• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Gravijah

Wiseblade said:
Man, that's just unnecessary effort.

Master ball FTW.

GUESS WHO WASTED HIS MASTERBALL IN EMERALD MANY A YEAR AGO THUS HAVING NONE TO CLONE

;)

killertofu said:
Idk, to play it "properly" I guess? I've kinda just been dicking around and speeding through the game.

If you haven't invested too much time, playing "the way way it's meant to be played" (God, I hate that term) is very fun.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Wiseblade said:
Man, that's just unnecessary effort.

Master ball FTW.
Master Balls are ugly. You want to talk about unnecessary effort?

120px-SugimoriPremierBall.png

Premier Balls or bust.

Gravijah said:
If you haven't invested too much time, playing "the way way it's meant to be played" (God, I hate that term) is very fun.

How much is too much time? I'm going to my 8th badge, but for some reason I have 25 hours on my game. Does the clock still run if I close the lid of my DS?

Gravijah

killertofu said:
How much is too much time? I'm going to my 8th badge, but for some reason I have 25 hours on my game. Does the clock still run if I close the lid of my DS?

Time is relative, of course. Time doesn't run if you shut your DS, and if you go all out playing proper, you can wring 45-50+ hours out of just the first 8 badges. I'd hate to see you restart and then stop playing though.

cory said:
Me too, I always double save though because single saving doesn't feel right.

Oh good, someone else shares my OCD pain. Sometimes I'll even get into loops where I save 5+ times because it just doesn't "feel" right. Thankfully I've gotten better control of that.

As long as you're at the right level for any obstacle in your path, then you're fine. You don't have to do anything at any point that you don't want to.

Yup. I do the multiple saves as well. Especially when I'm looking away when I save. I've already lost 2 hours to not saving, so I sure as hell don't want that to happen again.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Unicorn said:
Where do I get more of these?
You get 1 Premier Ball every time you buy 10 or more Poke Balls.

I caught every legendary in HeartGold with a Premier Ball.

I have bought a lot of Poke Balls.

finalozzo said:
You don't get BP from link battles, if that's what you're wondering about.

EDIT: Unless you mean you want to play co-op in the Battle Frontier... in which case I'd be willing to do, but not right now. It's a bit late.

I'm probably not gonna stop playing. For some reason, this game has kinda turned into some secret club. Casual acquaintances I have in college and work are secret Pokemon players. It's pretty hilarious and awesome. Plus, this cute girl in my Psych class plays :D

Does the Happiness of a Pokémon max out at any level on the Pokéwalker? Or does happiness even go up on the Pokéwalker? I'm trying to up my Eevees' happiness, but they both hate me pretty much. :lol

killertofu said:
I'm probably not gonna stop playing. For some reason, this game has kinda turned into some secret club. Casual acquaintances I have in college and work are secret Pokemon players. It's pretty hilarious and awesome. Plus, this cute girl in my Psych class plays :D
Ask her if she wants to see your Sudowoodo. :lol

cory

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
You get 1 Premier Ball every time you buy 10 or more Poke Balls.

I caught every legendary in HeartGold with a Premier Ball.

I have bought a lot of Poke Balls.

You don't get BP from link battles, if that's what you're wondering about.
Damn, I can't even fathom doing that. I wish you could do Pokéball transfers. I would have base Pokémon in regular, 1st evos in Greats, 2nd Evos in Ultras, and Legendaries in Primiers. Pal Park balls are pretty nice too.

Firestorm

Finally beat the Elite Four. Started with:

LV43 Slowking
LV43 Typhlosion
LV42 Scyther
LV41 Togekiss
LV33 Umbreon
LV09 Charmander

I think. Three Dragonites goddamn. I didn't have a single super effective attack :lol

cory

Banned
I know there's an obvious game reason for it, but why wouldn't they mass produce the Master Ball/use it as a concept to make Poké/Great/Ultra Balls better. If B&W takes place after Gen IV, then Silph would have had 5-6 years (maybe more) to develop the technologies in the Master Ball and implement them into the standard Pokéballs.
Of course, it's a game, so it needs some limitations.

cory

Banned
Jet Grind Radio! said:
It's probably not cost effective enough to have something with a perfect catch rate.
Well I'm sure they would just double the catch rates, up the prices by 25%, and introduce the Master Ball at a $6000 price at select stores only.
I'm not surprised the normal Pokéball market is stagnant, the only competitor is Devon, and they just make specialty balls. Is there a manufacturer in Sinnoh?

