• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Won't be able to hop online until tomorrow, unfortunately, though you do make a good point.
PM me if you are interested then.
Gravijah said:
Teddiursa and it's evo are like the most generic Pokemon ever. I hate them.
Pickup ability makes them pretty useful if you ask me.

vhfive

cory said:
I cannot hit Koga's Crobat.
Muk was the only I had trouble with the second time through the (2nd)Elite 4 (because he minimized an ungodly amount of times and kept poisoning my pokes).

well that and sword dance garchomp (wasted about 10 revives on that bitch)

cory said:
How did I forget about that. I beat him anyway. On to Bruno.
Aw crap I forgot to switch out my HM slaves. :/
Muk, Golbat, and Espeon were the only Pokémon during the E4 I had major problems with. Golbat and Espeon mostly because of their evasive maneuvers. Muk because of Black Sludge, Minimize and having so much HP. Eventually, I got my Alakazam at a high enough level to OHKO it with just Psybeam.

cory

Banned
I made it to Bruno's Machamp on my first time, just going straight through Victory Road without any training and with my field team, not my battle team.

This is my team:
Typhlosion, Lv.46 - Flamethrower, Swift, Smokescreen, Lava Plume
Ampharos, Lv.46 - Tackle(I know), Signal Beam, Discharge, ThunderPunch
Ho-oh, Lv.45 - Extrasensory, Sunny Day, Fire Blast, Sacred Fire
Poliwhirl, Lv.41 - Body Slam, Surf(To be deleted), Hypnosis, Waterfall
Mamoswine, Lv.35 - Ice Shard, Icy Wind, AncientPower, Mud Bomb
Murkrow, Lv. 32 - Fly, Night Shade, Pursuit, Assurance

I could also use a Donphan I picked up in Victory Road.

So should I give up on making sure my pokemon get proper EVs until after I beat all the story mode?

I have been trying some more UU pokemon and had the following:

Noctowl lvl 40 (that I unfortunately forgot to check the ability of so it's nature is -Att+SpD with Keen Eye)
Reflect
Air Slash
Confusion (waiting to replace it with psybeam)
Zen Headbutt (I've been conservative with TM use and am not sure if I want to give up Roost yet)

Feraligatr lvl 46 (Calm)
Ice Fang
Crunch
Waterfall
Screech

Dragonair lvl 43 (Quiet because I for some reason assumed that it was neutral)
Flamethrower
Surf
Agility
Dragon Rush

Togetic lvl 42 (Rash because I was okay with it losing some SpD if it meant stronger SpA)
Yawn
Wish
Extrasensory
Ancient Power

Diglett lvl 25 (caught one with Lonely so I stuck with that ability)
Sucker Punch
Magnitude (earthquake until it learns earthquake)
Dig (waiting to replace it with a better sweeping move)
Mud Slap (figured a damaging sand attack could be useful on something with arena trap)

I'm at elite four and did some test runs against them to find that I needed to train my pokemon a few more levels. I'm considering "cheating" by using the lugia I caught.

cory said:
I made it to Bruno's Machamp on my first time, just going straight through Victory Road without any training and with my field team, not my battle team.

This is my team:

Actually, I'd say delete Waterfall and keep Surf.

Firestorm

cory said:

This is my team:

Abuse the shit out of Hypnosis.

I made it through with:

Typhlosion, LV43 - Flamethrower, Strength, Smokescreen, Quick Attack
Slowking, LV43 - Yawn, Surf, Nasty Plot, Whirlpool
Scyther, LV41 or 42 - Cut, Wing Attack, X-Scissor, False Swipe
Togekiss, LV41 or 42 - Fly, Encore, Wish, Extrasensory (I LIKE HOW THIS IS THE ONLY SPECIAL ATTACK I LEARNED stupid game)
Umbreon, LV33, Confuse Ray, Quick Attack, Sand Attack, Tail Whip
Charmander, LV9, Does it really matter?

