• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

A quick question for you guys. Is Quagsire going to be any use for the Elite Four, or would it just be wiped out with ease? I planned to replace it with Milotic but I've taken a shine to Quagsire because it's been a complete lifesaver and I don't really want to ditch him.

cory

Banned
I don't think I've ever been this thorough, my Pokédex is at 36 obtained and I just got to Azalea Town. Took almost 8 hours though.

SaintZ

I do not understand what to do with the blocks in the Safari Zone. Do I just place them there? Baoba keeps saying it's going to attract new types of Pokémon but so far I haven't seen anything new.

GaimeGuy said:
I can't get enough of the HG/SS versions of the Kanto Gym Leader Battle Theme and Lance's theme

I can't say I'm keen on the remixed Kanto gym leader theme, but the theme for Lance is amazing.

Game Freak did a fabulous job with the music in this game though, it's close enough to the originals to give a nostalgia overload, but remixed well enough to bring it up to date. These are my choice picks though:

Ho-Oh Battle
National Park
Team Rocket Battle
Pokewalker menu (awesome easter egg for us old GB Printer owners)
Route 29

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm putting the bracket for the tournament together right now, so if there's anyone here who still wants in and hasn't signed up yet consider this a last call for entries.

Sixfortyfive said:
I'm putting the bracket for the tournament together right now, so if there's anyone here who still wants in and hasn't signed up yet consider this a last call for entries.

I wasn't planning to enter, but I just finished my first EV trained team of 6, so why the heck not? :lol

I'm in the battle frontier right now, so I can't check. I'll edit with my FC in a few minutes. I'd love to play!

EDIT: My friend code for SoulSilver is: 5371 2589 5309

Im trying to finish ruby, and I need a little help.

Im about ready to take on the elite 4. My team is level 47-50.

I figure I might as well use the carbos, zinc etc that Ive found throughout the game...

But it wont work. I select the item in the bag, I try to give it to the pokemon that most needs the stat rasied, and it says it doesnt work.

I tried the carbos and hp up on every single pokemon in my party and it doesnt work on any of them.

WTF?

Sixfortyfive

jamesinclair said:

I figure I might as well use the carbos, zinc etc that Ive found throughout the game...

But it wont work. I select the item in the bag, I try to give it to the pokemon that most needs the stat rasied, and it says it doesnt work.

I tried the carbos and hp up on every single pokemon in my party and it doesnt work on any of them.

WTF?
Vitamins only raise EVs in any one stat up to 100. Your Pokemon's Speed and HP EVs are greater than 100 already.

jamesinclair said:

WTF?
Have you tested the vitamins on recently caught pokemon?

I'm thinking you maxed out your EV's pretty early on in the game.

Gravijah

jamesinclair said:

WTF?

Once their EVs are over 100, those kinds of items don't work.

Sixfortyfive said:
Vitamins only raise EVs in any one stat up to 100. Your Pokemon's Speed and HP EVs are greater than 100 already.

Yes, all my HPs are above 100, but 5 of my pokemon have defense under 100 (80, 83, 83, 84, 96)

Same with speed. I tried to speed up my Camerupt that is only at 67 speed!

So the only think I can do is trying to give every type of vitamin to all the pokemon in my party? Theres no quick way to know who it will help and who it wont (like how HMs say able and not able)?

I'm disappointed. What have I been saving my vitamins for if they dont help me against the elite 4? The only one that has been useful is the PP up, and they dont even sell that at the stores.

If I would have used them as soon as I found them, would my pokemon be stronger now or would it have made things easier early on but been the same at the end of the game?

jamesinclair said:
Yes, all my HPs are above 100, but 5 of my pokemon have defense under 100 (80, 83, 83, 84, 96)

Same with speed. I tried to speed up my Camerupt that is only at 67 speed!
I think you're misunderstanding here.

EVs (Effort Values) are hidden points that raise your pokemon's stats over their baseline based on what opponents they've defeated. The idea is that it'll make everybody's pokemon unique (because nobody will fight the exact same pokemon with the exact same team) and pokemon raised by battling will be stronger than those raised by daycare, pokewalker or rare candy.

Basically, you get one or two EVs in each of your stats for every pokemon you defeat (Bidoof gives 1 HP EV, for instance). For every 4 EVs you get in a single stat, you get one point in that stat up to 63 points (252 EVs). You're also capped at 510 EVs total per pokemon (i.e. after they've gotten 510 EVs across all stats, they stop gaining EVs from defeating pokemon)

The items like Calcium, Iron, etc. are basically 10 free EVs in that stat. If your EV in said stat are over 100, then the item won't work.

jamesinclair said:
So the only think I can do is trying to give every type of vitamin to all the pokemon in my party? Theres no quick way to know who it will help and who it wont (like how HMs say able and not able)?

