• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Gravijah

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Tracking them around the map is actually quite easy since their "current location" icons appear on the pokegear map.

Basic rules of thumb:

1) They change their position (i.e. they will walk from one place to another) when you do *or* when you encounter one of them. If you go from Route 40 to Route 41, they will change their positions. If on Route 41, you encounter Raikou, they'll shift again.

2) They only ever shift from one route to an adjacent route (i.e. they never warp)

3) They tend not to change direction until they get to a crossroads (i.e. they might change direction at Ecruteak but not at Goldenrod)

4) Using Fly randomises their locations and directions

Thus, you can take advantage of places on the map where they're "funnelled" and make a guess at where they'll go next.
They also thankfully stay in Johto, which is relatively small compared to Sinnoh and Hoenn. Lati@s on the other hand... I'm not quite sure if it stays in Kanto or goes through both maps, as I haven't played SS in a bit.

cory

Banned
I need to play Diamond again(Or get Platinum), while I recognize all of the Sinnoh Pokémon, they aren't really in my brain like the Kanto/Johto Pokémon.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Firestorm said:
Tournament started on May 28th, 2007 and ended at the beginning of July 2007. Double Elimination with 48 players =P

My old avatar was a gif of Tails from either Sonic Advance or Sonic Advance 2.

:lol Grandjedi at the bottom.

Your current one is better, definitely.

Still kinda need advice for my Skarmory though. >.>

Echoes

My god I'm going extreme. First I started with EV-training and was cursing the life of IV breeding. Then, IV breeding seemed like a nice idea. Now? I have 3 Starmie all with different strategies. 4 Charizard. 6 fucking Bronzong :lol and the list goes on.

Part of me fears the addiction. The other part wants to marry GameFreak.

Echoes

Andrex said:
Still kinda need advice for my Skarmory though. >.>
Skarmory = defense. You want to pass down HP and Def IVs if you want a physical tank.

I'll give you an advice. Put a Flash Fire Pokemon in your Skarmory team. People will almost always switch to a fire Pokemon/attack to stop your set-up. Absorbing the fire-attack and hitting back hard is definitely good. Also, you can go wild with 2 set-up Pokemons. Start with Aerodactyl since he's the fastest Stealth Rock user. Moveset will be something like SR, Taunt, Earthquake (or Rock Slide, or both), and/or Whirlwind. If the opponent is Skar or Forretress or any other set-up Poke, taunt it and stop their nasty job. Then SR with ease. You can even wreak havoc upon a faster Taunt user since you have EQ/RS and won't be struggling.

Then later, unleash the devastating Skar and set up Spikes etc etc. Your opponent will mostly be surprised.

Can't believe my noobish mind came out with a strategy.

Echoes said:
My god I'm going extreme. First I started with EV-training and was cursing the life of IV breeding. Then, IV breeding seemed like a nice idea. Now? I have 3 Starmie all with different strategies. 4 Charizard. 6 fucking Bronzong :lol and the list goes on.
I understand Charizard, you can never get too much of him, but 6 Bronzong? :lol

I draw the line at IV. It's just too much randomness for me(yeah I know about the EV items) to spend time on as well. I'm more than busy just playing the game, ev training and filling the pokedex. But damn you Echoes, when you gave me that Misdreavus and told me it had perfect IVs in two stats, I actually began caring for the IVs until I said fuck it after breeding a couple of times.

Echoes

Because I want to try out the most nasty fuckfest ever: Trick Room team with 6 Bronzongs :lol :lol :lol

I don't care *much* about perfect IVs, I just want 1 or 2 stats maxed. However, when 645 gave me a gift (FUCKING AWESOME GIFT MAN T_T) with 31/31/30/30/30 IV spread and an awesome Hidden Power type... Yeah, I said fuck it; this is too good and I want IN!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Metroid Killer said:
I understand Charizard, you can never get too much of him, but 6 Bronzong? :lol

I draw the line at IV. It's just too much randomness for me(yeah I know about the EV items) to spend time on as well. I'm more than busy just playing the game, ev training and filling the pokedex. But damn you Echoes, when you gave me that Misdreavus and told me it had perfect IVs in two stats, I actually began caring for the IVs until I said fuck it after breeding a couple of times.

Honestly I was the same way in Pearl, Natures without Everstone (and even with) and EVs without Pokerus made me go "Screw IVs forever."

