• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

cvxfreak

Sixfortyfive said:
So I'm filling out the Pokedex right now, and once again I'm baffled that Remoraid -> Octillery is an evolution chain. I forget about it all the time, and it always surprises me when I rediscover it. Most evolutions at least kind of resemble their base forms. This one has nothing going for it besides "water type."

Bulbagarden thinks it's the same logic used for Feebas and Magikarp.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Andrex said:
Ice?

You know I'm training a flying team right? v.v I'll be on...
Not ready yet, and you don't have to use that team.

Give me like 5 more minutes to tutor some moves and I'll be there.

My grand scheme is going to backfire horribly, I think.

EDIT: Doubles match btw.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah. I have two Pokemon substituting for the two open spaces on my flying team. As well as the fact that one of my flying types is only 75% finished until I get the stuff from you...

I'm pretty sure I'm going to backfire horribly. :lol This could be the first match I've played where my opponent has EV trained, not even counting all the rest you've done.

Edit- Doubles? Aww hell.

Sixfortyfive

Sorry about the wait. Finally signing on. I think I still have your FC.

EDIT: Dammit.

Oh well, whatever. I'll get that stuff together for trading I guess.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AFAIK that disconnection wasn't me. Up for another round?

Edit- OK I'll get two junkers.

Edit2- Also you have animations on?

Edit3- If you have an Adamant or Jolly Ditto to trade with the item that'd be great. >.>

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You're a lifesaver man. I'd still be training my first competitive Pokemon if it weren't for you. Now, I'm on my fifth. Thanks always man. :D

Sixfortyfive

Kyzer said:
Okay I wanna try out my dragon team. Anyone?

0646 7987 5909
I'll play if you're still around. My FC is in the other thread if you don't have it already.

EDIT: What rules are we using?

Kyzer

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
I'll play if you're still around. My FC is in the other thread if you don't have it already.

EDIT: What rules are we using?

standard rules. same as when we did the tourney

Echoes

I'm researching for double battles, and... yeah, WOW. I know about all the near-infinite possibilities, but goddammit it's just so awesome and on a whole another level.

Will try to create some stuff.

Phoenixus

Quick question for the battlers here;

Can Heart Gold/Soul Silver connect to Battle Revolution? And can Platinum? I really want to send my 'Mons for some 3D battling (since I've spent so much time in training them up), but I've no longer got Diamond and I only know for certain that Battle Revolution connects to that.

There's a Pokemon event at the end of the month that me and a few friends are going to go to. Apparently, there's some kind of championship or something, and anybody can sign up. I'm considering entering, but I'm not sure, as I've never actually been in any kind of serious battle, and I'm not sure if I can be bothered to hurriedly IV/EV train a whole team ready for the end of the month, as I currently have nothing worthy of being used in serious battles. I also don't know much about good doubles strategies, which is what the battles are all going to be.

Anybody have any suggestions for putting together a good team quickly? Or better yet, some good IV Pokemon that work well in doubles battles that they're willing to donate for a good cause?

tim1138

Can someone explain the RNG stuff for making it easier to get Shiny eggs in the most basic forms? I'd love having a Shiny Lucario and Ursaring for myself and a Farfetch'd for my wife but just don't have the patience to hatch 8,000 eggs or whatever it normally takes.

Sixfortyfive

I can help with the above two posts, but not until late tonight. Heading out soon.

Phoenixus said:

Can Heart Gold/Soul Silver connect to Battle Revolution? And can Platinum? I really want to send my 'Mons for some 3D battling (since I've spent so much time in training them up), but I've no longer got Diamond and I only know for certain that Battle Revolution connects to that.
Platinum works with PBR. I don't think HGSS does, but I haven't tested it yet.

Is Hypnosis still a viable move now that the accuracy has been completely nerfed? I'm looking at the suggested special sweeper moveset for Ninetales on Smogon but I'm not sure about Hypnosis since it was absolutely worthless on my Gastly early in the game.