I basically Super Repelled my way through Victory Road as well. My Typhlosion has a Choice Specs I got from my mom I think. Used that + Flamethrower on him. Scyther used Wing Attack and X-Scissor for massive damage output. Togekiss usually just Wish or Encored on their setup moves when possible. Slowking was a champ with Yawn + Nasty Plot.

Sleep + Stat up moves are a must on Elite Four if you're underlevelled imo.

Ho-oh with Sunny Day + Sacred Fire and Typhlosion with Specs Flamethrower to follow it if it dies could be good.

Edit: Oh and if you're like me, you'll need like 30 Hyper Potions and Revives :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So tonight's conversation made me want to competitive train a Skarmory, just for me, since I <3 it and think Steel and Flying, on their own, are super cool types, both in my top three favorites.

And apparently... Skarmory is OU? Really? :lol I thought for sure its common weaknesses (Fire and Electric) would rule it out, but apparently not. This is cool. It's always nice to see that one of your favorite Pokemon is actually usable. :)

Firestorm

Andrex said:
So tonight's conversation made me want to competitive train a Skarmory, just for me, since I <3 it and think Steel and Flying, on their own, are super cool types, both in my top three favorites.

And apparently... Skarmory is OU? Really? :lol I thought for sure its common weaknesses (Fire and Electric) would rule it out, but apparently not. This is cool. It's always nice to see that one of your favorite Pokemon is actually usable. :)
Have you seen it's friggin defense stat? It's less useful than it was last generation, but useful nonetheless - especially not that it gets Roost, Stealth Rock, and Brave Bird.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Firestorm said:
Have you seen it's friggin defense stat? It's less useful than it was last generation, but useful nonetheless - especially not that it gets Roost, Stealth Rock, and Brave Bird.

I saw the defense but for some reason I thought the metagame leaned more towards the offensive side.

Andrex said:
I saw the defense but for some reason I thought the metagame leaned more towards the offensive side.

stealth rock is as offensive as it gets. and if it's a fire type being used against skarm, stealth rock will guarantee it loses at least 1/8 of its hp when switched in.

cory

Banned
Squire Felix said:
K wow, snubble appears in swarms so much. Want me to catch you guys some or what haha?
Nah, if it's catchable in my game, I have to catch it myself. Also, I don't get swarms yet.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TestOfTide said:
stealth rock is as offensive as it gets. and if it's a fire type being used against skarm, stealth rock will guarantee it loses at least 1/8 of its hp when switched in.

I guess so. I already have a good Stealth Rocker on my team though. :p

jrricky

Banned
So I am a little pissed that someone earlier at launch in this thread told me the new strategy was just only going to be about Kanto. Now I found out that it was actually a combination of both regions Johto and Kanto in the guide (which was what I wanted in the first place). So Im a little angry that I spent money on a Johto exclusive guide that costs the same as the new full combination guide. >:/ Misinformation FTW!!!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Bulbapedia has been annoying me. IMO pages should forward straight to the (Pokemon) page with a link to the disambiguation page below the title. Heck, since there's a (Pokemon) page type, why not make an (Anime) one and cut every page in half?

Structurally things are quite the mess... even still, it has pretty great info.

jrricky

Banned
Jintor said:
You should just be angry you spent money on a guide... Bulbapedia has what you need.
Sometimes I would rather have a book than to constantly be coming to the computer. Plus following the guide when it is right beside me ensures I do everything I need to do in each and every city with just a quick glimpse.

cory

Banned
Andrex said:
Bulbapedia has been annoying me. IMO pages should forward straight to the (Pokemon) page with a link to the disambiguation page below the title. Heck, since there's a (Pokemon) page type, why not make an (Anime) one and cut every page in half?

Structurally things are quite the mess... even still, it has pretty great info.
A lot of the routes still need proper HGSS updating for the wild Pokémon %.
Easily the prettiest Pokémon site. But yeah, I type in full wiki addresses and it annoys me that it doesn't automatically go to the species page. I wouldn't say it provides a straight walkthrough though (it links to a practically empty Strategy wiki). MyCheats has a good guide. IGN's is very basic. And of course Gamefaqs.
Bulbapedia+Serebii+Smogon+Pokébeach will give you everything you need to know about Pokémon.