Finalow

Sixfortyfive said:
EDIT: Unless you mean you want to play co-op in the Battle Frontier... in which case I'd be willing to do, but not right now. It's a bit late.
lol sorry, here in italy it's 10 am :lol

It would be awesome if they made it possible to attatch an item to the daycare to spice things up a little.

If you attatch a certain poke ball while having two pokemon breeding then the offspring will end up in that poke ball(would be soooo good for happiness).

And with all the other items there are in the games I'm sure GameFreak could come up with some other clever stuff.

Parham

Banned
Are we ever going to see Nintendo offer older event Pokemon like Shaymin and Darkrai again? I am considering buying an Action Replay to unlock their key items in Diamond; however, I am not sure if it is just better to wait a few months.

So, turns out using Power Items to pass IVs doesn't work in DPP. Or maybe it's only a 50% chance as opposed to a sure thing like HGSS. I was working on my outrageously complicated plan to hatch me a Morning Sun Growlithe using the awesome Eevee I hatched a week ago that I cloned and turned into a Jolteon and an Espeon (in a nutshell, breed my perfect Attack IV male Gyarados with a female Garchomp, breed resulting Gible with perfect Attack IV with a female Nidoran until I get a male Nidoran offspring. Breed that with a female Growlithe, then trade the resulting perfect Attack IV Growlithe and an Adamant Ditto over to my Platinum game. I breed those two on Platinum until I get a female Adamant Growlithe with perfect Attack and a different Trainer ID, so when I trade it back to SoulSilver and breed it with my Espeon I won't be waiting ten minutes between eggs).

So, yeah, the Power Bracer doesn't guarantee IV passing to offspring in Platinum. I did get a few offspring with that 31 Attack, though, so maybe it's a 50% chance or maybe I got lucky. One of those was female and Adamant, at least, so now I have both my breeding partners and can get to work on this Morning Sun Arcanine. Pokemon: Serious Business.

Wichu

Firestorm said:
Today I had an ~80 turn battle VGC style (4v4 doubles with two ubers each) on NetBattle Supremacy. Oh boy.
Wait, how can you go on for 80 turns in a VGC battle? I don't think I've ever gone on for that long in a 6v6 singles match, without ubers...

finalozzo said:
what the HELL. Raikou is a son of bitch. I've used a lot of ultra ball (obviously with gengar so he cannot escape) and then he used roar and escaped :/
Use Mean Look Umbreon, then Baton Pass to Mr. Mime/Electrode/Exploud with Soundproof so you can't get Roared. Mr. Mime has the bonus of being able to learn Hypnosis, so it's probably the best choice.
Or just do what I did to get Entei: get it down to 1HP and put it to sleep. Then, chase it around the region, and whenever you find it, throw a ball and hope it works. It takes longer, but it means it doesn't use up PP :p

Anyway, I've finally beaten the game. Slowbro is an amazing Pokémon:
it took out Red's Snorlax, Lapras and Charizard without healing items, despite being a few levels lower.

Now, I just need to catch the legendaries (aside from the aforementioned Entei).

Just coming in to ask a quick question...

How do you guys upload those pokemon battles on youtube in such good condition?

I'd like to know so that I can record my matches for the tournament. I'm sure Sixfortyfive will handle all the videos anyway, but I'd like to understand the process at least.:p

I love Metronome!!

Breloom used Megadrain

Clefable used Metronome... It used Hail... (Awww would have been better with any other ice attack than this)

Breloom used Mach Punch it's super effective... Damn my Clefable is gonna be toast...