But now with this All 31 Ditto and Power Items transferring IVs... it's gotten a lot easier, at least for me. As has Natures and EV training.

cory

Banned
To: Karen's Houndoom

I hate you.

Ok, I got lucky and got Surf to hit twice on you.
Now to deal with Lance and his Dragonites.
Edit 2: Fuckin Outrage.
Edit 3: Beat Lance on 1st try!!!!
195x77.jpg

Biggest Lie Ever:
dwxffb.jpg

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Tracking them around the map is actually quite easy since their "current location" icons appear on the pokegear map.

Basic rules of thumb:

1) They change their position (i.e. they will walk from one place to another) when you do *or* when you encounter one of them. If you go from Route 40 to Route 41, they will change their positions. If on Route 41, you encounter Raikou, they'll shift again.

2) They only ever shift from one route to an adjacent route (i.e. they never warp)

3) They tend not to change direction until they get to a crossroads (i.e. they might change direction at Ecruteak but not at Goldenrod)

4) Using Fly randomises their locations and directions

Thus, you can take advantage of places on the map where they're "funnelled" and make a guess at where they'll go next.

It's worth noting that they only move locations when you transition between areas normally, if you go through a building or gate house they will not move. You can abuse this to great effect between Goldenrod City and Violet City.

Here are a couple of examples:

1: Entei is on route 32, you are in Goldenrod City. Exit Goldenrod via the north exit to get on route 35, go through the building to the National Park, take the east exit from the National Park, run along route 36 to the north entrance to Ruins of Alph and exit the ruins from the east exit. You will now be on route 32 with Entei, and he won't have moved since every area transition involved going through a building.

2: Raikou is on route 35, you are on route 31. Go west into Violet City, take the north-west exit onto route 36, go to the east National Park exit and run through until you reach route 35.

Wiseblade

Echoes said:
Skarmory won me a lot of matches. If you want an all-around lead I'd recommend Aerodactyl, but Skarmory is a freaking beast.

Set up Stealth Rock, and then decide whether you want to stack Spikes or Whirlwind your opponent. I once won a match by SR+Spikes+WWind. Just that. Imagine the horror. Of course, the opponent wasn't experienced much, but still. Roar/Whirlwind not only kill any attempt at setting up, but makes the new comer gets beaten with either SR or Spikes or both.

Once, I set up 3 layers of Spikes, Stealth Rock, and Toxic Spikes. All with Forretress. My opponent was doing the same, until suddenly my Forretress used Rapid Spin hahaha :lol I basically won the match then with Drapion. Swords Dance + Night Slash/Ice Fang/Cross Poison.

My god I love competitive Pokemon. I don't care much if I lost. It's just too damn awesome.

Yeah, now I'm out of the tournament (gasp!) I can talk about our match in detail.

That Froslass lead threw me for a loop when I first saw it. Watching it back, switching to
Tyranitar was not the best idea... I'm assuming the idea was to prevent SR being set up, right?

Skarmory can cause real trouble for my team, especially if he gets the chance to set up spikes. So I really wanted to shut that down quick. And often where the metal bird is, that bloddy pink egg freak isn't far behind... (note to self: Keep Hera alive!)

I don't think you expected my Empoleon(shock!) to be bulky enough to take a fire blast and Brick Break, but even I was a little surprised about the OHKO of Charizard.

GG again.

cdyhybrid

Got my team EV trained, now I just have to actually level them up to get all their moves and evolve fully -.- And I need to find a way to get Magneton to evolve into Magnezone. I have a Platinum cart, but only one DS =\

Echoes

Frosslas as a lead may seam a weird choice but I was testing it out for quite a while. She has Ice Beam, Taunt, Spikes, and Destiny Bond. With a Focus Sash, you could Destiny Bond a Choice Scarfed Pokemon (or basically any threat) in the case of an emergency. For Skar and the likes, you can taunt them to prevent them from setting up. The force-switch will net you one layer of Spikes. Ice Beam is there if any faster Poke Taunted you, and a very good STAB anyway. It's basically a suicide lead; she may not even have the chance to set up anything, but Taunt -> Destiny Bond is definitly cool and unexpected.

Man, I did a lot of stupid dicisions in our match. Problem is mainly because of the lack of any synergy in my team. They don't compliment one another, rather, every 2 or 3 work alone.

