• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I know. It just takes too long between bouts. Also, I've been spamming the Battle Factory as opposed to the Battle Tower.

The thing is, I have like 6 pokemon planned that I want to teach Earthquake to. Earthquake is like 80BP. Not to mention the fact that I still have yet to teach my Feraligatr Dragon Dance. That's like another 80.

Dragon Dance is an egg move, not a tutor move. And you can always breed EQ on most things that need it.

Thank goodness to unlimited TMs 1-50 in Emerald though. :D

Little Green Yoda said:
Dragon Dance is an egg move, not a tutor move. And you can always breed EQ on most things that need it.

Thank goodness to unlimited TMs 1-50 in Emerald though. :D
The move tutor dudes at the Battle Frontier teach your pokemon all their available egg moves... if you've got the BP. My starter Feraligatr knows Ice Punch because of them.

And no, you can't breed EQ onto everything that needs it (genderless pokemon, for instance).

The thing I want from Black and White, more than anything else: re-useable TMs. I don't know if I can stand another generation where I only get to teach one Pokemon Earthquake. I know why Gamefreak does it, it's the same reason they still make two 99% identical games and sell them under different names, but it's gone on too long at this point.

The quickest way to get BP is to battle your way up to Palmer, beat him, and then throw the next battle to start again. That gives you 26BP. So for each individual Earthquake tutor you need to fight the first 21 trainers in the Battle Tower three times, and then the first three once more to get 81BP. That takes hours. And what's the explanation? TMs break when you use them.

EFF. THAT. ESS.

If HMs can be made on unbreakable discs (or whatever the hell they are), then TMs damn well can be too. TM26 is far more valuable than fucking Defog or Whirlpool or whatever.

The move tutor dudes at the Battle Frontier teach your pokemon all their available egg moves... if you've got the BP. My starter Feraligatr knows Ice Punch because of them.

And no, you can't breed EQ onto everything that needs it (genderless pokemon, for instance).

wat

That's the first time I've ever heard of this. Can't seem to find info about this on serebii.net or Bulbapedia either.

Ice Punch is a listed tutor move so that's why you were able to get it. A bunch of Pokemon that don't learn Ice Punch as an egg move can learn learn it as a tutor move. The fact that Feraligatr can learn it via both methods is coincidence only.

Little Green Yoda said:
wat

That's the first time I've ever heard of this. Can't seem to find info about this on serebii.net or Bulbapedia either.

Ice Punch is a listed tutor move so that's why you were able to get it. A bunch of Pokemon that don't learn Ice Punch as an egg move can learn learn it as a tutor move. The fact that Feraligatr can learn it via both methods is coincidence only.
Eh, if you say so. Bottom line is Feraligatr can learn Dragon Dance through these guys as well.

Just so you know.

Andrex said:
66 trainers in the Battle Tower? Eh, probably just two hours really...

Perhaps, but that's two hours of pointless grinding for every Poke who needs Earthquake, which is about 90% of physical attackers. It just doesn't need to happen. Two hours of grinding every time you want to use a Move Tutor, eight hours of Voltorb Flip whenever you want one of the Beam attacks; this currency is all kinds of messed up.

I have two DSes and a copy of Diamond so I can clone what I need, but it shouldn't have to be that way. All it would take is a slightly altered line of code, maybe a throwaway line from Professor Tree in B/W saying "The TM manufacturers stepped up their game and now they don't break on the first go!"

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Metroid Killer said:
I'll help you out. My fc is 5156-4291-4002. Once you post yours I'll go online in my game. Is there any item you need, I got lots of spare stuff.

OMG Aero, I only got 1 Heat Rock, I guess I was unlucky (used 300 watts and gots of other kinds of rocks -_-).
Damn, sorry man. My DS doesn't seem to like our wireless setup. Tried switching from WPA to WEP and I killed the whole thing - had to go wired and fix everything.

Really appreciate you offering to help out. Ok to hit you up once I'm wifi-capable?

B-Genius said:
Damn, sorry man. My DS doesn't seem to like our wireless setup. Tried switching from WPA to WEP and I killed the whole thing - had to go wired and fix everything.

Really appreciate you offering to help out. Ok to hit you up once I'm wifi-capable?
Sure no problem.

Hey OMG Aero, wanna get your Heat Rock now?

Got a few questions about the Pal Park, I've just reached it but they don't give much explanation about it.

1: How do you actually transfer the Pokemon? The guy only explains how to catch them.

2: Do held items transfer over? I want to bring over a Light Ball and a ton of Heart Scales.

3: Are there any Pokemon from gen 3 which are really rare or time consuming to obtain which would be better just to transfer over from Sapphire?

MNC

Azure Phoenix said:
Got a few questions about the Pal Park, I've just reached it but they don't give much explanation about it.

