• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

WEGGLES

dragonballjoseph said:
Lugia's also part dragon, so the damage is toned down a bit. And even if Thunder connects, it will only make Avalanche even stronger. My Lugia was level 47 when I took him on, and he faired very well against the Dragonites. And if he's knocked out, just use a Pokemon as a target dummy and fully heal your Lugia. Rinse, wash, and repeat.
Psy/Fly

But maybe its speed is higher and it can get its attack off first/

WEGGLES said:
Psy/Fly

But maybe its speed is higher and it can get its attack off first/
If I remember correctly, Dragonite was faster. But Thunder won't knock your Lugia out. When I fought him, Dragonite's attacked missed, and Avalanche did about half of Dragonite's life. So if it does hit, you should be able to take him out.

WEGGLES

dragonballjoseph said:
If I remember correctly, Dragonite was faster. But Thunder won't knock your Lugia out. When I fought him, Dragonite's attacked missed, and Avalanche did about half of Dragonite's life. So if it does hit, you should be able to take him out.
Oh cool :)

Would you recommend me have Lugia hold a berry to reduce the effectiveness of Super Effective elec attack or a quick claw?

WEGGLES

dragonballjoseph said:
A berry probably would be better, since Avalanche's power goes up when you are hit.
WOOPS!

I'm dumb. Meant Blizzard this whole time :lol

Edit: I have the TM for Avalanche and Blizzard. Which do you recommend?

Firestorm

WEGGLES said:
What's a good pokemon to take out Lance's Dragonites?

Totodile w/ Blizzard gets mauled by thunder :'[[[[
I had to keep Hyper Potioning Slowking until Dragonite hit himself in confusion after Outrage and then use Yawn, then Hyper Potion again, then revive Scyther, switch, Wing Attack until he wakes up, then repeat.

It took a lot of Hyper Potions.

Firestorm

Wichu said:
Wait, how can you go on for 80 turns in a VGC battle? I don't think I've ever gone on for that long in a 6v6 singles match, without ubers...

Use Mean Look Umbreon, then Baton Pass to Mr. Mime/Electrode/Exploud with Soundproof so you can't get Roared. Mr. Mime has the bonus of being able to learn Hypnosis, so it's probably the best choice.
Or just do what I did to get Entei: get it down to 1HP and put it to sleep. Then, chase it around the region, and whenever you find it, throw a ball and hope it works. It takes longer, but it means it doesn't use up PP :p

Anyway, I've finally beaten the game. Slowbro is an amazing Pokémon:
it took out Red's Snorlax, Lapras and Charizard without healing items, despite being a few levels lower.

Now, I just need to catch the legendaries (aside from the aforementioned Entei).
Last Pokemon were Lugia vs Giratina.

Giratina: Rest / Sleep Talk / Calm Mind / I forget... Dragon Pulse?
Lugia: Roost / Double Team / Calm Mind / Icy Wind

Yeah. We eventually hit Struggle at which point we realized NBS still uses the Advance Struggle system so that took a while too.

cory

Banned
I hate when the the ball nudges 3 times and then it opens. Usually 3 times means it's caught.
Edit: 100 Pokémon obtained in the Pokédex! 156 more to go :\
2mwgoph.jpg

cory

Banned
The music on Rt. 47 is so nice, 2nd best in the game(so far) after Global Terminal's. Plus I caught a Steelix and a bunch of other other Pokés there.
Who are the additional ones? I've been wondering because I'm not sure if I can get Bonsly or Togekiss?
Ambipom, Lickilicky, Mamoswine, Tangrowth, and Yanmega.

Edit: What do you mean Rattata can't learn Strength?!
Edit 2: I just encountered Entei! But I was leveling Rattata to a Raticate at the time so I couldn't do anything before it fled. I was freaked out by the music too.
I ran into him again, and I tried to put it to sleep, but it failed.

Weird that they didn't put Mime Jr. in the game. They have almost all of the other pre-evolutions. Also, they don't have the pre-Chansie one either.

cory said:
Is there anyone here who never played the original Gold/Silver/Crystal versions?
There have been quite a few people who've posted in here with no pokemon experiences since red or blue.

off topic:
What do you guys think about the new username? sexy eh?