Edit: Mamoswine was one of the best Pokémon decisions I've ever made. Plus I actually like his design, and I wasn't a big fan of Swinub and Piloswine.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Smogon is definitely the prettiest, just a really classy site no matter how you look at it. Heck you can even download ShoddyBattle info for each moveset they have, that shit is cash.

Echoes

Andrex said:

Skarmory won me a lot of matches. If you want an all-around lead I'd recommend Aerodactyl, but Skarmory is a freaking beast.

Set up Stealth Rock, and then decide whether you want to stack Spikes or Whirlwind your opponent. I once won a match by SR+Spikes+WWind. Just that. Imagine the horror. Of course, the opponent wasn't experienced much, but still. Roar/Whirlwind not only kill any attempt at setting up, but makes the new comer gets beaten with either SR or Spikes or both.

Once, I set up 3 layers of Spikes, Stealth Rock, and Toxic Spikes. All with Forretress. My opponent was doing the same, until suddenly my Forretress used Rapid Spin hahaha :lol I basically won the match then with Drapion. Swords Dance + Night Slash/Ice Fang/Cross Poison.

My god I love competitive Pokemon. I don't care much if I lost. It's just too damn awesome.

Firestorm

Andrex said:
Smogon is definitely the prettiest, just a really classy site no matter how you look at it. Heck you can even download ShoddyBattle info for each moveset they have, that shit is cash.
Yeah, if you ever look the source code it's beatiful. I think that's what happens when you put a genius computer scientist in charge of a site with tons of capable contributors. Serebii has a lot of information and I go there for in-game info, but the site design feels like it's stuck in 1999 and the navigation is confusing as hell.

cory

Banned
Andrex said:
It's not very widescreen friendly IMO.
Plus Bulba has rounded tables on Firefox.
Edit: http://web.archive.org/web/20010205172000/serebii.net/index2.shtml Serebii has not changed its basic layout ever.
Edit2: Smogon source code is elegant as fuck. I can appreciate it because I'm trying to make a simple blog from scratch, started working on it last week, http://corysmithmusic.com/ (url will change to title of site as soon as it's ready)

Maximus.

Hey guys quick question, on seribii.net it says that we can rebattle certain trainers from 8pm-5am, but after 12am these people dont want to fight again. Does anyone else have this problem or is the website wrong?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Fraull said:
Hey guys quick question, on seribii.net it says that we can rebattle certain trainers from 8pm-5am, but after 12am these people dont want to fight again. Does anyone else have this problem or is the website wrong?

Seribii isn't infallible (and frankly, I kinda hate the site's owner/Seribii), he can be wrong on some things.

AFAIK, you should be able to rebattle them anytime at the gym leader house in Kanto. But I haven't beaten the Kanto gyms yet to have them all to bother battling them again. Someone else (SixFourtyFive) can help you?

Firestorm

cory said:
It's not very widescreen friendly IMO.
Plus Bulba has rounded tables on Firefox.
Edit: http://web.archive.org/web/20010205172000/serebii.net/index2.shtml Serebii has not changed its basic layout ever.
Edit2: Smogon source code is elegant as fuck. I can appreciate it because I'm trying to make a simple blog from scratch, started working on it last week, http://corysmithmusic.com/ (url will change to title of site as soon as it's ready)
Really? What don't you like about it on widescreens? I usually use 1920x1080 and 1280x800 screens I found nothing wrong.

Edit: This is how Smogon looked when I got back into Pokemon: http://web.archive.org/web/20070109222319/http://www.smogon.com/

Images are missing unfortunately. It then went down as DP crashed their servers >_>; Reborn months later in its current form.