1: How do you actually transfer the Pokemon? The guy only explains how to catch them.

2: Do held items transfer over? I want to bring over a Light Ball and a ton of Heart Scales.

3: Are there any Pokemon from gen 3 which are really rare or time consuming to obtain which would be better just to transfer over from Sapphire?
You have to put your sapphire game into the GBA slot of your DS, then from the main menu, select migrate. Select the pokemon you want (I think items hold over, but they can't have learned any HM moves from that game - you'll have to remove it from the move list) and then head over to pal park and catch them.

last answer is up to you, I wouldn't really know without looking it all up. These are unobtainable:
http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/unobtainable.shtml

This is my first ever pokemon game and I just beat Lance. I don't even know where to start with the online stuff! I gather this next region has some stuff going on. But I am REALLY loving the experience of getting into things.

So as people have been playing the games, have you all been upgrading your pokedex and transferring everything over to the new games? So presumably Black and White will take my paltry 98 pokeymans when I open up.. the Pal Park.

God I'm the worst type of newbie.

Wolves Evolve said:
This is my first ever pokemon game and I just beat Lance. I don't even know where to start with the online stuff! I gather this next region has some stuff going on. But I am REALLY loving the experience of getting into things.

So as people have been playing the games, have you all been upgrading your pokedex and transferring everything over to the new games? So presumably Black and White will take my paltry 98 pokeymans when I open up.. the Pal Park.

God I'm the worst type of newbie.
Yeah the next region is Kanto, which is the area from the original Red/Blue/Yellow games. It doesn't have anywhere near as much going on as Johto (or the original R/B/Y) so you'll probably plow through quickly. For long term Pokemon players is great getting to see Kanto again though.

I've been catching nearly everything as I go, and getting a few crucial team members from other players so I think my Pokedex was at about 150 caught before clearing the Elite Four. I'm only using the Pal Park to fill up the Pokedex.

I got a Mightyena last night and leveled it up until it learned the move "thief". I must have used it on at least 25 electabuzz right now and I haven't gotten a single electirizer.

Am I doing something wrong?

Wichu

SolarPowered said:
I got a Mightyena last night and leveled it up until it learned the move "thief". I must have used it on at least 25 electabuzz right now and I haven't gotten a single electirizer.

As far as I know, the chance of a wild Pokémon holding a 'rare' item is only 5%. Keep going, and you'll get one eventually (or you could just grab the one in Cerulean Cave, if you haven't already).

EDIT: Also, I recommend using a Linoone instead. Covet has 4 times the PP of Thief, and the same effect. Plus even if you don't get the Electirizer, you have a 10% chance of getting a different item (if you have Pickup as your ability). The only downside is that you have to check your Pokémon after each battle; if it's holding something from Pickup, it won't be able to steal items.

vhfive

SolarPowered said:

Have a butterfree in the lead spot on your team (it can even be fainted) and you'll increase your chances of getting an item.

So I've finally given up and looked online, now even more frustrated realizing I wont get a Sunstone, shiny or dusk until way later in the game :(

cory

Banned
HenryGale said:
So I've finally given up and looked online, now even more frustrated realizing I wont get a Sunstone, shiny or dusk until way later in the game :(
Bug-Catching Contest First Prize for Sunstone, which is held today.

HenryGale said:
You can get them at the Pokeatlhon.

Check here to see which ones you can get each day.

SolarPowered said:

Electabuzz doesn't hold Electirizer in Heart Gold. You can only get 1 and that is in cerulean cave.

bluemax

Banned
Suggested movesets:

Ampharos:

Discharge
Light Screen (Very useful against the first E4 trainer)
Thunder Wave
Power Gem / Signal Beam / Special move of your choice

Dragonair

Physical attacks
Thunder Wave or other status-inducing move
Dragon Dance (if you can get it)

Starmie

Surf (more reliable than Hydro Pump)
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Flamethrower

Typhlosion

Dunno... have a look on Smogon. Don't go for just Fire moves though. Aim for good type coverage

Machamp

Superpower
Stone Edge
Seismic Toss
Bulk Up (if you can get it)

Alakazam

Hypnosis (he's fast enough for it to work)
Calm Mind (If you can get it)
Psychic
Shadow Ball/Focus Blast/Recover (i.e. he's so fragile, you may never get an opportunity to use Recover unless you've gotten some Calm Minds in first and even then, it won't help you against a physical opponent)

What's the best way of obtaining moves? Most of these come from TMs from what I can tell but their is a limited selection of what I can buy at the store isn't there?

Edit: Looks like I can get a few of them at the Battle Tower in Platinum, I only have 5 badges in that game maybe it is time to switch back...

I should have mentioned that I have Soul silver, platinum and leaf green.

