• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Axis

they've all hatched so i'm getting back online now! i like how i'm hatching exactly one of the things i sent you lol

Axis said:
they've all hatched so i'm getting back online now! i like how i'm hatching exactly one of the things i sent you lol
Yeah and the one you sent me was even the nature I wanted. Cool, anyway I'm waiting for dusknoir to lay an egg which is taking some time for some reason...

Axis

Metroid Killer said:
Yeah and the one you sent me was even the nature I wanted. Cool, anyway I'm waiting for dusknoir to lay an egg which is taking some time for some reason...

all good! if you want a male with those moves(if those are the moves you wanted) just let me know

also, all 4 of yours hatched with that nature lol

Axis

Metroid Killer said:
Ok getting online now, sorry for the wait!

thanks, man. you're single handedly filling my dex lol

edit: question for sixfortyfive or whoever would know. is there a way to get the desired hidden power when breeding?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Axis said:
edit: question for sixfortyfive or whoever would know. is there a way to get the desired hidden power when breeding?
http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/hidden_power
http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52180

RNG abuse is the only reliable way. The learning curve for getting the hang of it is kind of absurd, but after that initial hurdle, it takes less time to capture perfect Pokemon than it would take to breed halfway decent ones the "normal" way.

Yes, this is the easiest way. And it's waaaaay into OCD min/maxing territory.

Axis

Sixfortyfive said:

RNG abuse is the only reliable way. The learning curve for getting the hang of it is kind of absurd, but after that initial hurdle, it takes less time to capture perfect Pokemon than it would take to breed halfway decent ones the "normal" way.

judging from this response

...i won't be getting the hidden power i want

Sixfortyfive

I still die a little inside every time I see Hidden Power used as a crux of a Pokemon's analysis, honestly.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SovanJedi said:
So for some reason even though I already have a Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Ho-Oh and Lugia in Pearl there's some strange urge to go through the turmoil of catching them all over again in HeartGold. My god was Ho-Oh's music good. :D

You can catch those five in Pearl?

Morokh

I need help to check if my theory is correct xD

Let's suppose I take a Gastly and a Dusclops to breed a male Gastly with Will-o-wisp.

If i learn this Gastly TM24 Thunderbolt and make him breed with a female Koffing, that should give me a baby Koffing with both attacks right ?

Not really sure about the TM going to the baby here xD

Morokh said:
If i learn this Gastly TM24 Thunderbolt and make him breed with a female Koffing, that should give me a baby Koffing with both attacks right ?

Not really sure about the TM going to the baby here xD

From my experience it should do, if the Pokemon you will end up with can learn Thunderbolt by TM itself and Will-O-Wisp is a legitimate egg move for Koffing then it will pass those two on. Just be careful that you put Will-O-Wisp and Thunderbolt in move slot 3 and 4 when putting the Gastly in the day care, otherwise there is a chance it will overwrite those moves with standard Gastly level up moves.

OMG Aero

So I went on SoulSilver a few minutes to collect a trade I had done on the GTS and, having a look at what I could do today in the game, decided to try and catch some Hoenn Pokemon (Mainly an Absol) at Mt Silver because of the Hoenn radio channel today. I encountered a few Pokemon like Linoone and Whismur which I accidentally killed when all of a sudden this guy appears:

2qb6o9k.jpg

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Rokam

New Pokecourse available through Wifi tomorrow.

Winner's Path:

Bronzor: Tackle, Confusion, Trick Room
Magikarp: Splash, Bounce
Duskull: Leer, Night Shade, Imprison
Horsea: Bubble, Smokescreen, Muddy Water
Munchlax: Metronome, Tackle, Defense Curl, Selfdestruct
Beldum: Take Down, Iron Head, Zen Headbutt, Iron Defense

Negator

More notable are the items that come with the route:

Leftovers from Munchlax
Evolutionary items from Horsea and Duskull, and Choice Band, Choice Scarf, Choice Specs, and Focus Sash as rare items.

Unicorn

Sixfortyfive said:

Borderline cheating, imo.

a very fine line at that.

glennw

Neo Member
Rokam said:
New Pokecourse available through Wifi tomorrow.

Winner's Path:

Bronzor: Tackle, Confusion, Trick Room
Magikarp: Splash, Bounce
Duskull: Leer, Night Shade, Imprison
Horsea: Bubble, Smokescreen, Muddy Water
Munchlax: Metronome, Tackle, Defense Curl, Selfdestruct
Beldum: Take Down, Iron Head, Zen Headbutt, Iron Defense

WOOT! I can finally get my first munchlax! (I hope) I could never catch one in Pearl :(

I am very excited...also a chance to get some leftovers!