:p
Edit:
Thanks for the info on the camera settings Echoes.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Guardian Bob said:
Weird that they didn't put Mime Jr. in the game. They have almost all of the other pre-evolutions. Also, they don't have the pre-Chansie one either.

Happiny?

Gravijah

SolarPowered said:
There have been quite a few people who've posted in here with no pokemon experiences since red or blue.

off topic:
What do you guys think about the new username? sexy eh?

:p

Anytime someone changes their username, they're hiding from something.

Axis said:
friday afternoons in front of valley windworks!
I vaguely remember hearing from one of the NPC that a special pokemon appeared at the valley windworks on a specific day. I always thought it was Wednesday, but I never bothered to check.

I'll see in a week axis.:lol

Echoes

Gravijah said:
Anytime someone changes their username, they're hiding from something.
I changed my username because it sucked fucking ass >_<

"Citizen"

The fuck was I thinking when I typed in that username? Jesus.

"Echoes"

Dark-Samus.jpg

Now we're talking.

Echoes said:
I changed my username because it sucked fucking ass >_<

"Citizen"

The fuck was I thinking when I typed in that username? Jesus.

"Echoes"

Now we're talking.
This makes me feel better about my decision:D . Oh, and I think I may have seen you posting before when I was a lurker Echoes(I think).

So, something I discovered with the Pokewalker today: If you start walking without a pokemon, one will meet up with you and can be returned to your game like any other. I got a Zubat to follow me in Dim Cave, so I'd guess it's one of the common ones each time, but it caught me a bit off-guard.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Andrex now and forevermore.
Not counting the British toilet paper company and the weirdo from Mexico who always signs up at sites with it like a day before me. :/

Rocksteady33

cory said:
Rocksteady, I hope you don't mind, but Blurrychu was annoying me.
vzev05.gif

Ahhh, thanks man. Looks way better. (stole it, hope that's OK)

And what the hell is the criteria for the bug catching contest? My Scyther lost to a Caterpie... there must be something I'm missing here. Also what's the prize for first place? Marriland tells me just a Sun Stone but Serebii tells me you can get any evolution stone. Anyone know?

Also still looking for a Spinarak if anyone's got one handy. I can get you Vulpix or Ledyba if need be.

Gravijah

Rocksteady33 said:
Ahhh, thanks man. Looks way better. (stole it, hope that's OK)

And what the hell is the criteria for the bug catching contest? My Scyther lost to a Caterpie... there must be something I'm missing here. Also what's the prize for first place? Marriland tells me just a Sun Stone but Serebii tells me you can get any evolution stone. Anyone know?

Also still looking for a Spinarak if anyone's got one handy. I can get you Vulpix or Ledyba if need be.

Don't hurt the Pokemon you're gonna catch. at. all. I win nearly everytime catching a Scyther/Pinsir and doing that. Also, the evo stones get unlocked after you beat the E4.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Gravijah said:
Don't hurt the Pokemon you're gonna catch. at. all. I win nearly everytime catching a Scyther/Pinsir and doing that. Also, the evo stones get unlocked after you beat the E4.
Oh yeah? I never knew that.

Even with the original games I always thought the winning criteria was just plain luck.

OMG Aero

Brazil said:
Oh yeah? I never knew that.

Even with the original games I always thought the winning criteria was just plain luck.
Yeah, the contest is based on the stats of the Pokemon so while a Pokemon with higher stats like Scyther will usually win, if you take the Scyther down to 1 HP then it will lose to Pokemon caught at a higher HP. You should be able to catch any Pokemon in the contest by just putting it to sleep and not hitting it at all. I have caught almost all of the contest Pokemon just by doing this.

cory

Banned
Badge Number 8 might be a problem.
I have a Lv.15 Lapras and a Lv.21 Swinub. Which one should I focus on?
Edit: I just ran in to Raikou, but unfortunately I was training Swinub at the time. That music gets me so excited.

Top Bottom