• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

SaintZ

mCACGj said:
Soooo it occurred to me that there are tides at Lake Rage. Searching online found no real way of telling when high and low tides are, so when are each respectively? Does it work like tides in real life? That would be pretty cool, but something tells me that's not it.
Well, I went on Saturday morning to get Pryce's number and there was a high tide. I think it has to be raining but I don't know if thats random or if it happens certain days a week.

Hex said:
Anyone have a Snorunt or Froslass to dump?
I've got a couple of Snorunt(fem/male).

Fake Edit:
After dozens of failed and misshapen experiments I've created my very first "outstanding" high IV pokemon. It's an absolute monster in my opinion and I can't wait to put it to the test.

I've still got to rebuild over a handful of pokemon of "outstanding" quality so I can't imagine that I'll be battling or very active in the thread until then.
TheVampire said:
Why is that?
I thought you could only not catch Legendary pokemon.
Skitty isnt Legendary.

I must have SKITTY!!
skitty.jpg
Some pokemon are only available in the partner version of the game such as vulpix who is exclusive to soul silver and impossible to find in Heart gold.

I've seen massive amounts of skitty in my platinum game, but I don't remember at what time I saw them and why they appeared. I haven't had any luck finding any new ones unfortunately.

cory

Banned
I'm home from college now, but I forgot the password for my router so I can't switch modes when I want to play DS. I'll figure it out eventually.

Hex

Banned
SolarPowered said:
I've got a couple of Snorunt(fem/male).

Any one would be awesome, I can experiment with breeding.
I will give you a Nincada that I have been experimenting with

Hex said:
Any one would be awesome, I can experiment with breeding.
I will give you a Nincada that I have been experimenting with
You wouldn't happen to have any extra vibrava or trapinch lying around would you?

If not then I'll gladly take the nincada off your hands.

My platinum FC: 0646 8089 9860
cory said:
I'm home from college now, but I forgot the password for my router so I can't switch modes when I want to play DS. I'll figure it out eventually.
Reset the router and set up a new WEP profile. You could do that in five minutes.

Hex

Banned
SolarPowered said:
You wouldn't happen to have any extra vibrava or trapinch lying around would you?

I wish I did

0475 0119 1993

Jet Grind Radio! said:
And, I think I'm done with HGSS. It was a great 130 hours, but sadly I'm just bored. I'm still half-thinking about getting a DSi so I can replay Pearl.
I've got pokemon leafgreen sitting here, but I haven't even touched it since I keep discovering something new about gen IV competitive battling.

I just stumbled onto IV breeding and it's maddening to say the least...

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Forceatowulf said:
This might be asking for a lot, but I was wondering if anyone had a spare Soul Dew they could give me? It would really help me out in the battle tower and I don't think there is any other way for me to get it other than to ask for one and hope for the best.

My FC is - 2708 4324 5017 - if anyone can help.
Anyone? =/

cory

Banned
SolarPowered said:

Reset the router and set up a new WEP profile. You could do that in five minutes.
Okay thanks. I didn't realize until after I hit reset that I don't have a password XD.
I still have a problem, halfway through the connection test the signal goes from full to none.
Edit: Nevermind.
Friend Code: 2837 3104 7002

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Forceatowulf said:
Anyone? =/
The only way to obtain Soul Dew outside of special events is from Pokemon Battle Revolution, and it's one of the most expensive items in that game. I'd volunteer to get one for you, but I don't really feel like grinding points anytime soon.

Best to wait for the HGSS Latios/Latias wi-fi event, I think.

Hex said:
Very cool, thank you.
Trying to make a ghost group for the next monotype tourney thing
No problemo.

I got a nincada out of it so it's all good. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with the thing though.
:lol
cory said:
Okay thanks. I didn't realize until after I hit reset that I don't have a password XD.
I still have a problem, halfway through the connection test the signal goes from full to none.
Edit: Nevermind.
Friend Code: 2837 3104 7002
Glad I could help.

My FC is above so I'll just input yours into my pal pad.