Edit2: Haha wow. How it looked in 2005: http://web.archive.org/web/20050626023135/http://www.smogon.com/

cory

Banned
Firestorm said:
Really? What don't you like about it on widescreens? I usually use 1920x1080 and 1280x800 screens I found nothing wrong.
I don't really like that the tables expand to the width of the page.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Echoes said:
Skarmory won me a lot of matches. If you want an all-around lead I'd recommend Aerodactyl, but Skarmory is a freaking beast.

Set up Stealth Rock, and then decide whether you want to stack Spikes or Whirlwind your opponent. I once won a match by SR+Spikes+WWind. Just that. Imagine the horror. Of course, the opponent wasn't experienced much, but still. Roar/Whirlwind not only kill any attempt at setting up, but makes the new comer gets beaten with either SR or Spikes or both.

Once, I set up 3 layers of Spikes, Stealth Rock, and Toxic Spikes. All with Forretress. My opponent was doing the same, until suddenly my Forretress used Rapid Spin hahaha :lol I basically won the match then with Drapion. Swords Dance + Night Slash/Ice Fang/Cross Poison.

My god I love competitive Pokemon. I don't care much if I lost. It's just too damn awesome.

Sounds awesome. :lol

As a noob myself, how do I stop that Spike+WWind tactic? >.>

cdyhybrid

Andrex said:
As a noob myself, how do I stop that Spike+WWind tactic? >.>

Rapid Spin for Spikes (won't affect Ghost-types unless you use a move that allows Normal-type attacks to hit Ghosts) and Taunt/Suction Cups-like abilities for WWind. I think Soundproof also works for Roar.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
cdyhybrid said:
Rapid Spin for Spikes (won't affect Ghost-types unless you use a move that allows Normal-type attacks to hit Ghosts) and Taunt/Suction Cups-like abilities for WWind. I think Soundproof also works for Roar.

Hrm, I guess I have to teach those to my team then...

Also, can Gallade breed?

El Sloth

Banned
Echoes said:

I had flashbacks. :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
Don't see why not.

Just got a call from Day-C Man. :D

I think I'm actually filling my Hoenn Dex more than anything. :lol Although I only have like 5 or 6 left until I'm done with Kanto. :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OK I love Skarmory but seriously he's the fourth (out of four) Pokemon I'm competitively training that's weak to Electric moves. :lol Plus I have plans for another Togekiss.

I guess my only hope is Snorlax and Raichu. :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OK this Skarmory I just caught has a 26 HP IV, 28 Sp.Atk IV, and 30 Sp.Def IV. Which should I pass down? Thanks to 645 I can pass down any other perfect IV thanks to his All 31 Ditto.

Obviously, probably not Special Attack. Also, I wonder if the rumors are true that giving both a power item to pass down IVs only works 50% of the time, or something like that.

Does this go in the competitive thread? :lol Figured with the tourney going on it'd be better placed here.

Hmm before I got into Pokemon again I always thought you(Andrex) were like the biggest and most hardcore pokemon on neogaf. But this is the first time you are tapping into the competetive scene, right? It's just that I recognized your avatars being pokemon and probably from seeing you post in pokemon realted threads.

Quick question ladies and gents.

In HG/SS, If I don't catch Entei/Raikou at the first sighting (and didn't defeat them), I still have a chance to, right?

Been a while since the original Gold/Silver and can't remember for the life of me. I'm training and taking the game at a regular pace, so capturing these fools isn't priority one at the moment. Just need to know before I save my game and possibly lose my chance.

Thanks in advance!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Metroid Killer said:
Hmm before I got into Pokemon again I always thought you(Andrex) were like the biggest and most hardcore pokemon on neogaf. But this is the first time you are tapping into the competetive scene, right? It's just that I recognized your avatars being pokemon and probably from seeing you post in pokemon realted threads.

:D

I got started in Pearl after my break from the Advanced generation, and burned out shortly thereafter due to A) going it alone and B) not turning animations off. v.v

SS has started a Pokemon renaissance... almost everywhere I'm finding, and thanks to the support here I'm really taking to the competitive scene.