I'm disappointed. What have I been saving my vitamins for if they dont help me against the elite 4? The only one that has been useful is the PP up, and they dont even sell that at the stores.

If I would have used them as soon as I found them, would my pokemon be stronger now or would it have made things easier early on but been the same at the end of the game?
It would have given you a slight edge early on, but it'd all be the same in the end as nearly everyone maxes out their in-game team's EVs at some point.

Sixfortyfive

jamesinclair said:
If you've been using the same Pokemon since the very beginning of the game, using vitamins earlier probably wouldn't have made much of a difference. For recent team members that may not be close to maxing out their EVs, then maybe it would have.

jamesinclair said:

Dude, you need to read up on EVs. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/EV

So when you catch a Pokemon holding an item, you're supposed to get the item with it right? I've caught like three Magnemites that had the item icon in battle but aren't holding anything when I catch them.

Gravijah

Panda Bear said:
So when you catch a Pokemon holding an item, you're supposed to get the item with it right? I've caught like three Magnemites that had the item icon in battle but aren't holding anything when I catch them.

Item icon? You don't mean the Pokeball, which means you've caught them before, right?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
Item icon? You don't mean the Pokeball, which means you've caught them before, right?

WHAT? That's what that is? I always thought that was the item icon too.

Sixfortyfive said:
Anyone up for some battles right now?

Frisk/Thief/Trick

I would, but the 6 Pokemon I'm using for the Tournament are the only 6 EV trained ones I have. :lol

Don't want to break the double-blind rule. :)

Firestorm

I really need to borrow a Darkrai with Dark Void. Will give it back within 30 minutes. I can even give you something if there's something you need and I have. The sooner the better!

Sixfortyfive

Firestorm said:
I really need to borrow a Darkrai with Dark Void. Will give it back within 30 minutes. I can even give you something if there's something you need and I have. The sooner the better!
I can do this within the hour. Going to get my match with FootNinja out of the way first.

BTW you should respond to my PM.

*makes mental note of possible tourney team choice for Firestorm :3*

Thanks for the info guys. The vitamins are super lame then, I thought they actually served a purpose. Im glad I never paid for any!

I guess I will take on the elite 4 tonight without their help.

jamesinclair said:
Thanks for the info guys. The vitamins are super lame then, I thought they actually served a purpose. Im glad I never paid for any!

Actually, they are kind of awesome. But, really only if you are EV training.

Firestorm

Sixfortyfive said:
I can do this within the hour. Going to get my match with FootNinja out of the way first.

BTW you should respond to my PM.

*makes mental note of possible tourney team choice for Firestorm :3*
Yeah sorry about the tourney thing. I spent 24 hours straight at school finishing up projects. Got home and completely crashed. I didn't have DS-accessible WiFi there so I couldn't get my friend code for HG. I'll get it now and post there.

Add my Pearl FC for the Darkrai: 0988 8217 0077

jamesinclair said:

As a lazy bastard, I just spent around 600,000 Pokedollars on Vitamins for my VGC team =P

xSL4INx

Dang I completely forgot about posting my online info for the tournament. Oh well, I guess there's always a next time.

I think I'll certainly be up for some double battles a little bit later if anyone else will be up.

Sixfortyfive

Oh god, I'm an idiot.

I have 2 Darkrais but neither of them know Dark Void at the moment. -_-

EDIT: nm this can be fixed with one quick stop at the move tutor.
EDIT2: getting online
EDIT3: I'm on. My FC is in my PM and in the tourney thread if you need it.

xSL4INx said:
Dang I completely forgot about posting my online info for the tournament. Oh well, I guess there's always a next time.

I think I'll certainly be up for some double battles a little bit later if anyone else will be up.
If you're going to be available this weekend, and if I don't hear from my next opponent by tomorrow night, you can have his spot if you want it.

Gravijah

Damn it there are so many cool Pokemon I want to add to my Platinum in game team. Rhyhorn? I WANT YOU. Houndour? I WANT YOUUUUUU! etc etc.

Firestorm

Oh and keep the Feebas for lottery purposes. Trade something else back =P I'll be back soon. Just gotta teach Smeargle Dark Void.

Edit: Getting back online.

Top Bottom