Should I go for the Hypnosis/Nasty Plot/Flamethrower/Energy Ball set they recommend, or just replace Hypnosis and Energy Ball with Will-O-Wisp and something else since I have a Bellossom to cover sleep and grass attacks? It'll just be for ingame and casual battles with a friend.

Phoenixus said:

Sixfortyfive said:
Platinum works with PBR. I don't think HGSS does, but I haven't tested it yet.
Just booted up PBR to check. You can use HGSS with PBR.

Woot caught Entei with a Quick Ball. Scyther False Swiped him, Haunter Hypnosis'ed him (difficult since he could OHKO with Flamethrower) and I just kept running into him and chucking one Quick Ball (too impatient to wait for night and Dusk Balls).

Axis

can anyone going to the VGC's(there's none anywhere near me) pick me up the event eevee as well if they have an extra game?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
All someone has to do is give me the Eevee, and I can dump it and clone it for anyone that really wants it (sure, it isn't super "legit" but it's still legal and legit).

Meanwhile: Substitute on Rotom? Also I have come to love that damn thing, esp. given that while it's "legendary" it isn't "ZOMG BAN BAN" tier for competitive battlers and seems to hold itself down in most of the story battles I've ran across so far.

"THAT DOESN'T EFFECT ROTOM!"
"ROTOM'S LEVITATE MAKES GROUND MOVES MISS!"
(Shock wave/Overheat/Ominous Wind) IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!

<3 Them being breedable. Is the "on-form change" move learning (like Overheat for the Oven form) able to redone on baby Rotoms or are you only given one chance to learn a new move for Rotom through those?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Andrex said:
Rotom's legendary?

In a fashion, yes.

There is only "one chance to catch" it in D/P/Pt, however unlike other "Legendaries" you can breed it (Manaphy being another one, but Phione doesn't evolve into a Manaphy). So it's more a "rare Pokemon." However some people classify it as a legendary so *shrug*

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm of the opinion Phione isn't legendary but Manaphy is... Rotom isn't, like Drifloon. They're kinda pseudo-legendaries I suppose.

Oh hey a Bulbapedia article. :lol Except it doesn't match what I'm saying at all! :p

Edit- But I do love Rotom. In fact I love all Pokemon with unique types. DPPt did good by introducing two new Ghost types, Rotom and Drifloon/Drifblim.

Firestorm

Firestorm said:
Putting the competitors in spoiler tags so you don't know who won when you see the second title.

VGC Seattle Semi-Finals (
Fish vs Bug Master Marc)
:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmEAcarLIQc

Amazing Battle.

VGC Seattle Finals (
Fish again vs zerowing
:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApqvIT-r7V4

Also pretty amazing.

VGC Seattle Junior Finals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjlqlkB25dY

VGC Seattle Senior Quarter-Finals (
Fish vs Bish
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvljZN-px8E

Sixfortyfive

tim1138 said:
Can someone explain the RNG stuff for making it easier to get Shiny eggs in the most basic forms? I'd love having a Shiny Lucario and Ursaring for myself and a Farfetch'd for my wife but just don't have the patience to hatch 8,000 eggs or whatever it normally takes.
http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52180

The guides in the first link are a little bit out of date. If you have Platinum, I would recommend following those guides as closely as possible just once in order to get the hang of it, then check the forum link and download Pikatimer or Emloop to make the "calibration" aspect much, much easier.

I'd offer more specifics, but I've never used RNG manipulation for shinies, just IVs/natures, and the process is different. You also need to know you secret trainer ID in order to do this for shinies, and the only easy way to do that is to trade one of your Pokemon to somebody who has an Action Replay so that they can use the AR to look at the Pokemon's data in-depth. (There are other ways to confirm the secret ID, but you need to catch random shiny Pokemon on your own to do it.)

Although RNG manipulation is pretty easy and quick once you get the hang of it, it takes a long time to learn it. You have to ask yourself if it's worth getting past that initial learning curve.

