• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
fuck, guess I better hold off on teaching Pain Split until I get a gastly with the right IV/nature combo then, since it costs 64 BP and can't be passed down to offspring gastly (luckily I saved before spending the BP)

And yeah, I'm retarded: my gengar is female. Seems I completely forgot how to breed today (or I was for somet reason thining it was male, I dunno o_O).

I can just buy replacement TMs, at least :D

Squire Felix said:
So I am trying to get a lucky egg. Safari zone Chansey catching spree. Anyone want one...?
Awesome of you for giving out Lucky Eggs, but that must have been horrible to catch all those Chanseys?

The best way to get lucky egg is to have a Butterfree(compoundeyes makes wild pokemon have items at 10% instead of 5%) with the Thief move(you don't want to catch Chansey, catch rate is compareble with some legendaries and a waste of time to catch). The luck part is that you need a Chansey Swarm to appear at Route 13...

First time I was on a Lucky Egg hunt I got 4 eggs in 4 hours. Then yesterday it took me 10 mins to get 4 eggs.

TUSR

Banned
Metroid Killer said:
Awesome of you for giving out Lucky Eggs, but that must have been horrible to catch all those Chanseys?

The best way to get lucky egg is to have a Butterfree(compoundeyes makes wild pokemon have items at 10% instead of 5%) with the Thief move(you don't want to catch Chansey, catch rate is compareble with some legendaries and a waste of time to catch). The luck part is that you need a Chansey Swarm to appear at Route 13...

First time I was on a Lucky Egg hunt I got 4 eggs in 4 hours. Then yesterday it took me 10 mins to get 4 eggs.
That's another great way of doing it. I'm going to grind out the safari zone method and see how I do and distribute them from there maybe in return for some pokemans I need.

CryptiK

My Cyndaquil is so week he is level 40 and his defence is sooo low time to get him on the iron :D pump him up! NO I AM NOT LETTING HIM EVOLVE!

Also I believe the engine in the new game is the same as the old engine just the view angle has been changed

___

Also I want to get the event pokemon I missed out on BUT I dont want to just have them I want to do the story thats involved so is that what the wonder card is for?

Echoes

I think I hate shinies.

I just got a shiny Skorupi in Platinum while I was playing the game normally (I'm finishing D\P\P FR\LG for items). Enough. I REALLY don't want anymore shiny Pokemons. Charizard and Shuckle (and few others) are cool, the rest just plain suck. I'm only happy because this means I can start doing RNG stuff on my own, now that I can get my SID.

It's not that I hate shinies but using a team of more than 1 shiny wears the novelty down. Damn it.

Mush

lolololololol.png

I thought it was good for a laugh.

OMG Aero

Echoes said:
I think I hate shinies.

I just got a shiny Skorupi in Platinum while I was playing the game normally (I'm finishing D\P\P FR\LG for items). Enough. I REALLY don't want anymore shiny Pokemons. Charizard and Shuckle (and few others) are cool, the rest just plain suck. I'm only happy because this means I can start doing RNG stuff on my own, now that I can get my SID.

It's not that I hate shinies but using a team of more than 1 shiny wears the novelty down. Damn it.
I hate you.

Echoes

CryptiK said:
so whats everyone favorite Shiny pokemon besides Charizard

I think Butterfree's shiny version looks awesome
Shuckle is definitely cool. Goes from Rafaello to Leonardo (TMNT lol). I'm LOVING Drapion's though its original color is unbeatable.

OMG Aero, I know you do. I love you though :p

Echoes

Man, I'm loving this strategy for Battle Tower.

Ninjask, Swords Dance (if the foe didn't hit then SD again). When hit, it'll hung on its Focus Sash. Protect the 2nd (or if lucky, 3rd) turn. Baton Pass these gigantic stats to any physical sweeper (Drapion, Hunchkrow, Metagross). SWEEP.

cdyhybrid

CryptiK said:
can anyone get a hold of complete shiny sprite sheet?

Bulbapedia has all the shiny sprites on each Pokemon's page.

Just beat Palmer for the first time! Hell yeah. Time to finish training this Gible and then we can really get cooking in the Battle Tower...

CryptiK

cdyhybrid said:
Bulbapedia has all the shiny sprites on each Pokemon's page.

Just beat Palmer for the first time! Hell yeah. Time to finish training this Gible and then we can really get cooking in the Battle Tower...
yeah but loading each page is annoying

Echoes said:
Man, I'm loving this strategy for Battle Tower.