E4 was pretty easy with 6 Lvl 40-ish Pokes, but Lance was a slog. Used all my Max Revives and most of my Revives to take down his Dragonites. I was like "yay" when I finally took down his Lvl 50 one and then he sends out two more Lvl 49's with high-accuracy Dragon Rush.

Lone_Prodigy said:
E4 was pretty easy with 6 Lvl 40-ish Pokes, but Lance was a slog. Used all my Max Revives and most of my Revives to take down his Dragonites. I was like "yay" when I finally took down his Lvl 50 one and then he sends out two more Lvl 49's with high-accuracy Dragon Rush.
Gyarados with Dragon dance/waterfall/ice fang is your best friend.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Aww jeeze, I hadn't even realized how many Qualot and Tamato berries I had on my Pearl cart.

Does anyone else have a set schedule for every day? Mine is something like:

1. @ 12 AM: Check Mary and Oak for swarms
  2. @ 12 AM: Check lottery ticket
  3. @ 2 AM: Check Buena's Password and collect point
  4. Collect daily seals
  5. Collect the three apricorns around Azalea Town
  6. Collect Pokeballs from Kurt and give him more apricorns
  7. If Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday, win Bug Catching Contest

It's kinda become an obsession. If you stop playing for even a week or two you really miss out on a lot.

Sixfortyfive

The only daily event I make sure to take care of regularly is the radio tower lottery. Otherwise, I usually just try to abuse the clock to get various daily events completed for good.

For example, there's that old man west of Celadon who teaches you a new "trendy saying" once per day until you've obtained them all. Instead of visiting once per day, I'll just set the clock to 23:59, let the day roll over, get my new vocab phrase, save, and repeat until he's run out of words to teach me. I did the same thing with Buena's Password until she gave me her phone number, the Arceus plates from the SS Aqua captian until he gave me all of them, and probably a few other things that I've forgotten about.

Andrex said:
Aww jeeze, I hadn't even realized how many Qualot and Tamato berries I had on my Pearl cart.

Does anyone else have a set schedule for every day? Mine is something like:

1. @ 12 AM: Check Mary and Oak for swarms
  2. @ 12 AM: Check lottery ticket
  3. @ 2 AM: Check Buena's password
  4. Collect daily seals
  5. Collect the three apricorns around Azalea Town
  6. Collect Pokeballs from Kurt and give him more apricorns
  7. If Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday, win Bug Catching Contest

It's kinda become an obsession.
I had something like that going on.
7am plant four berry bushes for all the EV reducing berries throughout sinnoh
7:30am meet the ribbon lady for new ribbons
8am Beat the E4 for cash and to level up pokes for EV training
9am check the newspaper guy so that I can get extra heartscales

I've been like this for a while, but I've significantly slowed things down now that I have lots of heartscales, have over 50 EV reducing berries of each type and I've gotten over 100 of every store item/pokeball/royal/gorgeous ribbons.

Fake edit:
I haven't seen you online at all cory. I'd like to battle so that I can focus on other things for the night.
:p
Edit:
The hell?

I put your FC in my pad and I was waiting around for like half an hour. I come out thinking that something must have gone horribly wrong and I don't see your name.

DAMMIT NINTENDO GET RID OF FRIEND CODES!

sorry cory

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah I'll probably slow down in a month or so.

Sixfortyfive said:
The only daily event I make sure to take care of regularly is the radio tower lottery. Otherwise, I usually just try to abuse the clock to get various daily events completed for good.

For example, there's that old man west of Celadon who teaches you a new "trendy saying" once per day until you've obtained them all. Instead of visiting once per day, I'll just set the clock to 23:59, let the day roll over, get my new vocab phrase, save, and repeat until he's run out of words to teach me. I did the same thing with Buena's Password until she gave me her phone number, the Arceus plates from the SS Aqua captian until he gave me all of them, and probably a few other things that I've forgotten about.

Arceus Plates? Those are in the game?

Also I hate touching the clock for any game. Must have been my Animal Crossing experiences...

Sixfortyfive

After taking the SS Aqua to Vermilion the first time, the captain will give you one plate for each subsequent trip. After he gives you all of them he'll just give you a Nugget each time.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sixfortyfive said:
After taking the SS Aqua to Vermilion the first time, the captain will give you one plate for each subsequent trip. After he gives you all of them he'll just give you a Nugget each time.

