
I can't believe I got this system down now.:D

Yeah, I don't think I'll need to increase any one stat by that many points. I've taken a look at both of my pokes stats and none of them needs THAT much. I'm just going to spread it evenly to get some good speed, defense/sp.defense and attack power.

The hard part is going to be the night of EV training.:lol

thanks

JosM88 said:
I can't believe I got this system down now.:D

Yeah, I don't think I'll need to increase any one stat by that many points. I've taken a look at both of my pokes stats and none of them needs THAT much. I'm just going to spread it evenly to get some good speed, defense/sp.defense and attack power.

The hard part is going to be the night of EV training.:lol

thanks
Usual recommendation is to max out your most-used stat, then distribute the rest as you see fit. If your strategy depends on moving first in battle, max out your speed. If you're using a physical attacker, max out Atk.

Smogon has some EV spread recommendations for each species and strategy. Maybe use that as a starting point. As always, it depends on how you plan to use your pokemon.

Usual recommendation is to max out your most-used stat, then distribute the rest as you see fit. If your strategy depends on moving first in battle, max out your speed. If you're using a physical attacker, max out Atk.

Smogon has some EV spread recommendations for each species and strategy. Maybe use that as a starting point. As always, it depends on how you plan to use your pokemon.
I don't think I'll max out any one stat since both of my pokes are great in both areas that I was looking to improve.

With that said...I've been using smogon, serebii and bulbapedia for the last few weeks to learn about STAB moves, tutor moves, poke resistance/advantages and poke potential. I'm really starting to appreciate the fine tuning on the competitive side of this game.

Echoes

Video ID: 19-79577-86279

Couple of mistakes but it went well.

I'm sorry for all the guys who PM'd me about Sneasel. I'm going to work now and I won't be home until around 11 hours later.

ReiGun

Ampharos is what sheep would look like without all that wool.
ani181.gif

I dont know. That thing looks more like a dinosaur to me. Prehaps he's the ancient ancestor to the sheep. But then, why would Falffy evolve into it's ancestor.....

Ampharos is a evolutionary......time paradox? o_O

Firestorm said:
Evolution of sheep. We won't see it on Earth for hundreds of years. GameFreak am visionaries.
This works too, I guess.

ReiGun said:

The Ampharos line is based on the book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"
Maybe they are trying to capture the "evolution" of Rick Deckard's Sheep from a normal living sheep(mareep) to it's death(Flaffy and it's falling wool) and being reborn into something robotic/artificial(ampharos)

thefil

I JUST found out you gain 1 BP for each fight in the Trainer's Hall. And, thanks to PAX, I have almost a dozen people wandering around down there with with low levels (there's a guy who only has a level 3 RATTATA). I think I would actually have more but the place seems to cap out.

Forkball

I walked over 11,000 steps today in Yellow Forest and all I got for it were the two most generic Pikachus I could possibly get. I could try tomorrow, but I unlocked Suburban Area and I want to try for an Elekid and Murkrow.

Echoes

I'll be battling a friend today, and I wanna surprise him with few things. I want opinions, please. I won't bore you with the EV/IV, just the moves and hold items.

Code:
[INDENT][B]Froslass[/B], Focus Sash [I](Lead)[/I][/INDENT]
- Destiny Bond
- Spikes
- Ice Beam
- Taunt

Strategy: I use Destiny Bond at the first turn. After that it's Spikes, and if I can Ice Beam then that's good. If not, Taunt. We're both down.

Code:
[INDENT][B]Ninjask[/B], Focus Sash[/INDENT]
- Swords Dance
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Sunny Day

Strategy: Sunny Day is just a packup plan, so that Tyranitar's sandstorm won't ruin my vision. Swords Dance the first turn, protect the second turn, Baton Pass the +2 Atk +2 Spe to Drapion.
Code:
[INDENT][B]Drapion[/B], Scope Lens[/INDENT]
- Cross Poison
- Swords Dance
- Night Slash
- Ice Fang

Strategy: physical sweeper. Swords Dance is there for Skarmory or any other Defensive Pokemon that may stall and play defensive (of course, Roar/Whirlwind will still fuck me up).

Code:
[INDENT][B]Dusknoir[/B], Leftovers[/INDENT]
- Gravity
- Earthquake
- Will-o-wisp
- Shadow Sneak

Strategy: Gravity's for Levitate Pokemons as well as flyers (f- you Gyarados!!). Will-o-wisp to cripple any potential physical sweeper like Scizor. Shadow Sneak to get a quick KO after an Earthquake.

