• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Foofaraw

What are the odds on a Crystal version of this? I had Gold as a kid and loved that business like no other. However, I can wait if there is a reasonable chance of the best version coming out later.

Parham

Banned
Foofaraw said:
What are the odds on a Crystal version of this? I had Gold as a kid and loved that business like no other. However, I can wait if there is a reasonable chance of the best version coming out later.
Not likely, considering the side story from Crystal with Eusine is included in SoulSilver and HeartGold.

cory

Banned
Foofaraw said:
Doubtful. They didn't make a Yellow version for FRLG, and Black and White are coming out relatively soon.

Foofaraw

Thank you. I thought it would be silly to start jogging this summer without a pokewalker on my hip. Probably end up with Gold for the growlithe. Love that little guy.

cory said:
Badge Number 8 might be a problem.
I have a Lv.15 Lapras and a Lv.21 Swinub. Which one should I focus on?
Edit: I just ran in to Raikou, but unfortunately I was training Swinub at the time. That music gets me so excited.
Lapras should have more HP. Then again, Swinub is a higher level so it's be easier to fully evolve.

cory

Banned
Foofaraw said:
Thank you. I thought it would be silly to start jogging this summer without a pokewalker on my hip. Probably end up with Gold for the growlithe. Love that little guy.
Another one for ♥Au.

cdyhybrid

Merovin said:
I'm so useless at EV training, I keep losing track and losing count! How do you guys all keep count of where you're at with EV training?

23lzklx.jpg

Note: This spreadsheet was hastily and sloppily thrown together and if I spent 5-10 minutes I could probably make it 10 times more efficient, but I'm too lazy for that :lol

cory

Banned
This is slightly off-topic, but are there any comparison shots of the DSi XL to the original DS?
I've had it since launch and have had limited experience with the Lite/DSi, and even though the 3DS is right around the corner, it's scratched up like crazy, the shoulder buttons barely work, and the battery only lasts for 4-5 hours. I really only use it to play this game, and I don't see much else on the horizon in terms of DS games aside from B&W. If Black and White doesn't really do anything special on the 3DS besides basic 3D functionality (i.e. no graphical/resolution improvements) I think I can hold off on a 3DS until next summer. Plus, I'll have another DS to trade with.

Chorazin

cory said:
This is slightly off-topic, but are there any comparison shots of the DSi XL to the original DS?
I've had it since launch and have had limited experience with the Lite/DSi, and even though the 3DS is right around the corner, it's scratched up like crazy, the shoulder buttons barely work, and the battery only lasts for 4-5 hours. I really only use it to play this game, and I don't see much else on the horizon in terms of DS games aside from B&W. If Black and White doesn't really do anything special on the 3DS besides basic 3D functionality (i.e. no graphical/resolution improvements) I think I can hold off on a 3DS until next summer. Plus, I'll have another DS to trade with.
Entire DSi XL thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3783033

Best way to EV track during training: use a high level Pokemon that can OHKO your target Pokemon. The game tracks for you in the form of PP. Just watch out for Pokemon using accuracy modifiers that can make you miss, Pressure ability, Protect-using Pokemon, etc.

bluemax

Banned
cory said:
Is there anyone here who never played the original Gold/Silver/Crystal versions?

Me. And I'm enjoying this game a lot more than Diamond.

I'm currently at the lake of rage with a team of Quilava, Flaafy, Gengar, Alakazam, and Dratini. My sixth slot has been rotating lately mostly with HM slaves.

I feel like my team is probably not as good as it could be and is based on my knowledge of Pokemon stagnating after the first game.

Rocksteady33

bluemax said:
Me. And I'm enjoying this game a lot more than Diamond.

I'm currently at the lake of rage with a team of Quilava, Flaafy, Gengar, Alakazam, and Dratini. My sixth slot has been rotating lately mostly with HM slaves.

I feel like my team is probably not as good as it could be and is based on my knowledge of Pokemon stagnating after the first game.

Yeah, see for me I really just try and avoid using any of the original 150 just because I've used them so many times back in the R/B/Y days.