Ninjask, Swords Dance (if the foe didn't hit then SD again). When hit, it'll hung on its Focus Sash. Protect the 2nd (or if lucky, 3rd) turn. Baton Pass these gigantic stats to any physical sweeper (Drapion, Hunchkrow, Metagross). SWEEP.
You don't loose the Docus Sash when playing at Battle Frontier, right? Then that's a nice strategy, but Ninjask has a lot of weaknesses... And your sweeper has to be a physical. Gonna try it out now :D

Edit: Ok perfect team for this: Ninjask stat raiser, Metagross Sweeper, and then the already awesome Starmie which covers Metagross two only weaknesses! Battle points here I come!!

Echoes

Metroid Killer said:
You don't loose the Docus Sash when playing at Battle Frontier, right? Then that's a nice strategy, but Ninjask has a lot of weaknesses... And your sweeper has to be a physical. Gonna try it out now :D
Yup! You keep it afterward. I highly recommend Metagross because he has such good resistance and with the added Speed and Attack, he's so powerful. Tried it with Dusknoir and Bronzong and several slow bulky Pokes, and it was a bad idea.

I highly recommend starting off with Protect, to check if the opponent has any crippling move (Thunder Wave, etc). If not, proceed to Swords Dance, then Baton Pass the +2/+2 to your favorite sweeper. Have your sweeper hold a berry that cures status ailments and you'll be good to go (confuse sucks though).

Metroid Killer said:
Edit: Ok perfect team for this: Ninjask stat raiser, Metagross Sweeper, and then the already awesome Starmie which covers Metagross two only weaknesses! Battle points here I come!!
Killer ;-) I'm using Gengar instead of Starmie, just for a change. He's great to use, though. Focus Blast is awesome.

CryptiK

shit yeah just got an event Arceus and went and got Dialga :D

Im gunna get the rest of the event pokemon now that I cant get cause I live in Australia

Echoes said:
Killer ;-) I'm using Gengar instead of Starmie, just for a change. He's great to use, though. Focus Blast is awesome.
What is your moveset for Metagross? I'm having Iron Head(I like the better accuracy compared to Meteor Smash), Zen Headbutt, Hammer Armand Iron Defense. Hammer Arm is great for type coverage but I don't really need Iron Defense, Thunder Punch maybe?

Echoes

Minister of the Dog said:
Hey Echoes! Do you want to do the trading thing?
I'm at work now, will be available after 2 hours or so. Is that good for you?

MK, lemme finish this set of matches to check Metagross's moves. (Don't EVER think about stalling in BT, it takes forever to end a match :lol Skarmory's Stealth Rock/Spikes/WW takes ages to set up :lol )

Fake edit: Wait I remember, it was Meteor Mash, Thunder Punch, Earthquake, and *drum drum drum* EXPLOSION :lol

Echoes said:
Fake edit: Wait I remember, it was Meteor Mash, Thunder Punch, Earthquake, and *drum drum drum* EXPLOSION :lol
Hmm think I'll add Thunder Punch... Though this strategy kinda crumbles against a strong Fire Pokemon, especially when I don't have Earthquake on Metagross, though I guess Starmie can save the day, it's just too bad that Starmie doesn't have any use for the attack boost >_<.

Masked Man said:
Which is amusing in and of itself, because
he largely speaks English in the Japanese version.
:lol

I guess that he doesn't speak English only in the English version, since
he speaks broken Spanish and largely English in the Spanish version.

Milchmonster said:
Does anyone know a good way to catch Kyogre? That stupid thing always uses Aqua Ring and thus is a bitch to catch...

Can't remember the name of the move (taunt, trick, something like that?), but there is one that forces the Pokemon only to use offensive moves. If you can get one of those off before Kyogre can use it then he won't be able to, although that might backfire if he only has some low PP moves as then he'll just be forced to use Struggle.

Does anyone know if there is a way to check the beauty of your Pokemon? I'm trying to evolve my Feebas into Milotic now but I can't find any way to check how much beauty each haircut is giving.

Kletian

Jesus fuck, a level 4 Chatot is now officially a bigger pain in the ass to catch than a fucking legendary.

Paralyzed, with 4 hp left, 12 Great Balls, and 6 Ultra Balls later and he's STILL not staying in the fucking ball.