But no, I'm nowhere near the most hardcore on GAF. I'd definitely say that's Sixfortyfive if only because he also does all the RNG stuff everyone else here is afraid to touch. :p Also, basically everyone in the tournament (even those eliminated) are far beyond where I am right now. I'll be perfectly content to get my 6 or 7 Pokemon ready to go competitively. :)

Essentially all I want to do is beat my non-GAF friends. :p And hold my own here as well.

But, disregarding the competitive side, I am a pretty big Pokefreak here and aren't afraid to show it. :D (Obviously, see: avatar.) Although I've always thought Firestorm was more of a recognizable Pokefreak than me, he's been here longer and has a much more recognizable avatar.

Gravijah

Nintendo Playstation said:
Quick question ladies and gents.

In HG/SS, If I don't catch Entei/Raikou at the first sighting (and didn't defeat them), I still have a chance to, right?

Been a while since the original Gold/Silver and can't remember for the life of me. I'm training and taking the game at a regular pace, so capturing these fools isn't priority one at the moment. Just need to know before I save my game and possibly lose my chance.

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, if they run from you (which they will unless you take precautions against that) you just chase them around the map. If you kill them, you just have to beat the Elite Four to get them to respawn.

Andrex said:
:D

I got started in Pearl after my break from the Advanced generation, and burned out shortly thereafter due to A) going it alone and B) not turning animations off. v.v

SS has started a Pokemon renaissance... almost everywhere I'm finding, and thanks to the support here I'm really taking to the competitive scene.

But no, I'm nowhere near the most hardcore on GAF. I'd definitely say that's Sixfortyfive if only because he also does all the RNG stuff everyone else here is afraid to touch. :p Also, basically everyone in the tournament (even those eliminated) are far beyond where I am right now. I'll be perfectly content to get my 6 or 7 Pokemon ready to go competitively. :)

Essentially all I want to do is beat my non-GAF friends. :p And hold my own here as well.

But, disregarding the competitive side, I am a pretty big Pokefreak here and aren't afraid to show it. :D (Obviously, see: avatar.) Although I've always thought Firestorm was more of a recognizable Pokefreak than me, he's been here longer and has a much more recognizable avatar.

I'm not really a competitive person so I don't delve deep into the Pokemon metagame, but man I am definitely a Pokenerd. :D

Gravijah said:
Yeah, if they run from you (which they will unless you take precautions against that) you just chase them around the map. If you kill them, you just have to beat the Elite Four to get them to respawn.
Thank you! I'm trying to grind a Rattata into a Raticate (it would be MUCH easier to just catch one, I know.) and the first step into grass after making them disperse from the tower reveals Entei. Then I spot Raikou a few minutes later. The two really seem to like the areas around Ecruteak City at night for me. I bet I'll have trouble finding them again when I want them, just like old times. :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Firestorm said:
I only switched to this avatar when I kicked off the first Pokemon tournament actually. I meant it to be temporary but I liked it better than my old avatar so I stuck with it.

When was that and what was your old one? :eek:

Nintendo Playstation said:
Thank you! I'm trying to grind a Rattata into a Raticate (it would be MUCH easier to just catch one, I know.) and the first step into grass after making them disperse from the tower reveals Entei. Then I spot Raikou a few minutes later. The two really seem to like the areas around Ecruteak City at night for me. I bet I'll have trouble finding them again when I want them, just like old times. :lol
Tracking them around the map is actually quite easy since their "current location" icons appear on the pokegear map.

Basic rules of thumb:

1) They change their position (i.e. they will walk from one place to another) when you do *or* when you encounter one of them. If you go from Route 40 to Route 41, they will change their positions. If on Route 41, you encounter Raikou, they'll shift again.

2) They only ever shift from one route to an adjacent route (i.e. they never warp)

3) They tend not to change direction until they get to a crossroads (i.e. they might change direction at Ecruteak but not at Goldenrod)

4) Using Fly randomises their locations and directions

Thus, you can take advantage of places on the map where they're "funnelled" and make a guess at where they'll go next.

Top Bottom