• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Firestorm

Metroid Killer said:
Thanks

How do you guys organize your EV trained pokemon? You must have a bunch compared to my (15 or something) can you remember how much EV they got or are you able to recognize it instantly when looking at the stats?
I have less than you =P I have the six I made for my singles OU team and I have the four for doubles that I'll be using at VGC this year. I honestly can't remember the EVs I have on my defensive singles Pokemon x.x

Axis said:
thanks, metroid...helped a lot! now i can EV train for the first time in my life...and waste it on a gimmick team
Oh, then are you sure you don't want them with some other natures, or doesn't it matter to your strategy?

Axis

Metroid Killer said:
Oh, then are you sure you don't want them with some other natures, or doesn't it matter to your strategy?

oh, no, i'll breed for specifics myself before i start...i just had to get them to start my process. takes time and whatnot

Echoes

Metroid Killer said:
^That looks like a pretty damn good team actually.
Does this mean that we are rivals?
http://ui08.gamespot.com/2407/samusdarksamus_2.jpg[IMG]

I'm almost ready to take on Palmer2. My team is at lvl 50+, EV trained, got all moves on them except for Garchomp which is missing an Earthquake(which is ironically since I need to grind BF for BP-_-). I just need to decide which items to put on them. Expert Belt for Starmie is full of win. Focus Sash for Lucario seems to be a good idea since his defenses are rather low. I'm not sure about Garchomp though, Focus Sash against Ice Types? I'm not that knowledgable around berries, or should I just go with Choice Band(which I hate, because I'm always I afraid I'm gonna pick a move which is useless against the next pokemon).[/QUOTE]
I recommend Yache Berry for Garchomp. It will lessen any Ice damage by 50%, meaning even an Ice Beam from a Cresselia won't OHKO you. Maybe Life Orb is a good choice, but I like Yache Berry for the fact that the system will always cheat and put the last Pokemon to have an Ice attack so that it kills your Garchomp.

Echoes

Firestorm said:
I like how Palmer magically changes his lead to counter my lead.
Oh, you haven't seen anything yet. Wait until they bring a team that is specifically made to take out your team.

FUCKERRRRRRRRRZ!

Echoes said:
I recommend Yache Berry for Garchomp. It will lessen any Ice damage by 50%, meaning even an Ice Beam from a Cresselia won't OHKO you. Maybe Life Orb is a good choice, but I like Yache Berry for the fact that the system will always cheat and put the last Pokemon to have an Ice attack so that it kills your Garchomp.
But if strong Ice Attacks then 2HKO Garchomp, wouldn't it be better to use Focus Sash then? Ice Attacks still 2HKO(unless it hails or something) and you are covered against other stuff that would otherwise have 1HKO.

ZZMitch

Hey GAF, how do you usually set up your pokemon?

I usually try to train a fire, water, grass and electricity pokemon and save the other two spots for eggs (depending on the game) and HM pokemon.

Echoes

^ Go with your heart. Play with whatever you like the best ;-) However, I try to have different types and attacks so I don't get beaten easily.
Metroid Killer said:
But if strong Ice Attacks then 2HKO Garchomp, wouldn't it be better to use Focus Sash then? Ice Attacks still 2HKO(unless it hails or something) and you are covered against other stuff that would otherwise have 1HKO.
The only super-effective type against Garchomp's typing is Ice. Focus Sash is nice, but that will leave your Lucario frail. You could, however, give him a Focus Band. It's like Focus Sash, but with a twist. Your Pokemon may survive a KO (whether it's at full HP or not) but with a toss. It largely depends on luck, but since Garchomp is almost always 2HKO'd by Ice attacks, this item will make it 3 hits sometimes.

Though, not sure but, I think an Ice-attack from an Ice Poke will OHKO due to its being STAB. Not sure though.

Echoes said:
The only super-effective type against Garchomp's typing is Ice. Focus Sash is nice, but that will leave your Lucario frail. You could, however, give him a Focus Band. It's like Focus Sash, but with a twist. Your Pokemon may survive a KO (whether it's at full HP or not) but with a toss. It largely depends on luck, but since Garchomp is almost always 2HKO'd by Ice attacks, this item will make it 3 hits sometimes.

Though, not sure but, I think an Ice-attack from an Ice Poke will OHKO due to its being STAB. Not sure though.
Oh yeah forgot about the item clause, and I guess the Yachee Berry makes more sense covering Garchomp's only threat.