I think I have a pokemon with compound eyes too so I'll just get to work on that.

thanks

Edit:
Do you have to faint the pokemon with the move "thief" in order to pick up their item?

I keep trying to get the damn item and I don't steal any items on the first hit so I just smack the wild poke with thief twice just in case.

bluemax said:
What's the best way of obtaining moves? Most of these come from TMs from what I can tell but their is a limited selection of what I can buy at the store isn't there?

Edit: Looks like I can get a few of them at the Battle Tower in Platinum, I only have 5 badges in that game maybe it is time to switch back...
At the point in the game you're at, I wouldn't worry too much about getting some of the more hard-to-get moves. It'd honestly be quicker to level grind and beat the Elite 4 using brute force and ignorance.

Level up your Ampharos and get better type coverage with your moves. Buy a Light Screen TM if you have to. Try to find some Heart Scales too.

cory

Banned
Forkball said:
GB Sounds is a great reward. Talk about nostalgia overload.
I forgot I could get that. 8-bit GTS & Rt 47/8 are nice. They should have went the extra step and had GB Mode, but that's asking a lot.

Pokewalker is great... I got two Munchlax with Leftovers, both with great Natures (low Speed), and one with superior IV's. One of my Beldum's was superior as well. It is a bit disappointing though to learn that rotating it with your hand furiously while you hatch eggs gets you more watts than a good hour of walking. :lol

Oh and I know I was bashing the GTS earlier, but I traded a level 1 Absol for a (hacked) level 68 Garchomp, so I guess there are nice people out there? (Promptly bred the Garchomp, then used it for E4). Sure beats waiting 100 days with the Safari Zone for one.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Axis said:
ok, so, i just realized i had an extra darkrai if anyone needs one?

I'll take it off your hands. >.> It's the TRU one yes?

Anything in particular you want? FC is 0560 - 9071 - 3586 and I'll be available all night.

zumphry

Banned
Well, that was unexpected. As a gift I got SoulSilver (guess I have to call it SuperiorSilver, even though I was sure I was going to pick up HeartGold).

Woo!

Axis

Andrex said:
I'll take it off your hands. >.> It's the TRU one yes?

Anything in particular you want? FC is 0560 - 9071 - 3586 and I'll be available all night.

check your pm's...i've been out for a while but will be around the rest of the night

Vect said:
I'm about to give up on farming for a Lucky Egg. All I've been getting are Oval Stones, fuck this.
I've basically held off on taking on preparing for the endgame (a second time) until I can get a swarm of Chansea, to make farming those so much easier.

There are only 20 swarm Pokemon for each version, and I think I've been waiting for the better part of a month for Chansea to roll so far.

Styles

Great will register you. I'll be on in a few minutes, do you want anything in return?

FC: 3782 1696 6690

Had the Chansey swarm since yesterday, I kept turning the clock back to prevent a different swarm from appearing.:lol

Vect said:
Great will register you. I'll be on in a few minutes, do you want anything in return?

FC: 3782 1696 6690

Had the Chansey swarm since yesterday, I kept turning the clock back to prevent a different swarm from appearing.:lol

Adding you right now.

Any competitive item would be fine. Focus Sash, Choice [item], Life Orb, Expert Belt, etc. Or an evolution item would work too if you have one.

EDIT: no prob, man. glad I could help!

Styles

Thank-you, you've probably just saved me hours of farming. Planning on building a competitive team so a Lucky Egg will really shorten the time immensely for when I train.

Here's a tip for those trying to farm items from wild pokemon:

Have a pokemon with Compound eyes ability(Butterfree) to be first in your party. Make it faint. Compounds effect still work.

Have a pokemon with Frisk ability(Stantler) as the second pokemon in your party, and teach it Thief.

This method will save you a lot of time. I got 6 lucky eggs in about 20-30 minutes using this method.

Axis

Metroid Killer said:
Here's a tip for those trying to farm items from wild pokemon:

Have a pokemon with Compound eyes ability(Butterfree) to be first in your party. Make it faint. Compounds effect still work.

Have a pokemon with Frisk ability(Stantler) as the second pokemon in your party, and teach it Thief.

This method will save you a lot of time. I got 6 lucky eggs in about 20-30 minutes using this method.

what gym do you run?

The Dark Knight Gym!!

dark-knight-poster-rules.jpg

Without the 'Knight' actually... oh, and there are rules!

Axis

Metroid Killer said:
The Dark Knight Gym!!

dark-knight-poster-rules.jpg

Without the 'Knight' actually... oh, and there are rules!

coming for you soon, sucka

do i need to ev train before attempting the battle frontier? i wanna be able to farm my own tm's and access to the move tutors

Wiseblade

My Gym's yet to have a single challenge... I'm going to be upgrading the team soon, so you might want to get your challenge in while it's still easy mode.

Top Bottom