Heracross was a real surprise. I said "fuck" upon seing him :lol and I fucking hate Blissey as much as she helps. If it wasn't for her I would have lost against 645 (and I lost twice to a friend because of fucking Blissey -_-).

We need a mtach soon!

Echoes said:
Man, I did a lot of stupid dicisions in our match. Problem is mainly because of the lack of any synergy in my team. They don't compliment one another, rather, every 2 or 3 work alone.
This is defintely my problem as well then thinking up teams. It almost seems impossible to create a team that works together really well, yet still got all the threats covered.

Closing in on Palmer 2 again... Man I'm not looking forward to Focus Sash Heatran, but all on my team has super effective stab moves against it so it's ok. I'm also worried that Regigigiassass is gonna screw me over with Bright Powder and I have never fought against one(Regiassass) before so I'm kinda scared that he's gonna fuck things up. Will Lucario be able to take him out in one Close Combat. And then there's fucking Cresselia, I hope that it'll only take two Crunch attacks to take her out, but I'm probably wrong...

GOD.DAMNIT!

Lost two battles before Palmer2... again! Blaarfabbleflarrghleboom!

A Magnezone pretty much wiped out my team. I switched from Starmie into Garchomp and negated the electric attack. Earthquake... can't hit. WHAT?! The Magnezone didn't use Magnet Rise and it doesn't have the levitate ability either, the fuck? So I get one outrage hit before Garchomp goes down. Ok Lucario take him out with Close Combat. Close Combat misses... WHAT!? But Close Combat has 100% accuracy... I don't understand this... I can't remember wether Lucario or Starmie killed it off, but it ended with Ursaring killing Starmie with a critical hit. Damn it!

Echoes

I'm in the tower now and yeah, things are scary for me. I just encountered a freaking set.

Lapras, sings into Snorlax, Perish Song, then switch into Salamence to prevent her death. Sweet. Luckily I switched into Starmie and OHKO Salamence with Ice Beam.

You know what stroke fear into my poor heart?

"Lapras uses Sheer Cold"

Holy fucking shit, I was so close to being doomed :lol Luckily! it missed 4 times. If it hit Garchomp (Starmie got killed by a Scarfed Tyranitar locked into ThunderPunch) I would have lost, since Snorlax is sleeping.

Echoes

Metroid Killer said:
GOD.DAMNIT!

Lost two battles before Palmer2... again! Blaarfabbleflarrghleboom!

A Magnezone pretty much wiped out my team. I switched from Starmie into Garchomp and negated the electric attack. Earthquake... can't hit. WHAT?! The Magnezone didn't use Magnet Rise and it doesn't have the levitate ability either, the fuck? So I get one outrage hit before Garchomp goes down. Ok Lucario take him out with Close Combat. Close Combat misses... WHAT!? But Close Combat has 100% accuracy... I don't understand this... I can't remember wether Lucario or Starmie killed it off, but it ended with Ursaring killing Starmie with a critical hit. Damn it!
It is here that I say WELCOME TO THE SHITTINESS OF THE BATTLE TOWER!

Fuck man. I feel you. I'm coming down right behind ya -_- I just know it.

Metroid Killer said:
Everytime the opponment uses a OHKO move I have to change my pants afterwards...
Admittedly I don't know anything about choosing an effective team for the Battle Tower, but if OHKO moves are a major problem in every fight couldn't you just use a Pokemon that has the Sturdy ability?

Azure Phoenix said:
Admittedly I don't know anything about choosing an effective team for the Battle Tower, but if OHKO moves are a major problem in every fight couldn't you just use a Pokemon that has the Sturdy ability?
They are not a major problem per se, but they just hurt a lot once they hit(which is a lot in the Tower considered their accuracy), and unfortunately I don't see the pay-off from sturdy to be good enough from the list of pokemon with the ability.

upandaway

Metroid Killer said:
They are not a major problem per se, but they just hurt a lot once they hit(which is a lot in the Tower considered their accuracy), and unfortunately I don't see the pay-off from sturdy to be good enough from the list of pokemon with the ability.
Well there's also Damp, and Shedinja is immune to all OHKO moves.

Edit: Aw fuck, Damp is something else.

Echoes

Holy fucking piece of cracking shit. I was going to lose at match 6. MATCH SIX! One match before Palmer! I have no idea how I survived.