Echoes

Uh, not sure why, but I wanna try a new thing. Changed Lucario with a CurseLax. Curse, Body Slam, EQuake, Self Destruct. Holding Leftovers, and the ability is Thick Fat of course.

The irony? First 'mon against me: Hitmonlee. Of course...

pix

Hey guys, I just picked this up on saturday and I have put 20 hours into it. Awesome game so far. I havent played a Pokemon since Red/Blue. I would like to do some trading with you guys here to evolve my pokemon but this is my first DS game so I am not sure how the Wifi works. Where do you get the friends code? And how can I test my connection? I dont have wireless enabled on my router at home, so once I do that, how can I see if it works with the DS or not?

pix said:
Hey guys, I just picked this up on saturday and I have put 20 hours into it. Awesome game so far. I havent played a Pokemon since Red/Blue. I would like to do some trading with you guys here to evolve my pokemon but this is my first DS game so I am not sure how the Wifi works. Where do you get the friends code? And how can I test my connection? I dont have wireless enabled on my router at home, so once I do that, how can I see if it works with the DS or not?
You should get an in game item called the Pal Pad. There you can see your FC and register friends. The only major thing you need to know is that, at most, the wireless needs to be WEP encrypted. Does not work with WPA.

pix

Jet Grind Radio! said:
You should get an in game item called the Pal Pad. There you can see your FC and register friends. The only major thing you need to know is that, at most, the wireless needs to be WEP encrypted. Does not work with WPA.

Ok thanks man! Ill have to set up something when I get home.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU
No problems in this game what-so-ever with gym leaders and I take down 2 Dragonair and 1 Gyarados and then she busts out Kingdra... OHKO's every pokemon in my party including my lvl 52 Pupitar. I hate you Clair.

I can only imagine the loathing I am going to have for the Elite 4 based off of this.

I got Articuno with very little problems. Used Swift to get it to low health, paralyzed with Thunder Shock and 4 Dusk Balls and 1 Level Ball.

To get the fossils, where is the best place to use Rock Smash?

cory

Banned
Here is my team going into the 8th gym:
Piloswine Lv.33
Ampharos Lv. 41
Typhlosion Lv.42
Poliwhirl Lv.38 (Where can I get a Water Stone?)
Murkrow Lv.32
*HM Slave*

Echoes said:
Ruins of Alph. The only place for fossils AFAIK.
There's also a place near the Safari Zone (I think it's route 47 inside the mountain) where you can get the fossils for.. uh Lyleep(sp?) and arconith(sp?)... I fucking hate spelling pokemon names...))

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Really? Argh. I hate he Ruins of Alph. D:

At least I caught Zapdos. Only took about 15 Ultra Balls. Now for Moltres.
Don't worry it's in the outside area, just when you enter the area from the northen gate.

cory said:
It looks like Mamoswine will be pretty good. Too bad I can't get it until after the Elite 4.
You can get Waterstones at the Pokeathlon, it's limited before E4 but you can buy one on wednesday.

There's nothing stopping you from getting Mamoswine before E4, I used it myself and it's really great against the dragons.

cory said:
It looks like Mamoswine will be pretty good. Too bad I can't get it until after the Elite 4.
Isn't that the Final Swinub evolution? I think it's one of those evolutions that needs a move to evolve. So it should be doable pre-E4.

cory

Banned
Metroid Killer said:
You can get Waterstones at the Pokeathlon, it's limited before E4 but you can buy one on wednesday.

There's nothing stopping you from getting Mamoswine before E4, I used it myself and it's really great against the dragons.
How do I get Mamoswine then?

Go to the move realearner in Blackthorn City(left to the PokeMart I think), and for a Heart Scale the swinub or the other swine can learn Ancient Power and evolve into Grandswine

Metroid Killer said:
Go to the move realearner in Blackthorn City(left to the PokeMart I think), and for a Heart Scale the swinub or the other swine can learn Ancient Power and evolve into Grandswine
I might have to do this as well. Now to find/trade from my plat a Heart Scale.

42 win streak at the Battle Tower, 6 people between me and Palmer2. Damn I'm nervous about this shit.