Clefable used Metronome... It used Blizzard! :lol

Sometimes when the luck it on your side using Metronome is almost like autoplay :D

Echoes

Big Ass Ramp said:
SHINY DIGLETT

I JUST CAUGHT A SHINY DIGLETT

HOLY CRAP
My first shiny in the game is a Diglett. Now a Dugtrio. That thing is fucking awesome, so congrats.

SolarPowered, my camera has a "macro mode" that lets you record small stuff while zoomed in, with clarity.

I noticed everyone seems to use Togekiss with Air Slash and Serene Grace for the 60% chance of flinching, wouldn't Headbutt technically be just as effective since it also has a base 30% flinch chance?

I'm just thinking that since Togetic can't use Air Slash, Headbutt would be a good alternative since it has 100% accuracy and still gets stab.

Wichu

Azure Phoenix said:
I noticed everyone seems to use Togekiss with Air Slash and Serene Grace for the 60% chance of flinching, wouldn't Headbutt technically be just as effective since it also has a base 30% flinch chance?

I'm just thinking that since Togetic can't use Air Slash, Headbutt would be a good alternative since it has 100% accuracy and still gets stab.
Yeah, it's a decent alternative. However, Air Slash is special, meaning it benefits from Togekiss's good Sp. Atk stat.

upandaway

Metroid Killer said:
I love Metronome!!

Breloom used Megadrain

Clefable used Metronome... It used Hail... (Awww would have been better with any other ice attack than this)

Breloom used Mach Punch it's super effective... Damn my Clefable is gonna be toast...

Clefable used Metronome... It used Blizzard! :lol

Sometimes when the luck it on your side using Metronome is almost like autoplay :D
There's a Youtube video where two people use two teams 6 on 6, where one team is 6 Magikarps and the other is 6 Feebas, and they just use Metronome until one of them wins (obviously hacked it on them but whatever).

The craziest thing, in the end it was 2 Magikarps and 1 Feebas, and one of the Magikarps used Explosion, killing everyone in the field and resulting in a tie!!

Wichu said:
Yeah, it's a decent alternative. However, Air Slash is special, meaning it benefits from Togekiss's good Sp. Atk stat.
Would Headbutt be weak enough with Togetic's poor attack stat to be a waste of time even with a 60% flinch rate? I'm just trying to find a useful moveset for my Togetic since it doesn't have Nasty Plot and won't be evolving.

Goddamn Flash Fire. I keep hatching effing spectacular Morning Sun Growlithes but they're always Flash Fire instead of Intimidate. I have one good one with Intimidate but it only has 23s and 24s for Attack and Defence so I'd have to drop the HP back one multiple of 16 to compensate and oh God I'm taking this way too seriously.

matrix-cat said:
Goddamn Flash Fire. I keep hatching effing spectacular Morning Sun Growlithes but they're always Flash Fire instead of Intimidate. I have one good one with Intimidate but it only has 23s and 24s for Attack and Defence so I'd have to drop the HP back one multiple of 16 to compensate and oh God I'm taking this way too seriously.
Pokemon is an animal breeding program with a bonus rpg mode thrown in for the sake of it.

DarkKyo

SolarPowered said:
Just coming in to ask a quick question...

How do you guys upload those pokemon battles on youtube in such good condition?

I'd like to know so that I can record my matches for the tournament. I'm sure Sixfortyfive will handle all the videos anyway, but I'd like to understand the process at least.:p
I am also interested in knowing this.

Why must Rayquaza know Outrage? It always gets confused and kills itself :(

Edit: Everytime I complain about such a thing, I'll catch it after two or three balls :lol

Yottamole

Banned
upandaway said:
There's a Youtube video where two people use two teams 6 on 6, where one team is 6 Magikarps and the other is 6 Feebas, and they just use Metronome until one of them wins (obviously hacked it on them but whatever).

The craziest thing, in the end it was 2 Magikarps and 1 Feebas, and one of the Magikarps used Explosion, killing everyone in the field and resulting in a tie!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fhrZNl5euU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz9c6rERUFM
:lol

Top Bottom