Ooh neat. Even though those plates are next to worthless...

Zomo

Hmm ok guys i'm pretty new to the whole IV breeding and EV training... By new i mean i just finished reading a few guides. What level do you guys recommend as a starting point for EV training?

Sixfortyfive

Zomo said:
Hmm ok guys i'm pretty new to the whole IV breeding and EV training... By new i mean i just finished reading a few guides. What level do you guys recommend as a starting point for EV training?
Level? If you mean the level of the Pokemon you're training, it should be done as soon as possible (right after hatching/capturing it).

Zomo

Sixfortyfive said:
Level? If you mean the level of the Pokemon you're training, it should be done as soon as possible (right after hatching/capturing it).

Yeah thats what i meant, thanks.

SixFortyFive has actually written a small, but easy to understand, guide on EVs and orther stuff for competetive Pokemon (go to post 2)

As he said you want to EV train your pokemon before any battles whatsoever.
Consider your Pokemon a blank canvas when hatching, and every time you defeat another pokemon you get paint on the canvas. Since there are so many different types of pokemon, if you just battle randomly the picture gets rather messy. Which is why with EV training you paint a better painting that works in unison(increasing the stats that matters).

/pokemon analogy for today

Zomo

Metroid Killer said:
SixFortyFive has actually written a small, but easy to understand, guide on EVs and orther stuff for competetive Pokemon (go to post 2)

As he said you want to EV train your pokemon before any battles whatsoever.
Consider your Pokemon a blank canvas when hatching, and every time you defeat another pokemon you get paint on the canvas. Since there are so many different types of pokemon, if you just battle randomly the picture gets rather messy. Which is why with EV training you paint a better painting that works in unison(increasing the stats that matters).

/pokemon analogy for today

Yeah it was really confusing but i think i'm understanding it now. Good analogy btw :lol

srenity

Neo Member
Is there any evidence on how my Pokemon got a Pokerus?

I got it randomly on an egg that was whored out by my Ditto. At first, I was freaking out because I thought it was like... Pokemon AIDS :lol

Serebii.net says that after the Pokerus is gone, there's a dot on the Pokemon status screen. Does that mean it's immune to it so it won't get the virus anymore?

[edit] Never mind on the last question, got the answer from the Custom Search.

SolarPowered said:
Some pokemon are only available in the partner version of the game such as vulpix who is exclusive to soul silver and impossible to find in Heart gold.

I've seen massive amounts of skitty in my platinum game, but I don't remember at what time I saw them and why they appeared. I haven't had any luck finding any new ones unfortunately.

So Skitty isnt in Heartgold or SoulSilver to be captured randomly in a battle?

Sixfortyfive

160 hours into the game and only now did I finally bother to play the Pokeathlon and beat all 10 event records. Trainer card upgrade get.

To-do list:
- 100-win Battle Tower streak
- catch 'em all

Need to make a good BT Trick lead. It's been a long time, Palmer.

TheVampire said:
DPPt - Route 222 Swarm
HGSS - Hoenn Field Pokewalker Course

Zomo

TheVampire said:

HeartGold: Hoenn Field (Pokewalker route)
SoulSilver: Hoenn Field (Pokewalker route)
Diamond: Route 222 (Mass Outbreak)
Pearl: Route 222 (Mass Outbreak)
Platinum: Route 222 (Mass Outbreak)

Edit: beaten

In HGSS You can only get Skitty via the PokeWalker.

srenity said:
Is there any evidence on how my Pokemon got a Pokerus?

I got it randomly on an egg that was whored out by my Ditto. At first, I was freaking out because I thought it was like... Pokemon AIDS :lol
You forgot to put rubber on your Ditto ;-)

I thought you could only get pokerus from wild pokemon, but apparently there's a small chance of getting it on eggs.

Pokerus is in two forms:
1) When it says 'PKRS' in purple highlight on a pokemon's status screen, it is able to spread the virus to other pokemon in the party (when doing battles).
2) If you have an infected pokemon in your party overnight, the 'PKRS' will change to a smilie, and the pokemon will not be able to pass on the virus anymore.