Alternatively, if all you care about are shinies (as in, the battle stats don't matter to you at all), you could try using the Poke Radar on DPPt to hunt for shinies instead. Takes more time to use, but is considerably easier. After using the radar to defeat 40 Pokemon of the same species in a row, the chance of encountering a shiny of that species is 1/200 instead of 1/8192.

MNC

Aaahhh shit I just killed Latios, but have done too much beforehand to revert to an older save :( Does it come back?

Has anybody downloaded the Winner's Path route and caught a Self-Destructing Munchlax yet? I want to try and get one, but I'm not liking the odds at all. Only 5% if you've took over 8000 steps.

glennw

Neo Member
Ben2749 said:
Has anybody downloaded the Winner's Path route and caught a Self-Destructing Munchlax yet? I want to try and get one, but I'm not liking the odds at all. Only 5% if you've took over 8000 steps.

If you use an electric Pokemon you need 25% less... I did 9,000 steps and using all the watts I caught 3 munchlax (the final one was on my last 10 watts!)

Jerrek

Neo Member
Anybody help a brother out?

I am in search of a TM for Thunder Wave and hopefully Icebeam (maybe two of them if there are multiple people willing to trade.)

I don't have much to offer in terms of pokemon. I happened on a Larvitar Swarm so I have three of those, a Beldum and a Castform to trade. I also have some items:

Lucky Egg x 5
Lightball x 2
Oval Stone x 5
Heartscale x 10
Sun Stone x2
Fire Stone x 1
Dawn Stone x 4
Shiny Stone x 5
Dusk Stone x 10
Thunder Stone x 2
Water Stone x 4
Rare Candy x 20

I know it isn't much and most of the people left in the thread are sticking around to do battles and tournaments but hopefully someone may want some of my junk. :p

Edit:

Friend codes are:

Jerrek - 5070 6990 7124 (Platinum)
Jerrek - 3052 0006 0249 (Soul Silver)

glennw said:
If you use an electric Pokemon you need 25% less... I did 9,000 steps and using all the watts I caught 3 munchlax (the final one was on my last 10 watts!)

It's not the amount of steps that concerned me; it was the odds of catching Munchlax. I got lucky though, as I got one on my fourth encounter.

I've gotten how EV training works so far and I've trained about about 6 pokemon so far.

The next step for me is to understand how IV breeding works. I've already managed to make about 3 or 4 pokemon with outstanding IV stats so far which should indicate that they have between 151-186 IV points.

If you can get a max of 31 IV points for every stat it adds up to 186 for 6 stats in total, then how exactly can you accomplish this using power items?

I'm kind of fumbling around with IV breeding and I've never seen much in depth discussion on it like EV training or pokemon strategies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SolarPowered said:
I've gotten how EV training works so far and I've trained about about 6 pokemon so far.

The next step for me is to understand how IV breeding works. I've already managed to make about 3 or 4 pokemon with outstanding IV stats so far which should indicate that they have between 151-186 IV points.

If you can get a max of 31 IV points for every stat it adds up to 186 for 6 stats in total, then how exactly can you accomplish this using power items?

I'm kind of fumbling around with IV breeding and I've never seen much in depth discussion on it like EV training or pokemon strategies.

In HeartGold and SoulSilver (and only those games) Power Items transfer down the corresponding stat's IV of one of the parent Pokemon during breeding. Knowing this, you can guarantee at most two IVs of a child Pokemon. 645 will go into greater depth than I but the easiest way to IV breed is to have an assortment of all-31 IV Dittos around for breeding. Even if not all six perfect IVs pass down, the IVs over all will be generally superior than using a non-perfect IV Ditto.

The stat to focus on seems to be speed, however. If you're trying to train a fast Pokemon, always concentrate on speed first and foremost - even a difference of one point could make a huge difference.

ngower

Just curious to HG/SS players, are you using Pokemon from the first two generations, or are you trading down from other games?

ngower said:
Just curious to HG/SS players, are you using Pokemon from the first two generations, or are you trading down from other games?
I always try to make a team out of the Pokémon available in the game that I'm playing. Also, I try to use a different team every time I play.