Azure Phoenix said:
Does anyone know if there is a way to check the beauty of your Pokemon? I'm trying to evolve my Feebas into Milotic now but I can't find any way to check how much beauty each haircut is giving.
Haircuts only raise happiness. You need to go to Daisy Oak in Pallet Town and get her to massage your Feebas, there's no way of checking how high the beauty stat is in HGSS though.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I've taken Togekiss to Daisy at least six times now and I still don't have Gary's number. You can't really cheat the clock for the daily grooming, either.

:mad:

Wichu

Speaking of Daisy, why isn't she offering to groom my Pokémon? She's done it once, and then just stopped.

EDIT: Chatot has the same catch rate as Dialga/Palkia. If you think that's hard, try catching a Beldum or Metang in the Safari Zone.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Wichu said:
Speaking of Daisy, why isn't she offering to groom my Pokémon? She's done it once, and then just stopped.
If I had to guess, it's because your RNG tweaking is resetting the daily events.

Changing the day/time prevents you from utilizing Daisy for that day, as well as a few other time-based events (daily lottery, trendy phrases, etc). The only way I know how to abuse these successfully is to forward the clock to 11:59, start the game, let the day roll over, and then save. You have to wait until 3 PM for the grooming. Attempting to advance the clock will screw it up again.

Shiggie

Kletian said:
Jesus fuck, a level 4 Chatot is now officially a bigger pain in the ass to catch than a fucking legendary.

Paralyzed, with 4 hp left, 12 Great Balls, and 6 Ultra Balls later and he's STILL not staying in the fucking ball.
nest ball.

Wichu

Sixfortyfive said:
If I had to guess, it's because your RNG tweaking is resetting the daily events.

Changing the day/time prevents you from utilizing Daisy for that day, as well as a few other time-based events (daily lottery, trendy phrases, etc). The only way I know how to abuse these successfully is to forward the clock to 11:59, start the game, let the day roll over, and then save. You have to wait until 3 PM for the grooming. Attempting to advance the clock will screw it up again.
I haven't changed the time in over a week.

EDIT: Never mind, I didn't realise there was such a small time window. As she did it the first time I talked to her (coincidence), I assumed it could be done at any time.

Metroid Killer said:
Haircuts only raise happiness. You need to go to Daisy Oak in Pallet Town and get her to massage your Feebas, there's no way of checking how high the beauty stat is in HGSS though.

Are you sure on that? When I went to the older brother he said specifically it will make your Pokemon happier and more beautiful.

If so then DAMN IT, I'm starting to get a bit annoyed at how many things are only available once you reach Kanto (love the old GB Team Rocket music? Tough luck! You can't get the GB music player until long after you finish Team Rocket off!). God knows how I'm going to make it through the Elite 4 without a Milotic to tank through Lance.

Magni

Little Green Yoda said:
For those of you who want to participate in an official tournament by Nintendo

Pretty neat prizes and you're almost guaranteed to participate if you show up. No more dumb lottery system like years past.

Doubles format with some ubers allowed though :/

Players at European events may only use European versions

FUUUUU

Hesitating to buy UK HeartGold now.. If I showed up with a European version on my R4, Nintendo wouldn't like that, would they? :lol Might still go for the Shiny Eevee and to see what it looks like (never been to a Pokémon meet-up :lol), Lyon isn't far from my college.

Slightly OT: there's no ethical problem with dumping my copy of SS on my R4 for personal use (having many save files), right?

Wichu

Azure Phoenix said:
love the old GB Team Rocket music? Tough luck! You can't get the GB music player until long after you finish Team Rocket off!
On Sundays, the top-left radio station plays some GB tunes unavailable through the GB Sounds item. The Team Rocket themes are in there (keep switching radio stations until you get the one you want).

Masked Man

I said wow
Because I'm kind of an idiot, would someone mind walking me through the GTS Glitch thing if I'm on a Mac? The directions on that Livejournal post didn't help very much. =/

Wichu said:
On Sundays, the top-left radio station plays some GB tunes unavailable through the GB Sounds item. The Team Rocket themes are in there (keep switching radio stations until you get the one you want).

If I could shake your hand through the PC monitor, I'd do so right now.

Hatchet Man said:
Can someone help me transfer 3 Pokemon from Heart Gold to Platinum?
Heart Gold FC 1162-1909-3584
Platinum FC 0216-6673-7623

If you can wait a few mins to find my DS charger, I'll be able to help you out. FC is 4855 9004 1361

Top Bottom