Code:
[INDENT][B]Espeon[/B], Leftovers[/INDENT]
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Strategy: Substitute on a switch, Calm Mind as much as possible, annoy with Psychic and/or Baton Pass to Gengar.

Code:
[INDENT][B]Gengar[/B], Life Orb[/INDENT]
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Explosion

Strategy: Sweep. When in doubt, explode :lol

Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Mush

Echoes said:
I'll be battling a friend today, and I wanna surprise him with few things. I want opinions, please. I won't bore you with the EV/IV, just the moves and hold items.
Hmmm... I find the lack of Shuckle a problem.

Echoes said:

I'm not sure Ninjask is all that useful for your team. The only physical sweeper (meaning not Dusknoir lol) is Drapion and it already has Swords Dance. So who is going to benefit from the Attack boosts?

Spikes are nice but you should almost always throw in Stealth Rock somewhere on a team because the move is just that good.

Your team could also use a Steel type if only for the Dragon resistance and Dark resistance. Skarmory over Ninjask would improve the team somewhat since your team could also benefit from a pseudo-hazer with the entry hazards.

Echoes

Mush said:
Hmmm... I find the lack of Shuckle a problem.
I wanted to include my shiny Shuckle, but my avatar in Twitter is the same as Gaf so actually he's gonna be surprised for not bringing it, considering the praise I give it to the Shuckle species everyday :lol

Echoes

Little Green Yoda said:
I'm not sure Ninjask is all that useful for your team. The only physical sweeper (meaning not Dusknoir lol) is Drapion and it already has Swords Dance. So who is going to benefit from the Attack boosts?

Spikes are nice but you should almost always throw in Stealth Rock somewhere on a team because the move is just that good.

Your team could also use a Steel type if only for the Dragon resistance and Dark resistance. Skarmory over Ninjask would improve the team somewhat since your team could also benefit from a pseudo-hazer with the entry hazards.
Ninjask pulling off a Swords Dance is much safer, with a speed boost as well. I will be honest and say that Skarmory was in the team until the very last moment. He has Spikes, Stealth Rock, Roost, and Whirlwind. Total rape.

Echoes said:
Ninjask pulling off a Swords Dance is much safer, with a speed boost as well. I will be honest and say that Skarmory was in the team until the very last moment. He has Spikes, Stealth Rock, Roost, and Whirlwind. Total rape.

Upon second glance, I'm not sure I like BP Espeon either. :< The two Pokemon that can benefit most from its boosts are your two fragile Ghosts unless you want the extra bulk for Dusknoir.

And DD/Taunt Gyarados gives the team a lot of trouble if it gets a single turn to DD. Starmie over Espeon? I just saw that your team has no Fire resist and Choice Scarf Heatran spamming a Fire attack could be very annoying (only thing that could remotely switch in safely is Dusknoir and it can't switch in multiple times with Leftovers being the only recovery method).

Of course, that would give you a bit of an Electric weak...leading me to further bog-standardizing your team with a Swampert recommendation over Froslass. :lol

Sorry. :/

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Am I having a senior moment or something? I can't seem to be able to breed my Gengar's moveset onto a child ghastly (2 TM moves, one level up move, one battle factory move tutor move)

GaimeGuy said:
Am I having a senior moment or something? I can't seem to be able to breed my Gengar's moveset onto a child ghastly (2 TM moves, one level up move, one battle factory move tutor move)
Is the Gengar with the moves you want to breed male?

GaimeGuy said:

TM moves should pass provided the Gengar with the moves is male and Gastly can learn the TMs.

The level move can only pass if both parents have the move and the baby can learn it.

Tutor moves won't be passing unless it's an egg move.

Echoes

Little Green Yoda said:
Upon second glance, I'm not sure I like BP Espeon either. :< The two Pokemon that can benefit most from its boosts are your two fragile Ghosts unless you want the extra bulk for Dusknoir.

And DD/Taunt Gyarados gives the team a lot of trouble if it gets a single turn to DD. Starmie over Espeon? I just saw that your team has no Fire resist and Choice Scarf Heatran spamming a Fire attack could be very annoying (only thing that could remotely switch in safely is Dusknoir and it can't switch in multiple times with Leftovers being the only recovery method).

Of course, that would give you a bit of an Electric weak...leading me to further bog-standardizing your team with a Swampert recommendation over Froslass. :lol

Sorry. :/
Don't worry man, I'm open to all suggestions. Even a team of 6 recommended solely by you (or any other experienced player) is totally fine. I know my team has a lot of holes though. (Watch the video I posted couple of posts behind you. That team was either kill or be killed.)

I may use Forretress. I used him in the battle posted above and he was quite supportive.

Top Bottom