Soul Silver: Typhlosion, Noctowl, Dragonite, Victreebel, Golem, Lanturn
Platinum: Empoleon, Medicham, Staraptor, Gyarados, Steelix, Luxray
Emerald: Blaziken, Manectric, Swellow, Mightyena, Breloom, Gardevoir
Fire Red: Charizard, Raichu, Vileplume, Pidgeot, Dugtrio, Kingler

...I think.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ngower said:

Mix of both. During the main game I was Johto/Kanto-only, but now my team is made up of quite a few Sinnoh Pokemon. <3 Sinnoh

ngower said:

Last Pokemon game was Gold, so I'm keeping familiar Pokemon on my team.

So is this the strategy for catching Raikou/Entei? Get them to 1 HP and sleeping, go to Violet, bike between Violet and Route 32 until they're close, use the wayhouses (and Ruins of Alph) to get to them. Chuck a Quick Ball, use Wobbuffet first, then chuck Ultra/Dusk until they wake up and run, at which point you reload your save (to get them sleeping again)?

Andrex said:
In HeartGold and SoulSilver (and only those games) Power Items transfer down the corresponding stat's IV of one of the parent Pokemon during breeding. Knowing this, you can guarantee at most two IVs of a child Pokemon. 645 will go into greater depth than I but the easiest way to IV breed is to have an assortment of all-31 IV Dittos around for breeding. Even if not all six perfect IVs pass down, the IVs over all will be generally superior than using a non-perfect IV Ditto.

The stat to focus on seems to be speed, however. If you're trying to train a fast Pokemon, always concentrate on speed first and foremost - even a difference of one point could make a huge difference.
Yeah, I get the gist of it, but I wonder about how power items work when breeding for two high IV stats as well.

I think I've just gotten extremely lucky with 3 pokemon with outstanding IV stats so far.

It would basically mean that I've already got about 7 pokemon with an IV assortment near or above...

HP 25
Attack 25
Defense 25
Special Defense 25
Special Attack 25
Speed 25

That is already a hugely massive overall improvement from normal pokemon or even EV trained pokemon.

Fake edit:
I've only got one ditto with all 31 IVs and it has taken me forever to get pokemon with the right natures, genders and characteristics.

It took me 3 boxes worth of togepi to get one that I liked.
:lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Such is the penalty for peasants like us who don't have Dittos of every nature with perfect IVs. :lol

Andrex said:
Such is the penalty for peasants like us who don't have Dittos of every nature with perfect IVs. :lol
You know what really sucks?

Two or three of the EV trained pokemon didn't undergo IV breeding procedures which makes them pretty useless to me(those extra 100 or so IV points are a HUGE benefit).

I've got a lot of work left to do.

:(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wow, it's really that high? I never noticed the increases IVs give compared to say, EVs. EVs are a lot more apparent for someone like me who doesn't pay attention. :lol

I just realized something. Between EV training and IV breeding it is actually possible for someone to manipulate just a little more than 300 stat points on your pokemon.

The system that game freak has built with this game is awesome. Over 300 hours into the game and I'm still finding mind blowing secrets that can change the entire perspective on breeding, items and pokemon strategy.

goddamn
Andrex said:
Wow, it's really that high? I never noticed the increases IVs give compared to say, EVs. EVs are a lot more apparent for someone like me who doesn't pay attention. :lol
Yeah, it's really that high. We trainers can have a freakishly massive effect on how strong our pokemon can be.

I'm honestly flabbergasted whenever I see how much there is to do in this game. Game freak has to try and make this process a little easier for us because there is just too much to do for one trainer.

ngower said:
Yeah, aside from Sableye, Milotic and Castform I only use Pokemon from generation 1 and 2, I'm keeping things as close to the original G/S/C as possible.

Heart Gold: Togetic, Mareep, Bellossom, Ninetales, Sableye and Milotic
Gold (original): Togetic, Ampharos, Meganium, Ho-Oh, Politoed, Espeon

Top Bottom