The EV gaining affect applies in both forms though.

Sixfortyfive

So I'm filling out the Pokedex right now, and once again I'm baffled that Remoraid -> Octillery is an evolution chain. I forget about it all the time, and it always surprises me when I rediscover it. Most evolutions at least kind of resemble their base forms. This one has nothing going for it besides "water type."

EDIT: Oh come on, three Rattata swarms and one Ratticate swarm? These things are worthless in HGSS.

Zomo

Sixfortyfive said:
So I'm filling out the Pokedex right now, and once again I'm baffled that Remoraid -> Octillery is an evolution chain. I forget about it all the time, and it always surprises me when I rediscover it. Most evolutions at least kind of resemble their base forms. This one has nothing going for it besides "water type."

EDIT: Oh come on, three Rattata swarms and one Ratticate swarm? These things are worthless in HGSS.

How many in your pokedex so far?

OMG Aero

Sixfortyfive said:
Well Remoraid is meant to be a gun and Octillery is meant to be like a tank so they have that in common.

mCACGj said:
Soooo it occurred to me that there are tides at Lake Rage. Searching online found no real way of telling when high and low tides are, so when are each respectively? Does it work like tides in real life? That would be pretty cool, but something tells me that's not it.

From what I can tell, low tide is on Wednesdays, high tide is every day but Wednesday. Wesley of Wednesday stands in an area that's only accessible when the tide is low, so I'm pretty sure it's low tide all day Wednesday. There might be other times, but I'm not really sure.

And about when to do EV training, I usually do it in the mid-20s. Usually it's only newly-hatched Pokes that I EV train, so I take the parents out of the Day Care and stick the newborn in (being extra careful that I take it to the Move Deleter in Blackthorn and check its Learnset on Serebii to make sure I won't overwrite any Egg Moves I might have bred on it). Then I just pedal up and down Goldenrod as usual, hatching the other five eggs I most likely had in my party when it hatched. By the time I'm done it's usually in the 20s, so I Pokerus it up, equip the necessary Power Item and get to EV training.

I like to do it above Level 20 to make sure that whatever Pokes I'm fighting for EVs are guaranteed to be OHKOed by whatever move I'm using so I can keep track of them by looking at the PP I've used. An extra bonus is that when you can get all your EV training done without levelling up, then level up when you're done, you get to see your stats going up by 21 points or something :lol

Zomo

matrix-cat said:
From what I can tell, low tide is on Wednesdays, high tide is every day but Wednesday. Wesley of Wednesday stands in an area that's only accessible when the tide is low, so I'm pretty sure it's low tide all day Wednesday. There might be other times, but I'm not really sure.

And about when to do EV training, I usually do it in the mid-20s. Usually it's only newly-hatched Pokes that I EV train, so I take the parents out of the Day Care and stick the newborn in (being extra careful that I take it to the Move Deleter in Blackthorn and check its Learnset on Serebii to make sure I won't overwrite any Egg Moves I might have bred on it). Then I just pedal up and down Goldenrod as usual, hatching the other five eggs I most likely had in my party when it hatched. By the time I'm done it's usually in the 20s, so I Pokerus it up, equip the necessary Power Item and get to EV training.

I like to do it above Level 20 to make sure that whatever Pokes I'm fighting for EVs are guaranteed to be OHKOed by whatever move I'm using so I can keep track of them by looking at the PP I've used. An extra bonus is that when you can get all your EV training done without levelling up, then level up when you're done, you get to see your stats going up by 21 points or something :lol

Wow thats really helpful. I don't have any pokemon infected with Pokerus yet though. I'm also doing the battle tower now to get some power items, but i'm getting there :lol

jaxword

The Pokemon store is pretty amazing for you fans, it has a lot of unique items like Charizard brand Curry or Polywhirl tote bags.

Hex

Banned
SolarPowered said:
No problemo.

I got a nincada out of it so it's all good. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with the thing though.
:lol

Shedinja is fun to mess around with.
Hell, they can only be hit by super-effective moves.

bon

Sixfortyfive said:
140g1d.jpg

Top Bottom