^That looks like a pretty damn good team actually.
Echoes said:
"Echoes"

http://unseencolors.com/upload/Dark-Samus.jpg[IMG]

[I]Now[/I] we're talking.[/QUOTE]Does this mean that we are rivals?
[IMG]http://ui08.gamespot.com/2407/samusdarksamus_2.jpg

I'm almost ready to take on Palmer2. My team is at lvl 50+, EV trained, got all moves on them except for Garchomp which is missing an Earthquake(which is ironically since I need to grind BF for BP-_-). I just need to decide which items to put on them. Expert Belt for Starmie is full of win. Focus Sash for Lucario seems to be a good idea since his defenses are rather low. I'm not sure about Garchomp though, Focus Sash against Ice Types? I'm not that knowledgable around berries, or should I just go with Choice Band(which I hate, because I'm always I afraid I'm gonna pick a move which is useless against the next pokemon).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sixfortyfive said:
I skipped everything between Yellow and Pearl.

It took a long time to get up to speed on everything.

And yet here you are, towering over everyone. :lol You're an inspiration to novice competitive Pokemon players everywhere.

Firestorm

My last Pokemon game before Pearl was Gold. Well, I guess I got FireRed for Christmas a few months before the English release of Pearl. Does that count?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mine before Pearl was Sapphire, which I barely played and now can't even find. The last games I beat before Pearl were Gold and Silver.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wiseblade said:
I'd hazard a guess that most competetive players started with Gen IV.

I always thought they started with Gen 3, that's why the physical/special split was such a big deal. Plus, cloned Pokemon and items.

Wiseblade

Andrex said:
I always thought they started with Gen 3, that's why the physical/special split was such a big deal. Plus, cloned Pokemon and items.

Back then Netbattle was really the only way to play people, so the number playing was really small. Also, EV training was a nightmare in those games. The physical special split also made battling less abstract IMO. there are tons of little things about D/P that made them far more friendly to competitive play than anything before.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I was aware of Netbattle back in RBY, but I never used it. I've only used Shoddybattle a handful of times.

Competitive play wasn't very prevalent on the actual game carts until wi-fi and auto-leveling came into play, as far as I can tell.

EDIT: Wiseblade, don't we have some trade to take care of? I've got my guy ready.

Wiseblade said:
Back then Netbattle was really the only way to play people, so the number playing was really small. Also, EV training was a nightmare in those games. The physical special split also made battling less abstract IMO. there are tons of little things about D/P that made them far more friendly to competitive play than anything before.

EV training wasn't that much worse in 3rd gen. The helpful addition of the power items is somewhat offset by the extra hassle needed to acquire vitamins.

You had 50% off sales on vitamins in RSE so stockpiling them was pretty easy. Or mass duplicate in Emerald. I guess you can get vitamins in the 4th gen BF but even if you have the BP to spare, exchanging for one vitamin at a time is a pain in the butt.

I do roughly twice as many battles in Emerald compared to the DS games when I'm maxing out a stat. The game speed in Emerald makes up a lot of that difference.

Firestorm

Little Green Yoda said:
EV training wasn't that much worse in 3rd gen. The helpful addition of the power items is somewhat offset by the extra hassle needed to acquire vitamins.

You had 50% off sales on vitamins in RSE so stockpiling them was pretty easy. Or mass duplicate in Emerald. I guess you can get vitamins in the 4th gen BF but even if you have the BP to spare, exchanging for one vitamin at a time is a pain in the butt.

I do roughly twice as many battles in Emerald compared to the DS games when I'm maxing out a stat. The game speed in Emerald makes up a lot of that difference.
Vitamins are sold in the Department store. That's where I bought mine.

Sixfortyfive

I stopped buying vitamins once I had all the power items and Pokerus anyway. 1 Carbos = 1 Magikarp.

Though I do still stockpile some of them when I'm close to the cash limit and don't have much of anything else I need to buy anyway.

Firestorm

Sixfortyfive said:
I stopped buying vitamins once I had all the power items and Pokerus anyway. 1 Carbos = 1 Magikarp.