Saved my game. I'm afraid to battle Palmer2. Fuck. I hope he doesn't lead with Heatran as that means instant KO for Lucario. Fuck.

Edit: HEATRAN FUCK! Edit: MAGMA STORM MISS OMG I'M LUCKY T_T

HOLY SHIT I WON!!!! T__________T

Echoes

Sixfortyfive, I had to delete our battle to save Palmer2's defeat (at work so couldn't upload it anyway), if you still have it upload it please so we don't lose the awesome 1-hour match :lol

FUCK YOU PALMER I TOOK MY REVENGE YOU FUCKING PIECE OF BROKEN SHIT!

Battle goes out like this:

Lucario uses Close Combat
Heatran hung on its Focus Sash
Heatran uses Magma Storm, misses!
Lucario uses Extremespeed, Heatran down
-
Lucario uses Close Combat, Regigigas survives with minimal HP
Regigigas uses Earthquake (I think), Lucario hung on its Focus Sash
Lucario uses Extremespeed, Regigigas down
-
(here comes the pain)
Lucario uses Crunch, deals about 1/3 (the bitch is holding Leftovers)
Cresselia uses Psychic, Lucario down
Garchomp uses Crunch, another 1/3, about 1/3 is there
Cresselia uses Ice Beam, Yache Berry lessens the damage, Garchomp survives
Garchomp uses Crunch, SHE SURVIVES WITH 1 FUCKING HP WTF. I was basically RAGING FROM THE INSIDE because a Moonlight will ruin EVERYTHING
The stupid Cresselia uses Psychic! OMG THANK YOU LORD FOR MAKING THE BITCH FORGET ABOUT HER OTHER MOVES!
Starmie uses Surf, the fucking cunt is down

I WON YOU FUCKING BLONDE SISSYMAN.

Echoes said:
Battle goes out like this:
Hmm I wonder what would have happened if Heatran did hit with the Magma Storm, then Lucario would have fallen to Regigiass, Garchomp taking what's left of Regigiass and the Cresselia... Man it pretty much boils down to wether it decides to use moonlight or not :(

Echoes

Metroid Killer said:
Hmm I wonder what would have happened if Heatran did hit with the Magma Storm, then Lucario would have fallen to Regigiass, Garchomp taking what's left of Regigiass and the Cresselia... Man it pretty much boils down to wether it decides to use moonlight or not :(
No... Heatran would kill Lucario -_- Magma Storm will get him to 1 HP. Then, just like Fire Spin, it hits at the turn's end as well. Yes! They're fucking with us!

Echoes said:
FUCK YOU PALMER I TOOK MY REVENGE YOU FUCKING PIECE OF BROKEN SHIT!

This is glorious. That cheating asshole needed to be taken down a peg. I've only ever face his first team, but him freezing my Milotic with his and having the freeze last for eight goddamn turns has filled me with nothing but rage.

Echoes said:
No... Heatran would kill Lucario -_- Magma Storm will get him to 1 HP. Then, just like Fire Spin, it hits at the turn's end as well. Yes! They're fucking with us!
-_- so in order to win, you pretty much have to be lucky that the Magma Storm misses and that Cresselia doesn't use Moonlight...

Oh well, it is fun to plow through the other matches, countering at the right times and having luck on your side. And all the BP doesn't hurt either.

pix

Just got the 7th badge last night.

My team is
Quilava 29
Ampharos 35
Machamp 39
Noctowl 24
Tegetic 33
HM slave

Can anyone recommend me a good team or modifications i should make soon as I am getting close to the elite four. I don't mind going out of ym way to catch some stuff.

Echoes

MK, I'm thinking about it and I think we can replace Starmie or Lucario (just for Palmer2 round) with either Scizor or Weavile. A STAB Bug Bite (Scizor) or Night Slash (Weavile) will make Cresslia weeps for her life. The strategy is to send them against her solely, so they set up with Swords Dance and then kaboom.
pix said:
Just got the 7th badge last night.