Forkball

The Pokewalker WiFi update came out of nowhere. I'm still sad that I never got my Volt Tackle/Surf/Flying Pikachu. At least these guys seem a bit easier to get.

glennw

Neo Member
Forkball said:
The Pokewalker WiFi update came out of nowhere. I'm still sad that I never got my Volt Tackle/Surf/Flying Pikachu. At least these guys seem a bit easier to get.

I think munchlax is just as Rare. The yellow forest doesnt dissapear though so you can still get your pikachus :) (if you have the route on your DS).

Finally got my flying and surfing guys :D Had to breed a volt tackle one though.

Unicorn

Firestorm said:
Oh please :lol
I'm glad I don't seriously fight pokeGAF.

There should be separate lists for players.

those that know nothing of IV/EV and worry about natures, maybe.

those that nature breed and EV train, but don't bother with IV's

those that will level up and notice a poke with nice IV's and everstone to breed on top of EV and nature training

Those that RNG abuse.

Pokesav.

Mush

Unicorn said:
I'm glad I don't seriously fight pokeGAF.

There should be separate lists for players.

those that know nothing of IV/EV and worry about natures, maybe.

those that nature breed and EV train, but don't bother with IV's

those that will level up and notice a poke with nice IV's and everstone to breed on top of EV and nature training

Those that RNG abuse.

Pokesav.
My name is Mush, and I approve of this message.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hrm, I draw the line at using tools. If you follow a guide online to get the RNG just right that's OK, but if you use a program to do it that's probably what I would call cheating, or borderline cheating...

Any type of hacking the game is definitely cheating, but RNG is exploiting the game's engine in ways not intended. With HG/SS, IVs and EVs have been recognized legitimately by GameFreak. But RNG? Still too gray.

Sixfortyfive said:

I remember breeding for Hidden Power before learning to RNG. :lol

Somnid

Firestorm said:
By those who obviously have never programmed something in their life and can't understand that "RNG Abuse" is perfectly normal.

It's about as normal as hitting the suspend button on a cable modem to gain an edge in multi-player. While it's true computers can only generate pseudo-random numbers the programmer tries to obfuscate this as much as possible. Pokemon is one of those interesting cases where people are crazy enough to decompile the code to expose this.

If you could seed the number such that you could ensure perfect accuracy / critical hits or misses from the opponent you'd say that was a legit match?

Mush

TheVampire said:
The thing you clip onto your belt or put in your pocket?
Im new to pokemon so how could that catch a wild one?
You can't catch a wild Skitty in HG/SS, only via Pokewalker. Or you could just get a Gaffer to give you one.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
This might be asking for a lot, but I was wondering if anyone had a spare Soul Dew they could give me? It would really help me out in the battle tower and I don't think there is any other way for me to get it other than to ask for one and hope for the best.

My FC is - 2708 4324 5017 - if anyone can help.

Firestorm

Somnid said:
It's about as normal as hitting the suspend button on a cable modem to gain an edge in multi-player. While it's true computers can only generate pseudo-random numbers the programmer tries to obfuscate this as much as possible. Pokemon is one of those interesting cases where people are crazy enough to decompile the code to expose this.

If you could seed the number such that you could ensure perfect accuracy / critical hits or misses from the opponent you'd say that was a legit match?
If one player wanted to count at what time to attack (within the time limit allotted per turn), that's their business. The other side can do the same. I don't see it as the same as hitting the suspend button as in that case you are disrupting the game and putting a stop to it.

Personally, I feel IVs shouldn't exist and that EVs should be easily distributable so you can customize your Pokemon to be unique without as much effort (lol puns).

Sixfortyfive

I'll be around for some battles for a while.

Somnid said:
Yeah. It would suck the fun out of the game and probably turn me off of it completely if it was relatively easy to do, but it's a far cry from "cheating."

The responsibility rests upon Game Freak to make a balanced and enjoyable game. If they can't, it's their fault and theirs alone so long as devices external to the game/system aren't part of the equation. When you have a game as popular as this you should expect it to eventually be exploited and cracked to the extreme, so you should make sure that situations like that are as unfeasible as possible (as in, requiring precision timing to 1/60th of a second to get desired results, which is too hard for most mortals to fathom).

See also Firestorm's response.

upandaway

Sixfortyfive said:
The responsibility rests upon Game Freak to make a balanced and enjoyable game.
Pokemon are still banned and split into tiers though, that's clearly the fans' attempt to balance out the game in Gamefreak's place.

cory said:
Yeah, what if you got blank EVs for every battle and got to assign them at level up. That would be amazing.
If by amazing you mean horrible.

Sixfortyfive

upandaway said:
If by amazing you mean horrible.
I thought pretty much everyone agrees that being able to pick and choose and see how your EVs are allotted (at least to some greater degree than what we have now) would be a tremendous improvement.