Though so far Starmie, Garchomp and Lucario have been incredible. It feels so fucking great when facing an electric opponment with Starmie only to switch into the electric attack with Garchomp and render it useless :D

Chorazin

Metroid Killer said:

Can you skip the middle evolution and go right from Swinub to Mamoswine if you teach the Swinub Ancient Power?

pix

So as I said I am newish to the series. There is 450 some odd Pokemon in this game. Can I get them all just using this game? Or do I have to own other games as well? I know you have to trade to evolve some pokemon, but I will be abit dissapointed if I can only get certain pokemon by owning the other versions before this one. Is there a list of all the ones I can't get in SS?

cory

Banned
pix said:
So as I said I am newish to the series. There is 450 some odd Pokemon in this game. Can I get them all just using this game? Or do I have to own other games as well? I know you have to trade to evolve some pokemon, but I will be abit dissapointed if I can only get certain pokemon by owning the other versions before this one. Is there a list of all the ones I can't get in SS?
You can get most of the Pokémon between the 2 games.
Here are the differences between HG and SS:
http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/exclusives.shtml
And here are the ones you can't get in either:
http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/unobtainable.shtml

There's a looooot of pokemon in HGSS. I'm almost at 600 hours and still 40 pokemon short of a full pokedex. Filling the entire pokedex is hardcore...

Also all the versions exclusive can easily be traded (me plus a lot of other members in this thread will gladly give them to you), it basically boils down to a 12 (or so) legendaries that are gonna be troublesome to get.

Adamm

cory said:
Here is my team going into the 8th gym:
Piloswine Lv.33
Ampharos Lv. 41
Typhlosion Lv.42
Poliwhirl Lv.38 (Where can I get a Water Stone?)
Murkrow Lv.32
*HM Slave*

Are HM slaves a good way to go?
When i played red (all the many years ago) i remeber struggling with trying to keep pokemon in my party that new all the HMs & wasting a ability slots.

Fuck! Lost two battles before Palmer2!! Grrr!

Lucario used Sword Dance

Porygon-Z used Thunderbolt. Lucario became paralized!

Lucario can't move.

Porygon-Z used Tri Attack *Lucario faints*

*sends out Garchomp*

Garchomp used Outrage

Porygon-Z used Tri Attack. Garchomp became paralized.

Garchomp used Outrage *Porygon-Z faints*

*Opponment sends out Electrivire*

Electrivire used Earthquake

Garchomp is confused. *Garchomp kills itself*

Sends out suicidal Starmie...

-_-

Wizpig

Here's a cool battle I did against a friend the last week or so, check it out when you have some free time and let me know what you think.

91-83735-92731

cory

Banned
My Diamond is at home, I've been stuck on the Elite 4 since May 07.
Edit: I'm not sure, but I think the evolution theme was different for Mamoswine than all the other ones. Maybe it's a Johto/Sinnoh thing.

cory

Banned
I beat Clair! Without my Typhlosion too (forgot to switch out Raticate)
Kingdra is absolutely evil. It's only weakness is Dragon.
Ampharos took care of the Gyarados in one hit, and did a good amount of damage to Kingdra, and then with Poliwhirl I used Body Slam to paralyze and beat Kingdra.
Mamoswine took care of the Dragonairs pretty quickly too, though it wasn't quite up to level to withstand more than one of their attacks.

One question on the Safari Zone. Serebii has a very useful guide that says "After x days". Now, do I have to place the blocks and wait that amount of days or does this just mean the area has to be placed for that amount of days?

cory

Banned
Kimono Girls were a nice way to tie the Johto half of the game together.
Should I wait until nighttime to get Ho-oh so that I can use Dusk Balls?
Edit: Caught Ho-oh on my 2nd Dusk ball of my 2nd attempt(Accidental Critical Hit the first time after using 8 Dusk Balls). I set the clock forward to nighttime.
I have caught every wild Pokémon in Johto that doesn't require Hoenn/Sinnoh Sound/National Dex/Super Rod except for Lugia, Horsea, Snubbull, Heracross, and Machoke. I also have to get Pinsir, Scyther, and Beedrill in the Bug-Catching Competition.
I should probably take a break to evolve the ones that I can so I have a better idea of which ones I have left.

Echoes

Metroid Killer said:
Fuck! Lost two battles before Palmer2!! Grrr!

Lucario used Sword Dance

Porygon-Z used Thunderbolt. Lucario became paralized!

Lucario can't move.

Porygon-Z used Tri Attack *Lucario faints*

*sends out Garchomp*

Garchomp used Outrage

Porygon-Z used Tri Attack. Garchomp became paralized.

Garchomp used Outrage *Porygon-Z faints*

*Opponment sends out Electrivire*

Electrivire used Earthquake

Garchomp is confused. *Garchomp kills itself*

Sends out suicidal Starmie...

-_-
I was expecting such a reply... :(

Words of advice: at the sight of any Porygon, never hesitate to Close Combat his shitty techno-brain to death. Never set up on it.

Top Bottom