Though I do still stockpile some of them when I'm close to the cash limit and don't have much of anything else I need to buy anyway.
I'm still too lazy. I bought 800k worth of vitamins for VGC EV training last week!

Negator

I just spent about an hour trying to get a foreign pokemon from the GTS to unlock the pokewalker route, and oh my god...level 100 Mewtwos for a Rattata? Come on, that's just stupid.

Edit: Oh man finally, I found some random japanese person that wanted a Ponyta for a poliwhirl. Jeez...

Firestorm said:
Vitamins are sold in the Department store. That's where I bought mine.

Yeah but 9800 per vitamin is pricey. 4900 per is easier on the wallet.

I like having 99 of each vitamin on hand even if I'm not going to train anything for a while. :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Whoo I got a Growlithe from the GTS! :D And it only cost a level one Piplup. GTS works better if you're the one doing the offering.

Next up: Mankey.

Edit- And it's Japanese! Awesome Pokewalker course coming up!

Negator said:
I just spent about an hour trying to get a foreign pokemon from the GTS to unlock the pokewalker route, and oh my god...level 100 Mewtwos for a Rattata? Come on, that's just stupid.

Edit: Oh man finally, I found some random japanese person that wanted a Ponyta for a poliwhirl. Jeez...
For some reason I can't get this course I've got several American(my game is Japanese) and Japanese pokemon via the GTS, but the route wont show up. Oh well it doesn't really matter since there really isn't anything great in it.

Just got a piplub for a Growlithe over the GTS!

Sixfortyfive

Anyone feel like battling?

I'm giving out a prize to anyone who can defeat my tournament team, so I'm looking for challengers who either aren't in the tournament or have already been knocked out.

Wiseblade

Sixfortyfive said:
I was aware of Netbattle back in RBY, but I never used it. I've only used Shoddybattle a handful of times.

Competitive play wasn't very prevalent on the actual game carts until wi-fi and auto-leveling came into play, as far as I can tell.

EDIT: Wiseblade, don't we have some trade to take care of? I've got my guy ready.

Oh snap! I totally forgot! Fortunately, I recently finished a nice little poke that I'll probably never use. Just say when you're going online.

Sixfortyfive

Wiseblade said:
Oh snap! I totally forgot! Fortunately, I recently finished a nice little poke that I'll probably never use. Just say when you're going online.
Signing on now. I think I still have your FC saved.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
:lol That would have been awesome. You would have been able to tell from my trainer ID it was me though, but I can't read Japanese so I can't tell whoever's I've got.

I actually think that Piplup had perfect HP and Speed IVs, although I don't remember if the nature was anything good (probably not.)

Sixfortyfive

Not sure what's up with the connection. You might have issues with hosting a session.

Anyway, this guy is mostly intended for the Battle Hall, as I figured that would be easier to make than something meant to be shoehorned into an existing versus team. He's based on my own attempt that I did a while back, with a few improvements/changes. All 31 IVs + an EV spread of 252atk/252speed/6spatk.

Wiseblade

Hey, a Salamence!

I hope you enjoy the scarf flygon I gave you.
Its IVs (they're pretty vague...): 10-19/25-27/27-28/30/10-19/26-29
With EVs: 252-Atk, 252-Speed, 6-HP.

Almost found all the gym leaders for rematches, just missing a few due to not having caught the Bird Trio yet.

A little annoying that the call time is so arbitary.

Sixfortyfive

Flygon's a pretty cool guy. He uses U-turn and doesn't afraid of anything.

Metroid Killer said:
Almost found all the gym leaders for rematches, just missing a few due to not having caught the Bird Trio yet.

A little annoying that the call time is so arbitary.
Make sure you're getting your daily grooming sessions from Daisy. That's one of the few things in the game that you can't really cheat the clock for at all. (You can, technically, but only to the point where you have to wait 15 hours between sessions instead of 24.)

Thanks

How do you guys organize your EV trained pokemon? You must have a bunch compared to my (15 or something) can you remember how much EV they got or are you able to recognize it instantly when looking at the stats?

Top Bottom