Alright guys, I decided I'm going to try and create the best possible Togetic as a project, but I really need some ideas and suggestions for the moveset. I'll be doing the full works with IVs, EVs and nature so nothing is off limits.

So far my main thought has been a Togekiss style flinch abuser, it doesn't have Air Slash but Headbutt has exactly the same flinch rate. Obviously though Togetic has atrocious Attack, but if I were to put everything into Attack it would be about 200 at level 100. Aside from that it has good defences and can use Roost so I had considered making it into a tank, or possibly making use of Baton Pass and supporting the rest of the team with Wish and such.

Anyway, any ideas whatsoever are very welcome, I need all the help I can get with this project.

Forkball

I beat the Elite 4 last night. I forgot how weak they are compared to the other E4 teams (although they are probably the coolest). My team was Feraligatr, Alakazam, Gengar, Ampharos, Arcanine, and Dragonair. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, although Lance went a bit crazy on the Full Restores with his Gyarados. I managed to curse it with Gengar so it wasn't as annoying. Now it's time to trek through Kanto for the, what, seventh time? Have I seriously bought seven games with Kanto in it? Bravo, Nintendo.

beje

Banned
I just had an idea for a team that's going to make you shit your pants when you see it. Just wait some days :lol

BTW, after being replaying Emerald, DS Pokémon feels sluggish and slow as hell.

Edit: luvdisc swarm, fuck yeah!

Echoes

Azure Phoenix said:
Alright guys, I decided I'm going to try and create the best possible Togetic as a project, but I really need some ideas and suggestions for the moveset. I'll be doing the full works with IVs, EVs and nature so nothing is off limits.

So far my main thought has been a Togekiss style flinch abuser, it doesn't have Air Slash but Headbutt has exactly the same flinch rate. Obviously though Togetic has atrocious Attack, but if I were to put everything into Attack it would be about 200 at level 100. Aside from that it has good defences and can use Roost so I had considered making it into a tank, or possibly making use of Baton Pass and supporting the rest of the team with Wish and such.

Anyway, any ideas whatsoever are very welcome, I need all the help I can get with this project.
Sorry, but Togetic sucks :p

Togekiss? F yeah. But Togepi/tic are just plain EW.

Firestorm, it's not that I'm writing off Smogon (best fucking site ever, and not blocked at work! Unlike Serebii/Bulba), but I was extremely frustrated at the comment as it had zero info. I'm not popular here in GAF and yet no body questioned me about my unusual luck in just about everything in the game, especially shiny pokes. I just hate it when someone even wave the word "lie" to my face. It's not cool.

I'm probably going with Choice Band Garchomp for the Hall. Yache isn't that good considering the awesome hax that is called "freeze". I used to run with Yache for Water/Ice/Dark and then change it with CBand but now I'm fully going with CB. Very few can stand a Choice Banded STAB Outrage.

Echoes said:
Sorry, but Togetic sucks :p

Togekiss? F yeah. But Togepi/tic are just plain EW.
I'm well aware that Togetic is terrible but no Pokemon is beyond useable, as proved by the Youtube video of a single Magikarp defeating Red.

I'm looking for a moveset to make the best use of what it has to offer, even if has very little going in it's favour.

Echoes

Seeing that it has crappy speed, how about let her hold Iron Ball? It will cut her speed in half, while nullifying its flying abilities (I guess?). This will net you a free turn where the opponent will change for a Thunderbolt-wielder while you, for example, Thunder Wave/Toxic it. Aside from Toxic and TW, Trick is a very cool move as it will trick the Iron Ball to, say, Gyarados, cutting his speed andstopping the sweep. Water Pulse (20% -now 40%- chance to confuse) and Tri Attack (now 40% chance to burn/para/freeze) are the best attacking moves for her IMO. Yawn is awesome as well.

Now that is sneaky, certainly something I'd have never thought of. The only drawback with that set I can't get Tri Attack for it since it's exclusive to the Pokemon XD Togepi and that game is very expensive second hand.

Still open to any other ideas, I want to make sure this is perfect before I proceed.

Mush said:
You can't catch a wild Skitty in HG/SS, only via Pokewalker. Or you could just get a Gaffer to give you one.

Why is that?
I thought you could only not catch Legendary pokemon.
Skitty isnt Legendary.

I must have SKITTY!!
skitty.jpg

Sixfortyfive

I'll be around for battles tonight if anyone's available.

Just got another idea for a new team. Need to start working on it.

mCACGj

Soooo it occurred to me that there are tides at Lake Rage. Searching online found no real way of telling when high and low tides are, so when are each respectively? Does it work like tides in real life? That would be pretty cool, but something tells me that's not it.

Top Bottom