My team is
Quilava 29
Ampharos 35
Machamp 39
Noctowl 24
Tegetic 33
HM slave

Can anyone recommend me a good team or modifications i should make soon as I am getting close to the elite four. I don't mind going out of ym way to catch some stuff.
I think (not sure) I have a Sneasel egg (with Pursuit). I highly recommend Weavile for the E4 as Ice Punch will make short use of half of Lance's pokes. I'll even throw in his Evolution item, I amassed a lot of Battle Points and can afford the item easily. Weavile in general is a freaking awesome Pokemon. All you have to do is wait for me till I finish work (4 more hours or so).

matrix-cat said:
This is glorious. That cheating asshole needed to be taken down a peg. I've only ever face his first team, but him freezing my Milotic with his and having the freeze last for eight goddamn turns has filled me with nothing but rage.
Starmie, man. She's a godsend. Surf takes Rhyperior in one hit, Ice Beam takes Dragonite in one hit, and Thunderbolt takes 2 to 3 hits to kill Milotic.

Echoes said:
MK, I'm thinking about it and I think we can replace Starmie or Lucario (just for Palmer2 round) with either Scizor or Weavile. A STAB Bug Bite (Scizor) or Night Slash (Weavile) will make Cresslia weeps for her life. The strategy is to send them against her solely, so they set up with Swords Dance and then kaboom.
Hmm yeah I defintely need something that counters Cresselie more than the current team, but I'm kinda afraid to remove Lucario as he can take out 2 and a half pokemon like you did. And Starmie is the best pokemon against all the other random pokemon you are gonna face before Palmer. I don't want to remove Garchomp either :(
Echoes said:
Starmie, man. She's a godsend. Surf takes Rhyperior in one hit, Ice Beam takes Dragonite in one hit, and Thunderbolt takes 2 to 3 hits to kill Milotic.
Yeah now I pretty much always take out Palmer1's entire team out with Starmie (except when Rhyperior's Choice Bans kicks in -_-)

Edit: There just wrecked Palmer1 with Starmie again... felt fucking good!

Dechaios said:
So any idea when gaf may be having another Poke tournament down the line?
I'd hope we get another one soon.

I only got into EV training and strategies a couple of weeks before the tournament date.

There is just way too much to cover.
:lol

DarkKyo

SolarPowered said:
I'd hope we get another one soon.

I only got into EV training and strategies a couple of weeks before the tournament date.

There is just way too much to cover.
:lol
Yeah I know what you mean. I'm not even done with the game yet but I want to ballpark a date to be ready by. Still gotta learn EV training as well.

Also did you ever find out how people upload clean battle vids?

pix

Echoes said:
I think (not sure) I have a Sneasel egg (with Pursuit). I highly recommend Weavile for the E4 as Ice Punch will make short use of half of Lance's pokes. I'll even throw in his Evolution item, I amassed a lot of Battle Points and can afford the item easily. Weavile in general is a freaking awesome Pokemon. All you have to do is wait for me till I finish work (4 more hours or so).

I dont get off work until 4:30 EST. Also I need to enable wireless on my router for Wifi, havent done so yet but it shouldnt take me too long. Ill PM you later if you are around, great.

I just looked at the stats I jotted down for starmie before the battle ended.

Turns out that I EV trained it perfectly on my first try. Too bad it was useless though.

:I

Echoes

Andrex said:
Whoever gave me the Sneasel, can you... remind me what was special about it? :lol
31 IV in Attack and Speed. Has Pursuit (egg move). Pursuit is convinient for revenge killing; you throw a Weavile against a Psychic pokemon and he will switch to another Pokemon. Pursuit damage is doubled when the opponent is switched out (it hits before switching) and with Weavile's typing; you pretty much got yourself a free KO.

Oh, and with one Swords Dance, Weavile takes out Salamence in one hit with Ice Shard. Not Punch; Shard. The 40-powered priority move. Yeah, pretty awesome I'd say.

Hmmm I'm thinking Gengar with Destiny Bond to take out Cresselia...

And Echoes if it's not too much trouble to ask for a Jolly Ice Shard Weavile would be great (alternative to Gengar)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Echoes said:
31 IV in Attack and Speed. Has Pursuit (egg move). Pursuit is convinient for revenge killing; you throw a Weavile against a Psychic pokemon and he will switch to another Pokemon. Pursuit damage is doubled when the opponent is switched out (it hits before switching) and with Weavile's typing; you pretty much got yourself a free KO.

Oh, and with one Swords Dance, Weavile takes out Salamence in one hit with Ice Shard. Not Punch; Shard. The 40-powered priority move. Yeah, pretty awesome I'd say.

I remember looking at the Nature and finding it wasn't optimal...

Top Bottom